Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i liked the real intro a lot but now it tastes like ashes in my mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
What the actual gently caress am I supposed to do in the stupid slide section after you beat the octopus? I slide for a bit, suddenly there's an ice hill and I just fall into the abyss, whether I jump or not

e: nevermind I figured it out

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 1, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fast cars loose anus posted:

What the actual gently caress am I supposed to do in the stupid slide section after you beat the octopus? I slide for a bit, suddenly there's an ice hill and I just fall into the abyss, whether I jump or not

e: nevermind I figured it out

Its very hard to see at the speed you're going but you need to levitate in the air and a horizontal air current pushes you when you're going down the ice slide. I know you figured it out, but this seems to be a problem area for a lot of people so Im just gonna say it

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Its very hard to see at the speed you're going but you need to levitate in the air and a horizontal air current pushes you when you're going down the ice slide. I know you figured it out, but this seems to be a problem area for a lot of people so Im just gonna say it

In my case while I saw the sort of floaty current I had literally forgotten you could levitate with that balloon thing because past the tutorial I didn't ever do it until that point (I did run around on the ball cause that's fun)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

fast cars loose anus posted:

In my case while I saw the sort of floaty current I had literally forgotten you could levitate with that balloon thing because past the tutorial I didn't ever do it until that point (I did run around on the ball cause that's fun)

it's ludicrously good. if you jump forward with some momentum on the ball and press it again (or release it and press it again) to cancel you'll balloon you get a ton of distance. protips!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Richard Horvitz (aka Raz aka Invader Zim) playing Psychonauts 2 with Jhonen Vasquez right now: https://twitch.tv/jhnenvee

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

That reminds me of a fun fact about a voice actor (later game spoiler) Raz's archetype is voiced by Rikki Simons...aka Gir from Invader Zim

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Finished Psychonauts 2. My opinion is... It's fine? The levels felt much more constrained and direct than 1s levels, and nothing really scratched the same itch as Black Velvetopia or Waterloo World. I really didn't end up liking most of the new characters or plot, but I suspect that if I were a bigger fan of the levels I'd be more excited to see what was happening, rather than trying to rush to the next mental world Psi King was by far my favorite level, and I was much more engaged after that level. The visuals and fun were all top notch though, and I fully understand why other people enjoyed the game so much, it just struck out with me.

All the boss fights after the first were bad though :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’ve spent far too long in the Questionable Area? but I’m loving every moment of it. The stuff with Raz’s family so far has been exactly the kind of heart I think the first game didn’t quite have.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Did anyone else take an embarrassingly long time to realize that PSI king rhymes with viking?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No. But I did take an embarrassingly long time to finish the boss on the cooking level. I think part of that was just terrible design, though. Bosses shouldn't take 10+ minutes to finish.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waltzing Along posted:

No. But I did take an embarrassingly long time to finish the boss on the cooking level. I think part of that was just terrible design, though. Bosses shouldn't take 10+ minutes to finish.

I just did that one and holy poo poo it's long. It could really do with a checkpoint or chopping a phase off.

On the other hand that whole section was the most wonderfully hosed up thing so far in either game. It very much felt like something out of Invader Zim. It took me way too long to realise who the scary puppets were supposed to represent.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

stev posted:

I just did that one and holy poo poo it's long. It could really do with a checkpoint or chopping a phase off.

On the other hand that whole section was the most wonderfully hosed up thing so far in either game. It very much felt like something out of Invader Zim. It took me way too long to realise who the scary puppets were supposed to represent.

Its too late now since you finished the stage, but all of the puppets have joke names that only show up in the subtitles

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN A MOUTHFUL OF NAILS!!!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Waltzing Along posted:

I spent way too long on the first part of that fight, because I kept thinking the potato picture was an onion, so I kept throwing away all the potatoes I found.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I got the right ingredient every time, and that boss still took forever. It's easily the worst in the game.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Waltzing Along posted:

The music. The images are Yellow Submarine, the music is the dead. There are hints of Truckin and St. Stephen and probably others. The music, especially the guitar, is very much done in a dead-like way.

Ah cool. I definitely instantly thought of the Dead when I heard the music, especially with the whole "getting the band back together" thing, but I don't actually know them well enough to pick up on specific musical references so I was curious.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I spent way too long on the first part of that fight, because I kept thinking the potato picture was an onion, so I kept throwing away all the potatoes I found.

It's so dark in that arena that, to me the onion, egg and potato all looked basically the same.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
lmao didn't get PSI king->Viking until you pointed it out. I figured out the twist the second I heard Vision talk so I spent the entire level trying to figure out what PSI could stand for in the context of Helmut haha

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I got the right ingredient every time, and that boss still took forever. It's easily the worst in the game.

It's a long fight, but it's the best boss in the game, with the most possible attacks, situations and sheer creativity.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i think it was the only boss i found at all challenging? lucktopus was a little tricky because you don't have that many brains or fairies but the overwhelming majority of the bosses weren't. the last boss is kind of a joke difficultywise...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I found the Bob's memory hydra boss to be the most frustrating so far (I only just beat the level), because you have to focus your attention on two different planes, watching out for the boss's incoming attacks in the middle of the arena while also moving forwards and backwards to avoid obstacles in front of you. It wasn't difficult because you're constantly running over health, but I never really felt like I was in control of that fight.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I found the Bob's memory hydra boss to be the most frustrating so far (I only just beat the level), because you have to focus your attention on two different planes, watching out for the boss's incoming attacks in the middle of the arena while also moving forwards and backwards to avoid obstacles in front of you. It wasn't difficult because you're constantly running over health, but I never really felt like I was in control of that fight.

