Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Little Nightmares 2
  • The puzzles in this game aren't too brain busting or mechanically demanding, but it does sometimes miss on communicating critical information. If you get stuck more than a few minutes, I wouldn't be too shy about having a walkthrough readily available. YMMV, but once an area flipped to being more frustrating than scary for me, it was better to look it up and move on than stick it out and get even more annoyed when it turned out to be something dumb.

• Some particular problem spots I got stuck way too long at and may be worth knowing ahead of time:

• There's actually 2 running speeds, one when the run starts and full speed after running a little more than one body length. The difference is subtle and mostly negligible, but it does have a big impact on horizontal jump length. There's a couple of these jumps in the first chapter, but there's specifically one at the start of chapter 2 where you're jumping from a small platform and therefore need to know to give yourself running room otherwise it just looks impossible.

• There's a simple mechanics teaching puzzle at start of chapter 3 where you move a fuse from one power box to the other. You need to hold the grab button while you're a small ways away from the fuse then walk up to it to pull it out. If you press the grab button while already standing next to it, it doesn't seem to register that you can interact with it.

• A ways into chapter 3 is an enemy that freezes when the flashlight is shined on them. On controllers, the right control stick has 2 control modes, normal mode will tilt the flashlight vertically such that pressing up will point it at the ceiling and there's a chase mode that keeps it horizontal so pressing up aims it toward the background instead. The first room where you run into these enemies uses the first control scheme and seems intended for you to just run by through without relying heavily on the flashlight, it's in a later room where there's a lot more of them that it swaps to the second control scheme and expects you to use the mechanic. I've also seen some references online to clicking the right control stick or pressing R to enable a lock on enemies mode, but it's not something I've tried or needed to get through the section.

• When you're sneaking around the chapter 3 boss in the cadaver room, linger around the vent on the left wall and your partner will give you a boost. This can technically also apply to any vent that's not obviously accessible via a ladder or platform, but it was only an issue for this particular room where the partner can fall behind since they're sneaking around and the vent looks too high to boost to when it actually isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kuros posted:

One of the main things while playing is figuring out how a class wants to operate and going with it. For example, the Wyrdhunter wants to hit hard and fast, so you will want to build your deck towards that goal. Since his ult scales with how many hits you do, using cards like Small Strikes is really useful for that particular class. Eventually you will want to stop taking cards and actively remove cards from your deck. For example, you can get rid of a basic attack once you get some better options in your deck.

Also pay attention to what runes you use and for what class. For example, Gar is great for the Wyrdhunter as it builds his ult and also applies stacks towards Vulnerable, but it's not as good for other classes.

Stun is very powerful as is Duplication. Knowing when to time these effects and on which cards will make a lot of difference.

Goddamn it I just figured this one out and yeah it changes the Wyrdhunter from "wrecks shop" to "wrecks shop without even trying."

Take note of what town upgrades are cheap and what town upgrades are expensive, and buy the cheap ones first. Runestones are extremely powerful, but you need to boost the drop rate to get enough of them to start getting the currency that you use to get the rest of them.

While you're still early in a run, remember that you can sometimes (often) sneak around the backs of enemies and pick up their rewards without fighting them first. This is good and should be encouraged, but killing enemies is also good.

The level cap is 20, there are milestone upgrades at levels 10 and 20, and grinding to hit those levels is extremely effective. Blast your candles bright and pick off easy enemies.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I know it's only just out but I'm sure some of you are already playing it and have a better understanding of these games than I do, so, anything I should know about Humankind that isn't obvious?

I've dipped my toes in these last couple of days but never made it past the classical age but I've got 2 days off and I want to do a real run now. I've played civ 5 and 6 (and even finished a couple of runs in those) so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the genre, but I don't want to play all day tomorrow only to realise I've fallen into a trap and have to start over the next day and not actually win or lose a game, you know?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Taeke posted:

I know it's only just out but I'm sure some of you are already playing it and have a better understanding of these games than I do, so, anything I should know about Humankind that isn't obvious?

I've dipped my toes in these last couple of days but never made it past the classical age but I've got 2 days off and I want to do a real run now. I've played civ 5 and 6 (and even finished a couple of runs in those) so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the genre, but I don't want to play all day tomorrow only to realise I've fallen into a trap and have to start over the next day and not actually win or lose a game, you know?

- Change your culture every era to take advantage of the increasingly powerful perks and buildings/units. The perk you see at the top of the culture's description stays with you the whole game. Just make sure you build the iconic building in your cities before you switch.

- Unlike Civ the majority of the way you are going to get resources is by claiming preset territory with outposts and then linking those outposts to your cities. This will also allow you to build districts in the area covered by the outpost.

