Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It's been 19 months of this stupid pandemic poo poo, and people still complain when you don't turn on your webcam? gently caress, I haven't turned it on since Apri 2020, and then it was just to play a prank on people (I put on some filter that edited a cat on my head). It's useless anyway since I always look at my second screen anyway, and the camera is on the primary one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’ve not turned my camera on for a meeting more than about twice, because it’s a stupid Dell laptop with the camera down by the keyboard and I use external displays, and also because I don’t fancy showing you the little makeshift office I’ve created.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That is a company culture thing that I will never understand, and is part of my questions list to ask when interviewing. A friend did a short stint at a place where the expectation was camera on in meetings and he was strongly encouraged to do so after a couple of weeks of not doing it.

Being in a room for a meeting and controlling your face is one thing, but when behind a camera? Guarantee I would forget and be making faces or laughing at what people said inappropriately.

No cameras ever, gently caress that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The director of sales at my last job said that not having your camera on was like coming to a meeting and listening through the door rather than coming into the room. I'm glad I didn't work in sales and had a boss and colleagues who didn't care.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I once literally did the classic *head desk* meme in a meeting full of people when I forgot the camera was on

the real exaggerated UGHHHH *clunk* *lean way back*

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We got some bullshit "people feel isolated and we think it's important for mental health to see everyone's face" theory for why cameras are necessary.

gently caress off boomers, this is the internet age. I've got friends I've only known though an Xbox headset for 15 years and we do fine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ConfusedUs posted:

Quoted for unvarnished, unadulterated truth.

I'm just about the smartest person I know, but my test scores and poo poo are completely loving irrelevant. It's my output that matters, and I can output better poo poo, faster, if I take other peoples' learned experiences and incorporate them into my daily work.

One's capacity to learn means nothing unless they actually take the time to learn.

Yeah, maybe I score pretty well on one measure of intelligence, that just means I'm good at the type of thinking that test is focused on, not some overall genius of everything.

My best friend holds a PhD in radiochemistry, he's legitimately intelligent as all hell. He's also earned the "dumbest smart guy I know" appellation multiple times over, especially at festivals and concerts. He's a super chill friendly drunk, but maybe not so good with stairs...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

xzzy posted:

We got some bullshit "people feel isolated and we think it's important for mental health to see everyone's face" theory for why cameras are necessary.

gently caress off boomers, this is the internet age. I've got friends I've only known though an Xbox headset for 15 years and we do fine.

Even if that were valid, my coworkers are like the last people I want to see to fill that void.

The only thing I want to see is them carrying their load instead of "well Kyro's the only person without kids so...". :argh:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Here, let me dampen the echo chamber a bit. I'm so happy to be back in the office. Staying home all day, every day, was destroying my sanity.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

devmd01 posted:

No cameras ever, gently caress that.

I've got a friend that works for a company that requires whenever you aren't in other meetings, you join "ongoing meetings" with your boss so they can make sure you're at your desk working.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

nielsm posted:

Here, let me dampen the echo chamber a bit. I'm so happy to be back in the office. Staying home all day, every day, was destroying my sanity.

For me, the balance is somewhere in the middle. Previous job, we had to be in the office any 2 days of the week. Work was a 12 minute walk door-to-door. Absolutely perfect situation for me.

My current role is now WFH full-time but since my commute was 45-minutes I don't complain. I moved to a new state for the job, so my immediate social circle is lacking and I do agree it has weighed on my mental health.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Sheep posted:

I've got a friend that works for a company that requires whenever you aren't in other meetings, you join "ongoing meetings" with your boss so they can make sure you're at your desk working.

what

Weedle
May 31, 2006

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
:smithicide: I am hoping, praying that I will be forgotten about tomorrow when the office staff open enrollment Zoom meeting happens. I've dodged that poo poo for a year and a half, and I can't afford the company insurance anyway. Think I'll be running errands, since they already emailed out the packets and I use FoxitPDF so I can fill them right the gently caress out.

I don't even have a webcam on this craptop. If they make me go I'll stay unmuted and everyone can listen to my 4 insane kids playing and screeching in the background. :unsmigghh:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sounds like you need a raise. how hosed up is it that your employer doesn't pay you enough to afford their own health plan

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm dreading going back to the office but it's going to happen because one of the directors signed a 5 year lease right before lockdown and will lose face if we don't go back. That fucker will continue to work from home as he always has.
We have no infrastructure there, it's open plan so full of distractions and interruptions and everyone's been working just fine from home for a long time now. What a waste of two hours of my time every day that commute is.

