Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

that article has some great quotes from Jim Starlin

quote:

As editor, Roy Thomas was game for Shang-Chi but imposed mandates. One was Shang-Chi’s half-white racial identity, but no one is sure who ordered it and why. To Englehart’s view, Shang-Chi’s half-white identity was due to the bankability, or lack thereof, of Asian leads. Incidentally, this is why ABC didn’t cast Bruce Lee in Kung Fu.

“Marvel insisted [Shang-Chi] be half-white,” Englehart tells Inverse. “We wanted to do an all-Asian character. We didn’t want him half-white, but we had to get the deal done.” He says a previous addition to the Marvel Universe, Black hero Luke Cage, caused cold feet. “I was writing Luke Cage and there were parts of the south that would not carry Luke Cage.”

Roy Thomas isn’t sure where it came from. “I don’t recall if that was my decision based on what I thought Stan would want, or if that is what [Stan] wanted,” he says. “We always considered Shang-Chi Asian. Shang-Chi is an ‘Asian hero’ as Barack Obama was a Black President.”

Starlin doesn’t dispute any of this but adds there was a technical reason. “Faces were not my strongest suit,” he says. “[Stan Lee] didn’t like any of the Asian faces I [drew]. That’s how we ended up with Shang-Chi being half-white.” In a self-deprecating tone, he says his drawings “were more offensive than anything.”

Another mandate came directly from Roy Thomas: the inclusion of Fu Manchu, the pulp villain created by Sax Rohmer in 1913. Though he’d be outdated by the end of the century, Fu Manchu still had clout via movies starring Christopher Lee. Englehart says Fu Manchu became Shang-Chi’s evil father to ensure sales for a comic of an unknown genre.

“[Marvel] said there is nothing interesting about kung fu, so we needed a recognized Chinese villain,” he recalls. Englehart and Starlin weren’t thrilled.

“Fu Manchu is problematic,” Englehart says, “He was problematic then and he’s problematic now. But that’s what we did in order to get the book out. Around the second issue, kung fu exploded as a cultural phenomenon.”

From Thomas’ perspective, Fu Manchu was payback for Carmine Infantino at DC. “I decided it would be fun to scoop Fu Manchu from Carmine, so he couldn't do a Fu Manchu comic even if he wanted to,” he says. Marvel obtained the rights from Fu Manchu’s copyright owners for $100-$200 per issue.

Thomas also deflects criticisms of Fu Manchu’s inclusion. “Fu Manchu’s stories had some racist elements,” he says, but “I disagree strongly with folks who think having Fu Manchu makes us offenders. Any racism would be in handling the characters, not in characters themselves.”

A few complaints were sent to Marvel; Thomas “ignored them.”

“I knew our intent,” he says. In hindsight, however, “I’d probably have pushed Steve and Jim to make [Marvel villain] Yellow Claw the father, or make up a new character. I had no vested interest in Fu Manchu. Really, it was just a joke.”

Jim Starlin has a more blunt take on Fu Manchu and his novels: “These are the most racist pieces of poo poo I’ve ever seen.”

I'm not sure Roy Thomas understands why people think Fu Manchu is problematic if he thought Yellow Claw was the better choice for a character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ah yes the distinctly half white face of shang chi a face so distinctly half white we have to have characters constantly making reference to how half white he is lest the reader forget

fake edit the distinctly half white face of shang chi would be a good thread title assuming the mods ever even click here

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

fake edit the distinctly half white face of shang chi would be a good thread title assuming the mods ever even click here

self-report your post with the request, that's the secret trick

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i say swears online posted:

How have I never fuckin thought of this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i don't think i've ever seen someone actually articulate it but yeah cat's out of the bag

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

For a long time, only aficionados knew Shang-Chi. He made sporadic appearances in other comics; he trained Spider-Man and briefly joined the Avengers in 2013. But for most people, Shang-Chi was more than obscure. Englehart, Starlin, and Thomas tell Inverse they never heard from Asian readers about Shang-Chi. Asian Americans who spoke to Inverse say they never heard of Shang-Chi. If they did, they were repelled by his stereotypical elements, the repulsive Fu Manchu most of all. Only one said he was a fan.