You can blast the bombs that get put in your path. I'd clear up the bombs then put my focus back towards the boss/homing missiles. Apparently you can TK the bombs back at the boss for more damage.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Wait, you can even damage them at all if you don't use their own bombs with TK? I thought that's just what you did in that fight, it was the only ability I used against them.

I knew how to beat them, my problem was that if you're focusing on hitting the boss you can't see ahead of you, if you see ahead of you you're not damaging the boss and thus dragging the fight out longer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Wait, you can even damage them at all if you don't use their own bombs with TK? I thought that's just what you did in that fight, it was the only ability I used against them.

You can very, very slowly chip them out with Psi-Blasts

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

King Vidiot posted:

You can use mental blasts against the boss, but the damage sucks, and it'd take forever.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Right, like it apparently did so little damage that I didn't think it was doing any damage, which is why I gave up on that tact.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Wait, when we talk about bombs, which bombs are we talking about in that fight? Because there's the molotovs flying at you and there's the bombs that land in the water. I didn't even have TK out for that fight because if you PSI-blast the molotovs, they fly back at the boss and damage it anyway. You don't have to grab them with TK. But I didn't think to try to TK throw the bombs in the water. Can you do that or do you have to just pop them with PSI-blast?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

CuwiKhons posted:

But I didn't think to try to TK throw the bombs in the water. Can you do that or do you have to just pop them with PSI-blast?

You can pluck them out of the water and toss them back, yeah, it's how I did all my damage in that fight.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

Wait, when we talk about bombs, which bombs are we talking about in that fight? Because there's the molotovs flying at you and there's the bombs that land in the water. I didn't even have TK out for that fight because if you PSI-blast the molotovs, they fly back at the boss and damage it anyway. You don't have to grab them with TK. But I didn't think to try to TK throw the bombs in the water. Can you do that or do you have to just pop them with PSI-blast?

You can pick up the bombs in the water and huck em back

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
tk out of the water is incredibly easy too. don't be overly concerned about who you're hitting let the autoaim do that, you want to be throwing all the available bombs at them ASAP, you can easily do 4-5 in succession (the autoaim is super super strong). it does the opposite of dragging out the fight because if you clear the bombs it seems to make them do that attack again more quickly, i think i even commented ITT how easy i found that fight.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/immagigi/status/1432790607882121220

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Sway Grunt posted:

You can pluck them out of the water and toss them back, yeah, it's how I did all my damage in that fight.

Barudak posted:

You can pick up the bombs in the water and huck em back

:negative: oh god, that fight took so long and I was just blowing those bombs up

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I beat this game two days ago and am now working towards Rank 102. This game is incredible. Not only is it my GOTY, it might be one of my top games of all time. Psychonauts 1 had amazing writing and art, but the platforming and combat left something to be desired. This game immensely improves on those fronts. And the the writing and art far exceeds what was seen in the first game.

IDK how hard the spoiler policy is, but from what I've seen of this thread, it looks pretty strict.

PSI King's Sensorium is easily my favorite level. It's so beautiful and perfectly crafted. The way it plays with the camera and the trippy visuals is so cool. The reveal of who the PSI King is is incredible, and so is the musical number that goes with it. I also love Fatherland Follies because satirical propaganda stuff is super entertaining to me. A delusional manchild's level being a propaganda dark ride is such a fun concept. That song keeps getting stuck in my head too.

I hope there's a third game, knock on wood.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The thing I really liked about Fatherland Follies is its the only level to really take advantage of the unreality of size and space. Every area that spiraled to a totally new place was a treat

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
think people are being ginger with the spoilers because its such a narrative driven game. I went in completely blind and think that's ideal.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I definitely don't think my jaw would've dropped as hard at RAM. IT. DOWN! as it would have had I known exactly what was coming ahead of time. It feels weird to be so careful with spoilers though, considering prior to the first game I read lengthy articles and interviews about it and basically knew about half of the minds that were in the game. I knew going in there was going to be a Milkman Conspiracy level and Black Velvetopia, and yet I was just as delighted playing them as I was reading about them.

So :shrug: Not everybody appreciates knowing what twist is coming up. And like Cab said, everything ties into the narrative, it's not just a bunch of random people and their random brains this time.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CoolCab posted:

think people are being ginger with the spoilers because its such a narrative driven game. I went in completely blind and think that's ideal.

Yeah, the game does a great job of laying out its quirky little details, then delivering on that detail hours later in a way that made me say "oh poo poo!" multiple times. Everything from PSI-King onwards is filled with those moments, especially starting with the third Ford level

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the one thing I don't like about the psy king's level is just how green it is. more reds or blues in the landscape (not as figments) to contrast would have been nice, because at times it felt overbearing. being visually overwhelming might have been the goal but I still didn't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean, each section of that level is specifically colored in bright primary colors, each color obviously related to which of the Psi King's senses you're restoring. That part is only the first of three parts of that level.