Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

bewbies posted:

I had a spirited debate with my stepdad who is an elite fish man who generally really knows his poo poo last night and I want to know more.

I throw/write/etc left handed. On spinning reels I always move the crank to the right side of the reel so's I can cast with my left hand and crank with my right. The first time I ever picked up a baitcaster, it was a right-hand crank...the same basic idea as the spinners I was used to, and it made perfect sense. As long as I can remember, I've held the rod and cast with my left hand, and cranked with my right.

Apparently...this is not the norm for baitcasters? Stepdad was saying that he and everyone he knows casts and retrieves with the same hand, meaning they cast, then switch the rod to their off hand when retrieving so they can crank with their strong hand. In other words, he said I should be retreiving with my left hand.

I'd never even given this a second thought, but it seems in cursory googling he's...sort of right? I had noticed that there are always more righty baitcasters than left, but I guess I never considered why that might be. It also looks like more folks are switching to a one-hand setup like what I've always done.

Anyway I'm very curious now what other people do.

Starting out it just made sense for me as a righty to fish what's known as a left-hand baitcast reel, where you reel with your left hand. The obvious benefit is not having to switch hands mid-cast. Plus, I feel more confident in my right thumb to control the spool, and my right wrist when I'm pitching.

I'm not a skater or surfer but if I were I'd ride goofy. I also shoot long guns left-handed, due to a bad right eye, so maybe I'm not the best data point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

bewbies posted:

I throw/write/etc left handed. On spinning reels I always move the crank to the right side of the reel so's I can cast with my left hand and crank with my right.

Apparently...this is not the norm for baitcasters? Stepdad was saying that he and everyone he knows casts and retrieves with the same hand, meaning they cast, then switch the rod to their off hand when retrieving so they can crank with their strong hand. In other words, he said I should be retreiving with my left hand.

There's no "right" way. I'd lean towards your way being more optimal for an entire day of fishing so you can shave off the second it takes to switch hands, and so you never lose contact with the setup.

The physical difference between on and off hand cranking doesn't seem matter for most freshwater sport fish. Comfort matters more, right?

Once fish get bigger, I can see an argument for dominant hand cranks, but even with big snook or redfish my guides ways had left hand cranks.

I would never debate any of the above in person. As long as you're not holding your spinning reel upside down and cranking backwards at least. Telling new people which side they HAVE to crank on is dumb hawg cranking!

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I'm right handed and have to shop around a tiny bit to find baitcasters that are left-hand crank.

I had a similar if not stupider debate with my father a week ago. He bought his first baitcaster reel and didn't want to buy a new rod so he just threw it on his now upside down spinning rod. I told him you couldn't do that and he asked why and the only argument I had was that it looks dumb. Is there an actual reason you shouldn't do that?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So that brings up another question -- I've been cranking with my off hand so long that doing so with my strong hand feels weird. Do other folks start one handed and then change over to switching the rod when they move to baitcasters?

ihop posted:

I'm right handed and have to shop around a tiny bit to find baitcasters that are left-hand crank.

I had a similar if not stupider debate with my father a week ago. He bought his first baitcaster reel and didn't want to buy a new rod so he just threw it on his now upside down spinning rod. I told him you couldn't do that and he asked why and the only argument I had was that it looks dumb. Is there an actual reason you shouldn't do that?

It'll probably work, but the big problem is spin rod eyes are very different (much bigger and more spaced out) than baitcaster rod eyes, which I would assume would lead to a lot more tangles and a lot shittier casting.

I used a $30 baitcasting rod for years and it worked just fine, I think it'd be worth that much to just avoid the irritation.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

bewbies posted:

So that brings up another question -- I've been cranking with my off hand so long that doing so with my strong hand feels weird. Do other folks start one handed and then change over to switching the rod when they move to baitcasters?

I use my left (off) hand. Friend gave me a right hand crank baitcaster his grandfather left behind. I hate every minute of using it lol.

People should fish what's comfortable.. There is no other SHOULD here unless you're a curmudgeon.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I prefer controlling the rod with my dominant hand, since that's what moves the fish. Cranking the reel is just bringing line back in.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Ghostnuke posted:

I prefer controlling the rod with my dominant hand

Giggity.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I've always used my dominant hand to control the rod and my off hand to reel.

