Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

and yet your pan liquid pools to one side is that the life you deserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Life is cruel and I will never be able to evenly coat the bottom of my cast iron skillet with oil. Monkey's Paw but like, the mildest possible version.

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat, i wanna make some cornbread now.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

more falafel please

forums poster

pnac attack posted:

did u kno: pretty much every oven what ain't built in has lil adjustable feet u screw in/out to level it? and u can also use shims if ur house is real hosed?

been meaning to do this for a long time and I don't think it's perfect but it's pretty good

another successful goon project

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Escape From Noise

My stovetop is built into the countertop. I really wanna buy a new fridge though. Like a pretty big one.

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

Heather Papps posted:

i couldn't find my level quickly and then felt like a dummy for realizing i just need to put the oil in the pan and watch which direction it goes. i raised the front a lil bit and i am currently lightly heating the pan to make double sure i got it perfect.

when i installed the oven i remember giving up on the levelling process and then instantly forgetting about it until you mentioned it. THANK YOU.

more falafel please posted:

been meaning to do this for a long time and I don't think it's perfect but it's pretty good

another successful goon project

these success stories mean the world to me

Mormon Nailer posted:

I have to post a picture of my stove when I make The Sauce, but I think it's going to take more than shims even. My main range unit is a Wedgewood that I bought out in Berkeley and had shipped in; it's in perfect condition but as with many mid century things like Boomers and condo complexes, it's not exactly on stable footing thanks to the previous homeowner's love of "rustic travertine."

I wish this expensive hell floor was normal.

big ol shims are still shims and i believe in you. awaiting pix for further analysis but i had a level stove in a shack with a 6" drop over 20'. it's the little things :)

----------------

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

pnac attack posted:

these success stories mean the world to me

big ol shims are still shims and i believe in you. awaiting pix for further analysis but i had a level stove in a shack with a 6" drop over 20'. it's the little things :)

Indeed. Stove is at home; alas, I am not until this evening.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Bo-Pepper posted:

bidet...rectify

Took me a minute.

Sig by Heather Papps

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
Afternoon orbs.
When you roll your Rs, do you use the tip of your tongue against your teeth or the back of your tongue/ maybe throat to make the sound?
This came up because The Child has started chewbacca-growling (back of the mouth method) and it is as adorable as you think.
Anyway, it was discovered that I can only do the front of the mouth sound and Jolo can only do the back of the mouth sound and we've each been rolling our Rs in our separate ways our whole lives. It honestly never occurred to me that anyone would roll their Rs without using the tip of the tongue.
So, how do you roll?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
byob has not developed shim technology yet

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luvcow posted:

byob has not developed shim technology yet

not enough points spent on that branch of the skill tree

----------------

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
I have mega toothache cause of my wisdom teeth has impacted, I'm miserable and everything sucks :(

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Finger Prince

Ok hear me out here...
What if...
Double decker tostada?

Flour tortilla, refritos layer, corn tostada, toppings.

Ass-penny

pnac attack posted:

did u kno: pretty much every oven what ain't built in has lil adjustable feet u screw in/out to level it? and u can also use shims if ur house is real hosed?

I actually read the last few pages and yeah I was thinking this same thing. Good luck to orbs everywhere with leveling their ranges, unimpacting their wisdom teeth, their cornbread (or lack thereof), your doctor appointments, and job changes (congrats hj), your cake flavored sodas, sauces, bidet installations, and posts with their pals in byob.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

biosterous

DaChurl posted:

Afternoon orbs.
When you roll your Rs, do you use the tip of your tongue against your teeth or the back of your tongue/ maybe throat to make the sound?
This came up because The Child has started chewbacca-growling (back of the mouth method) and it is as adorable as you think.
Anyway, it was discovered that I can only do the front of the mouth sound and Jolo can only do the back of the mouth sound and we've each been rolling our Rs in our separate ways our whole lives. It honestly never occurred to me that anyone would roll their Rs without using the tip of the tongue.
So, how do you roll?

i can't roll my Rs, despite trying for ages, and also having done the linguistic studies to know the exact mouth mechanics of the different Rs

i just can't, my mouth just doesn't do it!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rarity posted:

I have mega toothache cause of my wisdom teeth has impacted, I'm miserable and everything sucks :(

That sucks, any hope of them getting pulled soon? If not I hope they give you the good stuff so you don't have to be in pain.

Thanks to Dumb Sex-Parrot for the Christmas citrusy sig!

just turn that impostor syndrome into "I'm Poster" syndrome

biosterous

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_dental,_alveolar_and_postalveolar_trills

i can't do none of this

gallery of sigs

he/him

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!

biosterous posted:

i can't roll my Rs, despite trying for ages, and also having done the linguistic studies to know the exact mouth mechanics of the different Rs

same but with whistling

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

i can do both but feel like if i click this link i won't be able to do either anymore lol

----------------

Ass-penny

biosterous posted:

Yeah big :same: with the exception that I haven't studied or looked into it much :shrug:

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Stoner Sloth

DaChurl posted:

Afternoon orbs.
So, how do you roll?

hello welcome & chat - i generally in speech use the tip of the tongue but can do both

DaChurl

I only understood a small fraction of that, but I guess I do a voiced dental trill? Man, linguistics is a whole language unto itself.

