Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's like looking into another world. Like, I know and remember that january 2020 involved me going out to my local chinese buffet and either january or february somewhat joking about taking dog coronavirus vaccines. my spouse had only been gone like, a month, from here at the farm. I threw away 3M N95 masks every time I dealt with diatomaceous earth. :psyduck:

I'm kind of with eye patch lady. I definitely feel like one of the few locally who give a poo poo and it's hard to keep caring when all you see is an endless expanse of this, forever.

these exist? are they available OTC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

these exist? are they available OTC?

yeah absolutely. your local farm store has them. it's why they keep running out of them. people buy 10s of them every time they come in stock, shoot themselves up, then end up in the hospital over it. it's the OG "shovel yourself full of poo poo for animals" before ivermectin was around. it's real not great.

E: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/coronavirus-disease-in-dogs dog corona isn't covid 19 tho

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Blackhawk posted:

Lmao I think I figured out why New Zealand is so keen on sticking to the elimination approach:

Our current outbreak has a total of 682 cases across the whole country, we have 8 people in ICU and we're reaching the comfortable capacity of our intensive care facilities and staff in our largest city...

lol we (WA) have 0 covid and had to postpone half our elective surgeries. we've had the same brain drain but with nurses to the eastern states.

our premier puts the blame on federal failures to fund elderly care properly:

https://www.skynews.com.au/australi...8749da834e83b8a posted:

But the Premier also pointed the finger at the Commonwealth-run NDIS and aged care programs which have also contributed to higher hospital admissions.

“There are actually a number of people occupying hospital beds as we speak who should actually be managed by the NDIS and a number of others who should be in aged care,” he said.

“So there’s actually in the hundreds who we can’t find spots for in those areas… which is putting huge pressure on the system”.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/KXAN_News/status/1432931279146782726

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lol my dad told me I only have a 1 in 138,000 chance of dying from covid according to the cdc

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

is covid a zen koan now.

("mu" is - sort of - the answer to zen koans like "if a tree falls in the forest etc.", "what is the sound of one hand clapping". It's like a philosophical "#VALUE!")

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Homocow posted:

lol at this article from 2017

The World Is Not Ready for the Next Pandemic

lol lmao

we were warned in 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBHL_-biMrQ&t=154s

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Stairmaster posted:

Lol my dad told me I only have a 1 in 138,000 chance of dying from covid according to the cdc

tell your dad 138,000 people are infected

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fosborb posted:

the loving thing was sequenced by dec 31st, and i remember watching it on CNN after the ball dropped on NYE

the correspondence leading up to the ProMED article are not public record and will not be found with the 5 minute google search she made before firing off a tweet and then 10 more tweets defending it

this is entirely Zeynep thinking everything possibly known is available to her, and thinking that there can't possibly be a connected world of scientists that exist outside of her personal information network that may be privileged to information she is not.

also, remember that at least several epidemiologists knew about the MA bear week breakthrough cases 2 weeks ahead of the paper going to preprint and the US government responding to it

e: also what Atrocious Joe posted above

okay so your contention is

"of loving course you wouldn't be able to know the earliest possible date that some scientists knew of COVID-19 just by scanning news articles, because people have backchannel and private contacts, and Zeynep, as purportedly being a journalist, should not only be aware of that, she should reach out and do some journalisms instead of sitting slack-jawed in front of Twitter expressing shock about it"

?

in which case yes I agree

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Your dad, standing over your grave:

"This was so statistically unlikely! Due to that, I am not sad. This is how people work."

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Mola Yam posted:

is covid a zen koan now.

("mu" is - sort of - the answer to zen koans like "if a tree falls in the forest etc.", "what is the sound of one hand clapping". It's like a philosophical "#VALUE!")

a med student asked dr fauci, has a bat the buddha-nature?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Homocow posted:

because it's funny when republicans die and lose elections imo

The Republicans could lose 95% of their seats in the House and Senate and we'd still be hearing the Democrats talking about how it's just not possible to do anything and we just gotta be patient, jack.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Blackhawk posted:

I migrated from Australia to New Zealand 6 years ago lol, pretty good timing IMO.

I'm applying to reinstate my NZ PR and might be right there with you at this rate.

Shame I'll never be able to sell my heavily depreciated inner city apartment here.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
That Dr. John video made me feel terrified but also oddly reassured, something about him is kind of disarming I guess but also we're going to die??

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

kazmeyer posted:

The Republicans could lose 95% of their seats in the House and Senate and we'd still be hearing the Democrats talking about how it's just not possible to do anything and we just gotta be patient, jack.

that’s california

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Der Meister posted:

that’s california

Oregon has a supermajority and we don't do poo poo

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

God is truly great

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Library paste is made with flour. He was probably starving to death :smith:

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Idiot Kicker posted:

Oregon has a supermajority and we don't do poo poo

yep.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

no way lmao

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm applying to reinstate my NZ PR and might be right there with you at this rate.

