Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Cold on a Cob posted:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/08/30/vancouver-liberal-taleeb-noormohamed-real-estate/

Someone needs to heckle this dude in person with
"Hey try not to flip any houses on your way through the parking lot!"

$3.7 million?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I've been seeing friends over the last couple of weeks for the first time in ages, Covid Life, etc. I'm having a lot of fun with them complaining about house prices then, within 30 mins, them talking about how they are looking into buying a second place to rent out - no hint of self awareness.

"Why not concentrate on paying down your own home instead of leaning more into this?" - "WELL MY FRIEND DID IT AND NOW THEY HAVE A TESLA! - THEY WROTE IT OFF AS A BUSINESS EXPENSE!"

Feels pretty bad watching friends turn into cunts. These are *all* people that left Toronto ~5 years ago because it was too expensive, again, no hint of self awareness on this.

midge fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 30, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

midge posted:

I've been seeing friends over the last couple of weeks for the first time in ages, Covid Life, etc. I'm having a lot of fun with them complaining about house prices then, within 30 mins, them talking about how they are looking into buying a second place to rent out - no hint of self awareness.

"Why not concentrate on paying down your own home instead of leaning more into this?" - "WELL MY FRIEND DID IT AND NOW THEY HAVE A TESLA! - THEY WROTE IT OFF AS A BUSINESS EXPENSE!"

Feels pretty bad watching friends turn into cunts.

The entire structure of our economy and most every related government policy is encouraging this behaviour so I wouldn't exactly blame them for being semi-rational actors about this.

Decoy Badger posted:

I did some math on Toronto rent vs wages:

Rent increase for a 1br apartment, 2005-2020:
61%
Economic family income increase, same time period:
5%

Luckily, interest rates look like they're not going to rise significantly anytime soon so the ~half or more of the population who are getting squeezed of their entire income for living expenses can continue propping up the rest of the economy by borrowing more money..

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
don't hate the player, hate the game

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

mojo1701a posted:

$3.7 million?!

A low amount indeed. Sounds like one of those revered low income home flippers.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Cold on a Cob posted:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/08/30/vancouver-liberal-taleeb-noormohamed-real-estate/

Someone needs to heckle this dude in person with
"Hey try not to flip any houses on your way through the parking lot!"

local news is hammering this pretty hard so i wonder if the liberals are actually gong to have to replace him as a candidate. he even gave a terrible sound bite when asked about how many houses he had flipped saying "i don't want to speculate"

i think they distance themselves from him, especially if that sound bite starts getting used against the liberals as a whole (even though i'm sure every party has tons of people who do this)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Number19 posted:

he even gave a terrible sound bite when asked about how many houses he had flipped saying "i don't want to speculate"

Hahaha holy poo poo that's amazing.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Cold on a Cob posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo that's amazing.

he's the typical canadian political failcandidate who keeps running for different things until he eventually wins one by chance

he lost to jody wilson-raybould last election, lost in the recent vancouver city council election, and is now trying the federal seat again now that wilson-raybould isn't running this go around. just keep trying to win an election, any election, until you luck into one

that's the kind of candidate the liberals need to stand by

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Number19 posted:

he's the typical canadian political failcandidate who keeps running for different things until he eventually wins one by chance

he lost to jody wilson-raybould last election, lost in the recent vancouver city council election, and is now trying the federal seat again now that wilson-raybould isn't running this go around. just keep trying to win an election, any election, until you luck into one

that's the kind of candidate the liberals need to stand by

He also considered running for Vision Vancouver as their mayoral candidate.

edit: Oh wait that's probably what you meant by the vancouver city council thing.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...ampaign=3146957

quote:

Canada tax agency reveals secret study linking home prices to millionaire migration, five years after freedom-of-information request

- The 1996 study found rich migrants made more than 90 per cent of luxury purchases in two Vancouver municipalities while declaring refugee-level incomes
- A freedom-of-information expert said the study could have swayed the city’s notoriously unaffordable housing market, and delaying its release was a ‘tragedy’

l o l

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

large hands posted:

don't hate the player, hate the game

I feel very comfortable hating the players to be honest.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Number19 posted:

local news is hammering this pretty hard so i wonder if the liberals are actually gong to have to replace him as a candidate. he even gave a terrible sound bite when asked about how many houses he had flipped saying "i don't want to speculate"

i think they distance themselves from him, especially if that sound bite starts getting used against the liberals as a whole (even though i'm sure every party has tons of people who do this)

Canadian Debt Thread: I don’t want to speculate

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

midge posted:

Feels pretty bad watching friends turn into cunts. These are *all* people that left Toronto ~5 years ago because it was too expensive, again, no hint of self awareness on this.

This is so common.

Step 1: make a consumption based society where not having enough money makes it difficult to participate in society

Step 2: raise expenses until everyone is just barely able to get by

Step 3: fill in the gaps with cheap debt

Step 4: encourage the use of debt to generate ~equity~ through property ownership

Profit.

