Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Crossposting from the Oath thread! Painted some oldschool elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The sculpt is pretty bad but I had fun with it. The face on the sun is probably the best free hand I will ever do, and I think I did well on the texture on the tunic. Totally winged it on the base as makeshift marble, but I think I made the black lines on it too thick.

Also I did some work to have some kill teams made up. Had to paint some drones for it and re-base my old necrons since they were still on 25mm bases. I also painted up the necrons a looooong time ago, so I didn't really know entirely what I was doing back then. But it's fun to keep them around as a reminder of how I've progressed, and how I can still keep trying to get better.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I feel like I've asked this before but what would be a good camera to buy for taking photos of my minis? My cellphone camera does NOT like the LED lighting I have and it has black bands all across the picture.

Should I get an entry level DSLR or something (which, might as well have a nice camera for other stuff as well)? My partner is suggesting a go-pro camera but, are they like, capable of taking a single shot at a time?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Whatever you get, my suggestion would be to make sure it can sit on a tripod.

Having something to keep the camera stable while you take pictures is a godsend.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Borrow a more recent cell phone from a mate, try that. It sounds like yours is buggered. Modern phones have shockingly good cameras considering they're a phone first, camera second, they make it very hard to justify buying a proper camera unless you're serious about photography and unhappy with what you're getting out of your phone.

Go pros are all smooth action video, which they're excellent at. They can do still and timelapse photos but it's all about video without great zoom.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Whatever you get, my suggestion would be to make sure it can sit on a tripod.

Having something to keep the camera stable while you take pictures is a godsend.

Anything they can get can go on a tripod, they may need a bracket to hold a phone or adaptor for a gopro.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Played around with rust effects on a Killa Kan while I, yet again, try to rebuild my skill following a very long painting break.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I also get the black bands using my phone. I've tried diffusing the light through a few layers of tracing paper and it helped a little but they are still pretty noticeable. Are there any other tricks I could try to eliminate them while still using a phone camera? I'm pretty poo poo with photos so I don't really want to go down an expensive camera rabbit hole, but I'd like to at least get a little better.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
This is an old article, but I read the author's guide to DSLR miniature photography (from a similar vintage) and it was really good.

This is the phone camera guide:

https://taleofpainters.com/2015/02/tutorial-how-to-photograph-miniatures/

And this is the DSLR guide:

https://taleofpainters.com/2016/01/tutorial-beginners-guide-to-miniature/

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Crossposting from the Oath thread! Painted some oldschool elves.

These are wonderful. I suddenly got flashbacks as to painting each of those models as a kid. Wood elf mage, white lion, and shadow warrior. I remember really enjoying painting the cloak on the last one.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Wrr posted:

I feel like I've asked this before but what would be a good camera to buy for taking photos of my minis? My cellphone camera does NOT like the LED lighting I have and it has black bands all across the picture.

Should I get an entry level DSLR or something (which, might as well have a nice camera for other stuff as well)? My partner is suggesting a go-pro camera but, are they like, capable of taking a single shot at a time?

If the LED lighting is the problem, you might be better off just trying to screen it first. I.e get at least two lamps, so that you don't have lighting from just one angle, and put something between the lamps and the minis to diffuse the light. Basically anything that diffuses the light works, my first DIY lighting box was just a cardboard box where I cut out big windows in the sides and taped cut out squares of shower curtain to it.

Honestly, if you have access to a phone camera that is like, less than five years old, you'll probably get more results by working on the lighting than getting a new camera.¨

E: I bought a descent DSLR camera, partly for taking mini photos, but ended up using my iphone 8 for all my mini photos because it's just more convenient and I can easily adjust the photos and upload them from the phone. Instead I got a descent foldable lighting box. Fidgeting around with the photo box and different backgrounds made much bigger difference than fidgeting with the cameras.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 31, 2021

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
You might also want to try a dedicated camera app instead of the default one.

