Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Root just posted some PPC shots of Marauders and I've come to the realisation that the first time I get a chance to even play the copy of Root I was gifted by a goon last year will be after Christmas with the new expansion :suicide:

Like it has definitely been on The List Of Things To Play, but the pandemic hosed over several game days I had planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

FulsomFrank posted:

You aren't fond of Pan Am? I've had it in my shopping cart for a while but just hold off pulling the trigger for some reason despite the fact I've heard nothing but good things.

Wingspan is a fairly good comparison to Pan Am, in that it's a solidly designed midweight game but one that perhaps isn't a great gamers game, full of all the things gamers like. It feels more like a heavy family game, a pleasant 90 minutes. It's more confrontational than Wingspan, and runs about as long as it should (which Wingspan doesn't). I thought it was decent and would be interested in playing it again.

quote:

Has anyone played Faiyum yet? I've read a bit about it and almost everyone loves it and it sounds great but its price in CanuckBux is ridiculous and I am getting very picky with my Euros lately.

Had a 2 player game of it which was strictly okay, but a subsequent 3 player game showed real promise. My one worry is that every game of it is going to be fairly similar, there's no dramatically different evolution of the board state. So, much like Fast Sloths.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

FulsomFrank posted:

You aren't fond of Pan Am? I've had it in my shopping cart for a while but just hold off pulling the trigger for some reason despite the fact I've heard nothing but good things.

I'm a bit biased, since I playtested Pan Am through many different versions, but I absolutely LOVE the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Infinitum posted:

Root just posted some PPC shots of Marauders and I've come to the realisation that the first time I get a chance to even play the copy of Root I was gifted by a goon last year will be after Christmas with the new expansion :suicide:

Like it has definitely been on The List Of Things To Play, but the pandemic hosed over several game days I had planned.

My gf and I purchased all the expansions for Root. Then the pandemic hit.

I also got March of the Ants, a game I really, really want to play.

Uggggghhhhhhh

On the plus side, most of my friends have been vaccinated and we've been discussing setting up four player (two couples) game days, masked, and I am very excited.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The idea of a 3 Day Board Game Event at my place has been unironically floated around my group, and it's gotten a bunch of interest.
Going to have a bunch of kickstarter games coming in soon as well, so there will be a MAJOR backlog of poo poo to play once my state is out of lockdown + we're all finally able to get vaccinated.

Speaking of KS - If you missed out on Dead Reckoning they'll be running it again next year due to the popularity. I backed for everything except the Saga 2 pack, so might pick it up depending on how much play it gets.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

Has anyone played Faiyum yet? I've read a bit about it and almost everyone loves it and it sounds great but its price in CanuckBux is ridiculous and I am getting very picky with my Euros lately.

Depends who you ask. They're pretty modular and if you play a lot of Istanbul I would recommend them all at least for you to see if they add enough to make you happy or not. That said, we play with the first expansion the most and don't touch the second as much. Ultimately we still just play vanilla Istanbul generally because the extra stuff adds just a bit too much extra rules remembering and fiddlyness for our tastes. Can you get the base game by itself anymore?

I've played quite a bit of both of these games and enjoy both of them.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I’ve enjoyed Istanbul every time I’ve played it but the person who owns it hasn’t been at board game meetups lately, so I was looking at getting the istanbul big box myself, although I haven’t played the expansions before. are they an improvement/is the big box worth it?

My spouse and I play with Istanbul and Mocha and Baksheesh every time. I think after buying that expansion we haven’t played vanilla a single time, unless were introducing new players to the game. I’ve always been tempted to get Letters and Seals but I’ve heard it’s a bit extraneous, and if you only play 2 player there’s probably so much real estate that it’ll become solitaire.

Infinitum posted:

Those faction names are kinda dumb. Bummer :(

And yes, similar experience over here- I waited ~6 months for the underground expansion, which arrived in like April 2020. I’ve played it a handful of times with my wife and that’s it

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 27, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Pan Am is great, and as a bonus it's even inexpensive. Excellent game, we enjoy it a lot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nonathlon posted:

Had a 2 player game of it which was strictly okay, but a subsequent 3 player game showed real promise. My one worry is that every game of it is going to be fairly similar, there's no dramatically different evolution of the board state. So, much like Fast Sloths.

How can you say that Fast Sloths doesn't have different board evolution between games when the animals in the pool can be varied and their initial location is chosen by the players?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Infinitum posted:

Speaking of KS - If you missed out on Dead Reckoning they'll be running it again next year due to the popularity. I backed for everything except the Saga 2 pack, so might pick it up depending on how much play it gets.

