Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

codo27 posted:

Only people like my mother who use the computer strictly to play slot machines on facebook should be on ChromeOS.

And you guys need to drop it with this blah blah tablet blah blah touch stuff. You're blowing it way out of proportion. The only real problem I've encountered so far is the inability to disable taskbar icon grouping. That, and the new start layout is unintuitive.

I guess that is a better, more focused question than my earlier one: Why irreversibly make this happen? I’m sure for many people this is cool. But for almost as many, why not put a slider button to disable this if you don’t like it? You already did it! I can’t think that putting last year’s taskbar code would be either expensive or time consuming for a developer.

I guess I’m also thinking of the different computer voices available in the menus: If you would rather hear a soft Australian woman’s voice you can download it for free instead of the default American male voice. Nobody is forced to do it, and it’s not even many users even know is possible. They keep Sam by design, like grouped buttons, but I can download a regular Win10 style one I just prefer. Charge me $0.99 for it, I don’t care. Hell, put out a slew of tweak-able stuff for $40/year like you used to. I bought it all the time even if I just needed a featureless two out of twelve. Having to hack the registry to get rid of Cortana can break your install if you aren’t careful, but you can add things or revert them if you need! No development time or old code maintenance needed.

I could be wrong, and Microsoft doesn’t owe me anything. I just cannot understand why a dev would strip out a “Use grouped icons-Use Win10 style icons” feature. It’s not the icons that bother me, it’s the simple fact that I don’t even have a simple radio button to change back to last version’s style.

And if you want to use old Win95 menus, I would think an optional $9.99 “DLC” would make a bit of profit while XP, 7, and 10 style features would be great on the MS Store as an option.

Maybe it’s too involved with the guts, but that’s a problem both MS & Apple share. I just can’t see how a radio button to ungroup taskbar widgets would require a major time/money focus or impossible development issue. Maybe it’s too hard, maybe the one VB6 program I ever made was easy (not because of my galaxy-brain, because the tutorials walked me through the process while I spent more time on the program’s style and colors in a GUI, the code for all of the features was auto-piloted in and I only had to come up with a few in:out statements and trigonometry for the math.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ungrouping icons is something that they could and should bring back, and if enough people complain in the feedback then they likely will. I don't need it or particularly care, but it won't be hard to do.

An old school UI pack is a pretty sizeable undertaking if you want it to actually play nice with all software out of the box. There's probably scope to do an XP or Win 95 styled theme through recolours and such, but actually fiddling with the nuts and bolts of the OS to add thicker borders, offset the close button, etc and have it work with all software, especially software with a custom UI like Steam, is not going to be a quick and easy task. It might be doable, but it's best left to a third party dev than wishing for Microsoft branded DLC.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just to be clear I'm onboard for win98 UI (even though my first pc was 2001 so XP) but I can see why they aren't going out of their way to cater to crusty old goons like us

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Maybe Valve will expand Proton past gaming into general Windows applications well enough by 2025 that Desktop Linux is actually practical

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

codo27 posted:

Just to be clear I'm onboard for win98 UI (even though my first pc was 2001 so XP) but I can see why they aren't going out of their way to cater to crusty old goons like us

I'd be happy if they just maintained core functionality and didn't remove things that are important to my workflow.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
No see what makes Macs popular is the centered taskbar. Microsoft must copy as much of that mojo as possible.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Do alternate shells still exist? Is that still a thing that works?

Be the one guy running calmira or the reactos explorer in windows 11.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Ungrouping icons is something that they could and should bring back, and if enough people complain in the feedback then they likely will. I don't need it or particularly care, but it won't be hard to do.

An old school UI pack is a pretty sizeable undertaking if you want it to actually play nice with all software out of the box. There's probably scope to do an XP or Win 95 styled theme through recolours and such, but actually fiddling with the nuts and bolts of the OS to add thicker borders, offset the close button, etc and have it work with all software, especially software with a custom UI like Steam, is not going to be a quick and easy task. It might be doable, but it's best left to a third party dev than wishing for Microsoft branded DLC.

Yeah, you’re right. Most of the good stuff I enjoy in Linux is third-party labor of love free stuff, but the freedom of even picking out and making a one of a kind shell is neat. I got what you meant about whole old UIs; that makes a lot of sense. I don’t get upset by the big blue wallpaper on all the screenshots because I know I can switch to a different one or color change it or tile it (yuck). I don’t really want to go back to DOS 4, but I’ve seen enough reviews on pro-am tech YouTube to know I don’t like the fingerprints on my TV I use as a desktop monitor (it’s not a loving touchscreen!) or the thirty years of muscle memory going left to click “Start” because it has every path-to-programs I use on my desktop. Some people just work with PowerShell or a single program all day at a workstation. Most of the folks I know that do work with a computer don’t want to come home to the same screen they see all day, even if both computers use the same OS. It’s the same with exotic cars and vaginas (a good friend is an OB/GYN at the Med, married to an OB/GYN, and teaches future OB/GYN students; felt the need to explain that choice of examples).

