Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

UnknownTarget posted:

Rochester NY is the most boring blasted out hellscape of Chuds, neglected decay and car culture.

That's everywhere in the US with affordable living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gay_crimes posted:

replace neglected decay with unsustainable suburban McMansion sprawl and you got Texas buddy

robert frost already worked out your options here

quote:

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Car Hater posted:

gently caress, am I too late? Any lots near you for 25k? I can build a lean-to

there are, but hop on it!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

UnknownTarget posted:

Rochester NY is the most boring blasted out hellscape of Chuds, neglected decay and car culture.

rust belt you say?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

my apartment complex has become 70% vacant or so. the parking lot was being used as a scrapyard for abandoned cars. with them towed out it's now mostly empty. furniture is starting to pile up near the dumpster. looking fine.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
if whether a place is ‘nice’ or not comes down to owning a home there as a normal person, then the Midwest and rust belt is fine.

if you’ve given up that dream because you were born too late/don’t have a career choice that pays enough/are motivated by other things, you shouldn’t ever consider living north of St. Louis and west of Pittsburgh until you get to the Rockies.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Radirot posted:

my apartment complex has become 70% vacant or so. the parking lot was being used as a scrapyard for abandoned cars. with them towed out it's now mostly empty. furniture is starting to pile up near the dumpster. looking fine.

lol if all these mass evictions cause everyone to move in with their parents/together/go homeless and apartments just become super vacant and prices are driven downward (landlords will hold steady and rent prices will go up)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Penisaurus Sex posted:

if whether a place is ‘nice’ or not comes down to owning a home there as a normal person, then the Midwest and rust belt is fine.

if you’ve given up that dream because you were born too late/don’t have a career choice that pays enough/are motivated by other things, you shouldn’t ever consider living north of St. Louis and west of Pittsburgh until you get to the Rockies.

You heard it here, don't live in rural Ohio if you've given up the dream.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You heard it here, don't live in rural Ohio if you've given up the dream.

if you’ve given up the perfect place for you is actually Wheeling, WV.

make sure to bring a gun or something for when you want to check out, unless you’re interested in black tar heroin and crippling alcoholism.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Ironically, you described probably one of the better regions to live in once climate change starts biting.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Joey Steel posted:

Ironically, you described probably one of the better regions to live in once climate change starts biting.

I didn’t. The Midwest isn’t insulated from extreme weather, and the last place I want to be is where a bunch of insane reactionary theocrats live. especially when they already have control of the water that every Midwesterner is obsessed with.

I’d rather live somewhere nice instead and just kill myself when it gets too unbearable.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

anime was right posted:

lol if all these mass evictions cause everyone to move in with their parents/together/go homeless and apartments just become super vacant and prices are driven downward (landlords will hold steady and rent prices will go up)

So long as money printer continues to go Bbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrr why would they even think about lowering prices?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just signed a contract to get central air put in

Lol I wish I were renting.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Mr Hootington posted:

Global q2 gdp numbers are coming in and all are 1-3% misses. Canada contracted during q2 -1.1% estimated +2.5%. More previews?

stagflation is BACK :canada:

(it's mostly due to our housing market slowing down again despite rates still being at record lows)

edit: oh it's also due to reduced exports

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!
my apartment has been without a working ac unit since mid July and the reason is that all the ac units are from the 70s and they can’t get new ones lol

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

Just signed a contract to get central air put in

Lol I wish I were renting.

i just did this in March. owned

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Penisaurus Sex posted:

most of the Midwest outside of Indiana is pretty secular.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i just did this in March. owned

there is so much money out there I got 5 year financing for 0% on a thing that cannot be repossessed by the bank or anything

it’s strange. I don’t really understand the economy

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

euphronius posted:

there is so much money out there I got 5 year financing for 0% on a thing that cannot be repossessed by the bank or anything

it's simple. NUMBER go UP. they gave you that loan because it helps NUMBER go UP.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Number....

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I didn’t. The Midwest isn’t insulated from extreme weather, and the last place I want to be is where a bunch of insane reactionary theocrats live. especially when they already have control of the water that every Midwesterner is obsessed with.

