Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

https://drop.com/buy/lugoo-deer-in-woods-pbt-dye-subbed-keycap-set

I think I'm going to get a set and figure out a frame and switches later.

It's a little bit tempting to do a ground up build and make a case with maple from on site but probably I am too lazy and will buy something wood.

anyone have suggestions for a nice prebuilt 60% frame made of finished hardwood, either sold without switches or with options for switches? I found a couple old, long dead drops I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

anyone have suggestions for a nice prebuilt 60% frame made of finished hardwood, either sold without switches or with options for switches? I found a couple old, long dead drops I like.

KBDFans sells exactly this: https://kbdfans.com/products/60-keyboard-wood-case

They even sell DZ60 PCBs that are hotswap, along with plates for it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Artelier posted:

I ORDERED THE KBD67 AND THE BOBA U4 SILENT SWITCHES AND THEY ARE ON THEIR WAY THANK YOU EVERYONE

Now to figure out what keycaps I want...does anyone have a preference/recommendation for keycap profile that's good for typing? I have been Cherry keycaps all my life and want to try a different one, so I have different designs with XDA, DSA, SA, and OEM in my cart. I wish I was made of money and can just get all four and try them side by side but alas, I need to pick just one for now.

It's all really preference so I can't recommend the next one to try.

However, if you want something actually different from Cherry, then don't get OEM. They're basically the same thing just a little taller and cheaper feeling usually. If you like the Cherry shape (cylindrical top) then maybe check out DCS? There's a number of sets coming pretty soon and they'll have relatively short lead times.
A couple that I am going to pick up:
DCS Paperwork https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114316.0
DCS Classic Orange https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114236.0
DCS Solarized Dark https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114170.0

I personally dislike DSA. XDA is alright I suppose but I like KAM so much more that I have literally no reason to buy anything XDA.
SA is fantastic if you like big fat tall and spherical keycaps, but how would you know that until you've tried it? MT3 is also up there, but lack of compatibility with most of my boards makes it a tough sell. I only have one MT3 set (Susuwatari) and that's because every subsequent set won't fit anything I would want to put it on.

Don't sleep on DSS though. The caps are great quality and feel really good too. Plus lead times for DSS sets is next to nothing. It's become a popular profile for 40's users because of the relative low cost, available support, and short turnaround. Unfortunately, as such, a lot of the sets that run monthly seem to be 40's only compatibility like DSS After School (coming soon), DSS Drank, DSS 420, DSS Shale, DSS Solarized Dark, uh... I know there's more I bought but I can't remember right now.

Prime KB does have a FULL SET of DSS Honeywell coming in October though. https://www.primekb.com/collections/keysets/products/dss-honeywell
That's definitely worth a look.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the keycaps feedback everyone! Quite of the number of the profiles are hard to get by here. No KAM, KAT, MT3, HuB without going through a group buy or through some serious shipping costs that I could find.

I decided to get some XDAs for now, and I've also tentatively booked an ASA profile, which looks like Akko's spin on the SA profile which is the same, but about OEM height. Which appeals to me, honestly. Not sure if I will pull the trigger yet but it sure sounds good to me!

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's all really preference so I can't recommend the next one to try.

However, if you want something actually different from Cherry, then don't get OEM. They're basically the same thing just a little taller and cheaper feeling usually. If you like the Cherry shape (cylindrical top) then maybe check out DCS? There's a number of sets coming pretty soon and they'll have relatively short lead times.
A couple that I am going to pick up:
DCS Paperwork https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114316.0
DCS Classic Orange https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114236.0
DCS Solarized Dark https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114170.0

Thanks for the heads up on these three. I’ve been looking at non GMK sets for a change and for PBT options and started looking at DCS as of this week even. It’s funny, when I started diving into this like four years ago, Signature Plastics were the ones with the horrible lead times.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Anyone here use wood as a body for a custom keeb? I'm considering it for another Sofle, but if there's extra things I have to put in there to make it work I don't want to mess around too much with it (given that it's very expensive of late)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Electronaut posted:

Thanks for the heads up on these three. I’ve been looking at non GMK sets for a change and for PBT options and started looking at DCS as of this week even. It’s funny, when I started diving into this like four years ago, Signature Plastics were the ones with the horrible lead times.

Oh SP SA is still like 2 years lead time or something insane right now. But DCS and DSS are like 3 months.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SpicyPete posted:

fwiw, RGB support in QMK/VIA is fully implemented for the OG controller GMMK Pros. QMK just hasn't merged the development branch into the master which is set to happen this week.

I've been running QMK for a few weeks now and everything has worked without issues. 1000Hz polling rate, all RGB patterns (including the optional reactive ones), layers, etc....

They're still being cagey on the controller switch which is weird and lovely, but it sounds like they're still shipping QMK compatible controllers for now.

