Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah I loved the divide between "Differences in opinion is the best reason to divorce!" and "But Jesus said divorce is bad!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The marriage things is seriously a minor trigger for me because I spent many years volunteering at a DV shelter and some of the stories of abuse I've heard would melt your brain so when I see people talking about how nobody should ever get divorced it's pure lunacy.

I also had a manager several jobs ago who was in an unhappy marriage and told me some details privately because we had a good personal and working relationship. She worked out of state but flew in quarterly and we would all go out for dinner. I was car pooling with another co-worker who also knew about my manager's troubles and they kept insisting to me during our car ride that my manager should stay married and try to make it work and a bunch of other dumb poo poo that made no sense. I calmly asked her a bunch of questions like "why should someone be forced to stay in an unhappy situation?" and "have you considered that she's already tried to make it work and that there are things outside her control?" and they never had a solid answer for any of them. It was always just vague nonsense about how bad marriages are nobody's fault and couples should just work harder to stay together and no reason was given other than that.

Just pure lunacy.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

duck monster posted:

Back in 2001 I was one of the crew that launched Indymedia in australia and we where spiral eyed convinced a free non-moderated platform for self publishing would finally set people free to challenge capitalism and media hegemony by letting the truth run free. So sure of it we where , the original perth site would let you edit other peoples posts (for "fact checking").

Holy poo poo was I wrong. Within 6 months the neo-nazis found it and started death threating everyone, then the conspiracy theorists turned up, and they where *worse*, because when you slapped their posts down they'd start doxxing people and one guy even came to an editors house to fight him.

Yeah, I've gone from "Internet will save the world" to "The internet is going to kill us all". Frankly I wouldnt lose too much sleep if the whole loving thing was shut down somehow)

Microsoft's chat AI went full nazi after 30 hours on the internet.

Ultron decided humanity needed to be destroyed after 5 minutes on it.

The internet is gonna kill us, either via human or robotic overlord means.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It is not a vaccine it's experimental gene therapy mixed with evil Bill Gates 5G-activated mind control quantum dot microchips, and everyone who gets jabbed will drop dead in 3 months six months 2 years to fulfill the UN Agenda 21 population control program. Your husband is giving you white genocide in a syringe! But as a Christian woman it is your duty to honor and obey your husband and submit to his authority in all things.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OAquinas posted:

Microsoft's chat AI went full nazi after 30 hours on the internet.

Ultron decided humanity needed to be destroyed after 5 minutes on it.

The internet is gonna kill us, either via human or robotic overlord means.

Wasn't it not just garden-tier "of course I hate nazis but," even, just full on "hello bot" "SIEG HEIL"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It did attract 8chan within seconds of going live, yes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wasn't it not just garden-tier "of course I hate nazis but," even, just full on "hello bot" "SIEG HEIL"

Also 4channers caught wind of the experiment and fed it Nazi poo poo en masse deliberately.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Elephant Ambush posted:

The marriage things is seriously a minor trigger for me because I spent many years volunteering at a DV shelter and some of the stories of abuse I've heard would melt your brain so when I see people talking about how nobody should ever get divorced it's pure lunacy.

I also had a manager several jobs ago who was in an unhappy marriage and told me some details privately because we had a good personal and working relationship. She worked out of state but flew in quarterly and we would all go out for dinner. I was car pooling with another co-worker who also knew about my manager's troubles and they kept insisting to me during our car ride that my manager should stay married and try to make it work and a bunch of other dumb poo poo that made no sense. I calmly asked her a bunch of questions like "why should someone be forced to stay in an unhappy situation?" and "have you considered that she's already tried to make it work and that there are things outside her control?" and they never had a solid answer for any of them. It was always just vague nonsense about how bad marriages are nobody's fault and couples should just work harder to stay together and no reason was given other than that.

Just pure lunacy.

When I was 8 I was waiting in my parents' room with my dad while he got ready for work and we got a phone call at 7:00 am. It was a co-worker of my dad's who told him that her husband beat the poo poo out of her the night before and she asked him what she should do. Dad told her to call the cops immediately and said she should call him back when they got there.

I don't remember how that all ended, but I remember dad telling me, "Sometimes people will ask you for permission to do what they already know they need to do." It's true and it really stuck with me. Sometimes just a little bit of support is what makes the difference.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

For being a "totally not political thing" there seems to be quite a large swath of right leaning voters getting hospitalized.
I don't see why they don't accept it as a patriotic duty given that Washington vaccinated his troops from smallpox

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Freep HAS to have had a number of roni deaths among its members by now. Have any been acknowledged, or at least argued over?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Captain Log posted:

I think the social aspect of the internet has literally broken America.

