Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Caesar Saladin posted:

i'm playing psychonauts 2 and it seems well made and interesting enough but i don't see what all the fuss is about, all the dialogue sounds like it comes from a nickelodeon cartoon

Right, but I mean we just had a 5 page blow up about how writing in computer games is universally bad. Saying it's as high quality as a Nickelodeon cartoon is actually high praise. And not just in an ironic way, either, the Nickelodeon you're referring to was basically the high water mark of kids tv.

I think that's the issue really, when it's done well it's just like "Oh, this is only as good as a TV show" because we're used to those being of a high standard. At that level, you compare it to other, well-written things, like TV, so it just falls into the 'normal' bracket. So the payoff for having writing in your game that is good enough to air on TV is "This just sounds like TV, what's the fuss".

Bad take: I actually think Cyberpunk is fun, but I think it would be much much much better if you never had a gun. Maybe that isn't controversial, actually, I dunno, but if it was just '>Observer_' with that engine, those characters/actors and that world, it would be fuckin' coooooool.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Imagine a sphere around your character. Time works the same way On the far side is a crosshair and on the near side is a camera.

With default controls, you're pushing the crosshair around, so right makes it go right, down makes it go down.

With inverted controls you're orbiting the camera around. It's on the opposite side of the sphere, so moving it to the right makes the camera look to the left of the character and down puts it below the character and looking up at the sky.

So neither's right or wrong, it's just whether you prefer to control the camera or the crosshair.

Although having to switch controllers around did suck, because there are some people who use a mix of default and inverted. Even worse are the sick freaks who use the GoldenEye controls where you use the right stick to look up and down and strafe left and right, even after dual analogue was standard.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

That loving Sned posted:

Imagine a sphere around your character. Time works the same way On the far side is a crosshair and on the near side is a camera.

With default controls, you're pushing the crosshair around, so right makes it go right, down makes it go down.

With inverted controls you're orbiting the camera around. It's on the opposite side of the sphere, so moving it to the right makes the camera look to the left of the character and down puts it below the character and looking up at the sky.

So neither's right or wrong, it's just whether you prefer to control the camera or the crosshair.

Although having to switch controllers around did suck, because there are some people who use a mix of default and inverted. Even worse are the sick freaks who use the GoldenEye controls where you use the right stick to look up and down and strafe left and right, even after dual analogue was standard.

Right, and I think there's probably something in whether you want to control the camera - because you feel physically immersed to the extent that the controls are controlling 'you'.

Or not, you're not physically immersed, and you're controlling what is happening on the screen.

Inverted players, do you also lean left and right and tilt the controller when you go round corners in racing games?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I was inverted for a long time until I started playing the original System Shock a bunch of years ago which forced me to switch. Since then I'm non-inverted, but found I can switch between fairly easily.

!Klams posted:

Inverted players, do you also lean left and right and tilt the controller when you go round corners in racing games?
After playing a lot of VR over the years I do find myself moving my body playing flatscreen games more. There's also footage of me as a kid playing a Master System where I'm waving the controller around. So I guess yes?

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 1, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

!Klams posted:

Bad take: I actually think Cyberpunk is fun, but I think it would be much much much better if you never had a gun. Maybe that isn't controversial, actually, I dunno, but if it was just '>Observer_' with that engine, those characters/actors and that world, it would be fuckin' coooooool.

this is a pretty bad take yea, the best part of cyberpunk was walking through the front door of a megacorp and sighing before drawing your samurai sword, then running and gunning through it as your max hp slowly ticked down and the ammo ran dry. it was the perfect stage, designed to be played by munchkin-rear end max level characters.

the talky parts of cyberpunk were about as hamfisted as the talky parts of a modern fallout game. certainly nothing i would play an entire game of.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Psychonauts 2 is freakin great. Looks awesome, plays awesome, has awesome set pieces and stories what more needs be said

itry
Aug 23, 2019

!Klams posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZM2jXyvGOc

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Shooting and killing is the most boring part in most games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
shooting and killing in a video game CAN get boring. so too does not shooting and killing. in excess, balanity. balance in all things

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Fur20 posted:

shooting and killing in a video game CAN get boring. so too does not shooting and killing. in excess, balanity. balance in all things

It depends on the game.