I don’t think there’s anything except meme stocks and Bitcoin that has provided a greater rate of return than real estate. People are desperate for money and they’re leveraging themselves to the eyeballs to get a piece of this market that seems to have no end in sight.

I will not be the least bit surprised if our country starts attracting extremely wealthy immigrants to inject their capital and keep this housing market going once local wages are no longer sufficient to buy a home anywhere. I wonder if the music will ever stop.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

No. You don't say. Extremely obvious thing was actually true all along.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Kraftwerk posted:

I don’t think there’s anything except meme stocks and Bitcoin that has provided a greater rate of return than real estate. People are desperate for money and they’re leveraging themselves to the eyeballs to get a piece of this market that seems to have no end in sight.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

img-another-obvious-bubble.png

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

eXXon posted:

img-another-obvious-bubble.png

Might be in bubble territory, but it's not nearly as far out of line with fundamentals as Canadian housing is, and at least USD is a reserve currency.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Point I was making is that the S&P 500 is an infinitely better investment than Canadian housing, even if it is in a bubble. It actually earns money and is diversified.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-toronto/2021/08/new-toronto-condo-benchmark-price-surpassed-1-million/

:eyepop:

quote:

New condominium apartments, meanwhile, posted a benchmark price of $1,091,648 in July, according to BILD, representing an increase of 9.8 per cent since July of 2020.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've always wanted to pay off a condo for the rest of my life.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
1.09M. Amazing. You need 20% down and a ~150k/year salary to afford a new condo in Toronto now.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
In which two Toronto bartenders on cerb are able to get a mortgage and buy a house in bracebridge

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The bad part is that he became a banker for RBC selling mutual funds.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
No no, you misread. That's what he dreams of doing. He's not qualified yet.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
.....and somehow becoming a landscaper at 40 is less taxing on your body than being a bartender. Wtf.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

sitchensis posted:

No. You don't say. Extremely obvious thing was actually true all along.

I can't believe that the astronaut families would do this :negative:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

So Bracebridge looks like the middle of nowhere but I looked and the prices are still quite high. They must have gotten one of the cheaper places I expect if their mortgage is half their rent. I saw a few things for around 250,000.

I can't imagine starting over again as a banking intern in my 40s but I hope it works out for them.

I prefer seeing this than the latest BlogTO article about 2 finance execs buying their 2nd Muskoka cottage for 3.5 million because it has slightly better lake views and then they can AirBnB it on the side.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
It's the muskokas.

I found the house they bought, for 290,000.

I have no idea how they got that mortgage. They must have had a cosigner. No bank would approve two unemployed bartenders on cerb.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

RBC posted:

It's the muskokas.

I found the house they bought, for 290,000.

I have no idea how they got that mortgage. They must have had a cosigner. No bank would approve two unemployed bartenders on cerb.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

quote:

The Liberal candidate for Vancouver Granville is refusing to provide details on how he treated more than 40 home sales over the last two decades when tax time came around.

This comes after NEWS 1130 reported Taleeb Noormohamed bought and sold at least 42 properties within Metro Vancouver within the last 17 years. Of those, 21 homes were bought and sold in rapid-fire style — in stark contrast to his party’s promise in this year’s federal election to bring in an anti-flipping tax.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/08/31/vancouver-liberal-candidate-home-sales-tax/

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

A home flipper and a tax cheat, what a winner. With the amount of press this guy is getting, I’d be surprised if the CRA wasn’t interested in taking a look at his file a bit more closely.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So a couple of places on Reddit have been showing insane rent hikes in areas of Canada without rent control. Apart from usual landlord ghouls is there a chance that this need for more cash is being caused by the skyrocketing property values making it harder to make mortgage payments? So a slumlord or a flipper needs to jack up the price to pay down their own mortgage by either stiffing a current tenant or finding a sucker to pay inflated prices on a house?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Possibly? I mean who knows. It seems unlikely in a market where credit is cheap and prices going up that cash is a huge concern generally. Maybe hiking the rent is a way for them to either get a higher return on an existing property, or sell easily if the tenant walks. But idk it’s all just speculation.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

We're going down the drain - more and more money to be spent on housing either through mortgages and rents will mean less discretionary spending across the board - more article blaming millennials are killing coffee shops, and boutiques when their rent is 60% of their income and they simply cannot afford to do such things as "see a movie" or "spend 80$ on a bespoke shawl"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Millennials are killing the avocado market after not doing exactly the thing boomers told them to stop doing

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The 2 overpriced condos I rented were definitely cash flow negative for the owners, equity only goes so far

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/1433504784384987139

Get used to housing getting even more expensive.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Was about to post that tweet. 30% of MPs are in fact landlords, shockingly overwhelmingly Conservative and Liberal. That fact alone is enough reason to vote for a local NDP candidate over the other two parties.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

https://twitter.com/Taleeb/status/1433235246749605889

Tax cheat RE flipper seems miffed at why the poors are pissed off at him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Hooooo boy wait until he learns about the French Revolution