Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sickening posted:

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1432758898793107459?s=20

Anyone know what magic twitter is talking about here? I can't find the juice.

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1432746100667133957

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That seems like standard bluffing behaviour. I see absolutely no problem with it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'll say good game back and then sit at attackers while I go get a drink.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Saying GG any other time than right before you concede is already toxic. Bluffing with it is just reinforces that you shouldn't even say it back to them when they do.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Lmao if you don't mute every opponent as soon as the match starts

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

that's not a bluff that's an angle shoot. pretty scummy imo but i'm coming at it from the poker world viewpoint.

you should always protect yourself though, and assume all your opponents are playing with this mindset and not be tricked into doing things like this... especially if you know that card existed in your opponent's colors.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

As a bad player I’ve won games where people telegraphed Settle the Wreckage with “Good Game”, as it made me remember I shouldn’t be attacking with all my many creatures because I didn’t need to do that to win. If they’d just not bluffed I’d have forgotten to hold back, then been blown out

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Play with emotes off.

My enjoyment of arena increased significantly when I started doing so.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That seems like standard bluffing behaviour. I see absolutely no problem with it.

if you're adjusting your play and punting matches based on your opponent using an emote, then you're at fault for your loss and not your opponent imo

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

MeinPanzer posted:

Play with emotes off.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Emotes have no game meaning. They exist purely to express yourself to your opponent. Would acting frustrated when the card you drew is actually good qualify as poor sportsmanship or angle-shooting?

little munchkin posted:

if you're adjusting your play and punting matches based on your opponent using an emote, then you're at fault for your loss and not your opponent imo
Especially if your opponent declines to use their potential on-board out and instead floats mana. Admittedly they might not remember Massacre Girl but you'd still expect a beaten opponent to spin Vig just for the hell of it.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Keeping emotes on is great cause it whips rear end when somebody ggs you too early and then you spam it back while playing as slow as possible to beat them

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Good Game is only obnoxious if you spam it and the idea that people are getting hopping mad at a genuine GG is such a pissy baby mentality

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I don't think there's anything particularly unethical about trying to goad someone into an attack like that with an emote - it's not something I would ever do but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

If someone is saying Good Game and not conceding shortly afterwards I'm going to be super suspicious, there's no reason to do it other than being smug and lovely or a manipulation like this.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
i spam good game because to me, mtg is just a good game

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kalvanoo posted:

wow, look at this lil perv

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

kalvanoo posted:

there's a hotspot between the emote button and the player icon where you can open the menu and select the emote without moving your mouse, so you can set an autoclicker and go to town

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

odiv posted:

I'm guessing it's where you're holding Settle on Arena and your opponent has lethal on board so you say Good Game like you're dead to goad them into swinging all out instead of just a couple creatures for lethal.

I do that all the time. I hit "Oops" after I swing with everything and have a combat trick, sometimes they block poorly. Who knows if my "Oops" had anything to do with it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think a fake concession good game is pretty clearly bad sportsmanship, and LSV's thing was too, but all you can control is your reaction to it, so there's not really much point in getting angry about it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sinteres posted:

I think a fake concession good game is pretty clearly bad sportsmanship, and LSV's thing was too, but all you can control is your reaction to it, so there's not really much point in getting angry about it.

LSV move wasn't bad sportsmanship, it was good gamesmanship. Its about as innocent as a bluff could be in the magic world. I am sure his opponent saw the replay and laughed about it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

kalvanoo posted:

Post + avatar combo

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Bluffing is fair game as long as you're not actively misrepresenting visible information on the board imo.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

I don't think there's anything particularly unethical about trying to goad someone into an attack like that with an emote - it's not something I would ever do but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

If someone is saying Good Game and not conceding shortly afterwards I'm going to be super suspicious, there's no reason to do it other than being smug and lovely or a manipulation like this.

What is your opinion of that one poker player who went all in on the first chance several times in a row while never looking at his cards?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

someone explain the lsv video. the guy grabbed a vampire token to..? signal he was doing something else rather than play settle the wreckage?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Strong Sauce posted:

someone explain the lsv video. the guy grabbed a vampire token to..? signal he was doing something else rather than play settle the wreckage?

He was bluffing he had settle, and grabbing the vampire was saying to his opponent “I’m going to spend 4 mana to make this blocker, so if it helps you with the math, here is a token”.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

MeinPanzer posted:

Play with emotes off.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mandatory lesbian posted:

What is your opinion of that one poker player who went all in on the first chance several times in a row while never looking at his cards?