There's Disco Elysium, where some people complained it's not an RPG because you don't get to kill mobs, even though that wouldn't fit the game design or narrative at all. Adding mobs will make the game worse or so different as to be a completely different game.
And I think there's a version of Cyberpunk where having less people to shoot would be appropriate. Probably a version that's not open world and is structured more like the first Dishonored. A version where The Heist quest line is actually demonstrative of the final product.

You don't have to insert shooting into a game to fill some balance quota, is what I'm getting at.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

edit: it might be the japanese voice acting that throws me off because I played Judgement in English and thoroughly loved it

I always :rolleyes: at people insisting you should play Like A Dragon with subtitles instead of the English dub. The English dub has some of the best voice acting work I’ve seen in a game in general and there’s a bunch of moments at the end of the game that just wouldn’t land half as well if I was reading subtitles and missing all the emotion the VA’s managed to get into the lines.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

itry posted:

You don't have to insert shooting into a game to fill some balance quota, is what I'm getting at.

hell, i also think a wolfenstein game drags, and a lot of rpgs too. and there are a LOT of lovely rpgs that drag, and i played them happily. even @#*$^& inindo.

you don't need shootmans, so don't take my statement about that completely literally, but what i mean to say is that you need variety of some sort. jrpgs started putting in minigames: fishing, navigate-the-maze-with-bad-controls, card games of varying levels of quality, maybe some stupid trading poo poo, and in suikoden 2 they had that fantastic iron chef game.

the ones that worked--suikoden and final fantasy--simply provided them as alternative activities. the ones that didn't--breath of fire 3 i'm looking at you--required you to get extremely good at every lovely minigame they threw at you, in order to progress the story :eng99:

the danger is, if you don't have unpaid interns, this consumes an absolutely MASSIVE amount of development resources.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 1, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Fur20 posted:

hell, i also think a wolfenstein game drags, and a lot of rpgs too. and there are a LOT of lovely rpgs that drag, and i played them happily. even @#*$^& inindo.

you don't need shootmans, so don't take my statement about that completely literally, but what i mean to say is that you need variety of some sort. jrpgs started putting in minigames: fishing, navigate-the-maze-with-bad-controls, card games of varying levels of quality, maybe some stupid trading poo poo, and in suikoden 2 they had that fantastic iron chef game.

the ones that worked--suikoden and final fantasy--simply provided them as alternative activities. the ones that didn't--breath of fire 3 i'm looking at you--required you to get extremely good at every lovely minigame they threw at you, in order to progress the story :eng99:

the danger is, if you don't have unpaid interns, this consumes an absolutely MASSIVE amount of development resources.

Oh man, yeah. Also Doom (2016) was good, but about two thirds of the way through I was ready for it to be over.

Minigames can be good on their own sometimes. Like FF8 has TT which is pretty fun, and is even tied into other game mechanics. Still doesn't make the high random encounter rate better. Talking about a drag.

Edit: Speaking of Doom, it has some small variety in the exploration and collectibles. But mostly it's just an arena shooter.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
That's why doom eternal was better

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Every video game would be improved by letting you double jump

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

flavor.flv posted:

Every video game would be improved by letting you double jump

every game should have a triple jump and glide move like Alice: Madness Returns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSUj8Bpbp8Y

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I always :rolleyes: at people insisting you should play Like A Dragon with subtitles instead of the English dub. The English dub has some of the best voice acting work I’ve seen in a game in general and there’s a bunch of moments at the end of the game that just wouldn’t land half as well if I was reading subtitles and missing all the emotion the VA’s managed to get into the lines.

I dunno. I played it with subtitles and I think I got all the emotion going on - it's so over the loving top that it is impossible to miss.

I did try switching to the english VA a couple of times during, but it really just sounded incredibly corny and mid-budget. Some of that will be setting/familiarity dissonance, but they didn't think about the characters when they were casting and directing. They don't sound right for their personalities, and the emote in generic ways.

People keep saying the dub of LAD is an example of a good one but it isn't. Bebop's an example of a good one. LAD is just an example of one.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

!Klams posted:

Right, and I think there's probably something in whether you want to control the camera - because you feel physically immersed to the extent that the controls are controlling 'you'.

Or not, you're not physically immersed, and you're controlling what is happening on the screen.

Alien: Isolation actually did this with the Kinect on Xbox One. It didn't really surface that it was doing it, but it made things pretty cool and intense when Amanda was using your body language as she hid and peeked around corners and such. And the Xenomorph could hear you if you coughed or something, too.

