Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Got to Khiva for the first time. Gonna put the game away for a few days to think things through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

If you build your own ships, can you hire them as reinforcements later on in the campaign? I got pretty good at building ships, and put a bunch out there, but whenever I go to hire reinforcements, all I see are the base game ships thus far.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I feel like I remember seeing my custom builds show up but I cannot confirm. I wonder if deleting stock designs you know you never want will bump up the odds of getting your own builds? If so it would be nice if the stock designs could be toggled for campaign use.

edit: pretty sure I'm mis-remembering

Scut fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 29, 2021

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo just stumbled across this usage of interceptors as a screening force against Strike Group missiles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9B4nmJIslM

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Yeah, interceptors + air-to-air missles (aka bulk discount Sprints-on-a-plane) are really fantastic to have around.

I'm still not sure if I should stick with 250kgs bombs or use their unique bigboy rockets when I risk them on bombing runs though...

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I've found the big bombs to be much more effective than the big rockets. I only go for the rockets if I have bombed a strike group flagship enough times that the bombs are able to drop clean through and out the bottom without going off.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Bombs if they're landed, or cruisers (or longbows). Rokkits for frigates and corvettes in the air.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

The new beta branch patch has some armor rebalances and gives the AI more access to special ammo. Excellent.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When they say the Governor is withdrawing his Strike Groups to Khiva, do they just mean the Strike Groups or the Tac groups too?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Night10194 posted:

When they say the Governor is withdrawing his Strike Groups to Khiva, do they just mean the Strike Groups or the Tac groups too?

Just the strike groups- the tac groups don't seem to move.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Is that because of time or progress.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Affi posted:

Currently theory is time.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

In both the games i've played all the strike groups were dead long before that triggered and it happened in different places.

So I got close to Kiva and the governor asked for a meet. I went but using only a scout ship. After it came down to fighting I ran away with the scout then missiled the cruiser he spawns them mopped up with an upgunned 2x2 180 frigate. Then... Nothing? Did I break whatever was supposed to happen by running away?

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 1, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Saros posted:

In both the games i've played all the strike groups were dead long before that triggered and it happened in different places.

So I got close to Kiva and the governor asked for a meet. I went but using only a scout ship. After it came down to fighting I ran away with the scout then missiled the cruiser he spawns them mopped up with an upgunned 2x2 180 frigate. Then... Nothing? Did I break whatever was supposed to happen by running away?

No, he sends a big battleship to kill you. There's no event for killing it, just the absence of you dying.

It is possible for that event to go in a completely different direction but it requires you to have already fulfilled some conditions before going to meet him. Him trying to kill you is an outcome, not a step.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Affi posted:

I'm almost certain it's proximity to Khiva. I took my sweet drat time on the run I won - there were multiple events for my crew freezing to death in the nuclear winter, but the Strike Groups weren't ever recalled until i was... maybe 2000km from the goal?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
BTW you don't even need A-A missiles to take out cruise missiles, at least KH-15s. The interceptors are fast enough to allow them engage the missile over and over again until they take it out. (lol though that it head-ons it repeatedly instead of slotting in behind it and blowing it out of the sky, V-1 style, so I don't regard this a cheesing it or anything.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fun fact: If you fight a Strike Group with long range attacks, damage it, and it manages to run away it will hide and while they don't respawn, what was originally two Boreys turned into two Boreys, 2 Komorans, and a loving Nomad after the first one got pasted by bombers and the second managed to limp away.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Ah, so they regenerate, but not resurrect.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And they can regenerate way worse. Don't leave one wounded no matter what, make sure you kill those fuckers.

E: Also, what happens if You don't let your Skyrussians leave the heater on and the engine running all campaign after it starts to get cold, because jesus, losing fuel while at anchor loving suuuuucked

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 2, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

You don't let your Skyrussians leave the heater on and the engine running all campaign after it starts to get cold, because jesus, losing fuel while at anchor loving suuuuucked

it's like a one time morale hit, lol

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

cock hero flux posted:

it's like a one time morale hit, lol

Jesus christ I shouldn't coddle my sky russians so.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ceebees posted:

I'm almost certain it's proximity to Khiva. I took my sweet drat time on the run I won - there were multiple events for my crew freezing to death in the nuclear winter, but the Strike Groups weren't ever recalled until i was... maybe 2000km from the goal?