I graduated university in 2006 from a small liberal arts school. The degree didn't help me ever get a job, or give me specialized knowledge I ever needed in my career. But, I felt like the really loving rigorous standards of logic, research, science, and reasoning where something everyone should learn at some point in their life. I thought the experience of getting my degree was insanely valuable, but shouldn't be gated behind lots of cash and/or crippling debt.

I always believed the internet would create an egalitarian society. Everyone would be able to go out and learn to their heart's content while sharpening up their abilities to suss out bullshit. For a couple of years in the late 00's, I thought my prediction was coming true.

Sweet Jesus H. Tap-dancing Christ, I could not have been more disastrously incorrect. Hearing these loving people try to slap enough neurons in their head together to form a cogent sentence about logical fallacies is actively making me stupider. And the world worse.

You underestimate the stupidity of the average American. The same people that voted overwhelmingly for Reagan twice hoping for the big payout rather than reading the wall and half of which bitched about fiscal responsibility while approving spending millions to oust a popular president that gave them what they "wanted"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Zeroisanumber posted:

When I was 8 I was waiting in my parents' room with my dad while he got ready for work and we got a phone call at 7:00 am. It was a co-worker of my dad's who told him that her husband beat the poo poo out of her the night before and she asked him what she should do. Dad told her to call the cops immediately and said she should call him back when they got there.

I don't remember how that all ended, but I remember dad telling me, "Sometimes people will ask you for permission to do what they already know they need to do." It's true and it really stuck with me. Sometimes just a little bit of support is what makes the difference.

To some degree, the concept of having your spouse beat the poo poo out of you doesn't make any sense, and you probably end up there by having someone gaslight you, so to me it makes perfect sense that when you end up at some point like that you want a reality check.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Neito posted:

My brain's still making little "Krrrzt Krrrzt" comic book broken machine noises at "You're citing the wrong kind of doctor so its an appeal to authority, but only when you make the argument".

Eh, I rather like the outrageous claims and when asked to back it up "do your own research" or "I'll provide it when you meet "X" criteria" that they keep moving goalposts on while others of their like minded moron squad praise them for being witty and educated

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Bremen posted:

I've got to admit I laughed (and then sighed) at how Freep has a break down over this - She doesn't want the vaccine and is angry other people disagree about it being dangerous, that's good! But she's a woman with opinions that wants to divorce her husband, that's bad! And you can see the dividing line of which one posters think is more important.

Yeah I found this really funny too. Two lines of freeper insanity were accelerated into each other and now that thread is like a bunch of momentary particles we can analyze before it all gets zotted by time and jimbob

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

waydownLo posted:

Yeah I found this really funny too. Two lines of freeper insanity were accelerated into each other and now that thread is like a bunch of momentary particles we can analyze before it all gets zotted by time and jimbob

They deal in a a lot of absolutes. You must be a good Christian etc.. and absolutes don't allow for a lot of compromise. The vaccine is totally horribly bad. But disobeying your partner in chris is also totally horribly bad.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You just need to pray hard enough for God to show your husband the truth about vaccines, if he doesn't it's your fault for not being holy enough and god is punishing you for it so suck it up

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

VitalSigns posted:

You just need to pray hard enough for God to show your husband the truth about vaccines, if he doesn't it's your fault for not being holy enough and god is punishing you for it so suck it up

This is almost word for word what they told Josh Duggar's wife when his many many sex crimes started to come to light :v:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zeroisanumber posted:

A good dad.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I still want to know what in the ever loving gently caress gets comments removed by a mod on Freep.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Captain Log posted:

I still want to know what in the ever loving gently caress gets comments removed by a mod on Freep.

Anything that promotes the ideals of Christ in a "Democrats are satan" thread.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

But disobeying your partner in chris is also totally horribly bad.

Jesus is seeing someone else????????

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Captain Log posted:

it used to be going too far but lazmataz remains around despite "joking" about doing a genocide on hispanic people so i don't know what going too far is now

besides trying to point out that jimrob is running an obvious scam and running a website like freep costs barely anything. SA is (somewhat) more complicated and trafficked than freep and it's <$1k/month to run per jeff when he was showing everyone that even at the lowest point SA was running a profit and lowtax was full of poo poo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol that the freepathons are just ongoing now instead of occasional things.

Not that we can judge that much, we spent like a decade taking Lowtax at his word when really we were just keeping him in pills, Franzia, and cookies

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

I would like to see a reality show where 8 freep mods and 8 SA mods live in a house together and 2 get voted out each week.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

pthighs posted:

I would like to see a reality show where 8 freep mods and 8 SA mods live in a house together and 2 get voted out each week.