- Shared constructions are shared for a reason, you can split the work of building religious sites and wonders between cities and get them up very fast.

- To take down a outpost or city you should ransack it with an army, which will clear its tile.

- You can take down other players' outposts without a declared war so long as they are not linked to a city (dashed border line rather than solid is unlinked). This will of course make them hate you.

- 80 war enthusiasm is the breaking point for a formal war, keep your enemies under this and you will be safe. They rarely declare surprise wars, at least so far as Very Hard difficulty.

- To force a formal war, go to the grievances menu and push for one they won't accept. This will give you a ticking increase in war enthusiasm that will eventually hit the required mark. If you don't have a grievance then push for an extreme diplomatic tie and then make their refusal your grievance.

- Don't expect too much out of a single war. You'll probably gain a couple cities, but you won't be able to wipe out an enemy entirely unless you go to war with them several times, because you buy spoils with points during the peace talks and you'll end up handing back over most of what you take, even if you annihilate them. This can work in your favor too, though, if you lose the war.

- In battle, take advantage of terrain, especially once you start getting into the gunpowder age. Guns can't shoot through your own units if you have two rows of them, but if they are on different elevations then you are fine.

- Alliances are more for economic ties, and should be considered just an extreme nonaggression pact. Don't expect them to come to your aid in a war, but also don't be afraid to ally yourself with everyone you can.

- City stability doesn't really start becoming a problem until below 50%, but still be careful not to queue up too many districts at once.

- Don't neglect non-district improvements, especially the ones that increase the output of workers in the districts. Why build one more farm for +4 food when you can make the improvment that gives the six you already have +2 food.

- It is sometimes cheaper to buyout a neutral citystate than it is to raise your own.

- Cavalry can't go over city walls. Bear that in mind if your neighbor goes for Huns.

- Don't give up if you start falling behind. Every game I have won has started with me being in fifth place in score, and then exploding upwards when I got to the higher technology tiers.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 23, 2021

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I’ve started my first run of Streets of Rogue.

Any tips on good meta upgrades to beeline for?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Taeke posted:

No matter how the game ends, highest Fame is the winning condition, and the progress stars each era are one of main ways to earn it.

When you earn enough stars to switch to a new era, consider checking to see if you're close to earning any additional stars for your current era to milk for easy Fame points instead of immediately moving on to the next - as long as potentially not getting a specific culture won't cripple your plans.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 24, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I fell off the gacha wagon again.

Fire Emblem: Heroes?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
For anybody that was looking at Bomber Crew because of the recent pages of this thread, it just dropped to 3 bux on steam.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A very specific tip for Judgment: For the batting cage minigame, the pattern of pitches for each course (both home run and challenge course) is pre-scripted and will be exactly the same every time. So if you're struggling with it but still want the clear, you can just write down the pattern (or look up a guide, probably) and know exactly where every pitch is going to land ahead of time. I think it's worth doing, because you'll unlock a new friend after you clear all of them.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Ainsley McTree posted:

A very specific tip for Judgment: For the batting cage minigame

I believe this is also the case for the other Yakuza games using the same engine: 6, Kiwami 2, 7/Like a Dragon.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Psychonauts 2
- Wait until post-game to go back and clean up collectibles. The last ability you get in the game lets you get collectibles that are behind barriers with gaps in them and you get it so late that you can't even return to some areas until you finish the game first, so you'd have to wait until then anyway.
- If you care about achievements, save your money first for the wallet upgrades and buy the pins that double money drops and give money from making mental connections when they're available. There's an achievement for filling the entire wallet which can take some time if you're spending a lot during the main game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Some other things for Psychonauts 2;

Get the Levitation jump upgrade and the Mental Connections Dark Thoughts upgrades ASAP as they're pretty important for getting around to snag collectables.

The Psi Blast upgrade that chains off secondary targets is also well worth getting early, as it makes cleaning up the tiny Censors and Regrets much more easier.

The game never tells you this, but the Psi Blast's charge upgrade can blast open the collapsed cave entrances in the Questionable Area.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is there anything I need to know about the first Psychonauts game? I played it at release but genuinely can't remember the gameplay, just the cool settings. The wiki only has one tip, so wasn't sure if there's anything else to be aware of.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is there anything I need to know about the first Psychonauts game? I played it at release but genuinely can't remember the gameplay, just the cool settings. The wiki only has one tip, so wasn't sure if there's anything else to be aware of.
Off the top of my head:

- The PC version on Steam has had QOL updates from the original releases (thanks to Double Fine getting the rights back) which includes making the infamous final level a bit easier.
- You want to get the dowsing rod, then the web vacuum from the shop before anything else. The former makes getting money much quicker, while the latter helps completion.
- When you're in post-game collectibles cleanup, there's a glitch used in speedruns that lets you infinitely jump, essentially and it's worth looking it up/trying it out to make things go faster.