Every youtube video I've seen with a baitcaster does as your step father has said, though, casting with the dominant hand, then switching the rod to the other hand to retrieve with the dominant hand.

Seems weird to me but that is the way most people do it. The baitcaster i inherited from my grandpa is left hand retrieve because he also thought it was weird to switch hands and retrieve with the dominant hand.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I'm genuinely curious if this is a real technique with logic behind it rather than something fishing bros started saying you HAVE to do. It makes no sense to me as far as all day economy goes. You can only turn a crank so fast, and you're losing efficiency every cast.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The explanation I heard at one point was that you use your dominant hand/arm to do the function that requires more work. With a baitcaster the idea is that generally the work comes from reeling vs a spinning setup uses the rod to pull the fish in. Where I heard this I don't remember and it actually seems like it'd be the opposite in reality but there you go, sample size of one.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

OniPanda posted:

My favorite part about surf fishin. Just walk out into the surf and start castin. I know I'm basically a walrus, but I still laugh at people who put on full waders in SoCal to surf fish. The water ain't that cold, even in the winter.

Hey SoCal surf fisher friend, if you're near LA let's surf/rock fish somtime, need more fishing bros.

charliebravo77 posted:

The explanation I heard at one point was that you use your dominant hand/arm to do the function that requires more work. With a baitcaster the idea is that generally the work comes from reeling vs a spinning setup uses the rod to pull the fish in. Where I heard this I don't remember and it actually seems like it'd be the opposite in reality but there you go, sample size of one.

I'm that weirdo that flips the handles on my spinning reels to reel with my right hand. Started on baitcasters as a youngster and the left hand reel just feels unnatural :(

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Hey SoCal surf fisher friend, if you're near LA let's surf/rock fish somtime, need more fishing bros.

I'm that weirdo that flips the handles on my spinning reels to reel with my right hand. Started on baitcasters as a youngster and the left hand reel just feels unnatural :(

But do you cast your spinning reel right- handed and then transfer it to your left hand?

The one that gets me is all the campers that show up at the park in the summer. They always have the rod upside down for some reason

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

titties posted:

But do you cast your spinning reel right- handed and then transfer it to your left hand?

The one that gets me is all the campers that show up at the park in the summer. They always have the rod upside down for some reason

Yep, cast it right handed (sidearm usually, if space allows), then transfer to left and reel with right. Not so much transfer as grab with the left, holding with both while moving my right from the rod to the reel, I dunno, just muscle memory at this point. The upside-down spinner always makes me wonder.. it's gotta be so heavy up top that it must not make sense, right...?

If I'm fishing ocean shore with a big spinner I'll overhead cast it with both hands and it's less fuss in that situation.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 26, 2021

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I've also seen people use conventional reels upside down.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Ye, Torrance. I've not been successful at surf fish but it's still fun and one day I'll crack the code! I go decently often, so let's hit it. I usually go to Redondo Beach, but I work in El Segundo, so also hit the area around Porto and Dockwiler. I'm usually goin out of San Pedro for rockfish.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

OniPanda posted:

Ye, Torrance. I've not been successful at surf fish but it's still fun and one day I'll crack the code! I go decently often, so let's hit it. I usually go to Redondo Beach, but I work in El Segundo, so also hit the area around Porto and Dockwiler. I'm usually goin out of San Pedro for rockfish.

Sweet, I live in El Segundo, usually I go down to marina del rey and fish the jetties/harbor, I've not actually surf fished at porto/dockweiler. I'll shoot you a PM!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I use to do surf fishing in Santa Cruz until I learned the magic of poke poling in the jetties. The rocks hold bigger fish that you’d think. Cabezon and gopher rockfish love holes and if the bull kelp is close enough pitching rubber jigs at them can produce grass rockfish. Also if you hang a chicken leg on rope maybe in a foot of water on the rocks you can snag crabs coming in to investigate.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Crab Dad posted:

I use to do surf fishing in Santa Cruz until I learned the magic of poke poling in the jetties. The rocks hold bigger fish that you’d think. Cabezon and gopher rockfish love holes and if the bull kelp is close enough pitching rubber jigs at them can produce grass rockfish. Also if you hang a chicken leg on rope maybe in a foot of water on the rocks you can snag crabs coming in to investigate.

