Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Hasturtium posted:

An entire year in lockdown, then four months of trudging into my debt-strangled office, and within TWO WEEKS of my kids starting classes:

Just god drat it, I hate Texas.

What are your options as a parent in a suicide pact school district regarding whether or not to send your kid to school?

This is genuinely not a loaded question and I'm 100% not asking "what should you have done" I'm just honestly curious if there's even alternative options. Are parents of kids too young for vaccine just turbofucked here and forced the roll the dice on youth having better outcomes? I grew up in a single parent household making poverty wages and I dunno what options my mom woulda had other than "hope for the best" if the local gov wasn't providing any support in the same conditions, this situation is legit terrifying and it's bloodboiling it's hit this point because of politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

That guy's argument hinges on poor, underserved kids being used as a cudgel for why he should get to send his kids to school. What a disingenuous prick. Using other people like your loving pokemon is disgusting on so many levels.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol This is why if my boss ever asks us to come in again I'm just going to say I don't feel comfortable working in a shared workspace (from now and for the next 40 years)

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

ArbitraryC posted:

What are your options as a parent in a suicide pact school district regarding whether or not to send your kid to school?

This is genuinely not a loaded question and I'm 100% not asking "what should you have done" I'm just honestly curious if there's even alternative options. Are parents of kids too young for vaccine just turbofucked here and forced the roll the dice on youth having better outcomes? I grew up in a single parent household making poverty wages and I dunno what options my mom woulda had other than "hope for the best" if the local gov wasn't providing any support in the same conditions, this situation is legit terrifying and it's bloodboiling it's hit this point because of politics.

We spent an entire year with distance learning. I think it was the right thing, but I could see where my kids struggled and didn’t progress as they would have with in person learning. My job is run by chuds and teetering on the edge of bankruptcy besides, so I have no room for negotiation, and my wife has to be in person after fourteen months she spent at home herself. So outside of mask mandates, we have to roll the dice.

I don’t know where I got it. My wife’s tested negative so far. Who’s to say what errant sniffle or cough could be a harbinger of this? One of my kids could be asymptomatic, or one with a mild headache could have given it to me. I’m so tired of feeling powerless.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Hasturtium posted:

We spent an entire year with distance learning. I think it was the right thing, but I could see where my kids struggled and didn’t progress as they would have with in person learning. My job is run by chuds and teetering on the edge of bankruptcy besides, so I have no room for negotiation, and my wife has to be in person after fourteen months she spent at home herself. So outside of mask mandates, we have to roll the dice.

I don’t know where I got it. My wife’s tested negative so far. Who’s to say what errant sniffle or cough could be a harbinger of this? One of my kids could be asymptomatic, or one with a mild headache could have given it to me. I’m so tired of feeling powerless.

Goondolences my friend. I'm sending my best vibes your way.

If you need someone to chat through the bullshit, feel free to hit me up in the PMs. I had it back in December, but I was thankfully living alone. You'll get through this, and with a little luck, you'll make it through without much trouble.

Keep strong and have someone buy you a case of gatorade.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spaghett posted:

That guy's argument hinges on poor, underserved kids being used as a cudgel for why he should get to send his kids to school. What a disingenuous prick. Using other people like your loving pokemon is disgusting on so many levels.

Also it's a lovely lovely appeal to authority (mixed with a healthy dollop of "better things aren't possible") which completely ignores that other countries shut schools

Here's the current school situation here in Melbourne Australia:

quote:

- All schools are closed, except for vulnerable children and children of authorised workers or authorised providers, who can attend for onsite supervision. Schools will continue to support students through remote learning or providing learning materials for use at home.
- Universities and TAFEs must close or move to remote learning.
- Childcare and early education centres will open for vulnerable children and the children of authorised workers only. An Authorised Worker Permit is required to access childcare and early education centres.
- A permit is not required for a child or young person experiencing vulnerability to access childcare.
https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covidsafe-settings

