Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GorfZaplen posted:

Tenchi Muyo hasn't ended yet.
the real question is which was the last good tenchi muyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Droyer posted:

got 39 degrees fever from the vaccine this suuuuuucks

😔
🙏

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Is it weird to pretend an episode, ending or even a sequel didn't happen to a show you loved if you felt it didn't live up to what you expected, or greatly disappointed you?
I'm planning on stopping the last episode of Gurren Lagann after the wedding scene

Yuu Morisawa posted:

Is Girls und Panzer good?
I watched the series on HIDIVE and enjoyed it, but once I got the Anzio OVA and watched it I was hooked. At one point the two tank destroyers get into a brawl and it's so intense you cannot believe you're watching a show about girls driving CGI tanks go this hard. Also the scenes with them fighting off the tankettes are nuts.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Zeether posted:

I'm planning on stopping the last episode of Gurren Lagann after the wedding scene
If you play SRW X (Gurren Lagann spoilers) you'll be happy to know that Nia survives

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Willo567 posted:

If you play SRW X (Gurren Lagann spoilers) you'll be happy to know that Nia survives
GOOD.

This is why I like SRW so much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the girls und panzer movie is a like hour long fight scene that is never boring

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Julias posted:

I think it's better to acknowledge it's existence, in order to analyze/learn from it why those elements are bad/mediocre, then to outright ignore/pretend they didn't happen. Though, there's nothing wrong with exploring alternative endings through fan media: I think some of the most popular genres of fanfiction are just people attempting to give a series what they believe to be a better ending/continuation, or to explore underutilized elements and relationships of the canon source materials.

the problem is that a lot of people like to bash fan media like fanart/fanfiction because they think everything about fans are terrible

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's lots of value in examining parts of things you do like that are kinda rough or that you don't like as much. but also if you just really really hate it there's no real reason to agonize over it a lot, it's fiction, it's not real unchangeable events. lord knows no amount of thinking about the episode of season 2 of rinne no lagrange where kyouno gets sexually harassed over never having been able to gently caress a guy is going to make it more than a really bad left field gag that contributes nothing to the overall themes or dynamics of the story

i think it's worth giving thoughts to things that are kinda rough on the surface but actually have some cool ideas if you dig a bit deeper, but if it's just blatantly stupid and flies in the face of everything else about the show for a lame gag or w/e you're not going to dig out many thoughts besides "well that randomly sucked"

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 31, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Willo567 posted:

the problem is that a lot of people like to bash fan media like fanart/fanfiction because they think everything about fans are terrible

plenty of it is, but also who cares

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
also if you're spending time in a community that bashes on fanworks that might be a lovely bunch of folks to be hanging out with and you should consider finding better people to talk to. there is a ton of negativity out there but you can definitely avoid interacting with it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Is it weird to pretend an episode, ending or even a sequel didn't happen to a show you loved if you felt it didn't live up to what you expected, or greatly disappointed you?

I find it way more rewarding to engage earnestly with something, warts and all, than to handwave those warts away to form some sort of platonic ideal that doesn't actually exist.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also re people pretending shows dont exist, my stance is. i can understand why people say that about shingetsutan tsukihime cause i'm not sure it's possible to make a duller adaptation of a vn than that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually i just remembered one show i actually do kind of just pretend the last few episodes of never happened is oniisama e. the last five episodes have a couple interesting notes about moving on from loss but it's also 90% just "how sad... if only she could have lived, to see us all realize we were never actually gay". i dont like melt if i think about it though i just think it sucks, but that's just 70s yuri

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ranger Reject got put on indefinite hiatus over the author's health.

God loving damnit. That was a good new series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf you can engage with something fully, decide you dont like it, then mostly ignore it going forward

for instance the ending of the kannazuki no miko manga is stupid

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

denying the author's intent and pretending an episode doesn't exist is like murder imo. they should put you in prison for it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

homeless snail posted:

denying the author's intent and pretending an episode doesn't exist is like murder imo. they should put you in prison for it

I will happily serve a life sentence saying Han shot first. :patriot:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched the first season of Blue Exorcist but only up to the point it deviates from the manga then I dropped it. Considering the second season also pretends the rest of that season doesn't exist I think ignoring them is the right move there lol

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1557480/Project_MIKHAIL/

Hot loving drat this looks good

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Man gently caress Konami I want Zone of the Enders 3

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Me 2

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Out of all the Konami things that won't get made, that one super won't get made, due to it being one of Kojima's games.

I want it too

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Willo567 posted:

Was it not you who asked Amanchu fans to pretend the boy in it didn't exist

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sometimes a show has a weird bad aside that's easy to shrug off and sometimes a show will do something that feels like it reveals actually lovely values or recontextualizes the parts you like about it in a way that's hard to reconcile imo

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

the real question is which was the last good tenchi muyo

The episode of season 2 where they have to take care of Tenchi's nephew

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of shows that have been going on forever, has there been any indication that the Detective Conan manga is reaching something resembling a conclusion?

Then again, the One Piece anime is close to 1000 at present.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 31, 2021

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larryb posted:

Speaking of shows that have been going on forever, has there been any indication that the Detective Conan manga is anywhere near reaching a conclusion at this point (I know the anime is currently approaching 700 episodes currently)? Then again, the One Piece anime is close to 1000 at present.

Approaching 700? It's already over 1000.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Conan started airing in 1996. The One Piece manga started in 1997.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

conan is good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Approaching 700? It's already over 1000.

Whoops my bad, must have been thinking of something else. Fixed

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hosted a couple of homeless trans people the other night

Cant sleep outside when it's wet

it was cool and i got to listen to live violin music

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Conan will be a child even when the rest of us are dead and buried

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And speaking of old shows, reminder that the Lupin III anime returns with Part 6 this October.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=B9_zlgRIsMg

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 31, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm aware Conan has a continuing plot but it's overwhelmingly episodic. It can continue as long as there are weird ways to be killed at increasingly obscure Japanese locations or events

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heck even if you did resolve the ongoing plot you could easily just have conan continue solving random murders forever just not as a kid anymore

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

hosed up that Minami would be out of a job

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ran needs to get a clue, and leave shinichi

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Aurora posted:

hosed up that Minami would be out of a job

Clearly the solution is that we need a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Two questions: 1.) has a defined amount of time passed in-universe since Conan started? 2.) Has he made one single solitary iota of progress in that time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
He’s temporarily become a teenager again and his parents know about it