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
it's ok i also don't understand what a single part of "voiced alveolar fricative trill" means

i thought i understood what a trill was at least, but now i'm not so sure

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

DaChurl

Sherbert Hoover posted:

same but with whistling

I can only whistle using my teeth and tongue. Similar mouth shape to the way I roll my Rs, which makes a ton of sense now that I think about it.

The thing I absolutely cannot do despite repeated and varied instructions is those magic-eye pictures. I remember getting one to work basically on accident in middle school but I've never been able to recreate the effect.

more falafel please

forums poster

Finger Prince posted:

Ok hear me out here...
What if...
Double decker tostada?

Flour tortilla, refritos layer, corn tostada, toppings.

this is basically an open face crunchwrap, so it would be good. or use a bigger tortilla, fold it up over all the toppings, grill it on both sides to seal it up and then you got a crunchwrap

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Sup page 3666

Ass-penny

aldantefax posted:

Sup page 3666

:whatup:

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

aldantefax posted:

Sup page 3666

Only two months until Halloween! :spooky:

more falafel please

forums poster

Barking Gecko posted:

Only two months until Halloween! :spooky:

only 3000 pages to get there! that's 50 pages a day or only 83 1/3 posts per hour until then

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

only 3000 pages to get there! that's 50 pages a day or only 83 1/3 posts per hour until then

I believe in us, we can do it

Thanks to Dumb Sex-Parrot for the Christmas citrusy sig!

just turn that impostor syndrome into "I'm Poster" syndrome

Finger Prince

this is basically an open face crunchwrap, so it would be good. or use a bigger tortilla, fold it up over all the toppings, grill it on both sides to seal it up and then you got a crunchwrap

I was thinking more open face double decker taco (which goes to show how long it's been since I made a run for the border). Also by laminating the tostada, it mitigates the one big drawback to tostadas which is that they break into pieces and spill their toppings everywhere.
The only reason I suggest tostadas in the first place instead of just making an actual double decker taco is I really like charras brand tostadas (especially the chipotle ones).

xcheopis

Mormon Nailer posted:

RELIANCE. I literally drooled over this thing for Y E A R S in the window and I finally just asked them "does it work and can I buy it?" IT WORKS. I BOUGHT IT. MINT CONDITION ORIGINAL FINISH.

ACTIVATE MODE: JEALOUS RAGE

ChubbyChecker

aldantefax posted:

Sup page 3666

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

Zil posted:

That sucks, any hope of them getting pulled soon? If not I hope they give you the good stuff so you don't have to be in pain.

I went to see my dentist at the end of 2019 when it was hurting really bad and the waiting list for wisdom tooth extraction was 4 months long and it settled back down soon after so it didn't matter and then I got the letter to have my surgery in the first week of April 2020 and as you can imagine there were more pressing concerns at that point. This is the first time the pain's really flared up since then so based on history it'll just suck like hell for 5-8 days and then chill out again

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

biosterous

Sherbert Hoover posted:

it's ok i also don't understand what a single part of "voiced alveolar fricative trill" means

i thought i understood what a trill was at least, but now i'm not so sure

voiced means you're using your vocal cords with it (like, compare the sounds "g" and "k", the only difference is that g uses your vocal cords and k does not)

alveolar just tells you where in your mouth your tongue is doing stuff

fricative is a fun word (and means there's like a bunch of relatively-harsh air flow, so sounds like "s" and "f" and "h")

trill means what you think it does hooray

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

i sent out two job applications, it was stressful but i did it and only put it off a little!

for one of the places the differences are basically "you take the same bus but not as far, you make a little more money, it'll definitely be better organized because it would be impossible not to be, you probably won't be fixing the printers as much", as far as i could tell from the job posting anyway

frankly i'd be pretty happy with all those changes even if there's no massive improvement. here's hoping!

gallery of sigs

he/him

Gramps

DaChurl posted:

Afternoon orbs.
So, how do you roll?

Depends. Spanish is front of the mouth with the tongue most of the time. French/german/chewbacca is the back of mouth weird glottal thing. Language is fuckin wild

biosterous

the IPA terminology for a kissy sound is "bilabial click" (usually voiceless but there are exceptions)

pro tip: flirt with that cute linguist that's caught your eye by asking if they want to practice some quadrilabial clicks iwth you :wiggle:

gallery of sigs

he/him

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
I always just ask them if they're cunning...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

biosterous posted:

the IPA terminology for a kissy sound is "bilabial click" (usually voiceless but there are exceptions)

pro tip: flirt with that cute linguist that's caught your eye by asking if they want to practice some quadrilabial clicks iwth you :wiggle:

i was on a walk with someone the other day and i was like "yeah this is where i normally walk the dogs" and they're like "are you walking me like your dogs" and i responded "well i don't have a leash on you at the moment," and we just kind of looked at each other for a moment, shrugged, and kept on walkin'

a fine conversation for a summers day