Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I forgot about LondonWorld in the middle of the Thames estuary lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
meanwhile labour are no platforming the palestinian solidarity campaign at the conference lol

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

This is gonna look so loving cool when Greenland finishes melting

K9
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/DHBJones/status/1432679890420174853
https://twitter.com/DHBJones/status/1432684583405903874

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Have been wondering when sea level rises are going to start being factored into land development, blows my mind when I see see seafront developments not even 10m above sea lrvel

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

gotta grow the tumour

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's going to make some people's old schoolmates quite a lot of money, so of course it has to go forward

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Lazy copy/paste on the flags means the one on the right is hanging upside down, traditionally a signal of distress.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Somehow a theme park in Kent is a spectacularly depressing thought.

Initially thought they were building it near the wreck of the Richard Montgomery, but sadly the wrong part of the estuary. I was well into a theme park built next to a sunk boat with 1,500 tons of UXO on board

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

forkboy84 posted:

Somehow a theme park in Kent is a spectacularly depressing thought.

Initially thought they were building it near the wreck of the Richard Montgomery, but sadly the wrong part of the estuary. I was well into a theme park built next to a sunk boat with 1,500 tons of UXO on board

i double-checked this also lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

multijoe posted:

Have been wondering when sea level rises are going to start being factored into land development, blows my mind when I see see seafront developments not even 10m above sea lrvel

Gotta trick people into buying them while you can

Then the gov will bail out just the BtL landlords whose houses are underwater

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The nice thing about those boondoggle resort/mall projects is that they are fun to explore when they inevitably fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTQXQmWHOoI&t=105s

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

It has been confirmed that 70% of the parks attractions will be indoors due to England's weather conditions, allowing year-round operation.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

shirts and skins posted:

This is gonna look so loving cool when Greenland finishes melting
Unfortunately, the ice sheet on Greenland has enough mass to pull that the waters around it up, so sea levels will drop all the way to like Edinburgh, and only rise by about a meter around London, despite Greenland having enough ice to raise the average sea level by seven meters. I suspect that means just kinda lovely and expensive, and more vulnerable to storms, not "Cool monument to man's folly/Drowned City of the Goves".

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

No doubt someone's already pointed it out but those are some amazing Thanos jowls on that column topper pic.

He was probably purple before they got in there with colour correction too, as well.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i must have missed this but it looks insane —— what's the 1-2 sentence run-down of this "geronimo" the llama (alpaca?) thing being kept from its death but now was just killed??

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Unfortunately, the ice sheet on Greenland has enough mass to pull that the waters around it up, so sea levels will drop all the way to like Edinburgh, and only rise by about a meter around London, despite Greenland having enough ice to raise the average sea level by seven meters. I suspect that means just kinda lovely and expensive, and more vulnerable to storms, not "Cool monument to man's folly/Drowned City of the Goves".

Glacial rebound is much slower than the melting of the ice though. Scandinavia is still rebounding from the end of the last ice age 10,000 years ago.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

V. Illych L. posted:

it's going to make some people's old schoolmates quite a lot of money, so of course it has to go forward

It's OK*, it'll be that garden bridge all over again. Plenty of money for old schoolmates without doing anything so gauche as actually building anything.

*well, for the wildlife anyway

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i must have missed this but it looks insane —— what's the 1-2 sentence run-down of this "geronimo" the llama (alpaca?) thing being kept from its death but now was just killed??

something about the alpaca being at risk of tuberculosis and therefore to be put down. not that out of the ordinary except that it's an alpaca rather than a cow or whatever. people protested that the alpaca should live and keir starmer made one of his few definitive statements about anything ever, by declaring that it must die. today it was seized by a crack commando team to be humanely destroyed or whatever the gently caress. next up: time to kill 200 dogs and cats 'rescued' from afghanistan, as they're a disease risk

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

Glacial rebound is much slower than the melting of the ice though. Scandinavia is still rebounding from the end of the last ice age 10,000 years ago.
I'm not talking glacial rebound. The actual presence of a large mass of ice on Greenland is distorting the ocean, pulling the water itself up around it. The adjustment happens as fast as water can flow, essentially instantly.

I misremembered though, and the equilibrium point is actually closer to London. Of course the opposite effect is in play for Antarctica vis-a-vis everywhere else, so this pushes the equilibrium point northward, all the way to Iceland. Equatorial regions get double-hosed though.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm not talking glacial rebound. The actual presence of a large mass of ice on Greenland is distorting the ocean, pulling the water itself up around it. The adjustment happens as fast as water can flow, essentially instantly.