I *THINK* that banding comes from the cycle of the LED lights matching the "shutter speed" of your camera, and being able to adjust that would help prevent it.
I'm far from an expert on digital cameras, but back in my days using real actual film cameras you got that effect from cheap fluorescents and TV monitors if you were using the wrong shutter speed.

Chunkystyle
Sep 7, 2018
Here is a start of my army for a Path to Glory campaign. Still 22 skeletons and 3 vargheists to go. :toot:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Tiny robot crosspost

PoptartsNinja posted:

Vaporwave Mad Cat

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Chunkystyle posted:

Here is a start of my army for a Path to Glory campaign. Still 22 skeletons and 3 vargheists to go. :toot:

Really love these skeletons. How do I get some?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Tiny robot crosspost

Slaps big time

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

Really love these skeletons. How do I get some?

Seems like a mix of Age of Sigmar Deathrattle Skeletons and Grave Guard

(also they look great!)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

yeah great paintjob on those. Love those sculpts. I really don't want to keep feeding the vampire though ugh.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Tiny robot crosspost

fuckin SICK

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Testing background colors, and white-on-white sucks but the squad leader's got a real agitprop vibe pose.

The Stormtrooper is your FRIEND
Trust the Stormtrooper

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 1, 2021

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Wrr posted:

Something that doesn't seem to come up much is the difference in easy of use there. I've used my partner's DSLR for a few Warhammer photos, and it's a lot more time to have it up online. For most of my use of just snapping a photo when I finish painting, it's not worth the effort. I could see it being useful if I was doing something fancier than just shoving the photos here and a few other social networks. The DSLR gives me a lot more control over settings local focal depth. I'm sure I'll grab a lightbox at some point and take Nice Army Photos with it, but for now I'm mostly doing phone pictures.

DSLR process: Dig out camera, make sure battery's charged, take photo, take out SD card, upload to my PC, convert from RAW to something I can post elsewhere, shove the converted file on imgur, post here.
Phone process: My phone's already on me so pull it out of my pocket, take a photo, upload to imgur, post here.

For comparison, this two are DSLR

These are my phone's camera

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Tiny robot crosspost

My dude, I can HEAR the shoulder mounted boomboxes in those photos.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone know a good plastic to use for doing a resin pour to make a pond on one side of a base? It would have to be flexible because the base is round, and preferably pretty smooth so I don't have to polish the resin after it sets, which I've bungled in the past.

Here's a great guide but he doesn't say where he got his plastic :argh:

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2017/05/tutorial-proper-use-of-two-component.html

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'd think pretty much anything designed for scenery / model railroad work would be just fine.

I've never done it myself, but I've been told if you if you brush on layer of a high-gloss varnish it'll help with a resin's surface transparency.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

X-posting from the Warmahordes and Oath threads.

TotalHell posted:

Dead or not, I'll still be out here, painting my Cygnar boys.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

Something that doesn't seem to come up much is the difference in easy of use there. I've used my partner's DSLR for a few Warhammer photos, and it's a lot more time to have it up online. For most of my use of just snapping a photo when I finish painting, it's not worth the effort. I could see it being useful if I was doing something fancier than just shoving the photos here and a few other social networks. The DSLR gives me a lot more control over settings local focal depth. I'm sure I'll grab a lightbox at some point and take Nice Army Photos with it, but for now I'm mostly doing phone pictures.

DSLR process: Dig out camera, make sure battery's charged, take photo, take out SD card, upload to my PC, convert from RAW to something I can post elsewhere, shove the converted file on imgur, post here.
Phone process: My phone's already on me so pull it out of my pocket, take a photo, upload to imgur, post here.

For comparison, this two are DSLR

These are my phone's camera

There is definitely a mismatch in ease of use. But interestingly, in your examples the depth of focus is too short in the DSLR examples compared with your phone photos and the white balance looks off too!

