Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Burns posted:

I sort of wish there was more incentive to play lower tiers. They can be quite fun. Its also retarded that getting achievemnts yields next to no rewards now.

I know, it sucks. This is part of the problem—not to rehash my argument earlier—with the ‘free-to-play’ model of MMOs.

Eventually someone realizes, “these little things we were giving away for free with small bonuses, we could sell these instead of giving them away, or lock them behind something that encourages people to spend money on other things, like in-game currency!”

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Just out of curiosity does anyone else in here have an Arkansas Beta ?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MREBoy posted:

I do.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MREBoy posted:

I do as well

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Sure, never played it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MREBoy posted:

Yup.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I do as well, and I do bring it out sometimes too. It's a good ship.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
it is good but since the cv rework I've only taken it out like once or twice because it has literally zero aa and t4 matchmaking is double cv stomping on your face, forever

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://twitter.com/flamuchz/status/1430452336560902148

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Welp, rolled Missouri for 1500 doubloons as the first random bundle in the Pacific War event. Didn't even have to spend money for it since I had dubs from ranked lying around. Feels kind of lovely to get it basically for free when WG has been so awful about everything lately. But given its actual in-game performance I probably paid what it was worth :v:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It occurs to me that this kind of "I got real lucky" post is probably how they get people to gamble, so, don't spend money on this lovely event, don't be a fool.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Yeah. Back when the game wasn’t this awful there’d be folks posting their awesome Black Friday ship winnings and it definitely poured money into wargamings coffers. Don’t gamble, folks.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

The WoWS reddit is banning people posting the results of lootboxes, as well. I know I wouldn't have spent as much money without people posting their lucky rolls.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Strabo4 posted:

The WoWS reddit is banning people posting the results of lootboxes, as well. I know I wouldn't have spent as much money without people posting their lucky rolls.

Good. Lootbox poo poo should be AO/R18/etc.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Temporal Recruit rerun starting on September 8th - https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11496013

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ah, World of Starships

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

General Battuta posted:

Ah, World of Starships

That reminds me there was a WoW-esque space game in like 2017 or so that was pretty fun but the grind between the sparse unlocks absolutely killed it.

Anyone remember what it was called?

E: it was Dreadnought

E2: looks like it's been updated a lot since launch. I'll give it another go

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 31, 2021

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Velius posted:

Yeah. Back when the game wasn’t this awful there’d be folks posting their awesome Black Friday ship winnings and it definitely poured money into wargamings coffers. Don’t gamble, folks.

Three or four Christmases ago the ship in a box odds were objectively better.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrKatharsis posted:

Three or four Christmases ago the ship in a box odds were objectively better.

Tanks was the same. I want to say Christmas 2016 or so, if you bought a pack of christmas boxes you pretty much didn't have to hand over any money to the company for the rest of the year with the amount of gold & premium time that came out, never mind the tier 8 premiums dropping really often.

Then by the time 2020 rolls around its almost like the rewards have been slashed 75%

Burns
May 10, 2008

I have this feeling that the situation is reflective more of a player base that has stopped growing overall or is declining. Its sort of like a city whose tax base collapses due to people and businesses leaving. Whoever is left ends up carrying a bigger tax burden.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I don't know if anyone collected data on the boxes but I suspect much of "old Christmas boxes were better" is largely (a) people whaled on the old boxes and posted their results and (b) Wargaming has released a lot of non overpowered premium ships since then, so the premium ship drops are more likely to be balanced with tech tree ships terrible and useless.

I mean I wouldn't put it past Wargaming to reduce the drop rate but I'm not sure that anyone would notice.

edit: also nobody new is playing warships, whaling on Christmas boxes, and posting about it, so the buyers are people who already got a bunch of premium ships in old boxes

Burns
May 10, 2008

James Garfield posted:

I don't know if anyone collected data on the boxes but I suspect much of "old Christmas boxes were better" is largely (a) people whaled on the old boxes and posted their results and (b) Wargaming has released a lot of non overpowered premium ships since then, so the premium ship drops are more likely to be balanced with tech tree ships terrible and useless.

I mean I wouldn't put it past Wargaming to reduce the drop rate but I'm not sure that anyone would notice.

edit: also nobody new is playing warships, whaling on Christmas boxes, and posting about it, so the buyers are people who already got a bunch of premium ships in old boxes

No, the previous xmas boxes had better rewards. Didnt someone datamine the last xmas rewards and show that they were basically rigged to drop low tier poo poo first and basically no high tier premiums?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Burns posted:

Didnt someone datamine the last xmas rewards and show that they were basically rigged to drop low tier poo poo first and basically no high tier premiums?

Every version of Christmas boxes has had that. Here is a website article about the 2016 boxes.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/suspiciouspackages/

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The ship drops are not the thing that really bothered me about the boxes, what bothered me was the lowering of the other rewards you'd get from those. Combined with the holiday bonuses it was obviously way too 'generous' to continue. The big streamers (Circon in particular) highlighted that with all the rewards he got for simply playing the game in December he wouldn't need to give Wargaming a penny for 6 months.

As I mentioned when I bought the big bundle for tanks, I ended up with something close to 180 days of premium time and nearly 30k of gold out the other side. That gold lasted me well over a year of playing and retraining crews constantly.

2020 big bundle I came out the other side with about 100 days of premium and 15k of gold.

