Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Another study out with the same estimate of a 4.5 million death toll in India.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Churchill would be so jealous.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/stuartpalley/status/1431420278018428930?s=20
https://twitter.com/stuartpalley/status/1431423498476425222?s=20

Wildfire smoke is horrendous and it's terrifying to imagine getting COVID after breathing it for extended periods

on the one hand this is terrible, on the other hand i can't wait to see chuds that had existing respiratory PPE requirements for work stop using them or taking OSHA to court over them because they're not sheep and promptly dying from shitlung

same with places that already had non-covid vax requirements like the military, who's ready for the measles covid smallpox hyperpandemic

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

spaceblancmange posted:

Another study out with the same estimate of a 4.5 million death toll in India.

Those are rookie numbers. America is going to go for the high score with delta.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

spaceblancmange posted:

give paste a chance

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Petey posted:

*seagull inhaling*

i do think that her ~2006-2016 work on social media, and 2017 book on networked social movements that followed that work, is quite good. she won several of the top awards on the field. but since the ted talk and book, imho her portfolio has taken more of the public intellectual turn, which is not necessarily bad, but puts different demands on you, and responds to different criteria and standards. i still think she's worth reading, generally, and i still assign her old scholarly work, but yeah, i have been disappointed that she's gone the nate silver trajectory on this one

this was all really insightful, thank you!

I feel like I need a solid few thousand word profile in the Atlantic or something to really get to Oster levels of armchair crowing about why she is so loving this up, though. the Times column focused too much on her competent work

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Spoondick posted:

saw a maskless woman in costco pick her nose, eat the booger while sucking on her fingers for a good 5 seconds, then pick up several products to look at them before putting them back on the shelf

free samples

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

etalian posted:

The problem being a CSPAM poster is when they ask for the mandatory vaccination cards, the CSPAM poster will have to ask which ones?

For moderna, Pfizer, J+J or Sinovac?

gently caress, I should have brought my binder

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Real Mean Queen posted:

gently caress, I should have brought my binder

binders fulla vaxxes

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The current fatality rate for COVID appears to be about ~1.6%. Assuming this number is right and nothing causes it to rise or fall if it infected everyone in America exactly once we would be looking at over 5.3 million dead. But that's okay, 1.6% is pretty low so it won't happen to me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol wtf I got blocked by Zeynep Tufekci

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Imagine being so liberal that you think any of this is Trump’s fault.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mod sassinator posted:

lmfao biden doing the thing trump actually warned about... "Mr. FDA director if these vaccines aren't approved right now you are FIRED!", back in december: https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-business-mark-meadows-coronavirus-pandemic-0902fbb041b0459e55da86be75b1457a

biden whitehouse still using the trump playbook

always has been, only difference is that trump was the first one dumb enough to say what was in the playbook out loud

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

on the one hand this is terrible, on the other hand i can't wait to see chuds that had existing respiratory PPE requirements for work stop using them or taking OSHA to court over them because they're not sheep and promptly dying from shitlung

same with places that already had non-covid vax requirements like the military, who's ready for the measles covid smallpox hyperpandemic

Underwater welder dudes all going down without SCUBA gear and refusing to come back up for air because they’re stuck between the weird “I have to do my job” thing and the “no one should ever wear any mask” thing so they just die

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

the peak lines up well enough that i do buy that the half rear end mask mandate was enough to curb the further spread of delta in king county. i think this is true even with only the modest increases in compliance i saw after it went into effect. it's kind of hilarious how effective masks are.

I honestly wonder how much is "the masks" and how much is people thinking everything is fine and dandy until "oh poo poo statewide mask mandate" and get appropriately nervous again

wonder what the opentable reservations look like in comparison

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Zurtilik posted:

The current fatality rate for COVID appears to be about ~1.6%. Assuming this number is right and nothing causes it to rise or fall if it infected everyone in America exactly once we would be looking at over 5.3 million dead. But that's okay, 1.6% is pretty low so it won't happen to me.

I'm going to assume that this is the fatality rate when hospitals are around to get people through the worst of it. When those fill up and we have shortages or labor and materiel, it'll be more.

Also the new variants have adapted to those with vaccines and people who assume that vaccine equals safety are going to get run over at some point too because the government byline will have lulled them into complacency.

The government was right. It will be endemic for a while. But that's a choice that they're making for us because they want to keep the economy going at all costs. Including the deaths of millions and very possibly tens of millions of people just in the US alone. We also can't live with covid long term. It kills us way faster than we can adapt to it and weakens us with every new mutation.