Shame I'll never be able to sell my heavily depreciated inner city apartment here.

why would you want to come here it's shite

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ive gone to bonnaroo 9 times and i am super glad they were spared the fate of being a dumbass superspreader event. they probably have insurance for this poo poo anyway, so it's probably fine for them regardless. shouldnt' be having any fuckin festivals right now

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Homocow posted:

lol at this article from 2017

The World Is Not Ready for the Next Pandemic

lol lmao

Similarly, from November 2019

https://hub.jhu.edu/2019/11/06/event-201-health-security/

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I decided to work on a game to make people realize how easy it is to catch covid.

This game represents a factory of 250 people. This is full open'r up style with no protections.

They work from 8am-6pm, then they go home. Currently it starts with a single infected person.

each person is randomly generated by age, weight, gender, ethnicity, as dictated by 2020 census data.

A person requires 15 minutes of in game time contact to get infected. Severity of covid is random based on the CDC statistics of how infections progress. It is also modified by age/weight/ethnicity/gender/etc...

People who are "hospitalized" do not count towards the pool or infect others (since they'd be hospitalized)

I'd like to add a thing where you can hover over a person to see their stats, give them a mask, or vaccinate them. A slider for how fast times moves. Maybe add walls? I dunno. I just want people to see how fast it spreads

Color key:
white - nothing
green - mild symptoms
dark green - sick
Yellow - very sick/Hospitalized
Red - ICU
Purple - Dead

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 1, 2021

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sphyre posted:

why would you want to come here it's shite

I don't really, I prefer Aus and my wife and I have amazing jobs. But would prefer not to die.

24c/75f here on the first day of spring in the coldest part of the country. Wearing a mask for the next six months is gonna suuuuck

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Idiot Kicker posted:

That Dr. John video made me feel terrified but also oddly reassured, something about him is kind of disarming I guess but also we're going to die??

We're all gonna get it. But this is actually FINE!
Woo! NUMBERRRRR

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Bearjew posted:

she's going to be shocked to learn that it's hard to go to disney world on $235 a week

is she fired for cause for refusing the vaccine? i figure that’s how it would work in healthcare.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

COMPUTER, ZOOM AND ENHANCE

That motherfucker

i think the article in this issue is this one. it is about the need to fund US foreign aid, and his reasoning is that better healthcare in the developing world will cause people to have fewer children
https://time.com/4704550/bill-gates-cutting-foreign-aid-makes-america-less-safe/

also I wonder what else caused the Syrian Civil War to happen Bill?

quote:

The biggest public funder of anti-polio work has been the U.S. government, and for good reason: it is protecting Americans and helping us get ready for the next epidemic, which could be orders of magnitude deadlier than Ebola. To stop emerging diseases, we need the infrastructure built by consistent funding of well-run health programs.

loving amazing

gradenko_2000 posted:

"of loving course you wouldn't be able to know the earliest possible date that some scientists knew of COVID-19 just by scanning news articles, because people have backchannel and private contacts, and Zeynep, as purportedly being a journalist, should not only be aware of that, she should reach out and do some journalisms instead of sitting slack-jawed in front of Twitter expressing shock about it"

?

The funniest part of this is that she's an associate professor of library and information science, which is a discipline that is acutely aware of "dark" information not easily recoverable via searches that is only located via tribal knowledge and domain expertise and developing curation strategies to make that information more discoverable. How important is that to LIS?

quote:

The organization of information and information resources is one of the fundamental aspects of LIS.[18]:106 and is an example of both LIS's uniqueness and its multidisciplinary origins. Some of the main tools used by LIS toward this end to provide access to the digital resources of modern times (particularly theory relating to indexing and classification) originated in 19th century to assist humanity's effort to make its intellectual output accessible by recording, identifying, and providing bibliographic control of printed knowledge.[18]:105 The origin for some of these tools were even earlier. For example, in the 17th century, during the 'golden age of libraries', publishers and sellers seeking to take advantage of the burgeoning book trade developed descriptive catalogs of their wares for distribution – a practice was adopted and further extrapolated by many libraries of the time to cover areas like philosophy, sciences, linguistics, medicine, etc.[19] :120 In this way, a business concern of publishers – keeping track of and advertising inventory – was developed into a system for organizing and preserving information by the library.

