Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Fluxx is weird because whenever I've played with kids they immediately get how to play and love it. But when I've tried to teach adults, I've had multiple instances of them taking a long time to grok it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SkyeAuroline posted:

How the hell do I become a proactive player with an imagination? I don't even know where to start.
I can expand further if needed, I don't want to turn this into a half-page ramble right off the bat.

This is a place where I think a lot of traditional RPGs hinder rather than help. I've had this problem before and I would not say that I have solved it but I would say that I've gotten better at a personal level, and what I did was learn from the fields of writing and acting what is to have a motivated character.

And this is generally where I try to start my character writing, before I even get to the question of "street samurai" or "angel" or whatever: what do I want this character to lack. What void inside the character needs to be filled (community? recognition? safety?), and what flaw does this lead to. Ideally a general emotion, like they're resentful, or insecure, or squeamish, or proud. Not something as specific as "acquire the Eye of Argon," but something that would inform you about how they'd react to a range of situations. This is all pretty much a straight line that leads into the character taking action in the world, because if the GM isn't giving the character something to react to, they still have an internal reserve of fuel for why they'd try to show off or knock somebody else down or go spoiling for a fight.

Why I start with the fictional psychology of the character has as much to do with variety as expressiveness. Let's say we've got an insecure character who wants recognition from others. This is going to lead naturally into showboating, but also going to lead to reasons to slay great beasts, to steal famous jewels, to lock horns with famous people, and even to save the needful. Compare this to a character that simply 'likes to show off' and has a bunch of ranks in some sort of performance skill. That latter, which I've definitely done (and not even that long ago!) runs out of steam pretty quickly, even if a lot of what's on the character sheet is the same stuff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Have you tried Settlers of Catan?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Tulip posted:

This is a place where I think a lot of traditional RPGs hinder rather than help. I've had this problem before and I would not say that I have solved it but I would say that I've gotten better at a personal level, and what I did was learn from the fields of writing and acting what is to have a motivated character.

And this is generally where I try to start my character writing, before I even get to the question of "street samurai" or "angel" or whatever: what do I want this character to lack. What void inside the character needs to be filled (community? recognition? safety?), and what flaw does this lead to. Ideally a general emotion, like they're resentful, or insecure, or squeamish, or proud. Not something as specific as "acquire the Eye of Argon," but something that would inform you about how they'd react to a range of situations. This is all pretty much a straight line that leads into the character taking action in the world, because if the GM isn't giving the character something to react to, they still have an internal reserve of fuel for why they'd try to show off or knock somebody else down or go spoiling for a fight.

Why I start with the fictional psychology of the character has as much to do with variety as expressiveness. Let's say we've got an insecure character who wants recognition from others. This is going to lead naturally into showboating, but also going to lead to reasons to slay great beasts, to steal famous jewels, to lock horns with famous people, and even to save the needful. Compare this to a character that simply 'likes to show off' and has a bunch of ranks in some sort of performance skill. That latter, which I've definitely done (and not even that long ago!) runs out of steam pretty quickly, even if a lot of what's on the character sheet is the same stuff.

This is amazingly good advice and I'm totally going to be integrating it into my characters from now on, thank you!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Tulip posted:

This is such good advice, A++. Burning Wheel is excellent for training you to make characters along these lines, because before you can leave character creation you need to have three Beliefs that state things they believe in strongly enough to define them as a person, and the immediate thing that each of those Beliefs is driving them to do and for which you as a player will get rewarded with metacurrency for pursuing. You write yourself into a position to be proactive because you know what this person needs more than anything else, and what they're fixin' to do to get it right now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

Have you tried Settlers of Catan?
I do my best character work as sheep trader

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

I do my best character work as sheep trader

oops lol was on the board game response

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I have played kind of an absurd amount of F&B since my first half-baked attempt on Saturday and I really like it more and more as I figure out cool ways to use the cards. There's a lot going on in there but some of it is weirdly half-baked, like the idea of Intellect altogether - are there any heroes right now that don't have 4 Intellect? It seems like it would throw off the entire action economy to change that even one card in either direction, and the action economy is pretty tenuous as-is.

