Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

apatheticman posted:

We (Alberta) got a press release saying old people in nursing homes and immunocompromised people. They didn't even entertain a press conference.

Well Kenney is in France and Deena Hinshsw is currently halfway under the wheels of a bus driven by Tyler Shandro. They made a huge gaffe when they announced the best summer ever and they're afraid to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

iv46vi posted:

Here’s something I can’t figure out: Are the people forcing Trudeau campaign events to be cancelled in different places organize and travel around to follow him or are there really that much hatred for the libs all around Ontario.

The right always talks about paid left wing protesters and we know that everything the right complains about is projection, so it's 100% people who are being paid to do this.

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 31, 2021

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I felt that Hinshaw probably had the worst job in the whole world at some point last year. Then I woke up and realized that she is probably playing the long game and her self-interest is going to pay off in the long run.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Old Swerdlow posted:

I see that cities in Alberta are finally doing something about the surging COVID cases. My city Edmonton just voted to reintroduce the face mask by-law.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/covid-19-mask-bylaw-transit-city-council-edmonton-debate-1.6158454

Quelle surprise that Mike "Bought and paid for by the UPC" Nickel is one of the dissenting votes. I watched some of his pissing and moaning in a tweet after the vote. When our new cases are in quadruple digits and patients are being shuffled around from city to city for the possibility of room, a mask mandate is literally the least we can do.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Well Kenney is in France and Deena Hinshsw is currently halfway under the wheels of a bus driven by Tyler Shandro. They made a huge gaffe when they announced the best summer ever and they're afraid to come out.

hot icu summer

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

What has really irked me, and is what has caused me to inquire about this here, is the attitude of "gently caress those guys, make them get their vaccine this would all be over". I don't like to see groups of people being so eager to curtail the freedom of a different group. More than that though, mandatory vaccines won't end covid. It will raise the vaccination rate (and save lives) but not to 100%. Even if it did, the virus will still be circulating in the population, still infecting and maiming and killing people. I worry that unvaccinated people are becoming a scapegoat for the disease itself, even though their participation would not end the pandemic.

And as for unvaccinated people that get covid? Well, too bad. Let it be a lesson to others.

I'm kinda wondering what your alternative here is, if mandating vaccines and cutting down largely on the amount of spread and severe cases doesn't seem that useful to you. Like, am I interpreting this right when I read it as "well, mandates won't give us 100% vaccination rates, but even if it did, it won't prevent all deaths, so ???"

Because if so, I am struggling to find a fourth option after my beloved provinces choice of Let 'er Rip While The Premier Fiddles, vaccine passports banning public life for the unvaccinated, and a vaccine mandate with some sort of legal penalty if you fail to comply short of being lethally allergic to the vaccine.

So, what do you figure should be done here, as it seems you don't care for any of the other options?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
i absolutely would take the PC's money to heckle Trudeau, what an amazing job.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

half cocaine posted:

I felt that Hinshaw probably had the worst job in the whole world at some point last year. Then I woke up and realized that she is probably playing the long game and her self-interest is going to pay off in the long run.

Pay off how? She convinced people she was reasonable and trustworthy when she's been a blatant UCP stooge the entire time.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
"We can't mandate vaccines because it will make some people upset" is certainly a take. This is exactly why there are rules and laws in place that come into effect when there are extraordinary circumstances.

BC's vaccination rate spiked when they announced the mandate. People were bitching about it and doing their facebook posts but they got vaccinated. That is the point.
People have died because of the lack of hospital space available. It's not about the number of cases, it's about our ability to continue to effectively treat people instead of them dying at home.

And you prefer that to continue because you feel bad about imposing things on people in a global crisis.

I can't say I understand that perspective at all.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I don't know how many there are but I'm sure there are people that were just dragging their feet and weren't explicitly anti-vax until the mandates started happening.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The actual percentage of people who say definitively they won't get a vaccine is only about 10%, and it's been trending downwards (I think at the beginning of the year it was closer to 15%?)

https://globalnews.ca/news/7960345/covid-canada-vaccine-hesitancy-poll/

We're at 83% of eligible right now, so there's not that much room for more people to get vaccinated, but still, the difference between 85 and 90% is significant.