I've got my home office set up nicely and I prefer the company of my cat over my coworkers.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Many companies have "reasonable" single plans, but jack it way the gently caress up for employee + spouse or employee + family plans.

But yes, they also aren't paying them enough.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

our covid protocols are basically designed to make this happen

quote:

Will the school require vaccination of students or staff?
No, we do not and will not require or mandate covid vaccination of students or staff.

How much will the kids be required to wear the mask while in the classrooms? When can my ES or MS student remove their mask? Who will make the decisions?
Students are not required to use masks when:
• at their individual desk area
• outside
• when participating in athletics or physical education activities
• when maintaining physical distance
The faculty will ensure the above criteria is being managed consistently room to room.

Will teachers be required to wear masks?
Teachers are not required wear masks when physically distant, ie at the front of the classroom providing instruction.

when i started working here, the director told me that the safety of children on our campus was our #1 priority. that guy quit and the new director seems to prioritize schmoozing and avoiding difficult conversations

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's just teaching the kids that survive this pandemic what it's like in the corporate world. No one gives a gently caress about you, your purpose is to fuel the capitalist machine so the CEO can buy another yacht. So you better do what you can to give a gently caress about yourself.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Weedle posted:

sounds like you need a raise. how hosed up is it that your employer doesn't pay you enough to afford their own health plan

DelphiAegis posted:

Many companies have "reasonable" single plans, but jack it way the gently caress up for employee + spouse or employee + family plans.

But yes, they also aren't paying them enough.

This. If I was single, I could absolutely afford the $15 a check for the single plan. However, my wife needs coverage too. Our kids have insurance through the state.

See, I live in Florida - one of those annoying loving "gap states" which means that I am poor, but not poor enough. My kids get coverage no question, because for our household size, we're well under the FPL. Florida didn't expand, though, so because I make more than 40% of the FPL for our household size, my wife and I are ineligible. Real fun when I need to see the doctor for a glut of issues (potentially including diabetes) and she needs regular checkups and meds because of her POTS and other things. It is frustrating to feel like I can't provide.

I digress, though. I don't make great money but it's enough to pay our bills, and I definitely have the potential for raises. At some point, if I advance in the company like I should, I'll be able to afford it. For now, though, it...is what it is.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sywert of Thieves posted:

It's been 19 months of this stupid pandemic poo poo, and people still complain when you don't turn on your webcam? gently caress, I haven't turned it on since Apri 2020, and then it was just to play a prank on people (I put on some filter that edited a cat on my head). It's useless anyway since I always look at my second screen anyway, and the camera is on the primary one.

Our cameras are also mandated to be on, so as a silent protest I've made this my Teams background:

Only about 30% of the people who see it actually get it and that includes people on my team.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

millions of children are going to be hospitalized and no-one in power will do anything because chuds might yell at them

~Yay, education~

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If those kids were billionaires they'd get stimulus funds and tax breaks. Dumb kids, just be rich.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

millions of children are going to be hospitalized and no-one in power will do anything because chuds might yell at them

~Yay, education~

I keep forgetting that not all kids are back in school already. My kids have been in school since mid July and being in AZ masks are completely optional.

We made it 3 days before the first positive case at school and haven't gone more than 2 days without at least one case at the school (one day had 11 positive cases). School buses now run 30+ minutes late every day because the bus drivers are all out sick and they just don't have the coverage.

We're hosed. :sigh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm dreading going back to the office but it's going to happen because one of the directors signed a 5 year lease right before lockdown and will lose face if we don't go back. That fucker will continue to work from home as he always has.
We have no infrastructure there, it's open plan so full of distractions and interruptions and everyone's been working just fine from home for a long time now. What a waste of two hours of my time every day that commute is.

I've got my home office set up nicely and I prefer the company of my cat over my coworkers.

Wife's job is selling their bad rear end recently re-done office. So they will be buying a smaller one since only like 6 people come in. If she has to WFH permanently she will probably find a new job since she likes going in to work (right now she goes in twice a week)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

duffmensch posted:

I keep forgetting that not all kids are back in school already. My kids have been in school since mid July and being in AZ masks are completely optional.