I accidentally caught the biggest lobster I've ever seen on hook/squid off some rocks in Malibu, much to the chagrin of the other folks there I put it back as I had no lobster report card. Love fishing near rocks/jetties.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
loaded the reel up with that 15 lb braided i got, with idk 100-150 yards of 10lb mono backer. Think i did it right? drat that stuff is thin!

Anyways, bought my sunscreen, officially have everything i need to go out tomorrow and saturday.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

So I've been trying to get my technique down with the topwater walking lures and I haven't had much luck....until today when I got blown up twice with a Heddon Super Spook Jr in bone.

Holy poo poo!

It's so much better!

So I'm putting together a little order and I think the little minnows in my ponds in the neighborhood are predominantly black so I'd like to order the Zara Spook in Black Shore Minnow but what other patterns should I look for? Are feathered lures more effective?

Also, my fishing buddy has started to gear up for surf fishing and I'm really jacked for getting back into chasing some big redfish piggies again, but I'd like to do some active fishing with lures. Any recommendations for pencil poppers for SC? I've never had much luck with hard baits in the surf but i'd like to fish a bit more actively.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

So I've been trying to get my technique down with the topwater walking lures and I haven't had much luck....until today when I got blown up twice with a Heddon Super Spook Jr in bone.

Holy poo poo!

It's so much better!

So I'm putting together a little order and I think the little minnows in my ponds in the neighborhood are predominantly black so I'd like to order the Zara Spook in Black Shore Minnow but what other patterns should I look for? Are feathered lures more effective?
It's largemouth bass, so who the gently caress knows. They're either notoriously finnicky or will hit anything. Just keep experimenting until you find something that works and be ready to change constantly until you find a retrieve/pattern/size combo that works.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:same:

Having to transfer hands after casting with a spinning rod has never once been a problem, and I'm already used to the "correct" way to use a conventional/baitcaster reel. If it seems like it's needlessly contradictory, you are completely correct.

The earlier skating analogy of regular vs goofy foot is apt: the correct way to do it is the way that feels natural to you. If someone gives you poo poo for doing anything except having the reel upside down, tell them to go gently caress themselves.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The earlier skating analogy of regular vs goofy foot is apt: the correct way to do it is the way that feels natural to you. If someone gives you poo poo for doing anything except having the reel upside down, tell them to go gently caress themselves.

I even skate like a doofus, double regular (mongol?). I don't think there was any intention of saying it's wrong or whatever, but I wholeheartedly agree with you on the 'what feels best' method. But in this case, whatever catches fish!

On another note, I've made some plans to head up to the sierras with my pops the weekend of the 18th, I'm hoping to be able to post some pics of sweet dickspoon trout action :)

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 28, 2021

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I even skate like a doofus, double regular (mongol?). I don't think there was any intention of saying it's wrong or whatever, but I wholeheartedly agree with you on the 'what feels best' method. But in this case, whatever catches fish!

On another note, I've made some plans to head up to the sierras with my pops the weekend of the 18th, I'm hoping to be able to post some pics of sweet dickspoon trout action :)

Good luck! I was up above Yosemite last week on the Stanislaus river and the fishing was excellent due to there being nobody up there to catch all the fish they were stocking, most likely from school starting and the horrible smoke that made it hard to breathe. There would be like 10-15 trout just stacked in a little hole in some spots.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

joem83 posted:

Good luck! I was up above Yosemite last week on the Stanislaus river and the fishing was excellent due to there being nobody up there to catch all the fish they were stocking, most likely from school starting and the horrible smoke that made it hard to breathe. There would be like 10-15 trout just stacked in a little hole in some spots.

Thanks! That sounds amazing. We'll be just above Bishop, uncle lives in town so we're staying with him. Last time we were up in August of 2019 we fished North Lake on a rented boat, the 5 of us limited out in under an hour. Was absolutely bonkers.

I think we're going to focus on the Owens River and Bishop Creek this time, but if we don't catch we'll probably go up to the intakes where planters are plentiful.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I even skate like a doofus, double regular (mongol?).