I've had it happen while still in the bottom-most section of the map on a new game before, my thought has always been that it was either time-gated or based on something like how aware of your presence the enemy is because it always seems to come up right around the time I stop hiding from them.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Can anyone point me to a good tutorial on engine heat, or explain the mechanics to me?
What factors in ship design allow faster cooling? More fuel? Engine placement? Number of engines vs tonnage?
I enjoy building fast raiders and have found my dogfight tactic is burst movement so I want to be able to get my ships from 'overheated' to 'afterburner capable' quicker.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have now gotten far enough that Holy loving poo poo Pyotr! Pointing Russian Man you have done a very abrupt about face in how I feel about you! But at least I got a free Nomad

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I've always imagined the pointing russian man having no arms but instead doing some Jazzpunk poo poo

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also i have learned that the Rocket Pod gets massively better the more of them you have. In many ways this is true of all guns, for obvious reasons, but the rockets fire out in spreads like spreads of torpedoes. Four of them makes it much easier to hit things and also lets them absolutely pummel heavy targets; a single magazine of rockets will core a cruiser or blast all the armor off a facing on something like a Nomad or Varyag.

Just that 4 Ammo makes massing them a pain.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've had it happen while still in the bottom-most section of the map on a new game before, my thought has always been that it was either time-gated or based on something like how aware of your presence the enemy is because it always seems to come up right around the time I stop hiding from them.

I mean, i know we're both just quoting personal experience with a sample size of like a few runs here, buuuuut...

The instant any enemy sees a single plane all of Gerat goes on high alert like it's madagascar in Pandemic, so i spent probably the entire first week of that run spotted and alerted. Relatedly, i killed all 5 SG's early when they came down to whack me, and so i basically ignored the danger notices. I had like 50% of the map at yellow DANGER with half a dozen red ones, and I was leaving the Sevestapol parked out in the desert for weeks at a time while I went hunting for hidden cities. The main reason i ended that run was it turns out cargo ships are finite and i had to get a move on before i bled out on cash.

It's difficult to overstate the degree to which i was loving around and not bothering to hide, is what i'm trying to get at here.

So, i think i can pretty firmly say that in my experience 'proximity to khiva' is the only variable that ever seems to have any affect on the SG recall triggering. :shrug:

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 2, 2021

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Merchants are the most dangerous fuckers in all of Gerat. There is nothing that spots me more than merchants. Even sending a loving Lightning at them, when I know they're there from IR and can hit them the instant they spot me, they still get off a message.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I've beaten Normal mode several times and just finished a very tense run through of Hard. I swear to god they add an extra bastard in Hard mode. I loved Hard mode but the additional difficulty was kind of minimal in nature, so I started looking to see if the community had made any cool new stuff and discovered this mod that is the Hard mode that you are looking for.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1434950/discussions/0/3032599335594280227/

New Game Plus ups the difficulty level by redesigning a bunch of the built in ships the AI use to being a little less... derpy. Redesigning some armor components, removing stuff the AI doesn't use like flares, and most importantly, giving them all specialized ammo types. So you might see a Gladiator with all around armor that also has proximity or armor piercing rounds. It significantly ups the stakes in every fight and puts Normal mode to being a little bit harder than Hard without the huge repair time penalty. This plus the 1.13 beta that has a TON of bugfixes has brought some additional challenges to this game that I just can't get enough of.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Merchants are the most dangerous fuckers in all of Gerat. There is nothing that spots me more than merchants. Even sending a loving Lightning at them, when I know they're there from IR and can hit them the instant they spot me, they still get off a message.

Anything that is airborne will send out an alert the moment it sees you, so you can never get a surprise strike on a merchant when it is between cities. If you really want to stay stealthy you can deduce the convoy's locations from IR and then shadow them from outside of visual range until they reach a city and land to refuel.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Night10194 posted:

you need 900km speed to reliably hit a merchant before they alert. Note that for two hours after they launch from a city they will auto alert.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Night10194 posted:

Also i have learned that the Rocket Pod gets massively better the more of them you have. In many ways this is true of all guns, for obvious reasons, but the rockets fire out in spreads like spreads of torpedoes. Four of them makes it much easier to hit things and also lets them absolutely pummel heavy targets; a single magazine of rockets will core a cruiser or blast all the armor off a facing on something like a Nomad or Varyag.