We lost patience with sheltering in place. Some think it's a conspiracy. Others desperately want to go back to brunch. We're a year and a half in and there has been a complete and utter failure to tackle covid as a social problem. We're in the transitory stage where covid beats us the gently caress up for a while until we start figuring out how to solve the social problems. Conspiracy minded and brunch minded people are both going to get run over by covid.

The only way we get rid of covid is to no longer allow it access to our respiratory systems. All other methods are temporary and insufficient stopgaps that will only prolong the inevitable.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 1, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I mean, I assume 1.6% is optimistic, I was just working fast, dirty numbers with some quick googling.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol wtf I got blocked by Zeynep Tufekci

lol

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Dr John needs to close comments on his videos

Any good he's doing is undone by the insanity in the comments

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Am I the only person who's bothered by how the vaccine efficacy numbers are presented?

What we currently know: 2 groups of 100 people, one vaxxed, one not, are observed over a period of time. After this period, 20 unvaxxed people pop positive, 1 vaxxed person does.

This seems to be presented to people as "95% of people who are vaxxed will *never* get anything ever" when that's really not it at all? For all we know, those 200 people in the trial were all masking and social distancing properly, in fact we assume that both groups are doing so at the same rate, but you're not going to get the same out come in a group of people who are just out doing covid bukakke all day every day. We know that infection instances and viral loads(heh) are a thing

It's more like you had a pistol that you played russian roulette with once every day, and the vaccine replaced it with a pistol that has 20 times as may cylinders. Good, but if you now start pulling the trigger 100x a day just for giggles, well what outcome are you expecting?

I know that subsequent observational studies seem to suggest that the actual level of protection is closer to 95% than not, at least with respect to hospitalization and death, but it still bugs me.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

"I just keep thinking, 'What if America had gotten smarter instead of dumber? Would things be not so stupid today?'.

I lie awake and obsess about this."

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Zurtilik posted:

I mean, I assume 1.6% is optimistic, I was just working fast, dirty numbers with some quick googling.

That's fair.

I don't assume everyone in the US is going to get exposed, no matter what the government says. But for every person we lose to covid we'll lose more from secondary effects. People unable to cope with cyclical bouts of misery for example. If we lose ten million to covid we're likely to slow bleed at least half as many people from the horror. Not immediately, but in drips and drabs from suicide, drug overdose and the like.

We can't socially absorb those kinds of shocks over and over again. Where every six to twelve months we just have another unraveling of our social structure. Because if we keep doing this Open Biden poo poo, that's what it's going to be. We'll be even more stressed out than the lockdowns and with more dead as a result. Maybe if covid just got a pass or two at us like with Spanish Flu where it just deleted 10% of the world's population over a couple years and then faded out we could do it. You can cope with horror if it's relatively brief. But covid isn't looking like it'll be brief. It'll be endemic like the flu. We're supposed to "live with it". Until we finally decide that we can't live with it. And that's going to take time for a consensus to be reached as to whether that happens or not.

China is correct. Zero covid is the only sane choice.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 1, 2021

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

It's probably lower, largely because the US is still missing a large number of cases. Wonder if contact tracing and testing capacity in Australia is going to keep up with the current outbreak, as it might provide a good high statistics estimate of infection fatality rate for delta. The basic problem is that places with the ability to track down every case, including asymptomatic ones, tend to not have many cases, seems like a bit of a catch-22.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
when they ask for your vaccine card

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 1, 2021

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1432780407485964296

honor system will surely work this time

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm going to assume that this is the fatality rate when hospitals are around to get people through the worst of it. When those fill up and we have shortages or labor and materiel, it'll be more.

Also the new variants have adapted to those with vaccines and people who assume that vaccine equals safety are going to get run over at some point too because the government byline will have lulled them into complacency.

The government was right. It will be endemic for a while. But that's a choice that they're making for us because they want to keep the economy going at all costs. Including the deaths of millions and very possibly tens of millions of people just in the US alone. We also can't live with covid long term. It kills us way faster than we can adapt to it and weakens us with every new mutation.

We lost patience with sheltering in place. Some think it's a conspiracy. Others desperately want to go back to brunch. We're a year and a half in and there has been a complete and utter failure to tackle covid as a social problem. We're in the transitory stage where covid beats us the gently caress up for a while until we start figuring out how to solve the social problems. Conspiracy minded and brunch minded people are both going to get run over by covid.

The only way we get rid of covid is to no longer allow it access to our respiratory systems. All other methods are temporary and insufficient stopgaps that will only prolong the inevitable.