I misremembered though, and the equilibrium point is actually closer to London. Of course the opposite effect is in play for Antarctica vis-a-vis everywhere else, so this pushes the equilibrium point northward, all the way to Iceland. Equatorial regions get double-hosed though.

Oh wow, I actually remember reading about that now but only with regards to Antarctica.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

By Gove :monocle:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

something about the alpaca being at risk of tuberculosis and therefore to be put down. not that out of the ordinary except that it's an alpaca rather than a cow or whatever. people protested that the alpaca should live and keir starmer made one of his few definitive statements about anything ever, by declaring that it must die. today it was seized by a crack commando team to be humanely destroyed or whatever the gently caress. next up: time to kill 200 dogs and cats 'rescued' from afghanistan, as they're a disease risk

lmao can't imagine something like that causing such an uproar here in the states, different kind of crazy over here, but is this to do with the legacy of that big foot and mouth outbreak in the early 2000s?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lmao can't imagine something like that causing such an uproar here in the states, different kind of crazy over here, but is this to do with the legacy of that big foot and mouth outbreak in the early 2000s?
Obviously Americans wouldn't care, since tuberculosis is widespread there. I mean, for one you'd have to put down the entire homeless population just to be sure.

Honj Steak posted:

Oh wow, I actually remember reading about that now but only with regards to Antarctica.
In fairness, it's not the most obvious idea that the ice sheet is massive enough to pull water up that high.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
also the only reason it became news here is because a rich person tried to fight it in court and sold it to the papers as hiring a lawyer for the alpaca, an lawlpaca if you will

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

John Charity Spring posted:

Nope

alpsca farmer fails to do pre-import tests on her livestock. Alpaca arrives in uk, repeatedly tests positive for bovine tb. Law says the animal has to be killed, woman hires alpaca its own lawyer and does every trick imaginable to break quarantine and endanger livestock for multiple years. Kier starmer lusts for alpaca blood this whole time.

She finally ran out of appeals and has to follow a law she's been flaunting for several years. If she wanted the alpaca to live she could've just... sent it away

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/OxfordDiplomat/status/1432626175248060416?s=20

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
we actually have footage of the heroic killing of geronimo the alpaca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAeKNaJyNVE&t=17s

see how the executioner isn't even provided ppe. what a loving disgrace

e: gently caress you youtube!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
We couldve had an incredible high stakes parent trap remake starring David de gea and geronimo, but instead someone crowdfunded a legal and PR team for seven years while pocketing the profits from an unlawfully imported animal hacking bovine tb over everything near it.

gently caress that farmer, she doesn't deserve to retail in the luxurious hypoallergenic waterproof wool of the most noble camelid

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

With all the recent headlines like "McDonald's run out of milkshakes (except in Northern Ireland)" and "Nando's closes restaurants due to chicken shortage (except in Northern Ireland)" I'm kinda glad we were used as a blood sacrifice to the EU.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So all this alpaca stuff started because post mortem testing didn't show the other alpaca's to have bovine TB. Apparently thats pretty flawed as a recent infection wouldn't do the things you're supposed to find or something I don't know

anyway now i'm an alpaca truther

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1433025504790130689?s=20

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

multijoe posted:

You'd have a mind break coming to the Netherlands then.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Geronimo the alpaca was found dead in his cell this morning with a broken hyoid bone

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

kate hoey was never a northern ireland MP, she was MP for vauxhall

oh right it's GB news lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

terfs are having a severe normal one in scotland lol

https://twitter.com/FairHospitality/status/1432978182282661888?s=20

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1433112434949165058

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

An insane mind posted:

You'd have a mind break coming to the Netherlands then.

Belfast's long term tourism plans involve hundreds of millions ploughed into developing new attractions on land reclaimed from the sea.

The city centre is built on tidal mud flats. Before tide barriers were built decades ago, seasonal high tides would regularly flood the sewer system and spill out onto the streets. Even with those protections in place there have been 5 "near misses" in the last couple of decades where the sea came within cm of overwhelming the defences. Back in the 90s even one such event was considered a 1 in 200-year freak occurrence. A breach would put almost the entire city centre under 1-2m of water.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i'm just old enough to remember belfast before they built the weirs and my god did the place hum when the tide was low and the river mud was exposed

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

kip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They should've executed Geronimo at the Tower of London with a big old axe. Really pull out all the stops.