Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Ego Trip posted:

There's always Brandon Sanderson

He said he wants his notes and any drafts destroyed when he finally keels over from living life in the fast lane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I also have a giant stack of original flavor Sentinels, everything but Cauldron, including that still-somehow-happening Earth Prime thing, and 2e doesn't bug me in the slightest. They can't come over and take my giant playable game away, they're just selling a new one now.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I don't consider G>G a sure fire company at all. For my tastes they have exactly two successful games: Sentinels, and Spirit Island. And Spirit Island, they just signed up to publish. (I hear good things about the Sentinels RPG, but I haven't read or played it yet despite having backed it on the strength of positive buzz about early incarnations.) Galactic Strike Force was a real dud, Sentinels Tactics was fine but I have no desire to ever play it again really and it's clearly not been popular enough to justify releasing additional content for it (indeed, the second round of content they did pitch got quietly scuttled), and everything else has been lightweight casual games as far as I can tell. Some of those might be great, I don't know, but it's absolutely not what I am personally looking for.

So not only am I fine with getting a revamped Sentinels with 10 additional years of design experience behind it (I was skeptical but they've demonstrated it really is a significant improvement), but it makes perfect sense to me as a business move - it's their biggest in-house hit by far and they've never managed to duplicate that success.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Galactic Strike Force was such a bad game. It had the neat idea of “everyone can play their turn at once” but the entire game was so fiddly just like Sentinels so it didn’t matter because you were constantly trying to figure things out.

I played Sentinels Tactics once and never played it again (anyone want a copy for super cheap? Lol)

So I was actually wary when I saw their name attached to Spirit Island. Hopefully their turning things around but yeah, they do not have a great track record.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
That was not my problem with GSF. My problem with GSF is that it's mechanically broken. Like, the way shields work combined with the fact that you can only fight one thing at a time means that once you hit a certain (pretty easy to reach) threshold you're invulnerable, and yet you can be outpaced by enemy spawning and unable to do anything about it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I could have had that issue, but I only vaguely remember because I stopped playing it shortly after it came out. I think we tried 2-3 times before going “this sucks” and never playing again.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

malkav11 posted:

I don't consider G>G a sure fire company at all. For my tastes they have exactly two successful games: Sentinels, and Spirit Island.

If you haven't checked out the RPG version of Sentinels I highly recommend it, it's fantastic. Better than the card game.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

theironjef posted:

If you haven't checked out the RPG version of Sentinels I highly recommend it, it's fantastic. Better than the card game.

I have it, but I barely play RPGs so I'll probably never know.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Does anyone have any kind of opinion on Picaresque Roman? I like the elevator pitch for it but don't know much else.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

JazzFlight posted:

I have the entirety of the original and the big box AND all of “The Cauldron” fan decks AND I’m still set to receive Sentinels of Earth Prime after a bazillion years development on Kickstarter.

I still backed the 2nd Edition. I’m okay with it since it’s going to take a while for it to release and it’s all new art and a lot of retooled abilities. Plus, they did release a “try if you really want to” document on incorporating old decks with the new edition.

Where/how did you get "The Cauldron" stuff printed? I need to get myself a set.

Also, I missed out on Sentinels of Earth Prime - looks really cool but nothing's on the creator's website yet.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

That's because it's a KS project that is somehow still chugging even though it succeeded like five years ago. The reason it's considered ill-fated is because it took so long to make that the base game changed editions out from under them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just got tracking info for Cartographers Heroes. Should be here this week. :slick:

Get hype to get zen.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

kinkouin posted:

Where/how did you get "The Cauldron" stuff printed? I need to get myself a set.

Also, I missed out on Sentinels of Earth Prime - looks really cool but nothing's on the creator's website yet.
Here's their official link.
https://cauldron4.webnode.com/purchasing/

Basically cards through DriveThruCards and dividers through The Game Crafter.

I think it's so freaking cool that they were able to make these decks that even fit in with the art style of Sentinels (I like the "bad" art, I think it's charming). There are some interesting concepts for heroes in there, too, like Drift who has some kind of time-travel track that you adjust as you play cards. Apparently they're working on modding all the Cauldron decks into the PC version of Sentinels now that it supports community mods.

theironjef posted:

That's because it's a KS project that is somehow still chugging even though it succeeded like five years ago. The reason it's considered ill-fated is because it took so long to make that the base game changed editions out from under them.
LOL, absolutely. Once they were almost done development, the 2nd Edition of Sentinels launched its KS and they were about to redesign all the cards until people basically grabbed them by the shoulders and were like, "NO, JUST SHIP IT ALREADY, PLEASE!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2053940446/scp-foundation-the-boardgame-confidential-crisis

Prettttttyyy sure this is a cash grab, as you can't license the SCP stuff? :thunk:

Someone in the BGG Worst Kickstarter thread has pointed out that the project comments include a backer replying to himself with a message of thanks for the support and the company rep saying he backed the game for the minis. It's absolutely a scam with a ton of masturbacking, and they're too stupid to properly manage their logins on multiple accounts.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Infinitum posted:

HOLY poo poo THEY UPDATED
- Blood on the Clocktower - Just posted some high quality shots of their PPC, allegedly still on track for launch in November. Probably going to late pledge off the back of these photos. If you like Werewolf/Mafia games in any capacity do yourselves a favour and check it out - I've played a ton of the genre both online and IRL, and this is basically a 'best in class' game. My only complaint, is that the bulldog clips are dumb.. but honestly.. I get it.