Just hopefully they give me the option, because if I wanted a MacBook I would buy a Mac Book. I’ve always liked Windows, I’ve used it for decades through almost all consumer versions. Either they aren’t getting a broad spectrum of Windows users in their focus testing, or Apple snuck a bunch of designers into the group. Just gimme a button 8 layers into settings menu. And if you want to buy goodwill, give us UI tools or templates so third party Win11 lovers can waste time.
Like using Black Notepad (power toys 32-bit) instead of regular Notepad because the large white light washes the text into a blurry mess because of my eye problems.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
As someone who *absolutely* spent a lot of his youth toying around with Stardock and UI / shell replacement software, I'd love for that to come back, but I also lucked out in that I just don't use any of the features that Win11 got rid of (I've been grouped-tab for a long-rear end time, my start menu searches somehow work just fine, etc). My biggest beef is the lack of a vertical task bar, which I'm hoping comes back at some point, but I only switched to that like, a few months ago.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BrainDance posted:

I use start10 that stardock makes. Have no complaints.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I understand that, too. And I also used the whole Stardock themes stuff (I really, really want my 100% complete collection of After Dark screen savers back, especially the one with the package that included the cat-killing lawnmower and one that was like an invisible physics teacher writing hard math on a chalkboard, with sound!).

I’d be happy to have a choice, though. I really like my Win10 setup, and I’m not bitching as an opponent of trying something new. I also bitched about New Coke; why not keep plain old Coke and release New Coke as a new product alongside the good tasting stuff? Same with many UI changes: try new, give me a choice to use the old if I prefer while I can maybe slowly come around. I’ve done it my whole teenage to middle-age life with all versions, but I always had the option to drop back a release or two as the new features become familiar and better over time. I’m already in the program, and I just haven’t dl’ing 11 yet. But I have seen it’s use many times, and the touch-features on a desktop are weird and have caused folks trouble, and not being able to move the taskbar around or ungroup the group seems horrible. Or give the Stardock guy a job.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

progman still runs on windows 10, winfile is perfectly usable too.

I dont think this is useful information for anyone I just think it's interesting. I imagine it will run on windows 11, too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Grouped taskbar icons have been the default since windows 7, I’d be stunned if more than 5-10% of people were still using old style ungrouped or text labels still.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Grouped taskbar icons have been the default since windows 7, I’d be stunned if more than 5-10% of people were still using old style ungrouped or text labels still.

Hiding extensions of known file types has been the default for at least that long - still doesn't mean it's a good idea or that users shouldn't be able to toggle it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Lord Bude posted:

I agree, but this seems like a rather plain discussion and nobody is a rabid for/against fan. Unlike any other community online. Which is why I bring it up here because I can get opinions from real, working devs and shut-in nerds (me) at the same times. After all, we obviously all like Windows or we wouldn’t care enough to post suggestions itt! I follow lots of threads, 99% of which I’m not an expert in the field of. And I almost always walk away feeling like I learned something!

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

BrainDance posted:

I've been using https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu to get a Windows 7 start menu since Windows 10 released, so it's still possible. I'm hoping something similar will exist for Windows 11. I don't think the new Mac-style Dock is an improvement :(

SuddenlyAri
Feb 24, 2019

Tinfoil Hat Society
Nyx Destroyer
I'm enjoying Win10 1/2 I mean W11 so far. All jokes aside I actually do like the aesthetic better than 10 but that might be an unpopular opinion.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

SuddenlyAri posted:

I'm enjoying Win10 1/2 I mean W11 so far. All jokes aside I actually do like the aesthetic better than 10 but that might be an unpopular opinion.

Same here, like the animations too. Don't like all the changes to the taskbar etc. though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is.. PCs are used mostly for actual work. Stupid poo poo like animations and pretty windows is nice but no one really cares.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

redeyes posted:

The thing is.. PCs are used mostly for actual work. Stupid poo poo like animations and pretty windows is nice but no one really cares.

I care.

I care enough to turn that poo poo off as fast as possible.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Would it be so difficult to have a "Basic UI" and "Advanced UI" option on installation or something?

I get that M$ want to make things easier for inexperienced users but it gets to the point where it's almost infuriating trying to do simple things. I find every iteration of Windows has even less customisation options than the last and I always need to find work arounds.

Based on what I've read, I'll be sticking with 10 for the foreseeable future and probably only updating once the dust settles enough

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BrainDance posted:

I care.

I care enough to turn that poo poo off as fast as possible.

