Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
optional masking recommendations are the epitome of :effort:. they're even going after school board members that aren't for mask mandates. lol!

https://kttc.com/2021/08/30/former-byron-school-board-members-discuss-resignation/

quote:

Harvey, was in favor of optional masking, rather than required. In a statement she released to the community she cites harassment as to why she quit. The statement read in part, quote: "I stepped down because, truth be told, we have some very passionate community members. While this is a very trying time for all of us, some went to such lengths to harass myself and board members. They then decided to come after my business as a Realtor. My next fear was that my kids would be targeted."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

fyi the cartoonist is australian and the current tentative plan here is to OPEN BIDEN at 70-80%

that's even dumber considering how low Australia's vaccination rate is

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

mastershakeman posted:

yeah my mom has talked a lot about how terrible it was to see a neighbor get lifted onto the bus each morning, crippled from polio, and how big a deal it was when they were able to get their vaccines

My great uncle got polio at 22, 2 years before the vaccine came out and lost use of his legs for the next 60 years of his life. I use him as an example of “Yeah get vaccinated dummies, lots of people wish they could have afterwards.”

My next door neighbor (another old guy) told me he was in the test group for polio originally because his parents (who were farmers) knew enough people who died that they made sure their 4 year old kid got an experimental vaccine because the other option was so worse.

And here we are now.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Also this:
"According to Waller, on Friday, GCS was more than 100 drivers short due to absences and a shortage of people who are qualified to drive a bus."

I really wonder how these shortages in all sorts of socially necessary labor -- this, nursing, etc. -- are going to play out in the medium term. we've done everything to strip out as much humanity as we can from the positions themselves. anyone in charge is going to kick and scream to resist any improvement of pay or conditions, and without labor organization will likely succeed. nobody seems interested in cultivating a national sense of community or solidarity that would inspire someone to work for the good of their fellow man, and the last year and a half has been nothing but all levels of society doing the exact opposite and peeling away whatever sense of it existed at all.

I guess the only answer is going to be to double-down on austerity to compel it, but how hard you can move in that direction after people got a little taste of the corona-bucks and the superdole?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

hundreds of millions of people have gotten vaccines

when exactly do antivaxxers think theyre gonna start dropping dead or w/e they think

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Whoolighams posted:

a couple we know is taking a cruise next week with their two young kids. nice to have a sobering reminder nothing matters

gently caress 'em. Embrace rugged individualism and let 'em take their chances with their unboosted immunity and two wholly unvaccinated children.

It really is pretty hilarious how stark the gulf between "think of the children!" homophobic responses and "gently caress them kids!" pandemic responses have been

ethics as theater

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 365 days!

Zokari posted:

hundreds of millions of people have gotten vaccines

when exactly do antivaxxers think theyre gonna start dropping dead or w/e they think
From the crazies I've seen there's been a somewhat general consensus that the 4th shot is when people start dying, so fingers crossed!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Zokari posted:

do antivaxxers think

no

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Cam Newton has always been a dumbass, back when he was a rookie there were jokes/rumors that he was so illiterate he couldn't understand most of the playbook or anything written down.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
so Cam isn't vaxxed because he's dumb and not that he doesn't trust the US gov't (the tuskegee experiment)?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's even dumber considering how low Australia's vaccination rate is

no it's good to have the open up requirements set to a standard we'll never achieve (so we'll never OPEN BIDEN)

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

tenderjerk posted:

From the crazies I've seen there's been a somewhat general consensus that the 4th shot is when people start dying, so fingers crossed!

hmm good thing that these hypothetically deadly vaccines dont protect you from dropping dead from anything else

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is Antivaxx solely US or are these chucklefucks abroad too?

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
what happened with the goon whose kid’s school sent out a survey about mask mandates? was it another goon success story?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Cam Newton just went from starter to cut because he won’t get vaccinated.

Lol

Lmao

ahahahaha

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Didn't Cam Newton already have COVID last year? I remember him being in a commercial where he was working out and saying he'd been counted out before, then there was like a radio voice over saying he has COVID

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

LA County: lmao we did it (two weeks ago), we made school children outpace everyone else in new cases

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

it is 100% not a uniquely US thing

the world is dumb

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Pryor on Fire posted:

Cam Newton has always been a dumbass, back when he was a rookie there were jokes/rumors that he was so illiterate he couldn't understand most of the playbook or anything written down.

“black qbs are dumb” has been a thing in sports reporting since forever

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

FizFashizzle posted:

Cam Newton just went from starter to cut because he won’t get vaccinated.

