Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

It's a very powerful fandom. Guns, I mean

The interesting thing is that it's seldom gun fans bringing it up. Like, you check out some anime, especially 80s and 90s OVAs, there's incredibly detailed shots of guns, there's obsessive attention to detail, talk about how guns work, strengths and weaknesses of various ammo types. These are fans of guns.

(A scene from The Wire comes to mind, where Mouzone and Omar talk about their choice of pistols.)

Meanwhile, most people asking why people don't just shoot Batman don't know a Colt 45 from a Walther PPK. It's usually people who think of all firearms as generic "gun".

It's less being a fan of guns, and more being a fan of "outsmarting" the story in front of you, like talking about how everyone would recognize Clark Kent as Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

chiasaur11 posted:

Meanwhile, most people asking why people don't just shoot Batman don't know a Colt 45 from a Walther PPK. It's usually people who think of all firearms as generic "gun".
Thingy go boom on dude's face.

No wait give me a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range with an ebony buttstock that makes it more real

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Zzulu posted:

Most comics downplay guns a lot because it's not exciting if Spiderman gets shot to death by a machinegun so the goons shooting at him will miss all the shots or they'll enter the fight with baseball bats or some overcomplicated laser weapon or something

Most heroes without superspeed or superdurability would just straight up die to guns

Spider-Man's whole thing is dodging bullets! It's like that and the web swinging!

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

In addition to the MLA believing in quirk supremacy it's also worth pointing out that their entire goal here is to manufacture a situation where villains "attack" Deika city and are then driven back by a group of civilians using their quirks in order to bolster support for their ideology. Somewhat defeats the purpose if they're just like "the LOV attacked us so then we shot them."

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Blockhouse posted:

Spider-Man's whole thing is dodging bullets! It's like that and the web swinging!

Every hero dodges bullets because they have plot armor, just like action heroes in movies. Spider man has spider sense and quick reflexes but he’s not faster than a bullet so 5 goons shooting at him would result in a dead spiderman. That’s the thing in comics, powers are always depicted as superior and bullets seem to travel at half-speed. Unless the characters ”power” is GUN

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

Every hero dodges bullets because they have plot armor, just like action heroes in movies. Spider man has spider sense and quick reflexes but he’s not faster than a bullet so 5 goons shooting at him would result in a dead spiderman. That’s the thing in comics, powers are always depicted as superior and bullets seem to travel at half-speed. Unless the characters ”power” is GUN

He's precognitive, which means he's moving before the bullet clears the chamber. Even aside from him sometimes being portrayed as faster than bullets[, and even aside from dodging bullets not requiring you to be faster (if you only have to move an inch to get out of the way and the bullet has to clear twenty feet, you can only be 1/240th as fast and you'll be alright) Spider-Man has reflexes that go "Hey, bullet coming!" automatically, then move him safely out of the way, with his inhuman flexibility letting him slip right between rounds and his super-strength letting him jump 20+ feet in the air to get well outside the firing cone before he snaps the guns to his hands with his webs.

It's not quite as dumb as "Why don't people just shoot Superman?" but it's still pretty stupid.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'll just compute that I need to move an inch to the left to avoid this bullet, unfortunately there are 100 more bullets coming my way at 2,600 feet per second and now i'm dead.

OR, he actually is that capable and his entire rogues gallery should never ever be able to land anything on him ever

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 31, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FilthyImp posted:

Thingy go boom on dude's face.

The incredibly lovely Neal Adams comic Batman: Odyssey ends several issues with cliffhangers with stuff like Batman getting shot point blank in the face:

... and in the next issue it reveals that he has a transparent bulletproof shield built into his cowl which automatically pops out whenever that happens

It's extremely stupid

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Batman generally does not try to take on dudes using guns face on. Same with Spidey, who tends to try and get get shot at by multiple people with guns from one direction.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
So since my original question was clearly "why are they bum rushing the proximally omnicidal guys if this was supposed to be an extremely well-planned operation?" and not "heh, why doesn't Superman just turn a giant crank etc." I guess the only actual answer mentioned is that MLA quirk supremacy provides the pretext necessary for them to be as dumb as the writing needs them to be in order to crank out a chapter every week.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Not Keyser Soze posted:

So since my original question was clearly "why are they bum rushing the proximally omnicidal guys if this was supposed to be an extremely well-planned operation?" and not "heh, why doesn't Superman just turn a giant crank etc." I guess the only actual answer mentioned is that MLA quirk supremacy provides the pretext necessary for them to be as dumb as the writing needs them to be in order to crank out a chapter every week.

Basically, yeah. The whole purpose of the exercise was to show off their quirks, so a non-quirk killing method would defeat the point.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Not Keyser Soze posted:

In full fairness, other than Shigaraki and Dabi, most of the League don't have very good quirks for handling overwhelming odds. There's absolutely no reason that a mob of people couldn't beat the flying poo poo out of Toga, Twice, Compress, and Spinner. They might lose some people in the process, but none of those four are well equipped for fighting crowds. Hell, even Shigaraki's quirk is normally vulnerable to crowds - he can only get five fingers on any two people at a time. Dabi's the only person who can clear out a whole street full of people in one blast and I can't remember if this was in this episode or just in the preview for next episode so I'll spoil it but, you may have noticed they only sent one (1) guy after Dabi. A specific person they consider a heavy hitter that they think can handle him.