I’d rather live somewhere nice instead and just kill myself when it gets too unbearable.

The Twin Cities (where I live) or Chicago would be great, gently caress living outside of dense urban areas though

The actual cities of Minneapolis and St Paul (not the suburbs lol) are pretty left wing, you may have heard of something called the cool zone

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

euphronius posted:

That is kinda surprising. Usually those 0% financing on major home projects are borderline scams. It usually ends up only being 0% for the first 12 months or something, then ends up being something outrageous like 18% or 24% after the 12 months are up. With retroactive interest applied to the unpayed principle.

At least that was the deal when we financed windows on my new house in 2019. Got a good deal on the windows, and new they needed to be replaced when we bought the place. We hadn’t sold our old house yet, as the first buyer fell through at the last minute. So we financed for like 3 months until the old house sold. Still made me super nervous having that potential 18% finance charge hanging over my head for a full house of windows.

Not to say that is what is going on in your case. Just the usual finance scam that occurs. Might be a thing where if you miss a payment, the rate shoots up or something.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

actionjackson posted:

The Twin Cities (where I live) or Chicago would be great, gently caress living outside of dense urban areas though

The actual cities of Minneapolis and St Paul (not the suburbs lol) are pretty left wing, you may have heard of something called the cool zone

wonder how left wing they'll be after 3 years of water rationing in the suburbs leads to all the insane people deciding to use their guns.

There is no escaping climate change and you can't insulate yourself by moving within the boundaries of America. If people are worried about that, they should stay where they are or move back to family and do everything they can to build a community. Moving to the Midwest because you can buy a house there cheap and that's all you really care about is fine. Moving to the Midwest from far away because you're worried about climate change is really dumb, don't do that.

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

I paid out of pocket for the AC install since the house already had vents + furnace and only needed a condenser + evaporator coil but my car is 0%. it's insane.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Penisaurus Sex posted:

wonder how left wing they'll be after 3 years of water rationing in the suburbs leads to all the insane people deciding to use their guns.

There is no escaping climate change and you can't insulate yourself by moving within the boundaries of America. If people are worried about that, they should stay where they are or move back to family and do everything they can to build a community. Moving to the Midwest because you can buy a house there cheap and that's all you really care about is fine. Moving to the Midwest from far away because you're worried about climate change is really dumb, don't do that.

I mean yes everyone will be affected by climate change, but some places MUCH more than others. If you decide to move to the Midwest because of climate change, and you are living in uh, basically anywhere in the southeast or west coast, that makes a lot of sense (or moving to an area in the NE that's not right on the water, like anywhere in VT). I think Louisiana is the absolutely worst state to live in in terms of climate change effects.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Penisaurus Sex posted:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/states-with-the-least-natural-disasters

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PawParole posted:

most of the Midwest outside of Indiana is pretty secular.

Up until the last decade or so, yeah. But evengelicals are ruining everywhere now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Orvin posted:

That is kinda surprising. Usually those 0% financing on major home projects are borderline scams. It usually ends up only being 0% for the first 12 months or something, then ends up being something outrageous like 18% or 24% after the 12 months are up. With retroactive interest applied to the unpayed principle.

At least that was the deal when we financed windows on my new house in 2019. Got a good deal on the windows, and new they needed to be replaced when we bought the place. We hadn’t sold our old house yet, as the first buyer fell through at the last minute. So we financed for like 3 months until the old house sold. Still made me super nervous having that potential 18% finance charge hanging over my head for a full house of windows.

Not to say that is what is going on in your case. Just the usual finance scam that occurs. Might be a thing where if you miss a payment, the rate shoots up or something.

I guess they make money off the 10% of people (guessing) who don’t pay off ?

I have no idea. I don’t get it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I mean yes everyone will be affected by climate change, but some places MUCH more than others. If you decide to move to the Midwest because of climate change, and you are living in uh, basically anywhere in the southeast or west coast, that makes a lot of sense (or moving to an area in the NE that's not right on the water, like anywhere in VT).

this is not a really accurate analysis of climate risks at all.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

man sure would suck if some sort of global event meant that we couldn't use past weather data to predict future weather events

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Unless you can sustainably put away 40--50% of your net income for years, you aren't saving your way into a house.