I have not seen previews or reviews of this, but the KS looks like they were pitching ideas for a game and just said "yes" to every one of them.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

I am glad I am not the only person who thinks this. People use the "BuT oNcE yOu KnOw ThE iNtRiGuE cArDs!" defense, but i was sorta having fun on my first few times until a loving card is played that made my whole turn meaningless; a card i had zero way of knowing if someone has or not; and that sours everything, esp. on the first few times I played. Like, someone has 1 intrigue card and is holdin on to it, and there is zero way to know what that card is, but you can be drat sure it will ruin SOMEONE'S fun at some point. "But that is part of the politics!" Yes, it's also part of the bad design.

Which sucks, because I like really like the cards/WP integration.

the intrigue card variability is dune imperium's main flaw. kinda wish the intrigue cards were tiered like the battles

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I’ve enjoyed Istanbul every time I’ve played it but the person who owns it hasn’t been at board game meetups lately, so I was looking at getting the istanbul big box myself, although I haven’t played the expansions before. are they an improvement/is the big box worth it?

Not exactly the same game, but with a similar mechanism there is also Yokohama (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/196340/yokohama)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Which is now out of print because the publisher went belly up?

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Infinitum posted:

Oh, I didn't know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

TMG only had English-language reprint rights; it wasn't their game. DLP have German and French rights, Cranio have Italian rights, and I think the Spanish edition is still in print also.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Morpheus posted:

My gf and I purchased all the expansions for Root. Then the pandemic hit.

I also got March of the Ants, a game I really, really want to play.

Uggggghhhhhhh

On the plus side, most of my friends have been vaccinated and we've been discussing setting up four player (two couples) game days, masked, and I am very excited.

I bought Dune, Sidereal Confluence and Oath during the pandemic :negative: I'm not very smart

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I also bought Sidereal Confluence remastered over the pandemic and it makes me sad because the quality of this version of the game is so much better oh my GOD.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jedit posted:

TMG only had English-language reprint rights; it wasn't their game. DLP have German and French rights, Cranio have Italian rights, and I think the Spanish edition is still in print also.

Oh good. Perhaps someone else will pick it up.

Had a look at grabbing Yokohama after I heard about them folding, but nowhere in Australia had new copies.
I might investigate used copies later, but I'm not that desperate for it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Loddfafnir posted:

Not exactly the same game, but with a similar mechanism there is also Yokohama (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/196340/yokohama)

I hadn't thought of Yokohama as being like Istanbul but it's a decent comparison. The difference being that Yokohama's search space for laying / moving pieces is smaller and tighter and it feels that that makes it a better game to me. If that's something that bothered you about Istanbul, might be a good choice.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

nonathlon posted:

I hadn't thought of Yokohama as being like Istanbul but it's a decent comparison.

This is funny to me because I've always heard Yokohama introduced as a heavier Istanbul. Like, that could have been on the box.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

looks interesting, but going up to 4 players instead of 5 is a problem with our usual number of players so I'll go with istanbul big box.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

Oh good. Perhaps someone else will pick it up.

Had a look at grabbing Yokohama after I heard about them folding, but nowhere in Australia had new copies.
I might investigate used copies later, but I'm not that desperate for it.

I randomed into it at a Comic Book / Video Game / Nerd Ephemera store with a board game section. Might be worth a trip (depending on local safety of course) if you can think of someplace like that in your area, since those tend to not get picked over as aggressively by board gamers. It's the same way I got Concordia between reprints at a gaming-slanted bookstore.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Unfortunately NSW, Australia will likely be in lockdown until the end of the year at a minimum - but I appreciate the heads up as there are 2-3 stores I'd probably hit up with older/preowned games like that.

The more I see of Great Western Trail 2nd Edition the happier I am with Drunk Infinitum purchasing it for me one evening :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gNiiNjOmdI

At least it has a solo mode for me to enjoy :v:

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
It’s really nice to see a publisher recognize what the first edition was lacking (meh player boards, tile shuffling, geographical incongruity) and incorporating that into future editions instead of dumb additions like the TfM 3D tiles. The changes to the obvious race issues are decent enough and the solo + new cow type and incorporation of elements from the expansion into the base are also nice to see.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Bodanarko posted:

It’s really nice to see a publisher recognize what the first edition was lacking (meh player boards, tile shuffling, geographical incongruity) and incorporating that into future editions instead of dumb additions like the TfM 3D tiles. The changes to the obvious race issues are decent enough and the solo + new cow type and incorporation of elements from the expansion into the base are also nice to see.

Truth. The expansion to GWT is one of the few that actually improves / fixes the base game. And that geography thing, where the cows were going the wrong way? Just odd, but really irritated me.

Xanasar
Dec 27, 2006

Loddfafnir posted:

I also find Spirit Island's rules to be extremely easy to teach compared to other games its "weight".

Each of the 5 phases is simple enough and it gives a nice flow to the game. Each of them can be summarized in one minute, and the rest can be covered quickly too.