Pushin mongo is definitely not regular :p. I didn't even know that was a thing, I never saw anyone mongo when I was big into skating in the 90s. Every time I try it, I almost faceplant.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

OniPanda posted:

Pushin mongo is definitely not regular :p. I didn't even know that was a thing, I never saw anyone mongo when I was big into skating in the 90s. Every time I try it, I almost faceplant.

Makes snowboarding interesting as well, having my back foot out like a normal regular rider is bizarre feeling when getting off the lift since I'm so used to pushing with my left.

On a fishing note, spent a bunch of cash on tackle to refill the freshwater supply that was stolen in preparation for the upcoming sierra trip, color me excited!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anyone ever trolled crappie in a boat? I'd like to up my crappie game but ideally without drilling more stuff into the boat if possible.

Something like this would be ideal, especially if I could mount it in the rear seat hole somehow: https://www.amazon.com/Millennium-O...s%2C195&sr=8-14

Four lines off the stern at different depths seems pretty straightforward, then just putter around at about half a mile an hour?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

bewbies posted:

Anyone ever trolled crappie in a boat? I'd like to up my crappie game but ideally without drilling more stuff into the boat if possible.

Something like this would be ideal, especially if I could mount it in the rear seat hole somehow: https://www.amazon.com/Millennium-O...s%2C195&sr=8-14

Four lines off the stern at different depths seems pretty straightforward, then just putter around at about half a mile an hour?

Crappie suspend a lot. Not saying they can't be trolled for, but they seem hard to target that way.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
PSA: Tackle Warehouse is having their Labor Day 15% off sale this Wednesday (starting at 8 PDT) and running through Friday.
edit: I saw this posted somewhere else, but I think it was probably erroneous - haven't seen anything else about this year's sale, if there is one

If you don't need any of that bullshit then go support a goon and buy your stuff here: https://koboldsworkshop.com/

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 1, 2021

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Easychair Bootson posted:

If you don't need any of that bullshit then go support a goon and buy your stuff here: https://koboldsworkshop.com/

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Makes snowboarding interesting as well, having my back foot out like a normal regular rider is bizarre feeling when getting off the lift since I'm so used to pushing with my left.

On a fishing note, spent a bunch of cash on tackle to refill the freshwater supply that was stolen in preparation for the upcoming sierra trip, color me excited!

Looks like they're closing a lot of the national forests, make sure your spot is open!

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

joem83 posted:

Looks like they're closing a lot of the national forests, make sure your spot is open!

Yeah, looks like maybe defer pass again :|

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Labor Day trip to Smith Mountain Lake. Guess I need to go to the tackle shop and get some new gear. Sigh. If I must.

Haven't been fishing but once this year.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Woodpile posted:

Labor Day trip to Smith Mountain Lake. Guess I need to go to the tackle shop and get some new gear. Sigh. If I must.

Haven't been fishing but once this year.

this reads like an entry from grandpa's journal in the 40s

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Ghostnuke posted:

this reads like an entry from grandpa's journal in the 40s

What? Type in all caps so I can hear you, sonny.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Woodpile posted:

What? Type in all caps so I can hear you, sonny.

CAN I HAVE SOME WHISKEY ON THE BOAT LATER?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

CAN I HAVE SOME WHISKEY ON THE BOAT LATER?

If you want to play Yahtzee I'm down with that.

Need some egg sinkers, two rods and two spinning reels (there will be additional children). Circle hooks. Garlic powder. Etc. It's like Christmas.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
TIL that you CAN actually catch fish trolling a crankbait behind a canoe. Also learned that if I'm going to fish something with treble hooks I better have a net or some lip grips handy, and that I should pay more attention to the condition of the terminal end of my line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ihop posted:

TIL that you CAN actually catch fish trolling a crankbait behind a canoe. Also learned that if I'm going to fish something with treble hooks I better have a net or some lip grips handy, and that I should pay more attention to the condition of the terminal end of my line.

yeah trebles suck for anything you intend to let live imo, i basically always replace them with single hooks. i'm not even really sure it's resulted in less fish caught, it never really seems to be a thing where the fish strikes but doesn't hook up for something like a crankbait or spinner