Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
demolition derbies until there are no cars left seems like a pretty good use of the remaining automobile supply imo

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
twisted metal was eco-utopian

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
kinda wanted to visit my parents, 3 and a half hour trip, looking at about 80 in gas and my tires sre getting up there and need to be replaced anyways so im gonna be out 300 dollars total probably. thinking about how if i lived in europe id have some loving, what, 10 euro day pass for a relaxing train ride there and back that i could spend taking a nap or reading a book or just enjoying the view, and now i want to shove ice picks up the fingernails of every car ceo and american politician that's ever existed. lol!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Minrad posted:

kinda wanted to visit my parents, 3 and a half hour trip, looking at about 80 in gas and my tires sre getting up there and need to be replaced anyways so im gonna be out 300 dollars total probably. thinking about how if i lived in europe id have some loving, what, 10 euro day pass for a relaxing train ride there and back that i could spend taking a nap or reading a book or just enjoying the view, and now i want to shove ice picks up the fingernails of every car ceo and american politician that's ever existed. lol!

80 dollars in gas, 220 in tires, do u drive a V8 clown car

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
https://twitter.com/permianlandman/status/1432187493726756869?s=21

trains rule

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
gently caress cars

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

500excf type r posted:

buying used tires and thinking "yeah these are perfect for driving for 3+ hours away from my home"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

500excf type r posted:

this sounds like my rx-7 with its wasteful as hell old style rotary engine but also 13" wheels so rubber is extremely cheap for them lol

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

As someone who is a car, I find this entire thread highly problematic.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Minrad posted:

I traveled around Germany by train over a couple weeks for I think a grand total of about $90? with the experience of walking right onto my quiet car at the station with no lines or anything and barely noticing once we got moving while I read a book for a couple hours. Can't imagine ever choosing driving or even an airplane over that, it was without exaggeration one of the most pleasant travel experiences I've ever had. I think Americans just have no idea what it actually can be like

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the city here is in the middle of overhauling one of the lower use downtown streets to have a separate bike lane protected by concrete medians, to act as a sort of safe corridor for cyclists stretching east-west across downtown, and now the papers and subreddit have lots of people "very concerned" about the danger those medians pose and how much less room cars have lmao. All of this couched in "I'm just worried about the safety of those cyclists" language despite the obvious implication being that the only reason to want the medians removed is because you want to treat the bike lane as some extra elbow room

guidoanselmi posted:

As someone who is a car, I find this entire thread highly problematic.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

That was my uncle, you monster

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nitevision posted:

I traveled around Germany by train over a couple weeks for I think a grand total of about $90? with the experience of walking right onto my quiet car at the station with no lines or anything and barely noticing once we got moving while I read a book for a couple hours. Can't imagine ever choosing driving or even an airplane over that, it was without exaggeration one of the most pleasant travel experiences I've ever had. I think Americans just have no idea what it actually can be like

I'm still so angry about Scott Walker killing the rail line from Chicago to Minneapolis

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Nitevision posted:

I took the Amtrak to Chicago once, and despite the intentional disinvestment and problems that arise from running passenger rail on freight track, it was a nicer experience than driving in every way imaginable and better than flying in almost every way.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Erik son of Erik tweeting about a half mile walk utterly gassing him

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I'm about to head out on a 3 day bike trip in a couple of minutes. If some car driving gently caress head runs me over I want my last post to be in this thread

Didn't die and only had one driver yell at me. Not bad for 220km. Still hate cars tho.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

yard salad posted:

I took the Amtrak to Chicago once, and despite the intentional disinvestment and problems that arise from running passenger rail on freight track, it was a nicer experience than driving in every way imaginable and better than flying in almost every way.

I took the Amtrak from Rochester to NYC once and it stopped for over an hour in the hinterlands because "the switches don't work too well when it's drizzling"

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

I got an e bike it’s fun as hell and powered almost entirely by fish mulching bird splattering green energy. kicking on the maximum assist mode doing wheelies uphill motor going vreeeee like a jetsons car heck yeah

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

500excf type r posted:

no i couldn't afford a full set of four tires a while back so i swap out two tires at a time now

i drive a 2002 ford ranger because anything with better mileage is money i do not have

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Epic High Five posted:

the city here is in the middle of overhauling one of the lower use downtown streets to have a separate bike lane protected by concrete medians

I spent the better part of a decade in your city, and last time I managed to visit people there I was pleasantly surprised by the improvements to cycle infra. Maybe all those critical mass rides accomplished something, but more likely they just pissed off drivers.