1. Spirit Phase
2. Fast power Phase
3. Invader Phase
4. Slow Power Phase
5. Time Passes

I've played Spirit Island several times this last month and the wide variety of complexity and strategy for the different spirits you can play makes the game very easy to pick up without becoming dull in subsequent playthroughs. Some highlights:

Vital Strength of the Earth is very simple but at the same time feels very powerful. Your very presence is enough to armor the land against abuse from the colonists. Your actions are fewer and perhaps more predictable, but again are powerful enough to negate the effects of an army where you choose to concentrate your effort.

A Spread of Rampant Green is middling complex, letting you spread your influence like Kudzu and sacrificing bits of it to grind the invader advance to a halt. Unfortunately, you can only have so much influence on the board at once and much of your really cool abilities require you to concentrate influence so if you expand in the wrong spots, your strength has now become your weakness.

Ocean's Hungry Grasp is on the high end of complexity and it limits most of your power to the ocean and the coastal areas, but those areas belong to you and there your power can be near absolute. Anything pushed into the ocean is yours and it feeds you. Seriously, if you set things up right you can just eat coastal villages like they're nothing.

It's a super fun game and I recommend it. Just always remember to read your playmat before you set up otherwise you will need to dump all the tokens off your playmat in order to flip it over and read your set up rules, and then the other players will probably make fun of you.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Xanasar posted:

It's a super fun game and I recommend it. Just always remember to read your playmat before you set up otherwise you will need to dump all the tokens off your playmat in order to flip it over and read your set up rules, and then the other players will probably make fun of you.

Please. Real pros lift up the spirit panel and read the bottom from below with all the pieces still on it.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I wouldn't call myself a pro but pushing 50 plays I can confirm that this is what veterans do.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Seriously? I thought everyone would have worked out by now if you slide the board partly off the edge of the table you can crouch down and read it from underneath. No chance of spilling the presence discs off that way.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Just take a picture with your phone before the game.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

My wife and I broke out pipeline tonight. I think it will be a new favorite with us, and hopefully our group. I can see why some don’t like it, and it is a bit of a table hog, but it was very enjoyable and I felt there were options even when someone took the tiles you needed.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Just take a picture with your phone before the game.

My actual plan is think I'm going to do this, forget, and then look up the setup isntructions on the wiki

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

the holy poopacy posted:

Please. Real pros lift up the spirit panel and read the bottom from below with all the pieces still on it.

Then you get the wannabes who tip it so they can read better without thinking about it and they throw the loving pieces all over the table and one mysteriously vanishes forever, THANKS, JIM.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just get some clag glue and stick the pieces on before turning it over.

The reason I say clag glue is so it's easier to rip them off later.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Played Meadow over the weekend. Three player and we really enjoyed it! NOTE: Very AP prone, but other than that it was a good experience. It's a tableau building game and it didn't overstay its welcome. The cards are beautiful as well. When it comes back into stock, if you are looking for a lighter, tight game, I'd recommend it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

Played Meadow over the weekend. Three player and we really enjoyed it! NOTE: Very AP prone, but other than that it was a good experience. It's a tableau building game and it didn't overstay its welcome. The cards are beautiful as well. When it comes back into stock, if you are looking for a lighter, tight game, I'd recommend it.

I played it once at 3 players and really enjoyed it too. My surface impressions are that it's very brain burny with lots of sprawling decisions trees that would be tricky alone in a Splendor-esque tableau builder but add in a Cottage Garden but MORE style grid selection and also another board of bonus actions and more... whoa, it's something. Very pretty too, much cozier than Wingspan in my humble (but correct) opinion.

Also, for train veterans I need advice/thoughts:

Played 1867 at 6 players last night. Two had never played it before but everyone has played at least one 18XX before, and some have played dozens. For the third play in a row I found that the beginning of this game is insanely slow. It takes several ORs to hit the 3 trains/greens, which opens the floodgates and all bets are off but getting there is brutal. Money is so tight and the minors are only paying 50/50 so neither you nor your company is going anywhere fast. Almost everyone auctions minors off for as much as they can get away with (potential mistake?) but every company was between $100 and $150 or so, leaving the starting price at either $50 or $75.

Seeing as 2 trains cost $100 this is a fairly long time before you can grab a second train because the minors are required to half-pay, so even if you're sitting at $50-60 a run, you're staring at several sets of uninteresting ORs as you attempt to make that cheddar.

SO, thinking about it, what are we doing wrong? My first instinct is that you need to have a second Minor (similar issue to achieving enough cash to buy a train but possibly mitigated lightly by whatever Private you own and its relative value generated every OR) that in turn lets your shuffle trains around AND then takes advantage of the emergency loan system? (Also, we all had at least two Minors, just to be clear.)