In other news I somehow ended up with like, hundreds of the new Digimon cards from a friend, so now I'm actually trying to learn the game. The little card-based instructions in the starter deck were hard for me to really follow, but...there's an entire freaking learn-to-play app that seems suspiciously like it was coded as a full online play tool and then dialed back at the last minute to just teach tutorial scenarios. It's a fantastic tool but the fact that it's so fantastic makes its very existence really, really weird.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rockman Reserve posted:

I have played kind of an absurd amount of F&B since my first half-baked attempt on Saturday and I really like it more and more as I figure out cool ways to use the cards. There's a lot going on in there but some of it is weirdly half-baked, like the idea of Intellect altogether - are there any heroes right now that don't have 4 Intellect? It seems like it would throw off the entire action economy to change that even one card in either direction, and the action economy is pretty tenuous as-is.

In other news I somehow ended up with like, hundreds of the new Digimon cards from a friend, so now I'm actually trying to learn the game. The little card-based instructions in the starter deck were hard for me to really follow, but...there's an entire freaking learn-to-play app that seems suspiciously like it was coded as a full online play tool and then dialed back at the last minute to just teach tutorial scenarios. It's a fantastic tool but the fact that it's so fantastic makes its very existence really, really weird.

People are speculating that they're working on an actual app along the lines of MtG Arena ever since the regionals got announced with this image in it:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The Ars Magica game Kickstarter was by Black Chicken Studios, who did Academagia, not A Sharp who did Dragon Pass/Six Ages.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

oops lol was on the board game response
My void is I don't have enough brick and my motivation is you have brick but won't give it to me

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Rockman Reserve posted:

A perfect way to ensure old heroes leave the meta/get phased out. The economy of magic has drastically shifted overtime, sometimes between sets. Hell, didn't the warcraft CCG very quickly obsolete the early heroes? Though if I recall it was through specs similar to F&B where cards needed for the meta just didn't work with older heroes.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Done some self-reflection on RPGs and the issues I've been having with playing them, think I've managed to narrow it down some. I'm pretty reactive, rather than proactive, by nature. This works okay-to-well for GMing, where I've been mildly successful by repurposing prewritten material and reacting to players' actions. This sometimes works as a player, if I'm something very basic like "be the street samurai in this shadowrun party" where the solution to problems is straightforward and established in advance. This doesn't work as well with anything more complex than "go fight mans"; I've had to drop from two campaigns (Cyberpunk RED as a Media, Hard Wired Island as a Thief) from complete paralysis on "what do I even do as a character", and struggled with my other games-as-player before it. Solo endeavors have mostly met similar fates. It's not something "just get in the character's head" can easily solve, either - I can't get into characters' headspaces, at all. They don't exist as an entity in my mind, more than levers to interact with the game world, and I don't know how to make them exist in any more useful format to guide play.

How the hell do I become a proactive player with an imagination? I don't even know where to start.
I can expand further if needed, I don't want to turn this into a half-page ramble right off the bat.

It sounds as if you aren't answering the actor's classic question "What's my motivation?" It doesn't matter whether it's the enforced oD&D/1e motivation of wanting gold (which is partly why it being worthless in 5e is such a travesty) or you "want to be the very best like no one ever was", or your motivation is religious or revenge, or you've something behind you driving you. The proactive characters that aren't instigators for the lulz are mostly slightly broken people with high ambitions who want to carry out some sort of grand ambition rather than staying safe in a decently paying job or down the pub with their friends. In adventure paths the bad guys normally come to you, and the strategic proactivity options are much more limited.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
When my sister with her young nephew and niece (ages 5-7) come over, we all play sushi go (specifically Sushi Go Party which is a nice deluxe edition), King Domino and Machi Koro, all excellent games on their own.
They also like Trogdor!! The board game, which sadly isn't that great of a game on it's own, but is fun theming, and entertains them.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
new gaming center just opened near me and i'm positive it's a front for something. it's a spinoff from one of the bigger comic shops in ct, it has a huge miniatures/board games section that is maybe 1/4 stocked, and there's only two tables for minis compared to 8 or 9 for magic (which still only fills about 1/8th of the floor space, in a building that is a new goddamn construction). they had a bunch of funko pops and a few were priced in the thousands so maybe they just need to move a few of those and keep the lights on for the year.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

John Romero posted:

new gaming center just opened near me and i'm positive it's a front for something. it's a spinoff from one of the bigger comic shops in ct, it has a huge miniatures/board games section that is maybe 1/4 stocked, and there's only two tables for minis compared to 8 or 9 for magic (which still only fills about 1/8th of the floor space, in a building that is a new goddamn construction). they had a bunch of funko pops and a few were priced in the thousands so maybe they just need to move a few of those and keep the lights on for the year.

