Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

By popular demand posted:

RE: Hard Hat Mac:

can anyone confirm that worksite lavatories are as dangerous as exposed wiring and riveting machines?

Sometimes on the jobsite the portapotties would fill up almost to the top, it was could get bad. I'm talking mound of poo poo 6 inches below the seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Someone wasn't wearing a hard hat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone wasn't wearing a hard hat.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mister Speaker posted:

I have this too, and I've talked to enough people with a similar fear that it must be a documented ___phobia of some kind. It's very unsettling thinking about what might be just under the waterline.

On Reddit, there's the /r/Thalasphobia sub that's full of pictures of various "creepy" underwater things...whales shrouded in shadow/low light, underside of boats, underwater rock formations, etc... but I'm not sure if it's a real word or not?

But whatever it is, I've got it to a degree. Images/videos of the underside of large ships freak me out, ESPECIALLY the propeller/prop. Just can't help but imagine getting sucked into it and chopped to bits.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

If firearms-fuckling counts as OSHA, then by god this is it.

https://twitter.com/eds_manifesto/status/1432420336906104836

What in the ever loving gently caress

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

DrBouvenstein posted:

On Reddit, there's the /r/Thalasphobia sub that's full of pictures of various "creepy" underwater things...whales shrouded in shadow/low light, underside of boats, underwater rock formations, etc... but I'm not sure if it's a real word or not?

But whatever it is, I've got it to a degree. Images/videos of the underside of large ships freak me out, ESPECIALLY the propeller/prop. Just can't help but imagine getting sucked into it and chopped to bits.

Thalassophobia is definitely a real word and a real, studied phobia. Though it's defined as a fear of the sea or other large bodies of water and is generally triggered by the water itself, rather than specific things in the water.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I'm not a special ops us army navy seals, but I play one on tv

Vlaphor posted:

Whenever I see a video like this, I'm reminded of my short stint in Walmart electronics, where customers would by a 70in tv, try to fit it in a 4 door sedan and then act surprised that it wouldn't go in. Had to unbox more than 1 tv in the parking lot to get it to fit.

Speaking of guns and TVs and Walmart, I worked in electronics at wally world when I was like 16 and a guy wanted a TV that was out of stock, and when I wouldn't sell him the display TV off the wall he flipped back his jacket to show his pistol and asked 'what if I shot you'

'You still wouldn't get the TV'

I was really dumb and didn't report it to managers or police

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 31, 2021

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

senrath posted:

Thalassophobia is definitely a real word and a real, studied phobia. Though it's defined as a fear of the sea or other large bodies of water and is generally triggered by the water itself, rather than specific things in the water.

It can get pretty severe. If I can't see inside the water, even if there are clear boundaries where a drop is, I'm terrified and want out. This even applies in video games. The oceans in World of Warcraft where they are a sheer drop into nothingness taught me that. I was able to control it for Subnautica but still occasionally start to panic and have to calm myself. Even just thinking about that kind of water makes me shudder internally.

Phobias are hosed up.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Fat Loser posted:

OSHA IV: Applying the seasonings to your skin is rather pointless since that skin is going to be removed in the drowning process anyways

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sentinel posted:

AY AY AY MI CABEZA

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

he flipped back his jacket to show his pistol and asked 'what if I shot you'

:stonklol: I'm gonna pretend he was making a really bad joke and that it was an airsoft pistol, because I had a friend I played airsoft do a dumb once. Halloween party, dressed up in $generic_airsoft_soldier_outfit with an M4 model AEG on his back, then he went to Walmart and missed the "code brown" call or whatever over the PA. Turned around when he noticed odd quiet in the electronics section (ha) and he had half a dozen cops pointing guns at him.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

D34THROW posted:

:stonklol: I'm gonna pretend he was making a really bad joke and that it was an airsoft pistol, because I had a friend I played airsoft do a dumb once. Halloween party, dressed up in $generic_airsoft_soldier_outfit with an M4 model AEG on his back, then he went to Walmart and missed the "code brown" call or whatever over the PA. Turned around when he noticed odd quiet in the electronics section (ha) and he had half a dozen cops pointing guns at him.

Where was this? I've worked in a store that size in Georgia when someone came through with a real AR on their back and mostly we just talked about the dude being an rear end in a top hat because A)it makes people uncomfortable and B)if anything did happen where you'd wish you had a gun, the guy super-visibly carrying a gun would be dead before they knew something was going on. Official policy on the Emergency Response flipchart was to monitor the situation, but if they aren't indicating that they'll be violent and you're in an open-carry state there isn't really anything to do unless the owners specifically don't allow firearms which then becomes trespassing.