After the shift into Phase 3 the game becomes a rocket with trains flying off the shelf but that grind to get there is remarkable. Also, my friend was aggravated by the option to merge and convert and claimed that converting was a brain-dead obvious choice compared to merging, something that was causing my brain to hurt attempting to understand his logic. I think he was just mad that he merged three of his own companies and didn't like the result, which is fair considering he wasn't totally clear on how they worked even though that was the one rule I was quite clear on and would have given him a do-ever had he requested it.

My only other complaint is that when everyone is running two Minor companies the game takes forever and you really have to be on the ball with pre-knowing your tile lay and route. The game has a few administration saving graces which is that the bank is an almost impossible-to-break $15k and the tile-trays are great so you can just throw down chips of whatever denominations you like and pass the trays back and forth.

EDIT: Is 1867 a fake "run good companies" type game like 1860???

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 30, 2021

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

I played it once at 3 players and really enjoyed it too. My surface impressions are that it's very brain burny with lots of sprawling decisions trees that would be tricky alone in a Splendor-esque tableau builder but add in a Cottage Garden but MORE style grid selection and also another board of bonus actions and more... whoa, it's something. Very pretty too, much cozier than Wingspan in my humble (but correct) opinion.

Also, for train veterans I need advice/thoughts:

Played 1867 at 6 players last night. Two had never played it before but everyone has played at least one 18XX before, and some have played dozens. For the third play in a row I found that the beginning of this game is insanely slow. It takes several ORs to hit the 3 trains/greens, which opens the floodgates and all bets are off but getting there is brutal. Money is so tight and the minors are only paying 50/50 so neither you nor your company is going anywhere fast. Almost everyone auctions minors off for as much as they can get away with (potential mistake?) but every company was between $100 and $150 or so, leaving the starting price at either $50 or $75.

Seeing as 2 trains cost $100 this is a fairly long time before you can grab a second train because the minors are required to half-pay, so even if you're sitting at $50-60 a run, you're staring at several sets of uninteresting ORs as you attempt to make that cheddar.

SO, thinking about it, what are we doing wrong? My first instinct is that you need to have a second Minor (similar issue to achieving enough cash to buy a train but possibly mitigated lightly by whatever Private you own and its relative value generated every OR) that in turn lets your shuffle trains around AND then takes advantage of the emergency loan system? (Also, we all had at least two Minors, just to be clear.)

After the shift into Phase 3 the game becomes a rocket with trains flying off the shelf but that grind to get there is remarkable. Also, my friend was aggravated by the option to merge and convert and claimed that converting was a brain-dead obvious choice compared to merging, something that was causing my brain to hurt attempting to understand his logic. I think he was just mad that he merged three of his own companies and didn't like the result, which is fair considering he wasn't totally clear on how they worked even though that was the one rule I was quite clear on and would have given him a do-ever had he requested it.

My only other complaint is that when everyone is running two Minor companies the game takes forever and you really have to be the ball with pre-knowing your tile lay and route. The game has a few administration saving graces which is that the bank is an almost impossible-to-break $15k and the tile-trays are great so you can just throw down chips of whatever denominations you like and pass the trays back and forth.

I have not played 61/67 at 6 players but generally speaking in 61/67, all of the 2Ts are gone either by OR1.2 or the top of 2.1 and the 3Ts should break in 2.1. The basic pace is you should be breaking into at least one new set of trains roughly ever OR set, though the game overall will probably run about a set longer in 6P compared to lower player counts.

67 privates are mostly not good and not worth face value, I suggest that you try getting out of the private auction with none and just start minors as cheaply as possible in SR1 and you'll see a rather different aspect of the game.

Taking advantage of loans to get trains faster is a given since loans are practically free and there aren't really any bad trains in 61/67, just better trains. One trick at the start of the game for example is starting 2 minors in SR1, buying a 2T in each one like normal, but then immediately buying the 2T out of the first one into the second one as well, making sure the first minor has at least $10. Then when the first minor runs again you can take two loans and get another 2T. Now you're running 3x2T compared to everyone else's 2. Also, don't be afraid to let minors get nationalized, they're often just a tool to move money/better trains into your good minors, then when they're nationalized you can re-use the cash to buy shares in merger rounds. In a recent 4P 67 game I nationalized a minor as fast as OR1.2 and it ended up being a pretty strong move.

Converting is technically better than merging since you're turning a single minor into a presidency as opposed to turning two minors into a presidency, but you don't always have the option because of the timing of nationalization.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just spent an hour and a half discussing game end upgrades for Pandemic Legacy because someone thought we hosed up the rules 5 games ago. :suicide:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm gonna get Pandemic Legacy to play with my brother and sister. I'm guessing Season 1 is where to start, but there's two versions: red and blue. Any differences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm gonna get Pandemic Legacy to play with my brother and sister. I'm guessing Season 1 is where to start, but there's two versions: red and blue. Any differences?

Nope. The only reason for two colors is to differentiate the game boxes if you're playing multiple campaigns with different groups.