Part of that was that the 2020 crates had a bunch of the new currencies in it but it was still noticeably lower in premium time and straight gold. Was the ship crates similar? Less flags/dubloons/coal/steel etc?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Christmas 2019 had the 360 days of premium for $50 and that was cool and good.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
WG have put out a public apology for whats happened over the last few months, and in typical WG fashion the apology has opened another can of worms. They say they plan to release the drop rates of the containers and random bundles over the course of the next year. Why so long you ask? Surely its sat in a spreadsheet right now and not a mystery.

Well Shonai chipped in with an explanation that they need to do 'a fair amount of legal and techinical work to make it happen and to make sure we are complaint everywhere'.

So he's basically made it sound like the the drop rates are shady as gently caress and they could be breaking the law in some countries, most likely China. They are literally so bad at this.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I logged in to find a 6 hour chat ban. I appealed, submitted my replays, not like it matters much.

Normally, I deserve my chat bans. This time I was chat banned after a match where someone in a Bayern on the other team opened with a, “for the Reich!”

My response was, “Don’t be a Nazi. Please.”

He said something about ‘reich only is a reference to imperial Germany!!1!”

I said, “uh-huh… absolutely no association between the word reich and Nazi Germany.”

I said nothing else the rest of the match until I hit him with 6 torps (I was in a Fubuki), then I said, “owe! That hurt as bad as the Nazis losing all of their capital ships in WW2.”

Given all of that, I refuse to not submit an appeal ticket when the automatic system banned me because some Nazis took offense to me saying things that are just vaguely anti-fascist and reported me 7 times.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I logged in to find a 6 hour chat ban. I appealed, submitted my replays, not like it matters much.

Normally, I deserve my chat bans. This time I was chat banned after a match where someone in a Bayern on the other team opened with a, “for the Reich!”

My response was, “Don’t be a Nazi. Please.”

He said something about ‘reich only is a reference to imperial Germany!!1!”

I said, “uh-huh… absolutely no association between the word reich and Nazi Germany.”

I said nothing else the rest of the match until I hit him with 6 torps (I was in a Fubuki), then I said, “owe! That hurt as bad as the Nazis losing all of their capital ships in WW2.”

Given all of that, I refuse to not submit an appeal ticket when the automatic system banned me because some Nazis took offense to me saying things that are just vaguely anti-fascist and reported me 7 times.

The automatic chat ban system might consider "Nazi" a bad word, but another possibility is that you said something highly offensive like "I am gay," "oh poo poo" or "butt" and forgot about it.

You can get chat banned for "I am gay" and if you appeal it to support they respond with some dumb poo poo about how you have to realize that that statement is offensive to some people 🇷🇺🇷🇺🇷🇺

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

James Garfield posted:

The automatic chat ban system might consider "Nazi" a bad word, but another possibility is that you said something highly offensive like "I am gay," "oh poo poo" or "butt" and forgot about it.

You can get chat banned for "I am gay" and if you appeal it to support they respond with some dumb poo poo about how you have to realize that that statement is offensive to some people 🇷🇺🇷🇺🇷🇺

Oh, I have never been chat banned more than I have in wows, and 90 times out of 100 I earned it.

I’ve been on this kick lately of behaving myself—the worst I have said in the last 10 games is, “I am the Great Cornholio!” But seriously this chat ban was right after I poked a Nazi by making fun of Nazis losing the Second World War. :ussr:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

ZombieLenin posted:

Oh, I have never been chat banned more than I have in wows, and 90 times out of 100 I earned it.

I’ve been on this kick lately of behaving myself—the worst I have said in the last 10 games is, “I am the Great Cornholio!” But seriously this chat ban was right after I poked a Nazi by making fun of Nazis losing the Second World War. :ussr:

Next time make sure you deride them as the fascists who lost the Great Patriotic War. It doesn’t trip any automatic filters, it is equally correct, and the Soviet flavor of it will probably make them even angrier.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I like to open a battle with a good old, "Toot toot, Ahoy Thailors!". Or, "My sweaty seamen have been instructed to shoot hot loads all over your poop decks." to the other team. No chat bans yet.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I logged in to find a 6 hour chat ban.

:allears:

I've had at least 6 chat bans in 2021 alone, and each one is a week or more. I think I'm on a hotlist...I've decided to never type anything, ever, in ranked anymore as they have all come from that.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The more you get chat banned, the longer your bans are. Honestly it’s a good policy.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I always open with "who the gently caress is general quarters and why is he aboard my vessel?"

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I opened with "Attack formation Delta-4" and got a response of "Warp speed?" :spock::buddy:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Back in the early days, I sometimes saw people open with a public service announcement that "poi" stands for Pedo Online Identifier. Inspired some pretty impressive rage.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

(removed)

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Somebody Awful posted:

Back in the early days, I sometimes saw people open with a public service announcement that "poi" stands for Pedo Online Identifier. Inspired some pretty impressive rage.

That was one of my standard openers. "...they're legally required to disclose their offender status."

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Wows players are a weird mix of weeaboos and grognards so before the match starts you have to check the usernames and decide between "anime is for children", "poi to all the anime fans <3" or "Nazis were bad at war that's why they had a 0% war win rate"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/cabmech/status/1435670282988052486?s=21

Boss of the guy WG fired/blamed everything on just quit. this pretty much confirms what everyone already knew, he was being scapegoated and WG is a hosed up company with terrible executives.