I've heard some people say that this will further push away the hardcore antivaxx people, but IMO they're a lost cause anyway, there's no rational argument that will convince them, and you'd probably have to get to the level of physically forcing a vaccine on them (which I don't see happening anytime soon). Besides which, if the end result is that antivaxx people just can't do non-essential risky activities while there's still a lot of active cases, but never get vaccinated, that's still a win in my books.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The way I see it the hardcore antivaxx problem is going to take care itself as they all liquify their insides with horse medicine.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

enki42 posted:

The actual percentage of people who say definitively they won't get a vaccine is only about 10%, and it's been trending downwards (I think at the beginning of the year it was closer to 15%?)

https://globalnews.ca/news/7960345/covid-canada-vaccine-hesitancy-poll/

We're at 83% of eligible right now, so there's not that much room for more people to get vaccinated, but still, the difference between 85 and 90% is significant.

I've heard some people say that this will further push away the hardcore antivaxx people, but IMO they're a lost cause anyway, there's no rational argument that will convince them, and you'd probably have to get to the level of physically forcing a vaccine on them (which I don't see happening anytime soon). Besides which, if the end result is that antivaxx people just can't do non-essential risky activities while there's still a lot of active cases, but never get vaccinated, that's still a win in my books.

Good. They compare themselves to genocide victims and actively hurt everyone around them. They're want to whine persecution, let them loving have a tiny bit of it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

UnknownMercenary posted:

The way I see it the hardcore antivaxx problem is going to take care itself as they all liquify their insides with horse medicine.

As someone (appropriately) added to one of my posts earlier: the problem is that while these loving morons do this, they're seriously messing up the health system for the rest of us because they're taking up ICU time and beds. In Manitoba (and I'm sure this has happened all over) a family was prevented from seeing their family member in hospital because the only room they could find for her was shared with an anti-vaxxer and it wasn't safe for the family to be in there with her.

(https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg-family-denied-hospital-room-visit-due-to-unvaccinated-patient-sharing-room-1.5566708)

poo poo like that is infuriating and I know people say "well let's make hospitals dedicated to non-vaccinated people" and that's a satisfying thought experiment but isn't happening so we need to consider more realistic ways to deal with these assholes.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Good. They compare themselves to genocide victims and actively hurt everyone around them. They're want to whine persecution, let them loving have a tiny bit of it.

So many of these people are white people in their 30s-40s who are experiencing a trivial inconvenience (having to wear a mask) but have lived lives of such privilege that they now think they're like holocaust survivors.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 31, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The problem with looking at the vaccination rate as a whole is that it doesn't account for the fact that most "communities" are either vastly higher or vastly lower than the overall average. If you break down the Alberta data by region, for example, there's areas where the vaccination rate is extremely good, and other where it's like 20-50% of eligible. Outbreaks seem to be burning through specific places, which is bad and affects our ability to provide healthcare -- despite an overall "decent" vaccination rate.

This is going to be very bad when schools open, because under-12s have 0% vaccination.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Won’t take a vaccine - will take a horse dewormer

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

enki42 posted:

I can't imagine how someone whose stance is "I will never take the vaccine under any circumstances" could be pushed further away. I think those folks would be more easily reached if more of their friends and family ended up getting the vaccine despite espousing similar views, than by society saying "actually, you're right, we don't care if you put us in danger, that's fine." Appeasement doesn't work.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

ZeeBoi posted:

Won’t take a vaccine - will take a horse dewormer

I blame Dungeons & Dragons for the fact that I keep misreading the thing as “horse dweomer” and thinking people are doing magic spells, and actually they kind of are.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Glimpse posted:

I blame Dungeons & Dragons for the fact that I keep misreading the thing as “horse dweomer” and thinking people are doing magic spells, and actually they kind of are.

I found out yesterday dweomer is literally a word Gary Gygax made up so yeah you’re not wrong

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1432705390760927253?s=20

This election is wild

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

So very close to scolding Liberal voters for splitting the NDP vote and letting the Cons in.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So uh how's that Green campaign going?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

yippee cahier posted:

So very close to scolding Liberal voters for splitting the NDP vote and letting the Cons in.

Looking forward to the liberals going full attack mode on the NDP and ignoring the conservatives

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

eXXon posted:

Essentially non-existant

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

enki42 posted:

Looking forward to the liberals going full attack mode on the NDP and ignoring the conservatives

liberals would absolutely prefer the conservatives take power.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

eXXon posted:

I really wish they'd chosen a better time to implode.

And oh good the giving PPC is still around and slightly more popular? Boooo.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Count Roland posted:

I really wish they'd chosen a better time to implode.

And oh good the giving PPC is still around and slightly more popular? Boooo.

I've been seeing more people standing behind that banner these days. They've taken the hard anti-vax stance and that's enough for some.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tomorrow the Green candidate for Ottawa Centre is going down to the Glebe to publicly close her accounts at RBC in protest of consumer gas-card rebate programs.