I think the point of using a DSLR is that the photography is another part of the hobby. Not one I'm any good at (in line with the rest of my hobby skills), but it
is always interesting learning new things.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Beffer posted:

There is definitely a mismatch in ease of use. But interestingly, in your examples the depth of focus is too short in the DSLR examples compared with your phone photos and the white balance looks off too!

I think the point of using a DSLR is that the photography is another part of the hobby. Not one I'm any good at (in line with the rest of my hobby skills), but it
is always interesting learning new things.

Without a macro lens or tripod taking up close shots with a large depth of field is tricky with a DSLR.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

Without a macro lens or tripod taking up close shots with a large depth of field is tricky with a DSLR.

Not really. A shorter depth of field (lower f stop) is generally trickier. The guide I posted above is a great step by step covering all the manual settings for a dslr for miniatures photography.

And if you don’t have a tripod, you can still rest your camera on a soft bag. There are purpose made ones but I use a wheat pack. You line up the focus and the other settings, resting the camera on the bag and use the timer so that you don’t move the camera when you shoot.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

PoptartsNinja posted:

Tiny robot crosspost

:c00l:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Thanks for all the photography tips; I ended up just buying a $300~ Nikon D3200, because each day the crack in my brain where terrible miniatures-related purchasing decisions come from widens.

But, also, there's a good chance I'll be moving back to Japan soon and that is absolutely a place that deserves a good camera and it would be nice to have on hand. Really though, I'm feeling very good about my minis and the paint job I did, and I want to spend the time and effort into taking good photos of them to be proud of.

The vapor wave robots are loving sick by the way, love them.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Could I recommend other very expensive hobbies/habits that are absolute money sinks in addition to modeling and photography.

Skiing
Magic the gathering
Boating (and scuba diving)
Poker
Hard core crack addiction

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

MasterBuilder posted:

Could I recommend other very expensive hobbies/habits that are absolute money sinks in addition to modeling and photography.

Skiing
Magic the gathering
Poker

Add paintball to that list. I played it in high school and college and I can't imaging funding that now when I have actual bills to pay.

Skiing actually isn't that bad, imo. The gear lasts for years and season lift tickets are usually reasonable.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

MasterBuilder posted:

Skiing
Magic the gathering
Poker

The other half of this is rock climbing, which fulfills my "expensive and self destructive hobby" requirements.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted Domino to add to my MCP collection. She's surprisingly super good on the table, and also has one of the weirder hero rock bases I've seen.

Some auto setting on my phone made the flames look much more red in the photo, weird.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Man they really had fun with those action bases didn't they?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Awesome paint job on Domino. What...is she doing? Is she hoverboarding or is that like, concrete that's like...what?

Wrr posted:

The vapor wave robots are loving sick by the way, love them.

:agreed:

Spanish Manlove posted:

The sculpt is pretty bad but I had fun with it. The face on the sun is probably the best free hand I will ever do, and I think I did well on the texture on the tunic. Totally winged it on the base as makeshift marble, but I think I made the black lines on it too thick.

This rules.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AndyElusive posted:

Awesome paint job on Domino. What...is she doing? Is she hoverboarding or is that like, concrete that's like...what?

Domino's power is being exceptionally lucky. She's standing on a piece of concrete that's being thrown into the air by an explosion, and using the concrete to avoid being harmed by whatever it is that exploded at her feet.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ah, I should have been able to parse that, but it's early in the day for me.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Man they really had fun with those action bases didn't they?

They really have, haha. They've gone just wild with the hero bases:

There's plenty of others including Deadpool but those are my favs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
What scale are the Crisis Protocol minis? 32mm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I finished up one of the new guardsmen as a sort of test-mini. I tried to use mostly Contrast paints or 'cheating' techniques to be able to paint them quickly.

It's not as good as other minis posted in this thread but I feel like it's probably good enough for the effort. The base ended up lighter than I'd like, but that's an easy fix.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 1, 2021