The MLA aren't dumb necessarily. The leadership just sees a lot of the people of Deika City as expendable and numbers should work. Numbers already would have worked on Toga if her quirk hadn't suddenly changed to allow her to use the quirk of the person she's changed in to.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I would argue that Twice's quirk is the opposite of "being vulnerable to crowds", considering he can just create a full-powered copy of Dabi basically on demand.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Lt. Lizard posted:

I would argue that Twice's quirk is the opposite of "being vulnerable to crowds", considering he can just create a full-powered copy of Dabi basically on demand.

He himself is vulnerable to crowds, as he has a pretty well known weak spot (his mask). Also doesn't he need direct contact with someone to clone them? I don't think he can create them from memory.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jassa posted:

He himself is vulnerable to crowds, as he has a pretty well known weak spot (his mask). Also doesn't he need direct contact with someone to clone them? I don't think he can create them from memory.

He can and he has. He just needs all the details about the person perfectly committed to memory.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Yeah he needs a person's measurements to duplicate them. If you recall, he spawned a Mr. Compress from nowhere during the Overhaul arc to help tunnel them out of the underground stronghold.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Does the Legally Distinct From A Ninja Turtle guy even have abilities?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sankara posted:

Does the Legally Distinct From A Ninja Turtle guy even have abilities?

Are you talking about Stain? If so yes he can paralyze people by consuming their blood.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Are you talking about Stain? If so yes he can paralyze people by consuming their blood.

I think the question's about Spinner.

He can climb walls, but his main value to the LOV is that he's the only one with a driver's license.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I think the question's about Spinner.

He can climb walls, but his main value to the LOV is that he's the only one with a driver's license.

Still pissed the anime didn't use "Grand Theft Auto!"

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

His quirk hasn't been stated in the anime yet.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Poor Spinner, he's supposed to be one of the more relatable members of the League of Villains but all his scenes end up cut from the anime so he's basically a background character there.

The opening scene of this arc (manga spoilers I guess, in case they insert it later) followed him and his inner monologue as the LoV raided the Creature Rejection Clan's HQ and robbed them. Then right before Gigantomachia arrives at their hideout there's a scene which provides insight into his motivations and why he's with the League (short answer: discrimination and hope of change).

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Fun game to play is "Spawn or Slash from TMNT" with Stain and Spinner.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Remember Spinner's introduction and how he had a giant sword made of regular swords and knives and then it gets kicked once and they all shatter?

That feels like it was basically the last time he was allowed to be relevant in the anime.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I honestly thought they killed Wish Ninja Turtle because what a waste of a character.

I get it that maybe they don't want to go into heteromorphic racism with Tokoyami, but if they're not doing that with reptile man he's just... there.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

FilthyImp posted:

I honestly thought they killed Wish Ninja Turtle because what a waste of a character.

I get it that maybe they don't want to go into heteromorphic racism with Tokoyami, but if they're not doing that with reptile man he's just... there.
it's funny because being a victim of racism is literally one of Spinner's main motivators to join the league. They really should just kill him off if they're not gonna go into it.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
For some reason the people doing the anime have gone full Hayes Code and decided villains should never get any nuance

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Spinner's ninja design or w/e just makes him look like knockoff Stain so I kinda wrote him off at the start tbh.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FilthyImp posted:

They did do that! In the manga! The show cut it out! It's baffling!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

"Villains get humanized" is extremely my poo poo so it's disappointing that the anime dropped the ball so hard on that

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Gazaar posted:

Spinner's ninja design or w/e just makes him look like knockoff Stain so I kinda wrote him off at the start tbh.

Isn't that intentional? I thought everyone in the LoV except Kurogiri joined because they were Stain fanboys/girls.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

rocketbrah posted:

Isn't that intentional? I thought everyone in the LoV except Kurogiri joined because they were Stain fanboys/girls.

Spinner and Toga did. Spinner was an idealogical fan, as he agreed with Stain’s whole heroes are not being true heroes stuff, Toga just liked the blood I suspect.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
It doesn't help that he apparently gets 0 of the characterization he does from the manga by all these accounts. Interesting choices to cut a bunch of important stuff like whole group motivations, so we could have 16 episodes about how class B are moderately tenacious.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Spinner was the narrator for the start of the arc even.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've never seen a Shonen Jump movie gently caress over the anime it's based on so hard before

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

Spinner and Toga did. Spinner was an idealogical fan, as he agreed with Stain’s whole heroes are not being true heroes stuff, Toga just liked the blood I suspect.

Yeah, Toga just really liked Stain's violence.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I've never seen a Shonen Jump movie gently caress over the anime it's based on so hard before

I don't think you can blame cutting out entire character motivations on just the movie. There's probably a lot of other dumb stuff going on behind the scenes that we'll probably never hear about.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah the production on this season is scuffed top to bottom in ways previous MHA seasons weren't so I don't think it's all just an issue with the film

there's "well people are working on the movie so things look a little off" and then there's "well we expanded way too much on one part of the story, rearranged the order of events, cut down another part, and threw out an animator's work in favor of just not animating it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I was at a bookstore today and I wandered past the comic section and there was a MHA volume facing outward so I took a look at it. Normally I avoid manga that isn't colored jojo's because I can't stand B&W anything, but I really liked the art in it anyway, and I feel like I have a good enough sense of the anime's color palette that it wouldn't bother me much. Also there's some sort of wacky spinoff series called MHA Smash that seems to be cute little side stories and stuff? I hadn't heard of it before but it sounds exactly up my alley considering they have all these great characters that don't get enough screen time. Also Vigilantes sounds good and I could read that too, so I guess I might as well get used to manga.