Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

He’s temporarily become a teenager again and his parents know about it

Is Ran still clueless even after all this time or did he finally come clean with her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Ran occasionally comes close to Getting A Clue about the situation but Shinichi gaslights her to ensure she never figures it out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Archer666 posted:

Out of all the Konami things that won't get made, that one super won't get made, due to it being one of Kojima's games.

I want it too

I mean MG Survive exists

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Two questions: 1.) has a defined amount of time passed in-universe since Conan started? 2.) Has he made one single solitary iota of progress in that time?

there was some fairly significant progress a few years ago

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Dragon Ball Super just got lifted from Argentinian TV on behest of the Ministry of Gender because Roshi is too much of a pervy old man lmao I don't mind that but I do mind that they've suggested editing the episode to remove the offending bits, I find that to be pretty pointless and an unwelcome throwback to the 90s

Azran fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 1, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's a Ministry of Gender?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Azran posted:

Dragon Ball Super just got lifted from Argentinian TV on behest of the Ministry of Gender because Roshi is too much of a pervy old man lmao I don't mind that but I do mind that they've suggested editing the episode to remove the offending bits, I find that to be pretty pointless and an unwelcome throwback to the 90s

They should instead just remove his ToP episode, and Tiens, because they suck!!!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Waffleman_ posted:

There's a Ministry of Gender?

Yup, the full name is Ministry of Women, Gender Policy and Sexual Diversity. Its current iteration is about two years old (there were previous entities that more or less fulfilled a similar role) and it exists because gendered violence against women and LGBTQ+ people is a major issue here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Willo567 posted:

If you play SRW X (Gurren Lagann spoilers) you'll be happy to know that Nia survives
What do they say to justify it?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Captain Invictus posted:

What do they say to justify it?

Nadia uses the Blue Water to give Nia the lifespan of a human

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Willo567 posted:

Clearly the solution is that we need a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising

I want this a lot

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

standing in line at the ministry of gender to get my gender renewed

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Clearly the solution is that we need a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising

I unironically want this (preferably with as much of the same voice cast from the previous one that they can get)

Also Viridi must return as a major character, this is nonnegotiable.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 1, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

more viridi warcrimes please

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

He’s temporarily become a teenager again and his parents know about it

Endorph posted:

there was some fairly significant progress a few years ago

humu humu

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsNet/status/1432884929449316353?s=20

quote:

The guest writers include Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer, Vladlove), Masaki Tsuji (Kyojin no Hoshi, Umi no Triton), novelist Taku Ashibe (Murder in the Red Chamber), Akio Higuchi (Zone), and Kanae Minato (Confession).

The new series will center around two keywords, with "mystery" being the keyword of the "first cours" (quarter of a year). Lupin is after a treasure hidden by The Raven, a mysterious organization that manipulates the British government in the shadows. However, Sherlock Holmes appears before Lupin.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sounds like this one will be a bit more story based with few if any one-off episodes, not sure how I feel about that.

The Sherlock Holmes aspect sounds interesting though (curious how it’s going to work considering most Lupin shows take place in the same era they air in, maybe it’s a ghost or something).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sounds like a similar structure to Parts 4 and 5.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Sounds like a similar structure to Parts 4 and 5.

Those still had a few oneshots in between though, the way the description reads it sounds like the show is split into two story arcs but we’ll see how it goes.

Sounds interesting at least and I’m always down for more Lupin content.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm struggling to think of any time anime has done a Sherlock Holmes adaptation well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Strange Quark posted:

I'm struggling to think of any time anime has done a Sherlock Holmes adaptation well.

Death Note

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Great Ace Attorney is honorary anime

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Strange Quark posted:

Hyouka.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sherlock hound

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I assume the guy between Jigen and Goemon with the little girl is a new character exclusive to this season

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

milky holmes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the non-TWCFM serial stuff in lupin has so far sucked, so yeah depending how far it goes in on that it likely ends up bad like 5

maybe different writers can handle it but idk. it's not a complex formula you really need to be reinventing but that seems to be a fixation

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Seeing Oshii on Lupin after Vlad love and liking the last few TV series has tempered my expectations

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There was supposed to be an Oshii directed Lupin movie once iirc and the plans fell through

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dogsicle posted:

the non-TWCFM serial stuff in lupin has so far sucked, so yeah depending how far it goes in on that it likely ends up bad like 5

maybe different writers can handle it but idk. it's not a complex formula you really need to be reinventing but that seems to be a fixation

I’d honestly kind of like to see a season one day that’s more like the old days (just a bunch of random capers with little if any connecting story attached to it), that’s what Lupin seems to be best at in my opinion anyway (though I didn’t hate Part 5 as much as I was expecting to)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 1, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Strange Quark posted:

sherl

dang, beaten again

Endorph posted:

sherlock hound

:same:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Actually what about Umineko?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Umineko is absolutely not Sherlock Holmes

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
No but as I get across with my Hyouka suggestion earlier I think there exists anime that end up as being better adaptions of the spirit of Sherlock Holmes stories by not actually adapting the stories than the actual adaptions themselves. Umineko (its been a while so I only have a vague recollection) has a lot of focus on the truth of statements, and evidence and so on which I think is pretty in keeping with the spirit of Sherlock Holmes and the mystery genre.

Vs some anime which just have the characters wearing the outfit going on an adventure and there isn't really much of an actual mystery challenging to the viewer to try to solve it themselves.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Larryb posted:

Sounds like this one will be a bit more story based with few if any one-off episodes, not sure how I feel about that.

The Sherlock Holmes aspect sounds interesting though (curious how it’s going to work considering most Lupin shows take place in the same era they air in, maybe it’s a ghost or something).

Columbo's son Bolonco appears in an episode of Lupin so they'll probably do something like that

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I haven't seen much Lupin; how closely does it actually regard Maurice Leblanc Arsène Lupin stories as "canon"? because Arsène Lupin versus Sherlock Holmes was a big enough thing there's a book in the originals called Arsène Lupin versus Sherlock Holmes. Even if they play loose with the "canon", its existence means Lupin inherently has a Holmes connection built-in

Also when Arthur Conan Doyle complained Leblanc was using Holmes illegally it got changed to "Herlock Sholmes", which is where The Great Ace Attorney localization got that name

e: the easiest way to do it would probably just be to make Holmes into Holmes the 3rd the same way Lupin is Lupin the 3rd tbh

e2: I somehow missed this being mentioned in the article

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 1, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DoubleDonut posted:

Columbo's son Bolonco appears in an episode of Lupin so they'll probably do something like that

I'd watch anime Columbo. Or Murder, She Wrote.

"Just one more thing..."

*pushes up glasses*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theyve had holmes vs lupin a few times in lupin the 3rd. since lupin is the grandson of the original lupin, some stories have the holmes be holmes the 3rd, and there's an implied family rivalry. that said im pretty sure theres at least one that doesnt bother with that and just has it be actual sherlock holmes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly id be way more into them bringing back bolonco than bringing holmes in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

No but as I get across with my Hyouka suggestion earlier I think there exists anime that end up as being better adaptions of the spirit of Sherlock Holmes stories by not actually adapting the stories than the actual adaptions themselves. Umineko (its been a while so I only have a vague recollection) has a lot of focus on the truth of statements, and evidence and so on which I think is pretty in keeping with the spirit of Sherlock Holmes and the mystery genre.

Vs some anime which just have the characters wearing the outfit going on an adventure and there isn't really much of an actual mystery challenging to the viewer to try to solve it themselves.

so what you're saying is umineko is a great adaptation of sherlock holmes because one is a mystery and the other is a mystery