“I never heard of Shang-Chi before I was called by Marvel,” says Shang-Chi screenwriter Dave Callaham, himself half-Chinese. “I am a huge Marvel fan. I walked in [to a meeting] not knowing what to expect.” Callaham was expecting to pitch for Amadeus Cho, the Korean-American Hulk. “Jonathan Schwartz, our producer, said, ‘The character’s name is Shang-Chi, and he is the master of kung fu.’ I said, ‘Oh no.’”

even the screenwriter wanted nothing to do with the movie

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

lol this is literally the movie nobody except the execs wanted to make

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

incredible

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Doctor Jeep posted:

lol this is literally the movie nobody except the execs wanted to make

im guessing they figured black panther was big with african americans, the movie made an easy billion, so shang-chi....

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
then covid happened. whoops. now none of your movies will ever make a billion again.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

lmaoo

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the ultimate perfect cap to the story would be if it got banned in china somehow

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
its incredible how they managed to make every single marvel movie release a culture war thing, insanely effective marketing

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

its incredible how they managed to make every single marvel movie release a culture war thing, insanely effective marketing

i think disney stumbled into it with the last jedi, or maybe earlier than that, realized that they could feed their young actors with basically no clout or recourse to whichever side hated the movie, then flipped flopped on which movie would appeal to whom and if you want to get more conspiratorial (but I totally believe it) pay some interns/influencers to go on social media to get mad about the movie to drive engagement over defending it or attacking it

once you hit critical mass then you've got nerds on youtube releasing 8 hour videos on your two hour movie and they'll eat up the next bit of content that seems to be you giving into their consumer demands

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

eternals looks like dogshit too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_me3xsvDgk

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

the ultimate perfect cap to the story would be if it got banned in china somehow

shang-chi and the legend of the two chinas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol that kumail's only line is 'hi'

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Dreylad posted:

if you want to get more conspiratorial (but I totally believe it) pay some interns/influencers to go on social media to get mad about the movie to drive engagement over defending it or attacking it

bet they were behind all those anti-asian hate crimes too

what people won’t do for a fast pass these days smh

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

kumail nanjiani looks like the potion seller guy now because of all the roids he did for this movie

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
jacked kumail will be the lasting legacy of this movie

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what is that weirdly determined look on his face did somebody steal his sandwich

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/capybaroness/status/1432347579501760530?s=20

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Dreylad posted:

i think disney stumbled into it with the last jedi, or maybe earlier than that, realized that they could feed their young actors with basically no clout or recourse to whichever side hated the movie, then flipped flopped on which movie would appeal to whom and if you want to get more conspiratorial (but I totally believe it) pay some interns/influencers to go on social media to get mad about the movie to drive engagement over defending it or attacking it

once you hit critical mass then you've got nerds on youtube releasing 8 hour videos on your two hour movie and they'll eat up the next bit of content that seems to be you giving into their consumer demands

mad max fury road was the first time i remember it appearing but i think that was legitimate because it was so minor and everyone just kind of thought it was a joke (also, fury road was a good movie.) last jedi and captain marvel edit: Avengers: Endgame were really obvious attempts at using culture war bullshit to drive engagement. remember those 'defeminized' torrents that showed up out of nowhere, with no one taking responsibility, like a week after the films came out? very obviously a disney inside job.

Horizon Burning has issued a correction as of 07:29 on Sep 1, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Horizon Burning posted:

mad max fury road was the first time i remember it appearing but i think that was legitimate because it was so minor and everyone just kind of thought it was a joke (also, fury road was a good movie.) last jedi and captain marvel edit: Avengers: Endgame were really obvious attempts at using culture war bullshit to drive engagement. remember those 'defeminized' torrents that showed up out of nowhere, with no one taking responsibility, like a week after the films came out? very obviously a disney inside job.

It's more that they don't usually need to astroturf this stuff because there's always SOMEONE out there if you look hard enough, but then you end up seeing a hurricane in a teacup over literally one no-name blog that gets about six hits maximum

The other thing is deleting all comments that have legitimate complaints and leaving up the bigotry

Of course with Star Wars it got funny when TRoS managed to piss off literally everybody by apparently trying to have its cake and eat it too

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
1) While many marketing strategies thrive on controversy and "engagement" is just a manifestation of it, given how well Star Wars worked out for them (or didn't) I'm not sure they were behind that, even with execs being stupid as hell.