This is the only fantastic use of the Kinect I can think of.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Having a sensible chuckle remembering the Xbox Kinect.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
kbob kinect navigate to e-six-two-one-dot-net

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

Hello friends who would like to play me in a game of Eye of Judgement.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I invert Y 100% of the time and I actually spend a few minutes in games pausing and unpausing turning invert-X on and off trying to figure out which one feels comfortable.

Witcher 3 was a while ago but it was one that really took me a while going back and forth. It always felt uncomfortable either way. Probably Witcher 3 is just a little clumsy to move around in general.

I have no reasoning or justification Re: envisioning it as a tripod or floating camera or what. My dad was a pilot though and played flight sims all the time in my young years so that’s probably got a lot to do with it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Playing PC space combat sims (X-Wing, Space Rogue, Wing Commander) as a child has warped my mind to the point where the Y-axis needs to be inverted for the camera at all times even if it's not a space combat sim.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't invert anything. I just rotate everything 90 degrees.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Meme Poker Party posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

!Klams posted:

Right, but I mean we just had a 5 page blow up about how writing in computer games is universally bad. Saying it's as high quality as a Nickelodeon cartoon is actually high praise. And not just in an ironic way, either, the Nickelodeon you're referring to was basically the high water mark of kids tv.

Do you really use children's cartoons as your personal gold standard for quality writing

I mean I liked Rugrats and Doug as much as the next kid but they were not in any sense well-written, even as a child I knew that what I was watching was trash lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

Do you really use children's cartoons as your personal gold standard for quality writing

I mean I liked Rugrats and Doug as much as the next kid but they were not in any sense well-written, even as a child I knew that what I was watching was trash lol

Doug I'll give you but a lot of Rugrats has aged pretty well. Cartoons aren't just all cheap garbage to sell toys like they were in the 80s anymore, and not like grown-up TV is written to any higher standards aside from being allowed to have people die and have sex. I mean, look at all the poo poo your parents watch.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Adults watching cartoons is weird as gently caress.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

QuarkJets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_94BH9k_7a8

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

...this character is supposed to be 33 years old

Nov 24, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

Hello friends who would like to play me in a game of Eye of Judgement.

Everyone remembers Giant Enemy Crab, Riiidge Racer, $599.

What people don't remember is Sony PR telling games journalists "At Sony we don't do gimmicks" in reference to the Wiimote, less than an hour before the reveal of Eye Of Judgement.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doug I'll give you but a lot of Rugrats has aged pretty well. Cartoons aren't just all cheap garbage to sell toys like they were in the 80s anymore, and not like grown-up TV is written to any higher standards aside from being allowed to have people die and have sex. I mean, look at all the poo poo your parents watch.

Yes but you're holding everything to a really low bar if "Better Than A 20-minute Toy Commercial" is the qualifier for what's well-written

It turns out that almost all writing is trash imo

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Pathologic 2 has good writing for a game and anyone who likes Disco Elysium should give it a look.

I also like the writing in Jeff Vogel's games like Geneforge and Nethergate. It's not Hemingway but I like it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm not saying that Nickelodeon writing in Psychonauts is bad, its just that Nickelodeon writing is aimed at 10 year olds and I'm not one of them. It does seem like a good game, I just find the dialogue a bit grating at times and there is a lot of it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bob's Bottles is a very well written level. :colbert:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gaius Marius posted:

Its whatever but adults making it a part of their identity is a bit strange to me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Goons got mad when I said the guy from nier automata sounded like a ninja turtle, but he totally does.

Adults who are way into cartoons/anime have this otherworldly metric of what qualifies as good voice acting and writing from watching that poo poo so much, so they don't notice how dumb all of the grunting and middle school brooding would sound to an outsider.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its whatever but adults making it a part of their identity is a bit strange to me

drawing fanart should stop at age 11

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Brave thing to say on a forum full of (wo)men-children.

Jokes aside, I feel this way only when it comes for stuff obviously made for children like Steven Universe or My Little Pony, and people who watch it when not high/drunk off their rear end. Stuff made for teenagers or slightly younger than that I can understand, cause there's a little more to grab on to there and I think its the same appeal as Xena or Buffy when that stuff was airing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its a pretty silly thing to say though because there's stuff like Archer, Life and Times of Tim, King of the Hill etc