I backed this way back in the day, just based on the prototypes at a convention. I have been incredibly disappointed, as I would have been quite happy with receiving a game a year ago that looked like one of those prototypes. However, I am also super stoked because all of the time they spent (completely unnecessarily) redesigning things has made this look absolutely spectacular and (in my opinion) fully worth the deluxe price they asked for up front.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Avatar RPG about to cross the $8 million USD mark, and just posted an update

quote:

In short, this campaign has now grown to a size that we are encountering limits on the global paper supply available for printing this many books—our printer is telling us that there may not be enough cardboard in the United States to print these books on our original schedule.

Currently 66,500~ backers. That's a looootta cardboard :v:

CellBlock posted:

I backed this way back in the day, just based on the prototypes at a convention. I have been incredibly disappointed, as I would have been quite happy with receiving a game a year ago that looked like one of those prototypes. However, I am also super stoked because all of the time they spent (completely unnecessarily) redesigning things has made this look absolutely spectacular and (in my opinion) fully worth the deluxe price they asked for up front.

It's been on my radar ever since I heard of it via SUSD and was able to go to a few sessions of it that they used to host in Sydney. It's legitimately one of my favourite ways to play mafia/werewolf and you can tell they obviously love the product a lot - Definitely can understand the frustrations from the original campaign backers though.

Definitely going to pick this up and host a bunch of murder mystery game nights with it. :allears:

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Unfortunately, that same update said that the final stretch goal is an AP with a couple big names. One of them is Satine Phoenix, longtime Zak S supporter and also friend of noted horrible person James Desborough.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Isn't Zak S the dude that has poo poo his pants at several live events and has to carry plastic bags in his pockets to clean up after himself?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I was trying to remember a game I’d seen on SU&SD years ago and it turns out it was Blood on the Clocktower. I thought it had been out for a few years now. Christ.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tsilkani posted:

Unfortunately, that same update said that the final stretch goal is an AP with a couple big names. One of them is Satine Phoenix, longtime Zak S supporter and also friend of noted horrible person James Desborough.
She's apparently distanced herself far away from Zak. No idea of anything else but you can put her in the "people Zak successfully manipulated until he couldn't any more" camp.

Desbrough is news to me.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

dwarf74 posted:

She's apparently distanced herself far away from Zak. No idea of anything else but you can put her in the "people Zak successfully manipulated until he couldn't any more" camp.

Desbrough is news to me.

She did the art for his Machinations of the Space Princess game.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Desbrough is news to me.

She distanced herself from Zak, but never actually made amends for all the people she helped him harass on Google+, just a lot of hand-wringing about how she feels so bad for Mandy and couldn't believe this happened. At one point she actually used the phrase 'I don't consent to this conversation" as a response to someone asking about her past misdeeds.

She also defended Desborough on Twitter when everyone was calling him out for... some horrible thing he did, there are so many it all blends together.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

If that sort of thing is an issue for you, you probably already shouldn't be backing the Avatar RPG, because Magpie Games is owned by an idiot dick who was happy to throw an old friend under the bus to avoid potentially angering Zak's fanbase, even though Zak is a pants-making GBS threads rapist.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777631&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=464#post516699250

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

ElegantFugue posted:

If that sort of thing is an issue for you, you probably already shouldn't be backing the Avatar RPG, because Magpie Games is owned by an idiot dick who was happy to throw an old friend under the bus to avoid potentially angering Zak's fanbase, even though Zak is a pants-making GBS threads rapist.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777631&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=464#post516699250

Diaz-Truman apologized for his original post, which (understandably) isn't enough for some people, but some people were willing to see if he'd do better in the future. This... is not that. Satine has never once apologized for anything, and often makes herself out to be the victim whenever people try calling her out on her bullshit.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Tsilkani posted:

Diaz-Truman apologized for his original post, which (understandably) isn't enough for some people, but some people were willing to see if he'd do better in the future. This... is not that. Satine has never once apologized for anything, and often makes herself out to be the victim whenever people try calling her out on her bullshit.