I really hope this wasn't because your friend is a minority.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Obviously thinking about the guy shot by the cops for carrying a BB gun in Walmart that he picked up in the store and was planning on buying.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_John_Crawford_III

He was black.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Sentinel posted:

An attempt at Army of two back 2 back shootin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ62vngHgxg

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

D34THROW posted:

I thought a code brown is when somebody drops a poo poo in the aisle?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Non-zero chance he did

Uthor posted:

Obviously thinking about the guy shot by the cops for carrying a BB gun in Walmart that he picked up in the store and was planning on buying.

He was black.

Jesus christ

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Uthor posted:

He was black.

Don't skip this one. The guy who lied to 911 said "oops guess I was wrong" after the security camera footage was reviewed so he didn't face any consequences. And the cops of course gave clear and concise commands that he didn't respond to appropriately before immediately shooting him so they aren't held responsible.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
On top of it, Ohio is open carry. And like Atticus said, they apparently started shooting as soon as they entered the store.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Cat Hatter posted:

Where was this? I've worked in a store that size in Georgia when someone came through with a real AR on their back and mostly we just talked about the dude being an rear end in a top hat because A)it makes people uncomfortable and B)if anything did happen where you'd wish you had a gun, the guy super-visibly carrying a gun would be dead before they knew something was going on. Official policy on the Emergency Response flipchart was to monitor the situation, but if they aren't indicating that they'll be violent and you're in an open-carry state there isn't really anything to do unless the owners specifically don't allow firearms which then becomes trespassing.

I really hope this wasn't because your friend is a minority.

Florida, but he was in a Walmart in a very blue county. If I was the manager I would have flipped too at a dude in a tac vest, helmet, camo, and what looked like a real AR (because in the US we don't have to keep the orange flash hiders that say "fake gun"). He is not a minority, he is very white.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/zLHVZXx.gifv

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/lxNuYGR.mp4

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Why does the Orb Factory require such cold-weather clothing?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

What are they even making here? My best guess is super-sized industrial bearings of some sort, but I'd expect bearing manufacture to be more precise unless it's only the beginning of the process.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eh, it looks like glass to me, which while hot isn't posing a mortal threat to those around it. See glass blowers for reference.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Finally, my balls of steel have been forged.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

sound on

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wrr posted:

Why does the Orb Factory require such cold-weather clothing?

Protection from radiant heat

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Serephina posted:

Eh, it looks like glass to me, which while hot isn't posing a mortal threat to those around it. See glass blowers for reference.

Yeah, that makes sense too.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Those being balls raises further questions such as “why”

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

champagne posting posted:

Logistics, I expect. It's probably easier to package and transport of a ball of whatever that stuff is than a lump.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

champagne posting posted:

It’s the Fondil factory, obviously

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Spicy grapefruits

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
"While most navies abandoned heated shot along with wooden ships, the swiss navy continued development into quite the sophisticated operation."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xakura posted:

"While most navies abandoned heated shot along with wooden ships, the swiss navy continued development into quite the sophisticated operation."

Making cannonballs was extremely OSHA thread, actually.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Serephina posted:

What makes you think those are made of glass? Why would you even say that?

The way they are quenched into a vat of water after an engineered amount of time makes me think they're bearings in the heat treating process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijzD4bDrleM

Found source video. They're absolutely balls of steel.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Well, that might be, but I wouldn't know how iron cannonballs were made from that link:p

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
They're ball mill stock. Ball Mills wear through their balls pretty quick depending on the mineral they're milling so you need a constant supply of fresh balls. This process doesn't make them round enough or anywhere near the spec you'd need for ball bearings.

Balls.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

If your definition of cannonballs extends to all ammo types like canister shot, maybe. But shot towers made small arms ammunition. Cannon balls were cast, I believe.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I used to be a big shot at the ball mill... that was, until my balls dropped. What a disaster... balls everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

StarkingBarfish posted:

They're ball mill stock. Ball Mills wear through their balls pretty quick depending on the mineral they're milling so you need a constant supply of fresh balls. This process doesn't make them round enough or anywhere near the spec you'd need for ball bearings.

Balls.

Balls. Balls. Balls made of STEEEEEELLLLLLLLL.