I did this by living with my older brother for like 7 years and got a 1500 sq ft. 3/2 middle 2020 before prices went insane

if my timing had been different I’d probably be locked out of the housing market

but speaking of places to live - this popped up on tiktok

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6991949767488179461

if I wasn’t afraid to leave Texas living in the Poconos seems ok
$12.47 living wage

wolfs has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Aug 31, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Penisaurus Sex posted:

if you’ve given up the perfect place for you is actually Wheeling, WV.

make sure to bring a gun or something for when you want to check out, unless you’re interested in black tar heroin and crippling alcoholism.

i once spent a few hours driving up a dirt road in the UP then hiking a few miles back towards some lakes that had a supposed Big Tree (we could not find it). we did find some guy's spot where he'd been bringing beer bottles for what looked like years, with just those and a chair looking out over a lake. i think a lot about that guy and wonder if he's happy and content doing that. i hope he is

all of you homeowners should be taking advantage of that 12-15 months of no mortgage payments then negotiate with the bank to tack them onto the end of the loan . i think that's still available? maybe its not anymore

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cold on a Cob posted:

stagflation is BACK :canada:

(it's mostly due to our housing market slowing down again despite rates still being at record lows)

edit: oh it's also due to reduced exports

1 up on the board. 1 more and you are in recession town baby!

Apr 7, 2003

wolfs posted:

I did this by living with my older brother for like 7 years and got a 1500 sq ft. 3/2 middle 2020 before prices went insane

if my timing had been different I’d probably be locked out of the housing market

but speaking of places to live - this popped up on tiktok

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/???????64??

if I wasn’t afraid to leave Texas living in the Poconos seems ok
$12.47 living wage

The Poconos is a nest of resentment right now because there's talk of a commuter train from NYC to there 3x a day eventually and they're upset that the wrong type of people might show up. I wouldn't live in NE Pennsylvania right now if I were given a house for free.

e: I just looked at that living wage link you sent and that's no bueno, Schuylkill County is *NOT* the Poconos and it's an utter shithole. Don't go near the coal region.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

if you don't live somewhere where you'll immediately die to disasters, like Paradise CA or Plaquemines Parish LA then the best thing you can do is be where you have community connections and are able to be part of an in-group.

trying to min-max your location at the expense of being the stranger-outsiders is far worse for your overall resilience than the marginal theoretical climate benefit you could reap, and there's a good chance you might be wrong and have hosed up your spreadsheet of predictions.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

1 up on the board. 1 more and you are in recession town baby!

Sounds like a good time for an election.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

The Poconos is a nest of resentment right now because there's talk of a commuter train from NYC to there 3x a day eventually and they're upset that the wrong type of people might show up. I wouldn't live in NE Pennsylvania right now if I were given a house for free.

e: I just looked at that living wage link you sent and that's no bueno, Schuylkill County is *NOT* the Poconos and it's an utter shithole. Don't go near the coal region.

there's a reason there is a NASCAR track called "Pocono" lmao

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joe Biden's economy near collapse!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

euphronius posted:

I guess they make money off the 10% of people (guessing) who don’t pay off ?

I have no idea. I don’t get it

I have no idea how many people trigger the interest rate increase, but it is super low risk for the lender. Because remember, these are usually for home improvements. So somewhere in the mountain of paperwork you signed is probably a notice that the lender will place a lien on your title if you fail to pay. And since home values never go down, they get their money in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Orvin posted:

I have no idea how many people trigger the interest rate increase, but it is super low risk for the lender. Because remember, these are usually for home improvements. So somewhere in the mountain of paperwork you signed is probably a notice that the lender will place a lien on your title if you fail to pay. And since home values never go down, they get their money in the end.

oh a lien right

sort of a quasi mechanics lien

also lol there is no paperwork. you can borrow huge sums just clicking on an iPhone app