Lol

Lmao

are we sure its because of that and not because New England is secretly racist?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gradenko_2000 posted:

if the r0 is still above 1.0 even when you assume a 100% fully-vaccinated population and no other NPIs, that's an argument to start mandating NPIs

now, even if you "only" need a population that's 70% vaccinated to drive the r0 under 1.0 without NPIs, but you know you'll get to 70% either just from factors that have nothing to do with the vaccine or the virus itself... then it makes sense that you would also need to start mandating NPIs

Australia's official plan is to open up at 70% adults fully vaxxed with "optimal public health measures" which apparently are "test, trace, isolate and quarantine" but not lockdowns, mask mandates or social distancing.

quote:

In an average year of influenza, we would roughly have 600 deaths and 200,000 cases in Australia. Any death is a tragedy, but our health system can cope with this. In the COVID-19 modelling, opening up at 70% vaccine coverage of the adult population with partial public health measures, we predict 385,983 symptomatic cases and 1,457 deaths over six months. With optimal public health measures (and no lockdowns), this can be significantly reduced to 2,737 infections and 13 deaths.

We’ve learned from watching countries that have removed all restrictions that there is no ‘freedom day’. We will need to keep some public health measures in place – test, trace, isolate and quarantine – to keep the reproduction number below 1, but as vaccination rates increase, we’ll be able to ease up further and it is unlikely that we will need generalised lockdowns.
https://www.doherty.edu.au/news-events/news/statement-on-the-doherty-institute-modelling

Our PM tried to make a rousing uplifting speech about it but holy poo poo look at this stupid bullshit:

quote:

“It is always darkest before the dawn and I think these lockdowns are a demonstration of that but the dawn is not far away and we are working towards that dawn and we are hastening towards the dawn. We should not delay it, we should prepare for it. We should not fear it, we should embrace it and we should move forward together.

“There will be those who will seek to undermine the national plan. There will be those who will seek to undermine confidence in it. I think their motives are clear. But there are also those who may fear it and have concerns. Our goal must be to help people overcome those fears and not give in to them because this can‘t go on forever.”
[...]
“The national plan we have developed and agreed is our pathway to living with this virus. That is our goal - to live with this virus, not to live in fear of it. It is a plan based on the best possible scientific, medical and economic advice.

“There will be risk attached to it, but there is also risk by remaining stuck where we are. We have to break the cycle, the national plan is the way to cut through, and for us to emerge from this Groundhog Day has to end. And it will end when we start getting to 70 per cent and 80 per cent.”
https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...10ae71e3999125e
:guillotine:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Covok posted:

they’re everywhere but it at least seems like they’re given more platforms in the US

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

space chandeliers posted:

LA County: lmao we did it (two weeks ago), we made school children outpace everyone else in new cases

The average age of a school teacher is ~40. So that tracks too!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

space chandeliers posted:

Conservative politician: Kids are too leftist nowadays with their ANTIFA and trans rights. And they demand we make sure the Earth still exists when they grow up. Not to mention that taking care of them and loving them interferes with getting 100% productivity from our workers.

Other Conservative: I think I have a solution to our "future generations of humans" problem.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

WaryWarren posted:

so Cam isn't vaxxed because he's dumb and not that he doesn't trust the US gov't (the tuskegee experiment)?

“I’m an elite athlete and millionaire, I know what’s best for my body “. Not a direct quote but what I’m assuming.

lil poopendorfer fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 31, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

pretty much all of the anti-vaxx movement in the Western world can be traced back to Andrew Wakefield in some form or another, but other countries have different "triggering incidents", so to speak:

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is an interesting intersection because this lies at the heart of the Philippine anti-vaxx movement.

One of the last big projects by the administration of President Aquino, who was Duterte's predecessor, was to do a mass vaccination program for Dengvaxia, which was a newly-developed vaccine by Sanofi to fight dengue fever.

Based on the manufacturer's recommendations, you weren't supposed to give Dengvaxia to people who had never had dengue before. Unfortunately, the Department of Health did not filter the vaccine recipients in such a manner, and instead just gave it to just about everyone that was identified as eligible in rural areas, working under the impression that dengue was so endemic to the Philippines, and that most people already had dengue before and were simply asymptomatic, that the number of people who never had it before (and thus shouldn't be given the vaccine) would be very small.

About a year into the Duterte presidency, Sanofi releases phase 3 trials data that mentions this danger, and the government immediately picks up on this and uses it as a way to bash the prior Liberal Party cabinet and president as a bunch of child-endangering genocidaires. They were never actually able to prove that anyone ever died because of the vaccine, but they kept repeating the idea that it was dangerous for the previous administration to have distributed the vaccine willy-nilly that made a lot of people fearful of taking vaccines in general.

Indeed, in 2019, we had an outbreak of measles specifically because infant vaccination uptake had collapsed in the wake of this Dengvaxia scandal.

