Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have ikea grinders at my table for salt and pepper and a Magnum by the stove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have one Magnum in the kitchen set for a coarser grind and another Magnum that lives on the dining room table set to a finer grind.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If I was going to have a pepper mill that lived on the table, it would probably be a Peugeot

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

I have one Magnum in the kitchen set for a coarser grind and another Magnum that lives on the dining room table set to a finer grind.
Do you ask your food if it feels lucky?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This is all you need to know. Choose fineness and aesthetics or pepper volume.

I adore my dildo themed pepper grinder though.

Just go all the way and put an actual marble dildo and vagina shaped pestle out and make the guests 'grind' their own at dinner parties.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I use Kuhn Rikons because the lever is easier on my wrists than the knob grinders.

I do want to get a spice grinder because I found out I happen to use a poo poo load of pepper and trying to get a cup by hand was incredibly painful.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

mystes posted:

Do you ask your food if it feels lucky?

:blastu:
Hell yeah

Unicorn used to sell a holster for waitstaff to wear the grinder on the hip I don't know if they still do or not.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Searching for "grinder holster" does seem like a risky click

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Speaking of unicorns, is there a difference between the 6” and the 9” aside from capacity? Also the pepper stick has a holster.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

obi_ant posted:

Speaking of unicorns, is there a difference between the 6” and the 9” aside from capacity? Also the pepper stick has a holster.

The 6" one is about 1/3 shorter that the 9" one.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Croatoan posted:

The 6" one is about 1/3 shorter that the 9" one.

What is this, grindr?

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

As for toaster ovens, the Breville Smart Oven is worth every penny imo. I hardly ever use my big oven anymore.

Agree, I love my Smart Oven. 100% worth it. It preheats fast, doesnt heat up the kitchen, and is big enough for 95% of my cooking (for 2 people).

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

I can’t help but notice that nobody has clarified what the gently caress this is yet or posted a link to it, and google didn’t help me.

What is this Vitamix Mayo Making Attachment? That sounds very much like a thing I want to buy right drat now.

My bad, I should have been more specific.

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/shop/aer-disc-container

We mostly use it for mayo and salad dressings. I would like to play around more with making foams. I also found out that you can make butter with it when you get distracted while whipping cream.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
*clicks link*

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Anyone have thoughts on the KitchenAid Ravioli maker? Or recommendations on any other tool to make creating ravioli suck less?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

captkirk posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the KitchenAid Ravioli maker? Or recommendations on any other tool to make creating ravioli suck less?
I just use one of the manual ones that's basically just a metal frame. You use your pasta maker to make a sheet of pasta and cut it so you have two pieces as long as the frame. You put one sheet on the frame and then use the plastic mold that comes with it to push down on the sheet of pasta. This makes a bunch of little dents you fill with whatever you're filling your ravioli with. Then you moisten the edges, put the other sheet of pasta on top, and then run a roller over the top to crimp the edges.

Dead simple and a lot faster than doing it with individual ravioli stamps.

The automatic machines are great when they work but they're more of a pain in the rear end to clean, and how well they work depends on what you're using for filling. And they're like ten times as expensive and have moving parts to break.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Okay now I've been doing some reading and while I don't think the foaming vitamix attachment is for me, does anyone here have the food processor kit for it?

Costco has it for $160 and it's very enticing to be able to use the vitamix for food processing vs getting a new appliance.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Okay now I've been doing some reading and while I don't think the foaming vitamix attachment is for me, does anyone here have the food processor kit for it?

Costco has it for $160 and it's very enticing to be able to use the vitamix for food processing vs getting a new appliance.

Just a heads up, it’s only compatible with their newer models. So you’ll want to check on compatibility.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

.Z. posted:

Just a heads up, it’s only compatible with their newer models. So you’ll want to check on compatibility.

I got my vitamix in the last four or five years so here's hoping I guess.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that doesn't mean anything, they still sell new "classic" models which doesn't work with the newer accessories

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m late to oven mitt chat but holy poo poo Oxo oven mitts are made of sugar and disintegrate in the wash. Put it in a lingerie bag or something

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

My ex drank a lot of wine and that kind of opener was awesome. I have a proper waiters corkscrew, but the rabbit makes it so fast.