Following up on this, they've finally posted an update on the MCU situation

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/pbm5za/gmmk_pro_postlaunch_report/

tldr: they managed to source more of the original MCU and will continue using it for the forseeable future, and they say the potential replacement MCU already has a QMK implementation ready to go if required

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

While not exactly a keyboard but an accessory, reading up on all the keyboard enthusiast blogs and videos has gotten me to buy a soldering iron and DIY kit to make a couple aviator cables. :getin:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Coiled aviator cables: Good idea or bad idea or aesthetics only idea? I found a local manufacturer it but I can't tell if they actually give a tangible benefit or not besides the aesthetics. Wasn't planning on getting them originally as it just added to the cost but my partner bought me some of my keyboard parts as a gift and now I could put that money into some cables, maybe a second keycap set, or just save it for later on.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 30, 2021

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Artelier posted:

Coiled aviator cables: Good idea or bad idea or aesthetics only idea? I found a local manufacturer it but I can't tell if they actually give a tangible benefit or not besides the aesthetics. Wasn't planning on getting them originally as it just added to the cost but my partner bought me some of my keyboard parts as a gift and now I could put that money into some cables, maybe a second keycap set, or just save it for later on.

It's entirely aesthetics

mewse
May 2, 2006

Artelier posted:

The gold plating makes the electrons move 20% faster

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
yeah there are no performance gains to be had from a coiled cable or a cable using an 'aviator' connector.

The only benefit is if you have multiple ends that you can swap onto the host end so that you don't have to plug a different cable into your computer to plug in a keyboard that has a different connector.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Coiled cables do reduce clutter on your desk while allowing for more freedom to move your keyboard. Unless you constantly change keyboards and switch ends like GnarlieCharlie mentioned, I would not go for the aviator connectors because they can scratch your desk.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Artelier posted:

Entirely aesthetic like everyone mentioned. SOMETIMES can also potentially cause issues with power hungry PCBs since the added length of a coiled cable + detachable cable may be too long to deliver enough power.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
So I think I've convinced myself to order a GMMK Pro. I'm probably going to get a set of Boba U4s to go with it, but as usual they're out of stock everywhere. I'd like to get some decent budget rgb-compatible switches to try out in the meantime, probably still tactile but also considering linear. For linear it seems like the new Gateron yellow pro might be a pretty good cheap option. Not sure about tactile, maybe Gateron cap browns are decent, or Outemu ice?

As for keycaps, it's boring but I kind of just want something black/gray and shine-through. How is Drop Skylight? Any other good alternatives?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Drop Skylight is missing the 1u right modifiers for the GMMK Pro

You need a 1.75u shift, 1u alt, 1u fn, 1u ctrl, and ideally vertical nav cluster keys

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
You can buy bobas on aliexpress. It took like 2 weeks to ship to Canada.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the responses, glad to know it's almost purely aesthetic

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The only benefit is if you have multiple ends that you can swap onto the host end so that you don't have to plug a different cable into your computer to plug in a keyboard that has a different connector.

Might still get the cable though because my current leopold is annoyingly mini USB and my incoming keeb is usb-c - yes I can get a mini USB to USB c converter but prettyyy

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Artelier posted:

Thanks for the responses, glad to know it's almost purely aesthetic

Might still get the cable though because my current leopold is annoyingly mini USB and my incoming keeb is usb-c - yes I can get a mini USB to USB c converter but prettyyy

Netdot also has a much more elegant solution.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WR8LM93

https://www.amazon.com/NetDot-Braided-Magnetic-Charging-Compatible/dp/B07JYZF92F

The gen 12 don't fit everything though so be weary.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

repiv posted:

Drop Skylight is missing the 1u right modifiers for the GMMK Pro

You need a 1.75u shift, 1u alt, 1u fn, 1u ctrl, and ideally vertical nav cluster keys

Hmm, yeah, I thought it came with the extra 1u keys but I guess it was only the shift after all... not sure where to search then, especially for the vertical nav. I like the look of several of the glorious PBT sets that have all the necessary keys, I just don't understand the point of getting a per-key rgb board and not getting backlit keycaps. I don't use backlighting a ton with my current board but I definitely like that it's an option.

Hoop Dreams posted:

You can buy bobas on aliexpress. It took like 2 weeks to ship to Canada.

Ah yeah, I noticed that the other day. I guess it's safe to assume they're identical to the ones from Gazzew's authorized retailers?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Glorious have backlit sets as well, if you like the pudding style

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/glorious-aura-keycaps-v2-black

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Not a fan of pudding unfortunately, although if there was a pudding set where the translucent area around the sides was very short instead of half or more of the height, I think that has a chance of actually looking pretty nice. But otherwise I think they look kinda bad with the backlight off, and with it on it's a bit more rgb than I can handle.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm drawing a blank :shrug:

Gamer-oriented sets tend to be backlit but not support exotic layouts, and enthusiast-oriented sets tend to support many layouts but not be backlit. And the exceptions all seem to be pudding or not in the colours/material you're looking for.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

runawayturtles posted:

Hmm, yeah, I thought it came with the extra 1u keys but I guess it was only the shift after all... not sure where to search then, especially for the vertical nav. I like the look of several of the glorious PBT sets that have all the necessary keys, I just don't understand the point of getting a per-key rgb board and not getting backlit keycaps. I don't use backlighting a ton with my current board but I definitely like that it's an option.

