Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjGRxdugW7M

who here likes Silver

I think the technical side is all figured out so

I've done some notes for the structure of Sonic's story to start with, figuring out how I'm gonna organize everything...

...it's gonna take 23 videos just for normal mode, with S-Ranks probably only incidental if I get lucky, because I want to collect all 10 Silver Medals as well, and I know I'll have to die for some of them...

...good thing I'm looking at a few months of living alone during weekdays for job reasons next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

This game's structure is utter lunacy but so is what I'm doing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Godspeed, you maniac

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sega Genesis Picross is a sham

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Evil Eagle posted:

shameful, can't believe they would let this slide. How the mighty Sega has fallen

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

This is loving pissing me off

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what's the issue...? he's in my copy

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Looper posted:

what's the issue...? he's in my copy

mods??

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Evil Eagle posted:

:catstare:

That's Metal Sonic from Sonic CD, not Mecha Sonic from Sonic 3 :eng101:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/sonicofficialjp/status/1432659537173958657?s=21

Dreams Come True apparently have virtual avatars and are giving a virtual concert that presumably has their new Green Hill song. The future is so weird.

Raylax posted:

:catstare:

That's Metal Sonic from Sonic CD, not Mecha Sonic from Sonic 3 :eng101:

That’s right, Raylax.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

nothing wrong here

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sonic Colors Ultimate is out for Deluxe havers.

Yep, this is still a Pretty Good Sonic Game. The jumping physics are still as wonky as I remember though. I’m on the edge of my rear end anytime I’m attempting precision platforming with them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ooh, I lost all track of when that was coming back. Guess that's my weekend sorted then!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

Sonic Colors Ultimate is out for Deluxe havers.

Yep, this is still a Pretty Good Sonic Game. The jumping physics are still as wonky as I remember though. I’m on the edge of my rear end anytime I’m attempting precision platforming with them.

Oh nice, I thought it wasn’t due until next week. Is there anything new besides the Tails tokens, new Wisp, and Metal Sonic races?

Also what does the Ghost Wisp do exactly?

As an aside, for some reason the game didn’t automatically start downloading when I turned on my PS4 like usual so I had to do it manually through the store

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 3, 2021

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Larryb posted:

Oh nice, I thought it wasn’t due until next week. Is there anything new besides the Tails tokens, new Wisp, and Metal Sonic races?

Also what does the Ghost Wisp do exactly?

As an aside, for some reason the game didn’t automatically start downloading when I turned on my PS4 like usual so I had to do it manually through the store

From what I've seen it can used to float through walls to set anchor points? Seems kind of shoehorned in.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Larryb posted:

Oh nice, I thought it wasn’t due until next week. Is there anything new besides the Tails tokens, new Wisp, and Metal Sonic Races?

There’s store tokens you can find in the levels and earn in the results screen that you can cash in for customization items. That’s about it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

There’s store tokens you can find in the levels and earn in the results screen that you can cash in for customization items. That’s about it.

What kind of customization options are there?

Also how does the whole Tails rescue thing work (like are there a limited amount of tokens that are one use only or something)?

Finally, is there any incentive to doing the aforementioned Metal Sonic races?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Larryb posted:

What kind of customization options are there?

Also how does the whole Tails rescue thing work (like are there a limited amount of tokens that are one use only or something)?

Finally, is there any incentive to doing the aforementioned Metal Sonic races?

You can buy different gloves, shoes, auras, and boost effects. Also a ton of player icons? Not sure what they’re for, leaderboards maybe.

Tails icons seem to have taken the place of lives, as I don’t think there’s a lives counter or pickups anymore. You find them in the levels and if you fall down a pit it transports you back to whatever the game deems the last acceptable area of the level is.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Oh, they added a Super Sonic unlock. Not sure offhand what the requirements are in addition to getting all the emeralds, which I think is achieved through the sonic simulator.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

You can buy different gloves, shoes, auras, and boost effects. Also a ton of player icons? Not sure what they’re for, leaderboards maybe.

Tails icons seem to have taken the place of lives, as I don’t think there’s a lives counter or pickups anymore. You find them in the levels and if you fall down a pit it transports you back to whatever the game deems the last acceptable area of the level is.

So there’s no lives system anymore? That actually sounds like a smart idea.

So I assume the only difference between falling down a pit with or without Tails is where the game dumps you back to then?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 3, 2021

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Larryb posted:

So there’s no lives system anymore? That actually sounds like a smart idea.

So I assume the only difference between falling down a pit with or without Tails is where the game dumps you back to then?

Yeah presumably if you have no tails icons it just goes back to a checkpoint versus the closest solid ground area.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Makes sense (and makes things a lot less frustrating as well).

Also Super Sonic was available in the Wii version after getting all the emeralds from the Sonic Simulator as well, unless you mean there’s an extra level like in the DS version or something

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

man nurse posted:

Oh, they added a Super Sonic unlock. Not sure offhand what the requirements are in addition to getting all the emeralds, which I think is achieved through the sonic simulator.

Super Sonic was always in the game; if it's the same as the original then yeah it'll just be the Sonic Simulator levels that unlock it.