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i know this thread is the Legion of Doomposters but it's starting to hit that this poo poo might not ever be going away and I'm trying to make adjustments to my long term thinking and planning accounting for that. Which sucks BALLS

got life insurance for one lol

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i know this thread is the Legion of Doomposters but it's starting to hit that this poo poo might not ever be going away and I'm trying to make adjustments to my long term thinking and planning accounting for that. Which sucks BALLS

time to switch to the cspam thread

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

you should be okay as long as you never touch a bicycle or water ever again

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

nexous posted:

time to switch to the cspam thread

Yeah if you think this is bad, head over there. I had to stop for the sake of my mental health. There were lols for sure, but stuff got dark.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

1. buy a van

2. live in your van

i forgot "learn to code" maybe that's step 1 idk

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I'm speaking for myself here, but I think a lot of Americans haven't ever confronted death or had even a minor, regular threat of death over them in any meaningful way.

For me, personally, the COVID stuff scared the poo poo out of me because I've lived a super comfortable life (and still do). In some ways, I've accepted a potential cheap death and I don't think that's something Americans have historically felt (of course, this doesn't apply to the people of color who have always had some looming threat of death).

So, I think a lot of the doomposting is sort of a catharsis for this new reality. Despite the outlook being grim, I'm not letting it bring me down. I've gotta live and I'll find a way to responsibly do it while doing my best to enjoy it. The threats of death and doom have always been present for people, but there's always been joy.

In summary, I read this thread for a bit of catharsis. It feels good to know that these thoughts and fears are shared. I don't feel alone. Once I lose some of that loneliness, I can go back into the world and find some joy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

It'll fade into the background eventually, even if it never gets 100% eradicated. It won't happen anytime soon though, especially if GOP fuckheads keep crabbucketing and dragging everyone else down but that's just a factor of life these days so :shrug:

You just gotta wait it out and make sure you max out your personal protections to try and avoid the worst outcomes, and convince everyone else around you to remain cautious as well. It's going to be exhausting so make sure you pace yourself

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

How are u posted:

Yeah that is what they are trying to do. Hold off spread until they can get 90%+ vaccinated with the actual good vaccines. After that it would be bizarre to try and pursue zero covid.

As opposed to which "bad" vaccines?

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Lol this is the "optimistic" thread in the forums

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

lol eat poo poo, idiot, this thread is the Legion of Realists. I don't think that there are even any experts left who believe that covid-19 will go away without serious intervention, the kind that seemingly no one is willing to do

We can't even get mask mandates in schools, places that often already have dress codes lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

QuarkJets posted:

We can't even get mask mandates in schools, places that often already have dress codes lol

One school in Texas added masks to their dress code to get around the state mask mandate ban :eng101:
https://www.npr.org/sections/back-t...-gov-abbott-ban

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

As opposed to which "bad" vaccines?

mRNA. They're working on their own and I'm sure they'll be rolling it out to the entire nation as soon as they can.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

How are u posted:

mRNA. They're working on their own and I'm sure they'll be rolling it out to the entire nation as soon as they can.

Wait the mRNA vaccines are "bad" now? Explain please.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Zil posted:

Wait the mRNA vaccines are "bad" now? Explain please.

Woops, sorry. I mean that the mRNA vaccines are the best vaccines. China's homegrown first gen vaccine is well known to be pretty spotty. Better than nothing, but not nearly as good as mRNA tech.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

How are u posted:

Woops, sorry. I mean that the mRNA vaccines are the best vaccines. China's homegrown first gen vaccine is well known to be pretty spotty. Better than nothing, but not nearly as good as mRNA tech.

