Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Speculum bucket.

edit: wow just an amazing snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Not any of the self administered tests afaik.

That's the point I was aiming at. If you've only ever seen / had done the ones that go balls deep up your nose*, you can't imagine self-administering those.

[*: Which is not a phrase I thought I'd type this morning or any morning, but... ]

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

bell jar posted:

keyboard goop

No

Zil posted:

Speculum bucket.

Also, No.

These are both bad posts, and you both should feel bad.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

sfwarlock posted:

If you've only ever seen / had done the ones that go balls deep up your nose*, you can't imagine self-administering those.

not with that attitude, you can't.

I believe in every goons' ability to stick things in places they shouldn't

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Hi my Outlook keeps telling me that my OST is corrupted"
"Ok I can see that you have it set to cache everything locally and you have a mailbox that's over 50GB in size, how about we just cache the last six months of mail?"
"No I need to cache it all"

Can't help you man, sorry. Not spending time on it, the fix is to use the software according to best practises.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have a new accounting VP. He used to be a VP at a bank. He brought with him and imported into his Outlook about 100 gigs of PST files from the bank. My tech said that there was a lot of personal banking info in this emails.

Good times.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

GreenNight posted:

We have a new accounting VP. He used to be a VP at a bank. He brought with him and imported into his Outlook about 100 gigs of PST files from the bank. My tech said that there was a lot of personal banking info in this emails.

Good times.

Wait. He brought an export of his mail from his old job? I bet the bank's security department would love to hear about that.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

VPs are like that. It's insane.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bonzo posted:

Wait. He brought an export of his mail from his old job? I bet the bank's security department would love to hear about that.

Yeah that actually seems like something Legal should get involved in asap. I'm sure they'd love to hear all about confidential banking details now stored on the company's servers.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Aside from legal concerns, the clean slate is my favourite thing about starting a new job. Can't imagine wanting to import old headaches from a previous job

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I am starting a new job in a couple of months, it's an internal move but it means I will start using my secondary email account as my primary and just ditch the primary... practically nothing useful goes to my secondary email account so literally this morning I just went 'ctrl + a, delete'

It felt so good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Yeah that actually seems like something Legal should get involved in asap. I'm sure they'd love to hear all about confidential banking details now stored on the company's servers.

The CFO knows and just shrugged his shoulders. We don't have a legal department.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i wonder what kind of confidential info he’ll take from your company when he leaves

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

He's being groomed to take over as CFO when the current guy retires.

He's actually a super nice guy and is very pro-IT, but my boss and my bosses boss said to drop it, so ok yes sir.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GreenNight posted:

He's actually a super nice guy and is very pro-IT, but my boss and my bosses boss said to drop it, so ok yes sir.

Could said bank do anything to find out about it if they got some kind of anonymous tip in these situations?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RFC2324 posted:

Could said bank do anything to find out about it if they got some kind of anonymous tip in these situations?

Yeah, wouldn't the CFO be looking at felony charges for a willful breach like this?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yeah, I think SOX auditors would be very interested in hearing about a massive data exfil like that.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GreenNight posted:

i'm not much of a "business knower" but shouldn't a cfo take data security a little more seriously than that

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GreenNight posted:

You got that in writing, yeah?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Aside from legal concerns, the clean slate is my favourite thing about starting a new job. Can't imagine wanting to import old headaches from a previous job

One of the very first "basement" software companies I worked for tasked me with trying to crack a copy of the new sales guy's ACT Database that be brought over from his old job.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

That's the point I was aiming at. If you've only ever seen / had done the ones that go balls deep up your nose*, you can't imagine self-administering those.

[*: Which is not a phrase I thought I'd type this morning or any morning, but... ]

Perhaps it doesn't help that the swab that comes with most tests is certainly long enough to do a nasalpharyngal swab

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

You got that in writing, yeah?

Oh yeah. I emailed it in great detail to my boss.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GreenNight posted:

Oh yeah. I emailed it in great detail to my boss.