We made it 3 days before the first positive case at school and haven't gone more than 2 days without at least one case at the school (one day had 11 positive cases). School buses now run 30+ minutes late every day because the bus drivers are all out sick and they just don't have the coverage.

We're hosed. :sigh:

our entire faculty/staff got exposed at the mandatory in-person all-hands meeting the week before school started

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

~Yay, education~

To be fair, part of it is that the chuds are taking over the school boards too.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

chuds yell at the non-chud board members, who quit, and are replaced with chuds...

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I’ve not turned my camera on for a meeting more than about twice, because it’s a stupid Dell laptop with the camera down by the keyboard and I use external displays, and also because I don’t fancy showing you the little makeshift office I’ve created.

Heh. I know exactly which laptop. Dumb design.

I turn my camera on for our team stand ups and 1-on- with my direct manager. I don't give a gently caress about them seeing my "office".
Behold the mismatched white Christmas lights hanging from the ceiling of my cave-like garage! Yes, that's a sixer of beer on the gaming table behind me. Yes, that's a goddamn animal skull next to two swords on the wall. And for the first couple months of this bullshit you would have heard the drat 3d printer singing the song of it's people whenever I unmuted. (this is what happens when you let your boyfriend have the garage as his gaming space)

Fucks about these people, I do not give. Did I do my job on time and not lovely? Okay then.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I just applied for a new job :yotj:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

if i ever turned my camera on when i was wfh my catholic coworkers would have gotten an eyeful of all my wife's naked witch art hanging on the wall

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
One of the PMs at our company (that I thankfully never have to work with as his projects are for other software) sent out a long email last year with his protocols for Teams meetings with customers. It made the rounds. The items I can remember are:
  • Join at least three minutes before the meeting starts
  • Be muted if you are not speaking
  • Be dressed like you were on site
  • Cameras on the entire time
  • If your laptop has one of the cams at keyboard level, you can't use that. Contact the company help desk to get a USB webcam to use instead
  • You must enable the background option
  • The only allowed backgrounds are [screenshot with the backgrounds that look like offices circled]

He would email managers to complain if people joining calls weren't turning on the cameras. I don't think he was around when the head of the services department made the comment that all project members were equal, whether a PM, BA, or SE. PMs manage the project. Your own manager manages you. Plus there's the fact that our team was moved out of the services department years ago, meaning the only common node on the hierarchy was going all the way up to the owner.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

PMs often need to be reminded that they help engineers and not the other way around.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

PMs often need to be reminded that they help engineers and not the other way around.

:emptyquote:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Internet Explorer posted:

PMs often need to be thrown out of a sixth story window

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The funny thing is the first two line items are legit.

Then it just goes off the rails.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've mostly worked at small companies where I just bought poo poo willy-nilly from CDW or Insight, or bought from whoever else using a company credit card. Turn in my receipts, need a signature for anything over a certain amount...easy to do.

Here we have to get two bids. Even if I'm just buying a bunch of network cables or a couple monitors.

Email my rep at both cdw and connection (were supposed to have three quotes)

Back and forth email or call about what I want etc etc. two days later I had usable quotes, then I have to enter them into Dynamics, someone in purchasing has to process the order....

I have it improved a bit by getting an online account with the VAR so I can quite poo poo myself and get the worst part out of the way. But still...

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bob Morales posted:

I've mostly worked at small companies where I just bought poo poo willy-nilly from CDW or Insight, or bought from whoever else using a company credit card. Turn in my receipts, need a signature for anything over a certain amount...easy to do.

Here we have to get two bids. Even if I'm just buying a bunch of network cables or a couple monitors.

Email my rep at both cdw and connection (were supposed to have three quotes)

Back and forth email or call about what I want etc etc. two days later I had usable quotes, then I have to enter them into Dynamics, someone in purchasing has to process the order....

I have it improved a bit by getting an online account with the VAR so I can quite poo poo myself and get the worst part out of the way. But still...

I would agree that making GBS threads yourself is the worst part of any purchasing process.

However, I do have to question why it is part of your process to begin with.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I would agree that making GBS threads yourself is the worst part of any purchasing process.

However, I do have to question why it is part of your process to begin with.

:horsedrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

felt like making GBS threads myself every time i had to talk to our SHI rep. thanks for nothing, gareth