Just that 4 Ammo makes massing them a pain.

:hmmyes:

vvv but then you lose the chance of having a lucky death star trench shot overpenetrate an engine and cook off the entire MLRS ammo supply in one massive explosion, and that would be terrible

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 3, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

elevate your large statics by shoving 1x1 pieces below them (2 2x1s will cover the bottom) and take out the armor between to squish them together, then slap the armor beneath, now elevated the engines will work over the armor and be protected from a gutshot.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

HookedOnChthonics posted:

:hmmyes:

vvv but then you lose the chance of having a lucky death star trench shot overpenetrate an engine and cook off the entire MLRS ammo supply in one massive explosion, and that would be terrible

Many mouseclicks died, to bring us this abomination...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Today I learned that missile carrier groups must have thermal sensors or something.

No Alert, sudden strike probability 99%, and they just opened up on my strike force at about 400km, which is suspiciously IRST range.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Night10194 posted:

Today I learned that missile carrier groups must have thermal sensors or something.

No Alert, sudden strike probability 99%, and they just opened up on my strike force at about 400km, which is suspiciously IRST range.

They definitely do this. I had the same thing happen last night.

Hm. My campaign is getting pretty far in, I’m about a screen and a half from Khiva. I think I’ve taken out five strike groups, and now I’ve got some of the carrier and missile groups to deal with.

I feel like missile strikes against the enemy strike groups just don’t work; they have so much point defense that most of the time it just shreds the missiles as they come in one at a time. Same for air strikes. If I catch them landed I can get some bomb hits in on the big cruisers but attrition on my bombers is crazy.

It felt like it worked better early, but I’m not familiar enough with enemy heavy ships to know if they’re just getting better ships as I get farther north? In any case it just feels like I’m burning 12-20k in planes and missiles to get a little attrition on the strike groups. Does a saturation strike actually work at exhausting their ammo? If so, coordinating the arrival of the planes and missiles is probably the way to go…

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Air strikes completely wreck Strike Groups in my experience, even if they're in the air. Missile strikes are dicier but you'll hit about 30-50% of the time and even one hit will take out a cruiser sometimes. I've rarely seen Strike Groups shoot down bombers, either. I think the thing to do is to send bombers in in groups of 2-3. The first strike might suffer losses potentially but they'll put some bombs onto fire control and radar and wreck the ability of the enemy to see them coming.

Missile groups are the frustrating ones for me. You can't take out missile groups with airstrikes unless they're at port, I feel like; those missile carriers are as fast as Lightnings and planes just can't hit them if they're in the air.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
If you send the planes in 2-3 at a time they'll arrive as a single strike group and can drop their payload and escape before most enemies can ready their weapons. Larger groups of planes have some arrive 'late' and eat a hail of gunfire on the approach, that's where most plane losses come from imo. I don't think coordinating improves anything but I don't know for sure.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I send planes in large groups at missile carriers just to make sure I'll catch them on the ground (and because they don't have fantastic AA) and that's the only time I do that.

Also A2A missiles feel like cheating. "Lol, CV sent 8 planes at me, better send like 3 of the lads to wreck 'em all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Velius posted:

It felt like it worked better early, but I’m not familiar enough with enemy heavy ships to know if they’re just getting better ships as I get farther north? In any case it just feels like I’m burning 12-20k in planes and missiles to get a little attrition on the strike groups. Does a saturation strike actually work at exhausting their ammo? If so, coordinating the arrival of the planes and missiles is probably the way to go…

My standard recipe for taking out a strike group is 2 cruise missiles to soak all the R9 Anti-missiles then groups of 2 planes with 250kg bombs. 4-8 bombs per ship is plenty to do them in and I usually leave cruisers two alive and send in a frigate with 180 mm AP to wipe them out.

The key is keeping the plane groups under 4 because only 3 will fight at once and they will scoot in and put before the enemy can load their guns. If you have multiple waves in the same combat they will run into a wall of bullets.