The original post is a many-page screed about how it's important we be welcoming and not make others feel bad by doing things like pointing out they're hateful toxic bigots, and the apology is a few lines of "I was clearly wrong, I'm sorry and I don't mean it any more, okay bye all"
So yeah

EDIT: I'm still just amazed at how baffling the original post was. He writes at length about how kind and good and considerate his friend is, so when he sees said friend lashing out at someone Diaz-Truman doesn't personally know, he assumes "my friend must be in the wrong this time, I need to defend this stranger even if it means destroying my friendship in an open and public way!"
How does a person think this is a good idea for a thing to do on your public company blog

ElegantFugue fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 1, 2021

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I totally get why people don't think his apology is sufficient, I'm just saying he still did more than Satine ever did, so her addition lowered the bar even further.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Not sure how I missed this but that is one eclectic casting of top names, at least so far as any group of D&D adjacent designers can be considered eclectic. First day exclusives annoy the poo poo out of me, though.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Currently 66,500~ backers. That's a looootta cardboard :v:

The best selling hardcover book of 2019 sold over a million copies, so relatively speaking not that much cardboard? I guess the supply in the US may be already promised or something, but that’s not an insanely huge print run except on the RPG scale.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ah yes 2019. The Before Times.

Just over an hour left on Arydia if people are interested - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/faroffgames/arydia-the-paths-we-dare-tread

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Thanlis posted:

The best selling hardcover book of 2019 sold over a million copies, so relatively speaking not that much cardboard? I guess the supply in the US may be already promised or something, but that’s not an insanely huge print run except on the RPG scale.

Yeah, my suspicion is that it's not dominating the entire cardboard supply, just that supply chains are screwy right now and a lot of it circulating in the US is already spoken for.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

American Marxism by Mark Levin sold most of its 1 million print run in July, and the publisher had already ordered a second printing of 500k as reported on August 5th. Not saying the update is a lie, but the key words there might be our printer. Seems like hyperbole. Still, thats a pretty big order for an indy/kickstarter!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

malkav11 posted:

Yeah, my suspicion is that it's not dominating the entire cardboard supply, just that supply chains are screwy right now and a lot of it circulating in the US is already spoken for.

They're looking at printing about 120,000 hardback, color interior, books between core and the supplement. That's a big chunk to push through the printing industry right now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The offset print Stars Without Number kickstarter just launched and I'm pretty sure it's the first nerdgame KS I've seen to just openly say "sorry, the global shipping crisis means you're pretty much hosed if you're not in the US".

Not mad or anything, there's legit nothing anyone can do about it, but it's pretty annoying. Can't blame Crawford for it though.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I'm glad he's honest and tbh it sets a good precedent and standard for smaller devs (like me) to be able to do the same, but it really does suck a bunch of farts. gently caress this whole timeline.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drone posted:

The offset print Stars Without Number kickstarter just launched and I'm pretty sure it's the first nerdgame KS I've seen to just openly say "sorry, the global shipping crisis means you're pretty much hosed if you're not in the US".

Not mad or anything, there's legit nothing anyone can do about it, but it's pretty annoying. Can't blame Crawford for it though.

It does have limited shipping to some countries Crawford can reliably ship to. I bought the offset print of WWN from him recently to Canada and it would be the exact same price (including shipping) to back SWN now, so I'll happily do it if I have the funds.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

One assumes Canada is less affected by virtue of the fact that books in the US don't need to be shipped to Canada by boat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drone posted:

One assumes Canada is less affected by virtue of the fact that books in the US don't need to be shipped to Canada by boat.

There are others on the list that would require shipping by boat. But I think for that tier it's paying for expensive but reliable airmail shipping from the US - so Crawford gets everything delivered to him then individually sends the other stuff out as international packages.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Exalted Funeral added two new stretch goals for their Herbalist's Primer: everyone gets paid more, and community copies, 100 digital and 100 physical. I don't think I've seen physical community copies as a goal before, but it's neat.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

This looked cute, there's a few days left.
A game about WEE WHIMSICAL CREATURES and trying to identify them after someone makes noises.

What it is, is there's these wee whimsical creatures, and you've got two identify them after someone makes a noise.

Someone described it as like Dixit but with noises.

UK only shipping on account of you know, but there's a nice wee print and play version for elsewhere for just a single £1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Pinnacle seems to be trying something new.

They've had quite a successful history with Kickstarter at this point so I'm curious to see how branching out will work for them. So far they seem to be doing fine but then I only noticed this was happening by randomly going to their website for something else and I haven't seen advertisements anywhere yet. I would love to know how they judge whether the relative loss of exposure was worth the additional percentage they get to keep.

If this works out well enough for them I could see other large Kickstarter RPG companies (Monte Cook Games, Onyx Path, Fria Ligan) moving to their own platforms. Decentralization seems to be picking up slowly in the crowdfunding market.