I wish I could have Gus Hansen's moxie and presence, personally.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

uggy posted:

Keeping emotes on is great cause it whips rear end when somebody ggs you too early and then you spam it back while playing as slow as possible to beat them

Before it got banned someone GG'ed me when they dropped a book of exalted deeds on their faceless haven. I was playing rogues, proceeded to mill their entire deck, and then forced them to sit through 45 minutes of me slow playing the deck and getting their life count to -450. They finally conceded and it was both the most satisfying and most degenerate thing I've ever done in Magic.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Adun posted:

Before it got banned someone GG'ed me when they dropped a book of exalted deeds on their faceless haven. I was playing rogues, proceeded to mill their entire deck, and then forced them to sit through 45 minutes of me slow playing the deck and getting their life count to -450. They finally conceded and it was both the most satisfying and most degenerate thing I've ever done in Magic.

what you're describing here is your opponent winning, telling you that they've won in case you missed it happening, and then you had a tantrum for almost an hour about it

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Adun posted:

Can't say I get this at all. I've definitely played long games against Sparky just to get numbers up for fun, so I guess I can see the appeal in that part, but slow playing through a game is just tedious and unfun and I can't imagine doing it just to try to own someone online.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Sure eventually I would mill myself out and if they wanted to play it out I would’ve been happy to do so. Why should I concede if I don’t want to?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hey thread, let me tell you about this time I was super petty over a game with no stakes. It was really cool.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Hey thread, let me tell you about this time I was super petty over a game with no stakes. It was really cool.

But like the entire win condition of the deck in that game was that I would mill myself out. They had no other way to win. It’s petty to actually make them beat me?

I don’t get that. TBC wasn’t roping or anything, just casting spells and attacking like normal

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Adun posted:

But like the entire win condition of the deck in that game was that I would mill myself out. They had no other way to win. It’s petty to actually make them beat me?

I don’t get that. TBC wasn’t roping or anything, just casting spells and attacking like normal

They couldn't lose and you couldn't win. The rest is just pettiness. But at the end of the day, its your time too, do what you like.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 1, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Adun posted:

When you said slow playing through 45 minutes it sounded like you were roping the whole time. If you legit didn't have win cons, I guess you didn't do anything wrong except play a boring deck.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

There are poker situations, depending on your stack etc., in which this is legitimately a great play. I've seen this done by pros in tournaments more than once, although you're probably referring to Gus Hanson.

By not looking at your cards, you are telling the table that they're going to either have to have good cards, or fold to you - you cannot be bluffing, you cannot be honestly representing a good draw, they must play their own deal purely. You would typically only do this if you were short-stacked and being killed by the blinds & antes - in that situation (in tournaments typically, because you can re-buy in regular cash games) you are forced to shove all-in with marginal hands to try to double-up, and the rest of the table, if they know anything about poker, know it. By taking away the factor of them questioning whether you are playing on their knowledge and shoving with awful cards, they have to instead assume you have an "average" hand instead and play accordingly.

But given that is the typical (albeit rare) case, you could in a game with pros, sorta reference it by doing it even when you're not short-stacked, or even at a cash game, etc. Playing several hands blind is removing a certain factor from the game, which you could choose to do strategically. Perhaps another player is bullying the table (with their bets, of course), or someone else is shoving too frequently, or something like that. It's an option for a defensive move. It would be bad to do this too much, because it's super exploitable, but doing it for a few hands in a row as a conscious choice kind of owns.

Gus Hanson has a really terrific youtube series/channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/CrushlivePoker), he's got a weekly call-in audio show that includes fans calling in with (pre-screened) hands to analyze. He'll pick good examples and show them on youtube with the cards and amounts displayed and use each one as a case study.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 1, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

FNM, 2018, I...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Adun posted:

wasn’t roping or anything,

Adun posted:

45 minutes of me slow playing the deck

:wow:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Adun posted:

this is the sort of person whose feelings we are supposed to spare by not saying "good game" when you win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

that's not a bluff that's an angle shoot. pretty scummy imo but i'm coming at it from the poker world viewpoint.

you should always protect yourself though, and assume all your opponents are playing with this mindset and not be tricked into doing things like this... especially if you know that card existed in your opponent's colors.

Who the gently caress augments their play patterns based on the opponents emote usage? What on earth.

If you don’t play around settle the wreckage it’s tour own drat fault, it doesn’t matter if the opponent GGs you or not

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 1, 2021