I’d have a hard time choosing sides.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Besides jimrob and presumably his son do we even know who the moderators are? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it come up and I’ve been following this thread for much too long.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Captain Log posted:

I think the threshold has been lowered to personal death threats nowadays. I used to assume that general calls to violence were also removal-worry, but that seems to have gone by the wayside, especially after January 6th. Just yesterday I saw someone advocate for "a short hunting season on queers", and that comment is still up today.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Wait a second, is Freep pay to play?

I refuse to click around and find out for myself. Predictive advertising is enough of a problem, even with a VPN, that I don't need my computer thinking I'm a Proud Boy.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Captain Log posted:

Wait a second, is Freep pay to play?

I refuse to click around and find out for myself. Predictive advertising is enough of a problem, even with a VPN, that I don't need my computer thinking I'm a Proud Boy.

No, but the site owner runs a constant donation drive. How else can he afford the six figures it takes each year to keep it running and protected from constant hacking by antifa?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah they encourage users to authorize auto recurring donations so the owner can turn angry geezers' social security checks into dinners at Olive Garden and sinecures for his kids, but it's not required to post.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Captain Log posted:

To be fair moderation on SA is pretty random and or capricious.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

For real.

You can't even talk about all the cool stuff you want to do in Minecraft around here wtf

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Freep:

quote:

Horse paste is the way and the Truth and the Light, no one comes off the ventilator, except through Me. (Invermectin 14:88)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I don't know if I want this to be real or fake.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
In Arkansas, a prison doctor gave inmates horse paste rather than actual meds for Covid.

Without telling them.

:stare:

Ironically, this type of bullshit is why a lot of folks don't trust the vaccine.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/02/1033586429/anti-parasite-drug-covid-19-ivermectin-washington-county-arkansas

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How did this Ivermactin thing even get started? Is there even a single study (no matter how trash) that shows any efficacy in treating Covid?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe there was one unreviewed and probably made up study that got put out saying "uhh we think maybe there might be something" and then they jumped on it.

Honestly very reminiscent of the whole vaccines cause autism thing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

How did this Ivermactin thing even get started? Is there even a single study (no matter how trash) that shows any efficacy in treating Covid?

Yes

Flawed ivermectin preprint highlights challenges of COVID drug studies

quote:

“I was shocked, as everyone in the scientific community probably were,” says Eduardo López-Medina, a paediatrician at the Centre for the Study of Paediatric Infections in Cali, Colombia, who was not involved with the study and who has investigated whether ivermectin can improve COVID-19 symptoms. “It was one of the first papers that led everyone to get into the idea ivermectin worked” in a clinical-trial setting, he adds.

The paper summarized the results of a clinical trial seeming to show that ivermectin can reduce COVID-19 death rates by more than 90% — among the largest studies of the drug’s ability to treat COVID-19 to date. But on 14 July, after internet sleuths raised concerns about plagiarism and data manipulation, the preprint server Research Square withdrew the paper because of “ethical concerns”.
The paper’s irregularities came to light when Jack Lawrence, a master’s student at the University of London, was reading it for a class assignment and noticed that some phrases were identical to those in other published work. When he contacted researchers who specialize in detecting fraud in scientific publications, the group found other causes for concern, including dozens of patient records that seemed to be duplicates, inconsistencies between the raw data and the information in the paper, patients whose records indicate they died before the study’s start date, and numbers that seemed to be too consistent to have occurred by chance.
Before its withdrawal, the paper was viewed more than 150,000 times, cited more than 30 times and included in a number of meta-analyses that collect trial findings into a single, statistically weighted result. In one recent meta-analysis in the American Journal of Therapeutics that found ivermectin greatly reduced COVID-19 deaths, the Elgazzar paper accounted for 15.5% of the effect.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I can at least understand vaccine hesitancy in immigrants and POC. gently caress me, we did the Tuskegee experiments and a million other war crimes to those folks. I understand why they give anything the government says serious side eye.

But I'm pretty loving sure the majority of the anti-vaxx assholes are white bread motherfuckers who "Did the research."

That whole dosing prisoners with horse drugs thing should be headline news. Isn't that a warcrime level offense?

(But it's prisoners in America, so absolutely nobody will give two shits.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I believe there was one unreviewed and probably made up study that got put out saying "uhh we think maybe there might be something" and then they jumped on it.

Honestly very reminiscent of the whole vaccines cause autism thing.

It was nearly an exact replay of the whole hydroxychloroquine mess: a preprint of a study goes up showing a big impact when used on COVID patients, people start noticing problems with the study that suggest it is some combination of shoddy/plagiarized/forged, and the preprint eventually gets pulled - but only after right-wing grifters and conspiracy theorists have latched onto it as a possible miracle cure and started talking about it on social media. Those grifters/nutballs then argue that the withdrawal of the study was part of a cover-up to prevent you from learning about the miracle cure, and any further studies that happen to refute the original claim are just dismissed as parts of the cover-up conspiracy.