Ah okay, that makes more sense.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Thank you Aardvark for threadbanning the annoying shitlord

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He already got threadbanned from the other covid thread, I don't think he's likely to learn any lesson from this

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
In case anyone was hoping the federal government was going to do anything about schools they're doubling down on keeping classrooms open (safely)
https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/1432404717393653769

Tunicate posted:

He already got threadbanned from the other covid thread, I don't think he's likely to learn any lesson from this

Well unless he wants to try tilting at CSPAM windmills he's reddit's problem now!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

In case anyone was hoping the federal government was going to do anything about schools they're doubling down on keeping classrooms open (safely)
https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/1432404717393653769

Well unless he wants to try tilting at CSPAM windmills he's reddit's problem now!

Kinda want to see him post in cspam to be honest. You know go three for three.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1432488050748116998

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Spaghett posted:

I'm speaking for myself here, but I think a lot of Americans haven't ever confronted death

hi

hello

but yeah a lot haven't and it kinda breaks their brains when there's no reset button.

:911: this is beautiful.

keep fighting against the idea that covid is here to stay. keep fighting the idea that we have to normalize this. other countries have fought this thing back. all of us could, too, if we weren't being churned into a machine for the almighty dollar.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Well after someone in my office had a kid who tested positive, I had a slightly scratchy throat this morning and my 4 year old is running a fever and has been low-energy all evening, even passing out an hour before bedtime.

Gonna call my health unit and ask if we should get tested. :sigh:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

lol

I have both doors open, 6 box fans exhausting air, 12 windows open, and 2 air filtering machines.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

spunkshui posted:

I have both doors open, 6 box fans exhausting air, 12 windows open, and 2 air filtering machines.

sounds like you're all set for the horse paste, incredible ventilation for a day of making GBS threads

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bring back transom windows.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Covid, here to stay :dance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhRb5hnTseU

In short: It's endemic, get in the mindset that you're gonna get it, so hopefully you're vaxxed already

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

other countries have fought this thing back. all of us could, too, if we weren't being churned into a machine for the almighty dollar.

Most countries which successfully fought back the original covid are now struggling with Delta. Even New Zealand is currently fighting an outbreak of almost 700 cases despite having locked down two weeks ago when there was a single case.

We're going to be stuck in lockdown until vaccination alone causes our current case numbers to fall. That's not projected to be until October/November. Even though restrictions will lessen then, some will still remain - especially for the unvaccinated.

Covid is here to stay for the foreseeable future. "Covid normal" is not going to be the same normal we had in 2019, or even parts of 2020. That doesn't mean that we can't build a new normal that is great, though.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Lolie posted:

Most countries which successfully fought back the original covid are now struggling with Delta. Even New Zealand is currently fighting an outbreak of almost 700 cases despite having locked down two weeks ago when there was a single case.

We're going to be stuck in lockdown until vaccination alone causes our current case numbers to fall. That's not projected to be until October/November. Even though restrictions will lessen then, some will still remain - especially for the unvaccinated.

Covid is here to stay for the foreseeable future. "Covid normal" is not going to be the same normal we had in 2019, or even parts of 2020. That doesn't mean that we can't build a new normal that is great, though.

spoiler alert: we're not going to build a new normal that is great

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there can be pockets of greatness, periods where the internet is plentiful with stories of people eating worm paste for horses

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ben shapino posted:

spoiler alert: we're not going to build a new normal that is great

We will build the best that we can and figure it out.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Just like the whole nation is doing our very best right now :angel: with us all trying I'm sure it will be wonderful!!

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Covid, here to stay :dance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhRb5hnTseU

In short: It's endemic, get in the mindset that you're gonna get it, so hopefully you're vaxxed already

I'm not saying this to advocate for chicken pox parties or the like, but if it's endemic and exposure is inevitable, isn't it preferable - as far as we know now - that an exposure is sooner than later, less than 6 months after your vaccination, as compared to like the zeta variant after all social order has broken down?

Or in terms of limited evidence that might exist to this question, has there been an ongoing study of hospital workers who made it to early 2021 without antibodies and what their outcomes are for post-vaccination post-delta exposures?

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Thank you Aardvark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

How are u posted:

We will build the best that we can and figure it out.

We probably won't, unless your definition of "best we can" is "the thing we did".