2) Not to mention in the case of Star Wars the majority of the hate isn't directed at small time actors like Kelly Marie Tran, it's directed at executive producer Kathleen Kennedy, you'd think they'd avoid that if they could, but it's always possible they started fires they can't put out.

3) As an addendum, when megacorporations are asking for rottentomatoes to implement anti-brigading measures to stem the flood of 10,000 user reviews from people who obviously haven't seen their films before they were released and such, I doubt they are behind that sort of thing. Again, it's always possible they started fires they can't put out.

4) In conclusion, when there are scores of right wing billionaires who will just straight up fund hundreds of thousands of performative shitheads on patreon and straight up create and fund video services for outreach and social media platforms and forums where they can coordinate and direct their attacks, there's really no need to theorize about disney secretly brainstorming the term "little white cuck ball" and making sure it gets turned into an image macro or meme collage for the controversy - there are hundreds of thousands of people who will do that for fun and they're already being subsidized in some form or another by other billionaires so why spend money on it?

Assepoester has issued a correction as of 09:58 on Sep 1, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah

the community controversy around the Saints Row reboot, a middling videogame franchise which hasn't had a release in a decade, is another example of fans being dumbasses organically

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
i'm imagining some nerdy media executive fuming when anti-sjw grifters are mad about some rival media franchise being cucks and not his own

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

The United States posted:

1) While many marketing strategies thrive on controversy and "engagement" is just a manifestation of it, given how well Star Wars worked out for them (or didn't) I'm not sure they were behind that, even with execs being stupid as hell.

disagree. everything about disney's work on star wars is basically a wonderful case study in making bad calls. they thought the brand was infallible. i think disney underestimated how people viewed star wars as a cultural landmark. and the one good thing they did, scrapping the EU and doing something new, fell over inside the first year or so because they basically did a speed run of the worst parts of the old EU. the fact that disney insisted that star wars had no previous stories to draw on (eg. avengers and comic books) and then just did Dark Empire: But Worse is also remarkable.

there's a difference between the little white cuck ball stuff which is just part and parcel of weird 4chan white supremacy poo poo, and the mysterious defeminized torrents of two contentious films that sprung up out ex nihilo, had dozens of think pieces written on them, and the release notes can't even get character names right like it's parodying someone instead of being by one of those someones. there wasn't any after endgame because even then people thought that the second 'chauvinist cut' was satire or parody. which seems to be an odd reason to stop doing that sorta thing if you actually thought that you had to 'defeminize' big-name movies, and weren't doing it as some kind of gambit to stoke the fires of idiots on the internet. "It's not working, people aren't buying it, they think it's a joke."

there's a saint's row reboot?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yep there sure is, the outrage machine has been cranking for a week

See the thing is this isn't exactly organic, and I do agree that it's being manufactured. And in the case of Saints Row, owned by a megaconglomerate (Koch Media/Embracer Group/THQ Nordic) where several higher ups signed off on the idea of doing an AMA on 8chan, the chances of some exec being involved in stirring up the reactionaries is actually rather high.

Horizon Burning posted:

there's a difference between the little white cuck ball stuff which is just part and parcel of weird 4chan white supremacy poo poo, and the mysterious defeminized torrents of two contentious films that sprung up out ex nihilo, had dozens of think pieces written on them, and the release notes can't even get character names right like it's parodying someone instead of being by one of those someones. there wasn't any after endgame because even then people thought that the second 'chauvinist cut' was satire or parody. which seems to be an odd reason to stop doing that sorta thing if you actually thought that you had to 'defeminize' big-name movies, and weren't doing it as some kind of gambit to stoke the fires of idiots on the internet. "It's not working, people aren't buying it, they think it's a joke."
No there's not really a difference, 4chan white supremacy and incel culture and the greater manosphere of misogyny have all intermingled together into one big ball of reactionary rage. Like fanedits popping up "ex nihlo" (whatever that means in this context) isn't strange or uncommon, and if the only purpose of them existing is so thinkpieces can be written about them, then it doesn't matter if "people" think they must be satire, you can still get the thinkpieces written to say whatever you want to say and as long as a torrent exists somewhere you can use a screenshot of it in said thinkpieces.