'the writing is very good' tips:
- You can show items to people to get a response, even items you only have for a very brief amount of time, like the turtle near the end of the game.
- The characters change up what they say as the game progresses, so keep checking in.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The game never tells you this, but the Psi Blast's charge upgrade can blast open the collapsed cave entrances in the Questionable Area.

you don't need the charge upgrade, just a few regular blasts will work just fine.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Or a few punches.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

flatluigi posted:

'the writing is very good' tips:
- You can show items to people to get a response, even items you only have for a very brief amount of time, like the turtle near the end of the game.
- The characters change up what they say as the game progresses, so keep checking in.

The characters also have unique responses when you use your psychic powers on them.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So what you people are saying is that not only Psychonauts 2 is out and it's cool and good, but also there's an improved edition of the first game? Well gently caress me in the backlog.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I just picked up Death's Door and am absolutely loving it. Anyone have any suggestions?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

MussoliniB posted:

I just picked up Death's Door and am absolutely loving it. Anyone have any suggestions?
Use every plant pot even if you don't need it, you'll find enough seeds and one of the postgame challenges requires you to have planted a seed in every one of them. No, there's no map or any way to know where the ones you missed are. :shepicide:

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Use every plant pot even if you don't need it, you'll find enough seeds and one of the postgame challenges requires you to have planted a seed in every one of them. No, there's no map or any way to know where the ones you missed are. :shepicide:

I'm going to try my best, but that sounds just like something I would never do. I don't 100% games, I 45% games and move on.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Same.

100% to me is getting to the end of a game, finishing the story and enjoying it. Everything beyond that is just gravy, and I usually don't bother with collectables and stuff unless they're either an interesting challenge in and of themselves (like getting the strawberries in Celeste) or they offer extra story or worldbuilding (Horizon Zero Dawn), and even with those I never force myself just to get the achievement. I just naturally move on to a new game without even consciously quitting the former game, you know? And then at some point I need to clear up some space and I'll realise I haven't played it in weeks or months and don't feel the urge to keep it so away it goes.

I get there's a sense of pride and achievement for some people in seeing and doing everything, but that just isn't me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The only game I've ever almost 100%'d is red dead redemption 1 and i accidently wrote over my save file when i was one thing away from completion, so the part of my brain that desires these things has been burned away forever, thank god

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
100%ing games is a terrible curse I wish upon no one.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I got pretty close to destroying everything in Just Cause 2, just in terms of spending days poking around the map, but I didn't bother with the challenges. I hate dealing with vehicles in those kinds of games, especially pointless racing challenges.
Like, it wasn't to "100% the game," it was because blowing poo poo up was fun. Eventually it got to the point where I'd blown up nearly everything, and it petered out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Taeke posted:

Same.

100% to me is getting to the end of a game, finishing the story and enjoying it. Everything beyond that is just gravy, and I usually don't bother with collectables and stuff unless they're either an interesting challenge in and of themselves (like getting the strawberries in Celeste) or they offer extra story or worldbuilding (Horizon Zero Dawn), and even with those I never force myself just to get the achievement. I just naturally move on to a new game without even consciously quitting the former game, you know? And then at some point I need to clear up some space and I'll realise I haven't played it in weeks or months and don't feel the urge to keep it so away it goes.

I get there's a sense of pride and achievement for some people in seeing and doing everything, but that just isn't me.

HZD was one of the best games to 100% in a long time because literally every collectible gave more context and lore to what preceded the game. No "25 bear tokens" just to see a number go up, it felt like everything they put in had a purpose.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

theshim posted:

100%ing games is a terrible curse I wish upon no one.
I wrote this up earlier and failed to post it, so really I will just agree by saying: The greatest gift a child can receive is an early devastating experience when trying to fully experience everything a game has to offer.

I am still convinced my experience with the Atari 8-bit game Action Biker as a child is why I have basically no drive in me to do that. Weeks of trying to collect all 100 items led to me finally going on a drat TEAR and getting them all one afternoon after having previously never gotten more than like 20-30. Then when you finally collect the 100th item, you triumphantly... get a notification that the drag race starts in one minute. There had been no timer in the rest of the game, and I did not really know what that could possibly mean since I was like 8. I ran out of time just as I frantically barrelled down the in-game racetrack trying to get to the starting line and got a "game over." I still remember the sensation of trying to rip the diskette in half and telling my mother to hide it so I could never play again. That is what trying to 100% games feels like to me

pentyne posted:

HZD was one of the best games to 100% in a long time because literally every collectible gave more context and lore to what preceded the game. No "25 bear tokens" just to see a number go up, it felt like everything they put in had a purpose.
Though if you are going to do it, then this is the only way to do it. I half-heartedly tried to collect everything in Generation Zero (I think I got like 60% of them; I am definitely a "60% of 100%ing" kind of gamer) because even though there was no mechanical point to it the little stories accompanying each one were often delightful or at least nostalgic

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hell, I don't think Just Cause 2 even had a cheevo for 100%ing it, just one for 75%. They knew.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kazzah posted:

Hell, I don't think Just Cause 2 even had a cheevo for 100%ing it, just one for 75%. They knew.
More games need to do that kind of thing. Not 100% achievements, just "you have gotten everything a person should be reasonably expected to get out of this game"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I understand that many games have a 100% achievement because it gives a feeling of missing out if they don't (or that it will bring their percentage down in their player profile), so that at least some portion of the playerbase will end up with more hours in it than they would have normally, but for the most part that has never been alluring to me.

The only game in recent memory I can remember wanting to 100% is Sekiro, and I very well may end up doing that since that game is an absolute blast to play and I no longer have the kind of internet that can play online games (or really download new ones). Even that though is pretty much just get all the upgrades and all the endings.

Prior to that, the only games I can remember trying to 100% are PS1 and PS2 era sports games that had tournaments or ladders. Boxing games (Contender, Fight Night) and Red Card ate up a ton of my time trying to get to the "end". I don't know that I succeeded in truly 100%ing any of those but the Fight Night games. I won the title in Contender, but really did not want to have to re-fight the last boss in the title defense mode and re go through the entire ladder, and Red Card I just wasn't good enough when I got to the bullshit levels of playing against aliens and aztec warriors and poo poo.

So I guess its not the 100% achievements that bother me, it's when games have a bunch of tedious stuff very clearly thrown in just to expand the definition of 100%. It turns every game into a twisted version of Spyro the Dragon or other old collectathons, where you're traversing a world looking to figure out dumb poo poo to get that last item.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

girl dick energy posted:

Kazzah posted:

More games need to do that kind of thing. Not 100% achievements, just "you have gotten everything a person should be reasonably expected to get out of this game"

I liked how in Batman Arkham City, you didn't need to find every Riddler collectible trophy to finish the Riddler plot line, just like 80 or 90% of them. It was perfect - you had to do a bunch of stuff, but you could skip the ones that you truly could not figure out how to get.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

pentyne posted:

The vantage point ones were incredibly well written; I feel bad that some people I know who played didn’t realize you had to go into a menu to read the full text entries, they really missed out.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I have a really specific question on Axiom Verge but I don't see a thread for it.

I have found a location for a secret world breach in E--Kur-Mah but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to enter it. I realise they're randomised but does anyone know how to find a guide to enter this specific one? Googling and youtubing hasn't gotten me any closer.

https://imgur.com/LbjpZfd

https://imgur.com/tXKTBHp

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

The vantage point ones were incredibly well written; I feel bad that some people I know who played didn’t realize you had to go into a menu to read the full text entries, they really missed out.

I'm not gonna drag someone for not reading tutorials, but literally every time you pick up an audio note there's a giant "PRESS SELECT FOR MORE INFORMATION" warning that pops up, plus the notes/collectibles are flagged when they are unread.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

pentyne posted:

I'm not gonna drag someone for not reading tutorials, but literally every time you pick up an audio note there's a giant "PRESS SELECT FOR MORE INFORMATION" warning that pops up, plus the notes/collectibles are flagged when they are unread.

Except the first few times you do this the text is just a transcription. Although I think the message you get is different for audio/video with just a transcription versus ones with additional notes, by the time you start to run into these you've probably scanned enough data points that you're ignoring the hint text.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Kazzah posted:

Which is good because I think there was a bug in JC2 such that you couldn't get 100% even if you wanted to.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Except the first few times you do this the text is just a transcription. Although I think the message you get is different for audio/video with just a transcription versus ones with additional notes, by the time you start to run into these you've probably scanned enough data points that you're ignoring the hint text.

Yeah this is exactly what happened to me. I only realised there was a point to reading the vantage point ones when I saw someone elsewhere on the internet describe them as a short story and was very confused.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah it’s been a little since I played, but iirc it’s not immediately obvious that the text log will be longer and tell a more complete story, I think I just figured it out by chance myself. Anyway, read those vantage logs for HZD, that’s my tip

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
HZD has a lot of weird things like that. Like how there's a bunch of little tutorial challenges for most of the weapons but you have to make each one your active quest for it to count. Will be interesting to see if they iron out all the little things like that in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Any tips for Styx: Shards of Darkness?