Yeah, I've turned off a lot of them since windows 2000, where you had fading or sliding menus. I think it was XP that brought in the minimise/maximise animations, and I've long disabled those since in all builds of windows since, as all they do is serve to add a delay

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 1, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Can you replace explorer.exe as the shell in Windows 10/11 anymore. I am not entirely sure..

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Sorta, but a lot of things break, such as (IIRC) all windows store apps.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

corgski posted:

Sorta, but a lot of things break, such as (IIRC) all windows store apps.

Really? Huh.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SuddenlyAri posted:

Don’t worry about it. If you like it that way, that’s completely ok. Your opinion is perfectly reasonable and popular. I disagree, but that’s just because we liked different ways of the same thing. I love my iPhone 8, but I don’t want to do anything much besides take photos (I broke both camera and flash in an unfortunate open-closet-door accident last week, though) and take care of my emails and various hobby forums/SA/Reddits. I don’t want to use iOS or any of its features for actual work. I just would rather get the option (like personifying the Taskbar) to use all the good features of Win11 but without a Mac cloned UI. Or wait six months for some third party fix a la’ Stardock.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.howtogeek.com/752548/its-official-windows-11-has-a-release-date/

October 5 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

No side task bar, shieeet.. hopefully someone makes a program to fix that ASAP. They fixed win8's start menu etc. so why not the taskbar. Maybe displafusion will do it?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

So uh my task bar is completely nonfunctional and I can't open the start menu at all. Even after multiple reboots. Overall impression of Windows 11: absolutely terrible

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

ben shapino posted:

So uh my task bar is completely nonfunctional and I can't open the start menu at all. Even after multiple reboots. Overall impression of Windows 11: absolutely terrible

Yeah, same here after the latest patch. Can't seem to roll back out of it either. Currently restoring from last night's backup.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Nulldevice posted:

Yeah, same here after the latest patch. Can't seem to roll back out of it either. Currently restoring from last night's backup.

How can I do this? I can't really get into any Settings screens.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

ben shapino posted:

How can I do this? I can't really get into any Settings screens.

From the login screen hold shift and select reboot to reboot into recovery. Then Troubleshoot > Advanced > System Restore.

Some people on Reddit are claiming that the problem is an explorer update that installed separately from the windows update and so system restore didn't fix it for them. Worked for me though :iiam:

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Yeah, if anyone *hasn't* installed the latest patch, please don't. Seems broken on both beta and dev flights. I tried uninstalling the update from the F8 menu while windows boots (I think you can restore from there too), but that didn't help.

The one thing that's worked for me so far: turn off internet date syncing and change the date to October 5th or later. Suddenly things work again.

To do this while things are broken: ctrl-alt-delete, open task manager, file -> run new task, "control panel", clock and region, set time and date, turn off internet time syncing and change the date ahead a ways (I had to go to october 5th). Restart, and bam. Don't ask me why this works.

Edit: I'm also seeing some reports of people who didn't update having the same issues, so lol

Fats fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 3, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
furiously mashing pause updates as i read this

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Counter-anecdote, I have the latest beta build (.176) installed and everything is fine. Just about everyone is complaining about the dev build, tho.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I wasn't able to restore to a previous point as that operation failed twice due to not finding backup data to restore (or something like that).

The trick to go into Control Panel via Task Manager and change the date/time forward to October worked. I had to set the date/time back in order to access https sites as my computers clock no longer lined up with the server's. So far so good but I haven't rebooted since setting the clock back to the original value.

Bought a new SSD recently; going to be going back to Windows 10 with a clean install shortly.

Windows 11 interface is absolutely godawful.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Here’s the official fix from Microsoft:

quote:

• Step 1: Use CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose to open Task Manager.
• Step 2: Choose “More details” at the bottom of Task Manager to expand Task Manager.
• Step 3: Go to “File” and choose “Run new task”.
• Step 4: Type “cmd” in the “Open” field.
• Step 5: Paste the following: reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IrisService /f && shutdown -r -t 0
• Step 6: Hit enter, and then your PC should reboot. After rebooting, everything should be back to normal. Additionally, we will be rolling out a new server-side deployment that will automatically fix Insiders in this state over the next few hours.

Should be fully fixed by tomorrow morning.

You can also fix it by changing your date to the end of the month and turn of internet time sync.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the fix, I was able to set the date back to normal and everything seems good. What a weird bug.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:lol:

*Microsoft sees Cyberpunk 2077 release go horribly wrong*

Microsoft Windows 11 team: "Hold my beer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Yyyyeahhh, the more I read about W11, the more I think I'll hold off on the upgrade, let others blaze ahead.

I've been pretty happy with 10, super stable, everything seems to work. My only complaint is the search, which is real bad, but everything else is manageable (even the confused control panel)

And hey, the task bar works