As I've said, there are hundreds of thousands of these people who have all the time in the world to create this stuff (hell, there must be hundreds of little James Damores working for Disney right now) who are already subsidized and given platforms by every right wing billionaire under the sun and algorithms written and maintained to give them the advantage in the recommends and the trendings and the search results and the hashtags and the end result is a flood of poo poo in order to create the impression there is a groundswell of grassroots reactionary thought and action. This is the astroturf playbook, same as it ever was, updated for the internet age. Like you can't even watch gun videos on youtube without shitheads like this getting recommended to you over and over:

So why would Disney marketing need to pay some editor to make this stuff when the internet nazis will almost invariably do it themselves?

But you're right that I can't rule out executives never being involved in poo poo like this. Perlmutter is still a Disney exec after all, and tight fisted as he is I'm sure he'd love to grease enough palms to direct some internet hate against anyone he thinks wronged him.

yep that's fascist dril himself, Ike Perlmutter

Assepoester has issued a correction as of 12:55 on Sep 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Brooklyn 99 is one of the more insidious pieces of copaganda.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

oh no this youtube spoils the very best moment of the movie so if you're gonna watch it don't click
i already knew about the package spoiler and the explosive spoiler but that was enough motivation to finally watch the damned movie

it's pretty good for a "yeah it definitely sucked to be a woman in the '40s even when/if they had qualifications" first half and a "i am continuing to shout at the screen at these idiots especially now that they're present on-screen so I can feel like I'm shouting directly at them for being 100% the worst morons, every single loving one of them including the main character" sort of situation.

10/10 enjoyed every minute of it, highly recommend Shadow in the Cloud

stringless has issued a correction as of 12:55 on Sep 1, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Idk if Disney is manufacturing fake cuts for drama or paying journalists to write controversial takes (probably, whatever), but their whole schtick lately is basically "neoliberalism, the movie" so it's not surprising there's pushback. There are boatloads of people taking horsepaste and avoiding soy because they're repelled by that stuff

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ill be damned it actually worked

the secret forbidden knowledge of the cspam pop culture thread

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

So the eternals are some kind of gods right? Why is this thumbnail 4 bored people standing in a desert

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mandatory lesbian posted:

So the eternals are some kind of gods right? Why is this thumbnail 4 bored people standing in a desert

one of the things i enjoy most about this sg-1 blind watch im doing is that so much gets explained away quickly by the gou'ald being arrogant pretend gods. just like 'well of course there's no goauld here, there's no monuments to them, they love having people build them monuments'

what im saying is a bunch of gou'ald would never be caught dead standing around bored in a desert

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Horizon Burning posted:

yeah I remember the flare up with fury road, it never got any traction partly because the studio wasn't interested in exploiting it and as you say the movie stands on its own and loving rules

i will say that my theory doesn't rely on disney pushing anti-SJW/anti-woke stuff, it can very easily pay or signal boost a few of the more wild woke takes on some movie or character and let everything develop organically from there. the whole culture wars feeds on itself pretty nicely as Content demands it, I think that's obvious. there is certainly stuff that is out of their control like that mandalorian actor saying some anti-trans stuff or whatever helping ignite a smaller flamewar which just helps because it's not like anyone involved in these online contests isn't going to stop consuming disney content.

I definitely agree there isn't some mastermind play here - I don't really think anyone has that kind of control over the cultural and media landscape, let alone the political one - and "starting fires it can't put out" seems likely to me.

The funniest stuff is the disney fan content creators getting mad at scarlett johansson for suing disney and threatening the flow of content

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Sep 1, 2021

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

Because if we show off what the Eternals are supposed to look like, people might make fun of us

And because they don't want to get into the weird and somewhat racist "ancient aliens" thing that is the core of the comic's plot:

Like, Kirby himself was not a racist guy, and a lot of this Erich von Däniken stuff was just in the public consciousness in the 70s, but it's still not great when the plot is about an evil race of degenerates battling Aryan supermen. Easily cured by making some of the Eternals PoC, and much more an example of the blindspots which didn't really occur to people 50 years ago than any deliberate malice.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

It looks exactly like saints row 3, but in a desert. The most upsetting thing here is that the shortest video is 7:04 long. 7 minutes about a trailer which showed off 1 out of 3 gangs, 3 homies and what I assume is the player character in a neon desert city

I can barely talk for one minute about that trailer, and I have strong feelings about every post-3 SR game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

I don't even get this because I think the character I created for SR3 was a low res version of that