E: fb

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Larryb posted:

Makes sense (and makes things a lot less frustrating as well).

Also Super Sonic was available in the Wii version after getting all the emeralds from the Sonic Simulator as well, unless you mean there’s an extra level like in the DS version or something

Ah okay, I didn’t remember that. Not sure if there’s any changes there.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

Ah okay, I didn’t remember that. Not sure if there’s any changes there.

All the cutscenes are listed in the options menu so I doubt it.

Also did they change the music/SFX in this game? So far Reach For The Stars sounds slightly remixed and sometimes there’s this weird clanging sound when you land a homing attack

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

All the cutscenes are listed in the options menu so I doubt it.

Also did they change the music/SFX in this game? So far Reach For The Stars sounds slightly remixed and sometimes there’s this weird clanging sound when you land a homing attack

That clanging sound seems to represent when you destroy an enemy that refuels your boost gauge.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah I see. I kind of wish they gave you the option to use the d-pad during 2D sections and there’s a weird bit of lag when scrolling through the options menu.

Otherwise the game still looks and plays fine so far (especially now that they’ve ditched the concept of limited lives).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another thing is that there are no longer multiple save slots like there were in the Wii version.

Also, did they have Coleen redub Kate Higgins’ lines as Tails in this game? I know he has some new hint dialogue at least.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Another thing is that there are no longer multiple save slots like there were in the Wii version.

Also, did they have Coleen redub Kate Higgins’ lines as Tails in this game? I know he has some new hint dialogue at least.

Kate is credited in the Colors Ultimate section of the credits as additional voices.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dehry posted:

Kate is credited in the Colors Ultimate section of the credits as additional voices.

Ah ok, I know there’s some new Tails dialogue in the game (the hint messages regarding the shop/Tails tokens and the Jade Wisp along with some lines on the customization menu) but I wasn’t sure if they kept Kate’s lines and had Coleen do the new ones or just had the latter do both.

Speaking of, at the end of the credits the game gives you a bunch of extra lives. Since lives aren’t a thing anymore in the remake what’s that replaced with, Tails tokens or something?

Finally, how do you unlock the Rival Races and do you get anything good for doing them?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 4, 2021

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think I was getting tokens. They both use the one up noise.

Rival races unlock through red rings.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think they literally just replaced the instances of lives pickups with the store tokens instead.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

I think they literally just replaced the instances of lives pickups with the store tokens instead.

As mentioned, both types of tokens make the 1up sound when collected so that’d make sense

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Does it annoy anyone else that that's become the 1up jingle when it was originally the chaos emerald jingle?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So is the negativity overblown like usual or is Ultimate the new SADX?

Dabir posted:

Does it annoy anyone else that that's become the 1up jingle when it was originally the chaos emerald jingle?

Not really, the 1up version’s sped up enough and played with different instruments so it never struck me as being too similar.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The original was way better, it had some gravitas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM-j8kUR1MI

Unfortunately they started used 1ups as a replacement for good level design later in the series, and it just wouldn't work as the kind of jingle you hear every couple of minutes

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

flavor.flv posted:

Unfortunately they started used 1ups as a replacement for good level design later in the series, and it just wouldn't work as the kind of jingle you hear every couple of minutes

Case in point: Sonic 4, where the Sonic 3 1up music plays on a near constant loop.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

So is the negativity overblown like usual or is Ultimate the new SADX?

I haven't bothered looking at any reviews or reactions, but the game itself is basically the same with improved visuals. However the cutscenes are just poorly upscaled versions of the originals, and the soundtrack is at best no worse than the original, and in some cases massively downgraded. The main theme just crushed me in how much worse it is, it's so weak and tinny and has lost all of its punch. The same goes for a number of in-game tracks. I kind of regret getting it for PlayStation now, because someone is definitely furiously working on restoring the original soundtrack as we speak.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Case in point: Sonic 4, where the Sonic 3 1up music plays on a near constant loop.

I haven't bothered looking at any reviews or reactions, but the game itself is basically the same with improved visuals. However the cutscenes are just poorly upscaled versions of the originals, and the soundtrack is at best no worse than the original, and in some cases massively downgraded. The main theme just crushed me in how much worse it is, it's so weak and tinny and has lost all of its punch. The same goes for a number of in-game tracks. I kind of regret getting it for PlayStation now, because someone is definitely furiously working on restoring the original soundtrack as we speak.

No major game breaking glitches?
The music thing is too bad, though I think we’re gonna have to agree to disagree on the main theme if you’re talking about Reach for the Stars because I really liked the new version when they played it at the symphony.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The new version is quite good, but it just doesn't work when paired with the game it was written for. The intro used to hit you like a jackhammer and set the tone perfectly, now it just feels kind of hollow in context. That's kind of how I feel for a lot of the new OST, they've removed a lot of the bass and energy that matched the bright, loud, cartoon aesthetic.

I guess it's not a deal breaker or anything, but I guess I could just spin up the original in Dolphin. And if Colours is successful, maybe we'll get other remasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Nah, don't worry.
Denuvo and the engine being a combination of something new and old Wii C++ programming has lead to most modders saying "lmao gently caress this, we're not gonna mod this poo poo"