You need a rabbit if you want a high rate of BPMs (bottles per minute)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

that doesn't mean anything, they still sell new "classic" models which doesn't work with the newer accessories

Oh yeah upon review I 100% don't have the right vitamix for this attachment. Fuckin bummer.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I just bought 2 pairs of these (1 for the kitchen, 1 for the pottery kiln). I picked the longest pair I could find... the Flavortown feel was just a bonus.

I haven't washed them yet, but I did unload a @500-degree kiln with no problem.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

As long as they stay dry they'll work great

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

after nothing but non-stick stuff I finally bought a dutch oven and an All Clad stainless steel pan. so far I've made babby's first coq au vin in the dutch oven, and then chicken thighs with a lemon pan sauce.

both were amazing. being able to properly brown the skin and get a real fond is extremely dope

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It really is an amazing switch. Going from non-stick to All-Clad stainless pans was really what got me a lot more interested in being a better cook. Before that I was trying to learn a bit and just got sick of replacing lovely non-stick pans. Even on an electric it was like night and day.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

right, it helps answer the question of "what can I cook tonight?" on a random weeknight. Like yeah I can cook some chicken and veggies, but that alone is never that appealing to me.

being able to quickly make a good pan sauce makes it into something I actually want to eat instead of just ordering out again.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Does anyone have opinions about small front-opening freezers? I don't have anywhere to put a chest freezer, but we have a space under a counter where a mini fridge sized unit could go. The market seems split between relatively cheap, mildly crap looking consumer units and expensive commercial products, but not much seems to differentiate them otherwise. Is this a situation where I just buy whatever fits and they're all kind of the same? I'm also worried that the interior is going to be an awkward shape and size that not much actually fits in.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

you ate my cat posted:

Does anyone have opinions about small front-opening freezers? I don't have anywhere to put a chest freezer, but we have a space under a counter where a mini fridge sized unit could go. The market seems split between relatively cheap, mildly crap looking consumer units and expensive commercial products, but not much seems to differentiate them otherwise. Is this a situation where I just buy whatever fits and they're all kind of the same? I'm also worried that the interior is going to be an awkward shape and size that not much actually fits in.

You might want to find an outlet that supplies contractors and see what they have. There is one here where I have seen commercial units that didn’t end up getting installed that were like scratch and dent or whatever for relatively cheap.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ThermoWorks.com is doing a Labor Day sale! 18% off your entire order using code SHAREBBQ at checkout.

:siren: This sale INCLUDES the new Thermapen ONE instant-read thermometer, which I think makes this the first time the ONE has been on sale since its release.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SURELY there is a device that grates an entire rear end wedge of parmesan cheese without making my arm sore as gently caress, right?

Right?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Isn't that what food processors are for?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I. M. Gei posted:

SURELY there is a device that grates an entire rear end wedge of parmesan cheese without making my arm sore as gently caress, right?

Right?

Food processor?

It’ll be big grains though and not light feathery snowflakes but good enough for me

Once every few months I buy a block of parm and run it through the food processor grating disc

Then I put it in several 8oz delitainers, put most of them in the freezer and leave one in the fridge for sprinkling on anything

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Whatshisname on the BA videos used to talk about blender parm

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
You would have to cut it into smaller pieces but why not use one of those crank graters?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've had one of these types for years.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HX6HAK6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_F9TMWYAH6ZNJNCAH06DD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It makes quick work of parm if I don't feel like using a microplane.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Once every few months I buy a block of parm and run it through the food processor grating disc

Then I put it in several 8oz delitainers, put most of them in the freezer and leave one in the fridge for sprinkling on anything
This is a crime against parm

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

Right?

We go through about 8lbs of parm per day. SOP is grate it with the grater disc of the food processor, then run it through with the normal food processor blade. The closest you’re gonna get to microplaned texture without using an actual microplane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

I've had one of these types for years.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HX6HAK6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_F9TMWYAH6ZNJNCAH06DD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It makes quick work of parm if I don't feel like using a microplane.
Yeah this. Just chop your parm into smaller blocks, stick em in and gently turn the wheel. It also looks super classy if you’re doing this in front of guests. Cleanup is kinda painful if you really want to get all the cheese out of the wheel, but you could also just leave the whole thing in your fridge and take it out when you need to.