Not that she had much of a chance to win in Ottawa Centre to begin with. It might actually be a fairly close race. Naqvi is the Liberal candidate and he lost the provincial race against NDP Joel Harden, so Federal NDP candidate Angela McEwan might have a good shot at embarrassing Naqvi a second time.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lololol

quote:

First Nations leaders endorse Liberal candidate while at an NDP event

Two First Nations leaders from Manitoba endorsed a Liberal candidate running in the province's north while standing next to NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh at a campaign event.

Singh and two NDP candidates seeking re-election met with Manitoba First Nations leaders in Winnipeg last week to discuss some of the pressing issues facing Indigenous communities like housing and mental health.

While the chiefs said they were thankful Singh and his team organized this tête-à-tête during a busy election campaign — they said they would be backing Liberal candidate Shirley Robinson over NDP incumbent Niki Ashton in the Churchill–Keewatinook Aski race because they want more Indigenous voices in Canada's Parliament.

Singh promised to renew Canada's relationship with First Nations people after a traumatic year when preliminary investigations at a number of former residential school sites across the country indicated hundreds of children could be buried on the grounds. He said Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau is not doing enough to find the First Nations children who may be in these unmarked graves.

"The consciousness of Canada was shaken after the first discovery of the first 215 kids. ... It is pushing us to go beyond the words that we've heard from leaders in the past — we need action," Singh said at a press conference after the meeting, referring to the Kamloops, B.C., findings earlier this year.

"We want to be allies and we want to be standing shoulder to shoulder, to walk a path of justice, of respect, of dignity, walk that path acknowledging that we should be working with Indigenous communities as nation-to-nation partners," Singh said.

But the two regional chiefs on hand, the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs Grand Chief Arlen Dumas and Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak (MKO) Grand Chief Garrison Settee, made it clear that their loyalties lie elsewhere — at least in one race.

Ashton, a long-time NDP MP, is running for re-election against Robinson, a former First Nations band councillor from Cross Lake, Man., in the province's northernmost riding.

Settee said he has "nothing but respect for Jagmeet Singh on a personal level," but he's endorsing Robinson's candidacy over the NDP incumbent.

"The candidate that is running for our riding — she's Indigenous, and we want Indigenous people to get involved in this process," Settee said. "We have a vested interest in what happens in Canada when it comes to Indigenous people and we continue to support Indigenous people as they run."

The MKO, which represents 26 First Nations in treaty 4, 5, 6 and 10 areas of Manitoba, is officially "non-partisan," Settee said, but "we support all strong leaders."

"We will always advance our First Nations candidates," Dumas added. "I think that it's time for a fresh start in the north and I absolutely support Shirley Robinson for her candidacy," he said, as Singh and the NDP contingent stood on behind him.

Sette stepped forward and said, "I concur with that comment."

Ashton, who is not Indigenous, has been a long-time advocate for Indigenous and northern issues in Ottawa, pressing for an inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls and for clean drinking water on reserves, among other issues. She easily won the seat in the 2019 election with more than 50 per cent of the vote.

Ashton was not at the NDP press conference where Dumas and Sette backed Robinson.

Asked about the First Nations leaders endorsing Robinson, Singh said Friday that "it should be really clear that I support my candidate."

"Niki Ashton has been a strong voice for Indigenous people and has a proven record, and New Democrats, in general, have shown that we are backing up our words with action. People can't afford another four years of this Trudeau," he said.

Robinson has appealed to First Nations people in the riding — in which about 75 per cent of the people identify as First Nation, Métis or Inuit — to send an Indigenous person to Ottawa.

"We form the majority in this riding," she recently told a group of chiefs, as reported by the Thompson Citizen, a local newspaper. "What we need is a strong voice from a native speaker inside the halls of influence. We need an Ininiw voice in there. I am eager and ready to be your voice," she said, using the term for a Cree-language speaker.

"Sitting across the floor from government year after year does nothing to advance our dreams as Churchill–Keewatinook Aski communities, whether it's reserves or municipalities," she said, while touting past Liberal investments in the riding.

The Liberal government has made Indigenous issues a priority while in government, flowing billions in new funding to end drinking water advisories, repair First Nations schools, set up a new Indigenous-led child welfare system and revive Indigenous languages lost over centuries of colonialism, among other commitments.

On the residential school issue, the government has earmarked more than $300 million to help communities with their searches.

But Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau has also faced criticism for the slow pace of change on some pressing issues — the government has promised to implement all of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's calls to action, but work remains on many of them — and for ongoing legal action related to children's services. While 109 long-term drinking water advisors have been lifted on Trudeau's watch, 51 remain in 32 communities.

The end of the road for Niki Ashton?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Furnaceface posted:

CBC doing a story on how Alberta vets are running out of horse dewormer because of loving course Alberta.

In defence of this dumb province, it's not just stupid Albertans that are driving this thing per the article:

quote:

"One store said at its peak it was receiving requests for one to two online orders per day from out of province, many to downtown Vancouver."

Edit: /\ Feels like the NDP should start vetting their speakers a little more/at all

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 31, 2021

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Even if this turns around for the Libs by the 20th, the fact that it's going wrong so close to the end means whoever decided a snap election was a good idea should not be giving out ideas to political parties anymore.

It's probably the vaccine mandates hitting at the exact wrong time that's tipping it over. But they should have known that was a strong possibility and would make them less popular as the government in power, regardless of how much fault the Federal government has in their implementation.

EDIT: cursed but lulz

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 31, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The good majority are for restrictions and vaccine mandates though. We'll see how this plays out. It's the vocal plague rats screaming the most and also threatening violence on Trudeau.

Let em rot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Orthanc6 posted:

Even if this turns around for the Libs by the 20th, the fact that it's going wrong so close to the end means whoever decided a snap election was a good idea should not be giving out ideas to political parties anymore.

It's probably the vaccine mandates hitting at the exact wrong time that's tipping it over. But they should have known that was a strong possibility and would make them less popular as the government in power, regardless of how much fault the Federal government has in their implementation.

The snap election has been literally the Liberal plan for a year and a half, they just had to postpone it to absorb the pandemic handling into their platform. The whole thing has always been rigged at the leadership levels of the LPC.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

They definitely underestimated how angry people would be calling an election right now. I get that they were riding high in opinion polls but it seems like a real short-sighted move, especially when they knew a 4th wave was coming or was already here.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Arivia posted:

The snap election has been literally the Liberal plan for a year and a half, they just had to postpone it to absorb the pandemic handling into their platform. The whole thing has always been rigged at the leadership levels of the LPC.

Yeah I remember people expecting a mid-term election pretty much right after 2019, and yeah usually minority governments do it to try and grab the majority again. But if it was sheer momentum of the party that leads them to call an election at this high-risk moment, it's still on them and whoever pulls their strategy strings. I mean I'm never voting for the Libs so I'm totally fine with them shooting themselves in the foot. Just saying whoever made this call, make sure they're not calling the shots for whichever party you're voting for in the future.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Count Roland posted:

vaccinated people can still transmit the virus

I hate seeing this repeated as though it implies vaccinated people aren't any less likely to transmit the virus. They're much less likely to get infected, and even if they do get infected, their viral load is slightly lower and they don't remain infectious for quite as long. So vaccinated people are indeed much less likely to transmit the virus.

MakaVillian posted:

They definitely underestimated how angry people would be calling an election right now. I get that they were riding high in opinion polls but it seems like a real short-sighted move, especially when they knew a 4th wave was coming or was already here.

The polling says people don't like the timing of the election call but that it won't affect their vote.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder if they saw the back lash to provincial premiers handling of the third wave and cynically bet that the premiers would handle the fourth wave just as badly, and that would give the liberals a boost. People hated Ford at the peak of the 3rd wave. He's been hiding but will need to come out at some point. Unless he pulls a Kenney and hides forever. But people don't like that either. If things go bad the liberals will say "do you want a conservative federal government on top of the conservative provincial governments you have?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well Alberta isn't rolling out a vaccine passport. Instead they are releasing a "conveniently sized paper card" that shows your covid immunization records that you can download from the provincial health website.

Totally different!

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

tagesschau posted:

I hate seeing this repeated as though it implies vaccinated people aren't any less likely to transmit the virus. They're much less likely to get infected, and even if they do get infected, their viral load is slightly lower and they don't remain infectious for quite as long. So vaccinated people are indeed much less likely to transmit the virus.

At that point, you are in risk management territory which is a thing as a species we are REALLY bad at dealing with. Additionally I feel that there are a LOT of people that think vaccinated = immune, since that is generally how vaccines are perceived to work and media has incorrectly leaned that way (though not universally so.)

I would rather err on the side of being overly cautious on the risk of infection among the vaccinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

The conspiracy mind in me thinks that this election might have been a set up by insiders to turf Trudeau and bring in a new leader. I have heard a rumor that Mark Carney is being groomed as a replacement.