Fatality rate for covid among the general population in new Jersey, and later the us, about this time last year was about 1/600

That's covid fatalities divided by the entire population, not just known positive covid rates

Deltas morbidity rate is probably artificially low because OG covid already took out an enormous chunk of marginally healthy older people living in assisted care facilities, and it will take a decade for those populations to grow back

Would not surprise me if overall rate floats down to 1/400 which I guess is about 0.25%

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

My governor went to Kentucky to try to learn about what is going right and wrong there w/r/t a delta surge so that maybe we do things better here. In publicity photos he was wearing a cloth mask.

He cancelled meetings today because he “isn’t feeling well and will get tested for COVID”

Lol learn to not travel and wear a respirator dude

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Just watched the latest Campbell video. I guess that's it? Let everyone get it and hope the vaccines hold up against future variants? I mean, that's clearly what we're doing here as well. Testing sites are closing, the automatic lockdown system has been scrapped and coronapass will no longer be required.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sending this to my fellow parents of small children telling them this means they need to cancel their LD vacation plans and ruining their day (until they rationalize this doesn't apply to them and go any way)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I don't get it I said "shouldn't" right there in the statement

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Just watched the latest Campbell video. I guess that's it? Let everyone get it and hope the vaccines hold up against future variants? I mean, that's clearly what we're doing here as well. Testing sites are closing, the automatic lockdown system has been scrapped and coronapass will no longer be required.

Lol Denmark.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

Am I the only person who's bothered by how the vaccine efficacy numbers are presented?

What we currently know: 2 groups of 100 people, one vaxxed, one not, are observed over a period of time. After this period, 20 unvaxxed people pop positive, 1 vaxxed person does.

This seems to be presented to people as "95% of people who are vaxxed will *never* get anything ever" when that's really not it at all? For all we know, those 200 people in the trial were all masking and social distancing properly, in fact we assume that both groups are doing so at the same rate, but you're not going to get the same out come in a group of people who are just out doing covid bukakke all day every day. We know that infection instances and viral loads(heh) are a thing

It's more like you had a pistol that you played russian roulette with once every day, and the vaccine replaced it with a pistol that has 20 times as may cylinders. Good, but if you now start pulling the trigger 100x a day just for giggles, well what outcome are you expecting?

I know that subsequent observational studies seem to suggest that the actual level of protection is closer to 95% than not, at least with respect to hospitalization and death, but it still bugs me.

you're right to suspect that the framing of the vaccine effectiveness numbers are... problematic, but it's kinda complicated

you can't really test your "chance to get infected" short of deliberately trying to infect someone and seeing if it takes, but that's a really ethically fraught step to take (or at least, you'd think so)

so instead, you do the process you describe above, and hope that your sample population is large enough and diverse enough that "what if people are just being really careful?" comes out in the wash

but even if you do that, trying to measure "chance of infection" also requires that you regularly and constantly and proactively test your subjects, because asymptomatic infections are a thing, and if you're only testing people when they volunteer themselves or if they develop symptoms, you're going to get fooled. and this is probably the part where these studies falter

in contrast, we have a much better grasp on how much vaccines reduce "chance of requiring hospitalization", because it's a lot easier to segregate groups of people who are "infected, do not need hospitalization" and "infected, requires hospitalization" without putting too many people in the former group. Although this still requires constant testing, but less than if you were trying to catch infections

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mola Yam posted:

why are dead people still coming to the factory

hypercapitalism

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Mola Yam posted:

why are dead people still coming to the factory

for the tax deduction

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
John Campbell saying Germany was giving up on mass testing by next month is pretty surprising. At some point that's going to be pushed hard here and I guess the few still working from home have that end

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I mean at this point you can basically just draw meaningful conclusions from macro-level data. The vaccine is very good against infection, but not sterilizing, for about 5 months, so you should wear a mask. After 5 months it gets worse, so wear a mask and also probably limit exposure to large groups of people indoors. Probably get a booster. Maybe it gets better when a Delta variant vaccine comes out.

The vaccine has always been great against hospitalization, but there is a chance you could get breakthrough so follow points above.

I mean that’s basically it. The only calculus left is if boosters or a delta specific vaccine somehow get to long term sterilizing/near sterilizing immunity, if they provide enough infection resistance to get through winter periods, and if boosting every 6-12 months is safe. I guess it could also be looked at if something like novavax reduces the risk of myocarditis as a side effect.

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
this week's update

that lime green line lol

but they stopped archiving the old forecasts a few weeks ago :iiam:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/forecasting/forecasting-us-cases-previous.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

it is september 2021, the cdc says don't travel

it is july 2021, the cdc says open er up

it is march 2020, the cdc says don't travel

it is september 2020, the cdc says open er up

it is december 2020, the cdc says don't travel