Ah yeah, I noticed that the other day. I guess it's safe to assume they're identical to the ones from Gazzew's authorized retailers?

They are, though you can find U4s and U4Ts in stock here: https://rndkbd.com/collections/switches-and-switch-accessories

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

repiv posted:

I'm drawing a blank :shrug:

Gamer-oriented sets tend to be backlit but not support exotic layouts, and enthusiast-oriented sets tend to support many layouts but not be backlit. And the exceptions all seem to be pudding or not in the colours/material you're looking for.

Interesting. What do enthusiasts use backlighting for with the Pro or Q1? Just the novelty? I guess the decision to use south-facing for the Q1 makes more sense in that context...

I currently only use mine on occasion to help see the legends when the room is dark but I don't want a light on.

Gearman posted:

They are, though you can find U4s and U4Ts in stock here: https://rndkbd.com/collections/switches-and-switch-accessories

Ah, good to know, thanks. Didn't think to check the Canadian sites.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I turn on my keyboard's light during the final hours of the work week, to have a little pre-party

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Can anyone recommend a quiet clicky keyboard, preferably with media keys?
The Matias Quiet Pro looks OK but would ideally have play/pause/skip dedicated keys.

edit: oh drat, I think the Quiet Pro is actually discontinued.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 1, 2021

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Anyone ever taken apart an MX Keys before? Or maybe have a video of it being done? The best I could find was this, but it doesn't go far enough for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN5U54FUWWM&t=150s
Also why an off-brand Boléro? The song is like 100 years old by now lol

The MX Keys has a face plate that I'd like to take it off to clean it out better, it's been a year+ since I got it. I'd also like to try putting in some longer screws or rubber washers/something to make the face plate sit a little higher up so the lights shine more THROUGH the keys rather than UNDER them and right into my eyes.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Help, how do I build my just arrived KBD67 Lite R2? There is no guide included in the packaging as far as I can tell.

I found quite a few online videos on YouTube, but they either fast forward through or skip the stabilizer installation, assuming people are already familiar with how to do so.

Best one I found so far is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFzp8V2mc4o

Unfortunately even at step one the camera is out of focus and I can't really tell how the stabs are aligned so I'm already confused right here.

Not sure if I can refer to a general keyboard building guide as this is my first ever board. Any help is appreciated. I generally just don't build things so I would really appreciate step-by-step, suitable for child level instructions if there are any.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 2, 2021

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

My poo poo tier answer is "Just go for it!".

Worked for me!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Artelier posted:

Help, how do I build my just arrived KBD67 Lite R2? There is no guide included in the packaging as far as I can tell.

I found quite a few online videos on YouTube, but they either fast forward through or skip the stabilizer installation, assuming people are already familiar with how to do so.

Best one I found so far is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFzp8V2mc4o

Unfortunately even at step one the camera is out of focus and I can't really tell how the stabs are aligned so I'm already confused right here.

Not sure if I can refer to a general keyboard building guide as this is my first ever board. Any help is appreciated. I generally just don't build things so I would really appreciate step-by-step, suitable for child level instructions if there are any.

Found these on the kbdfans page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TkJVA_AGHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-I5mb0ns2g

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

That's exactly what I needed, thank you so much! Stabs installed!! Going to stop here for now as my work meetings are about to start

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
There's a text build guide on the page too

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thank you for that! I just found it an hour or so ago myself and I have since assembled the keyboard! Now to wait for my switches to arrive and my board will be complete!!

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Artelier posted:

That's exactly what I needed, thank you so much! Stabs installed!! Going to stop here for now as my work meetings are about to start

Boring meetings are the perfect time to do things like lube switches and install stabs

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

~Coxy posted:

Can anyone recommend a quiet clicky keyboard, preferably with media keys?
The Matias Quiet Pro looks OK but would ideally have play/pause/skip dedicated keys.

edit: oh drat, I think the Quiet Pro is actually discontinued.
I got one for my husband a while ago but he didn't end up liking it, so it's just sitting around in the box... PM me if you want it for cost I guess??

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
WHat have I done.

This is a TM680 with Durock T1's and some ridiculous pudding caps. I have some more reserved black-on-white pbt caps on the way but...kind of like how ridiculous this is?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

frogbs posted:

WHat have I done.

This is a TM680 with Durock T1's and some ridiculous pudding caps. I have some more reserved black-on-white pbt caps on the way but...kind of like how ridiculous this is?

This is wonderful. Keep it as-is if you're enjoying it :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

This is wonderful. Keep it as-is if you're enjoying it :swoon:

Yeah, I think i'll keep it like this. In true mechanical keyboard fashion i'll just use the keycaps I have coming on ANOTHER BOARD.

Anyone have any recommendations for similar 65% or 68-key ish hotswap boards?

Edit: It's kind of a boring choice but the GMMK Pro also ticks all my boxes. Has a knob, has a number row and tilde key. Three keys to the right of the space bar (I'm on a mac so use right CMD a lot). I also like having a separated arrow cluster.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 2, 2021