The development of Metadata is another area that exemplifies the aim of LIS to be something more than an mishmash of several disciplines – that uniqueness Bawden and Robinson describe. Pre-Internet classification systems and cataloging systems were mainly concerned with two objectives: 1. to provide rich bibliographic descriptions and relations between information objects and 2. to facilitate sharing of this bibliographic information across library boundaries.[20] :14 The development of the Internet and the information explosion that followed found many communities needing mechanisms for the description, authentication and management of their information.[20]:15 These communities developed taxonomies and controlled vocabularies to describe their knowledge as well as unique information architectures to communicate these classifications and libraries found themselves as liaison or translator between these metadata systems.[20]:15–16 Of course the concerns of cataloging in the Internet era have gone beyond simple bibliographic descriptions. The need for descriptive information about the ownership and copyright of a digital product – a publishing concern – and description for the different formats and accessibility features of a resource – a sociological concern – show the continued development and cross discipline necessity of resource description.[20]:15

So she's an inexpert moron opining miles out of her lane but simultaneously has a massive blind spot regarding the one specific area she should be domain expert in.

Amazing, really.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Stairmaster posted:

your dad is super insanely dumb to think those odds are real or good

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

fosborb posted:

wherein zeynep discovers that yes, the outbreak that hit loving CNN breaking news on Dec 31st was in fact known by actual, serious scientists around the world a bit ahead of that

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1432869196216651777?s=19

this timeline was even in that netflix documentary last year too. jfc we have to stop giving these people platforms

She thinks she’s very smart for someone who continues to talk out of her rear end about a topic she clearly knows nothing about.

We all got really sick 12/24/19 after a trip to Boston, no idea if it was COVID (we didn’t lose taste or smell) however we had fevers and sinus issues for days. My kiddo was really sick for almost a week.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
OPEN WIDER

quote:

Germany to end free COVID testing in October
German leaders have agreed that the German government will stop paying for rapid coronavirus tests in order to encourage more people to get vaccinated. Unvaccinated people will still be required to take tests.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-to-end-free-covid-testing-in-october/a-58822085

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Glumwheels posted:

She thinks she’s very smart for someone who continues to talk out of her rear end about a topic she clearly knows nothing about.

We all got really sick 12/24/19 after a trip to Boston, no idea if it was COVID (we didn’t lose taste or smell) however we had fevers and sinus issues for days. My kiddo was really sick for almost a week.

someone had to fill the oster shoes

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

has any government tried just paying people (a non-trivial amount) to get vaccinated

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
offen merkel

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

gradenko_2000 posted:

?

:) yup!

also I think that she's fundamentally mistrusting the doc because it's spike Lee, but that's pure speculation of the most uncharitable possible read

but yeah

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
ouvert macron

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Tzen posted:

lol yesterday i wore my secure click for a solid 3 hours, when i did finally take it off, just as i got back to my car, the hit of smells was really jarring
oh yeah these streets are filled with pissed stained sidewalks, overloaded garbage bins, and wow at least the trees smell nice!

ages ago someone posted about wearing a half mask in the forest and then taking it off to get a full load of nature and all it's beautiful smells or something along those lines. the next hike i go do i will be doing this. getting the urban streets version of this wasn't great

This is hella pages ago but I was part of that discussion and it’s one of the many joys of the respo life. If you can do it in a rain or snow storm, I highly recommend that, those are my favorites. Sneaking up on a good smelling flower bush is very good too. It can be kind of unpleasant in a city (especially during the summer), but it’s still interesting to be able to switch your sense of smell on and off and see how much information you regularly take for granted. It’s cool where I live because there’s a bunch of bad city smells, but I can also tell that I’m near a river, that there are restaurants nearby, fires from homeless camps, car fumes, all that stuff you kind of ignore just pops right up to the front of your awareness.

I recently downgraded to some of the basic P100 cartridges because my other set was getting kind of old and these seem better sealed against the rain we’ll hopefully get some day, and I’ve been appreciating the weird half-smells that come through. Like I can for sure smell cigarette smoke again, but it’s this weird version, like somebody had unplugged the bass and the midrange and played a familiar song through just the tweeters. I can recognize what it is, but it’s definitely not the same.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Coldrice posted:

I decided to work on a game to make people realize how easy it is to catch covid.

This game represents a factory of 250 people. This is full open'r up style with no protections.

They work from 8am-6pm, then they go home. Currently it starts with a single infected person.

each person is randomly generated by age, weight, gender, ethnicity, as dictated by 2020 census data.

A person requires 15 minutes of in game time contact to get infected. Severity of covid is random based on the CDC statistics of how infections progress. It is also modified by age/weight/ethnicity/gender/etc...

People who are "hospitalized" do not count towards the pool or infect others (since they'd be hospitalized)

I'd like to add a thing where you can hover over a person to see their stats, give them a mask, or vaccinate them. A slider for how fast times moves. Maybe add walls? I dunno. I just want people to see how fast it spreads

Color key:
white - nothing
green - mild symptoms
dark green - sick
Yellow - very sick/Hospitalized
Red - ICU
Purple - Dead

shouldn’t it be 5 seconds now instead of 15 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Google Butt posted:

someone had to fill the oster shoes

Feels more like Nate Silver's credibility is expiring and they needed a replacement to tag in after the sandmen come for him