And now this same sentiment is driving vaccine hesitancy for the COVID vaccines (on top of the specific hesitancy against Sinovac, though that one is driven by the liberal opposition's sinophobic propaganda instead)

Reading:

https://www.rappler.com/nation/sanofi-pasteur-dengvaxia-no-guarantee-dengue
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6183135/

gradenko_2000 posted:

The other thing I want to mention was that the official story of how bin Laden got got wasn't true either. A Pakistani informant did a walk-in to US intelligence and told them where he was, and they went in, and took him mostly without a fight, except Tier One Operations are bloodthirsty maniacs so they killed everyone and desecrated the bodies anyway.

The whole thing about Zero Dark Thirty where they do some intel poo poo, up to and including the fake polio vaccination drive* to track down bin Laden via his DNA was all just a front to A. hide the fact that they never found him via "traditional" means and someone just blabbed, B. they waited for months to go after him after they already knew where he was, C. they went into Pakistan without the consent of the Pakistani government and thus violating the country's sovereignty.

___

* this triggered a wave of vaccine skepticism and hesitancy across the region that is now hurting efforts to control COVID. Thanks, CIA!

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Business Gorillas posted:

"You need therapy" says person enraged at others not going to Applebee's during a pandemic

She's very healthy and sane, so anybody deviating from her deal needs help. Non-judgmentally too, it's good that we need help, we're sweetly touched, she loves just as much as if we were real people, it's just that there has to be something mentally wrong with you if you're not congratulating her for living her best life at the bars and on trips and so on

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 31, 2021

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

lil poopendorfer posted:

“black qbs are dumb” has been a thing in sports reporting since forever

Yes I know and it's usually wrong, but Cam Newton is famous for being one of the dumbest people to play any position in any sport, ever.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

My great uncle got polio at 22, 2 years before the vaccine came out and lost use of his legs for the next 60 years of his life. I use him as an example of “Yeah get vaccinated dummies, lots of people wish they could have afterwards.”

My next door neighbor (another old guy) told me he was in the test group for polio originally because his parents (who were farmers) knew enough people who died that they made sure their 4 year old kid got an experimental vaccine because the other option was so worse.

And here we are now.

If anti-vaxxers didn't believe the vaccine works, then why would them or their families getting covid change their minds? The vaccine wasn't going to save them anyway if it didn't work. The only logical conclusion would be that all these after-the-fact mind changers either didn't believe the disease was real, or didn't think it was as virulent.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

look if you cant cope with the normality of a 9/11 worth of people dying every day in perpetuity, no offense, but maybe you could use some therapy

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
CVS just lets you schedule a third dose without lying in the screening process so welp jab me the gently caress up

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Good Citizen posted:

they’re everywhere but it at least seems like they’re given more platforms in the US

/r/alwaysthesamemap

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

If anti-vaxxers didn't believe the vaccine works, then why would them or their families getting covid change their minds? The vaccine wasn't going to save them anyway if it didn't work. The only logical conclusion would be that all these after-the-fact mind changers either didn't believe the disease was real, or didn't think it was as virulent.

It was never about efficacy of the vaccine, or side effects, or any actual factual medical issue. The vaccine is liberal. Taking the vaccine would be admitting that they were wrong, their social networks were wrong, and their news sources were wrong. They would rather die than admit that they were wrong.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The FDA cleared the Pfizer vaccine and they all immediately came up with new excuses. The goalposts will always move.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I got a glimpse into the mind of an antivaxxer as they posted this at me:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/dG0vTgQztn3T/

which is some sort of video website in which a man who is clearly unwell talks about how mad we'll be when we realize what the government has done as the first of us begin to drop dead from the vax

normally I'd avoid linking poo poo like this on principle but I think some people were asking about the various ways that the antivax stuff gets seeded into the public consciousness and uh this is definitely one of em I guess

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/SoulfulHema/status/1352492940564697088

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

sanitizer theater, beware the miasma

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Throatwarbler posted:

I went for a colonoscopy the other day. They said I needed to take my respirator off for the anesthesia. I kept my respirator and did it without anesthesia.

I mean half the fun of a colonoscopy is looking at the screen.

hell yeah

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I feel like a lot of people are going to react to this with horror, but as far as I'm concerned it's an example of the child learning to ape motions and movements that she sees in her family (which is, you know, what a child DOES), combined with sanitizing stations being so ubiquitous that it shows that the public messaging on hand washing/sanitizing stuck (even if it technically isn't so helpful against COVID in particular)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

lil poopendorfer posted:

“I’m an elite athlete and millionaire, I know what’s best for my body “. Not a direct quote but what I’m assuming.

https://twitter.com/TylerRickyTynes/status/1432713552914272277?s=19