Here’s hoping the usual suspects don’t manage to prevent the new improvements and also that all local cars are dumped into a disused quarry.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Loucks posted:

I spent the better part of a decade in your city, and last time I managed to visit people there I was pleasantly surprised by the improvements to cycle infra. Maybe all those critical mass rides accomplished something, but more likely they just pissed off drivers.

Here’s hoping the usual suspects don’t manage to prevent the new improvements and also that all local cars are dumped into a disused quarry.

They've been building paths and expanding them (as part of a plan to make them multi-use but still as safe as current ones for walkers) like fuckin crazy the last couple years, it's been surprising even for a city that is well known for cycling and being non-driver friendly

But yeah the drivers are convinced there's a relentless campaign of persecution being leveraged against them lol, but they seem to be ignored for the most part. It's 7th street from west of campus btw if you want an idea of how lightly trafficked a road they went with for this

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

cars are loving dogshit

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

the bitcoin of weed posted:

cars are loving dogshit

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

we still dont have a better use for vulcanized rubber (ie tires) than to burn it for lack of places to put it because we can't break it down or do anything useful with it once it's done its 5 years of service lol

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Minrad posted:

we still dont have a better use for vulcanized rubber (ie tires) than to burn it for lack of places to put it because we can't break it down or do anything useful with it once it's done its 5 years of service lol

speak for yourself, my air max gets me more % on rebounds and my jump game improved dramatically thanks to vulcanized rubber

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Didn't die and only had one driver yell at me. Not bad for 220km. Still hate cars tho.

better luck next time

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm a European who doesn't own a car and lives in a high-density neighbourhood with all of the facilities I need to maintain my day to day life just a few minute's walk away: supermarkets, hardware, pubs, restaurants, pharmacies, you name it. My workplace is a little further away - more than a mile and a half! Takes me a little under 25 minutes to walk there, when I do need to go in.

I still read this thread, 'cos I enjoy giving myself anxiety for some reason and all these accounts of bleak suburban deserts and hideous commutes stress me out lol.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

not him, he had a sick theme

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

here's me almost getting pasted by an eighteen-wheeler south of matehuala. my fault lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch16YmdUc9Y

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

one weird trick to destroy car culture with trains

https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/pf8vor/guy_simulating_the_sound_of_bad_brakes_so_the/

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i say swears online posted:

here's me almost getting pasted by an eighteen-wheeler south of matehuala. my fault lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch16YmdUc9Y

bicyclists :rolleyes:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Wrap it up wind turbines, those subsidies can't save you from the steel dragon

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
don't speed when u do ur kills pls

SD Public Broadcasting posted:

Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg won’t have to do any community service after he hit and killed a man with his car last year, but he faces a new charge for allegedly driving 22 miles over the speed limit.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

have we talked itt about how bull bars on trucks that city and suburb use as daily drivers that are never taken off highways and city/suburban streets, are bad? literally all they do is make the truck more deadly to other cars and to pedestrians. they should not be street legal, in my opinion. get em outta here!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

22 mph over?! :wth:

he might hurt someone at that speed!!!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lobster shirt posted:

have we talked itt about how bull bars on trucks that city and suburb use as daily drivers that are never taken off highways and city/suburban streets, are bad? literally all they do is make the truck more deadly to other cars and to pedestrians. they should not be street legal, in my opinion. get em outta here!

What's the ostensible purpose anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

they protect the radiator (most importantly) and superstructure of the front of the vehicle (secondarily) from impact damage, from collisions with animals, trees, or other vehicles. they can also be used to mount winches and light pods and other equipment.

like handguns they serve absolutely no legitimate purpose in the city and should be banned on municipal roads

e: kinda like a cowcatcher on a train

hot cocoa on the couch has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Sep 2, 2021