Download each mail in the chain, zip them all up in one encrypted archive with an unrelated name, and email that to a personal address. When poo poo hits the fan you'll be covered if someone tries to delete creatively.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My manager who's been here for all of 6 months is leaving. I've only been here 9 months and I'm a little worried they might want me to replace him. His position did not sound like a fun job

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
One of the people on our pager duty rota got covid so one of my guys wanted to have a go at covering it and as ever, someone called for something non-emergency which isn't supposed to happen.

I guess listening to someone getting that call, rather than just rolling my eyes and dealing with it, offered me a new perspective as I kinda went "thats really dumb, lets try and do something about it"

I suggested to the team in our huddle can we put an auto attendant on the number the guys ring so it says 'this is for emergencies, please have duty manager authorisation and please leave a voicemail if no one answers and someone will return your call in 30 mins' (basically follow the process you idiots)

I am typically guilty of err'ing on the over engineering side of things so I was a bit anxious that I'd get a few eye rolls but everyone said "yes we want that!" I was quite please it was well received. Hopefully that makes that job a bit less painful.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
All the ACs failed at a remote site because of flooding.

...the foot of water will help cool the equipment. That's how this works, right?

Believe it or not, our loving champion of a facilities guy managed to keep the place running without any service interruptions.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Renegret posted:

All the ACs failed at a remote site because of flooding.

...the foot of water will help cool the equipment. That's how this works, right?

Believe it or not, our loving champion of a facilities guy managed to keep the place running without any service interruptions.

Give that man a raise

Weedle
May 31, 2006

a ticket came in: they want to show back to the future at the middle school sock hop. this was my response

quote:

I spoke to [librarian] about this; her understanding is that we would need to license the film from the rightsholder. There is a company called “Swank” that licenses a catalog of films, including BTTF, for performance at K-12 schools. They don’t offer a la carte licensing, only the full catalog, and according to the price sheet it would cost us $1,000 for a one-year term. If you want to look into licensing just BTTF directly from Universal, which may be cheaper, you can contact Michael.Daruty@nbcuni.com and see what they have to offer.

Legal matters aside, are you planning to show the entire film? Recall that a pivotal scene during the school dance portion of the film is the assault and attempted rape of Marty’s teenaged mom by Biff Tannen. The vibes could get weird.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I would bet money that my schools in the 80's and 90's never bothered to get rights to anything like that, music/movie or otherwise. I suppose it makes sense they'd have to, but I wonder how many bother? I'm staying out of the last part of your email because that's certainly not a subject I'd broach in IT.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

For real, they gonna sue a middle school?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
We watched Leprechaun in 5th grade. It was awesome.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GreenNight posted:

Are you familiar with the RIAA? MPAA laid the groundwork for that insanity, iirc

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Just when it comes to Napster. Also speaking of which, gently caress Metallica.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GreenNight posted:

lol if you think they wouldn't

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I actually think they wouldn't.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I think it would depend a lot on if they found out. They're not monitoring school newsletters or anything to go looking for such things, but if they found out via some means they might at least send a threatening letter.

Actually suing it would probably have to be something like "school sold tickets to the general public" kind of deal. Or not, depending on how evil they were feeling that day I guess.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The classics are the best.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sickening posted:

The classics are the best.

I remember the gist of a reply to the first time this was posted, that they just imagined this machine free floating and pushing itself around in the water with the fan like a propeller. Thbtbtbbtbtbtbt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GreenNight posted:

i doubt it, but i was specifically asked about rights and i'm not going to say "yeah that's fine, go ahead" when i know it's not. anyway they decided not to do the movie after all. the wally reflector works again

as for my content concerns, i suppose it's none of my business, but the plan was to have the film playing silently while a dj plays '50s rock and roll, and the mental image of biff pulling up her dress with his hand over her mouth while some old bill haley rear end "hoppin at the sock hop tonite" song plays was unsettling to say the least, and we'd probably hear about it from some families. i just wanted to make sure the folks planning this event knew what they were getting into and didn't just pick bttf because "the fifties!"

Weedle fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 2, 2021