Sometimes a rich parent just wants to be able to claim their failson is an entrepreneur & business owner instead of a high school drop out. That's how someone I know wound up with his own comic shop for 2-3 years in his 20's despite the shop hemorrhaging money.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah it's probably something along those lines especially because this is just an absolute dogshit time to open a store that requires foot traffic and attention like that.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Rich Fail-son really should be some kind of subclass in a game.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Comic book stores/game stores are almost never run by someone with good business sense because people with good business sense would almost never open a comic book store/game store.

EDIT: My favorite story about someone opening a game store comes from one of my buddies. A friend of his realized that other hobbyists were often coming to him to ask if he had certain stuff in his basement that was packed to the rafters with gaming poo poo and he finally realized 'I should probably just open a store'. I guess he operated one for the better part of a decade after that.

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 1, 2021

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I have a friend who's making his game-store dreams work (at least, he's had his storefront open for several years and seems to be doing okay, without much or any family seed money). The key for him was having a lot of retail experience and actually treating the place as a business, not as a personal hangout zone. The fact that it's the only comic/game store in the region not run by an old guy who will start unprompted political arguments with customers also seems to help.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

BlackIronHeart posted:

Comic book stores/game stores are almost never run by someone with good business sense because people with good business sense would almost never open a comic book store/game store.

It's this.

There was - emphasis, was - a place in my region that was a hybrid game store / escape room / cafe, of all things. When it opened it devoted most of the store's floor space to long tables and shelves of board games, and you could take games from a curated selection and play them at the tables for a few bucks, plus the usual Magic tournaments and Adventurer's League stuff. It was run by some classic gatekeeping "alpha nerds" with terrible hygiene who actively resented their clientele, despite being reasonably successful. After about a year of being in operation, one of their competitors went out of business: a pure comic store with the traditional "all our floorspace is devoted to tables covered in comic longboxes and shelves of Marvel/DC memorabilia" setup. The escape room comic store cafe decided that the wisest business decision they could make would be to buy the entire inventory of the store that had just gone out of business and replace all but one small table with comics and overpriced statues which, demonstrably, no one wanted.

Unsurprisingly, they are no longer in business.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Antivehicular posted:

The key for him was having a lot of retail experience and actually treating the place as a business, not as a personal hangout zone.

This reminded me of the lone gaming store that was around my childhood hometown. The greybeard owner/sole employee would have his friends come in and they'd play some CCG at the register with his buddy standing on the opposite side of the till. So if you wanted to buy something you had to hand it around this guy's friend to get rung up. My middle school friends would just shoplift GW stuff and this guy didn't seem to give a single gently caress.

When he finally went out of business back in 2017 it was actually due to retirement and I found, I poo poo you not, Robotech VHS tapes still for sale on a shelf.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I remember playing Heresy over the counter at a FLGS. We were fairly good at getting out of customers’ way though. And it sold some decks of Heresy..

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

hyphz posted:

I remember playing Heresy over the counter at a FLGS. We were fairly good at getting out of customers’ way though. And it sold some decks of Heresy..

I mean, I've played plenty of games of magic/netrunner over the counter at work. Because there's extra room to do so out of the way of customers, and not when there are customers in the store, etc, etc

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can anyone think of any cool RPGs or supplements (or maybe other things?) about being a magic-user and establishing your own Wizard Tower/Sanctum/Workshop? Ironsworn just had a cool 3rd-party supplement put out to that effect and I'm thinking of giving it a go but also looking for some additional inspiration material perhaps. It lists Ars Magica as primary inspiration but I'm wondering if there is anything else cool/good out there.

tia

Vincent Baker did a fascinating one player / two GM game called Wizard's Grimoire - https://www.patreon.com/posts/wizards-grimoire-50212240 which, while mostly about unravelling the secrets of a book, is also about building your wizard's seclusium.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Imagined posted:

What are some decent EXTREMELY light all-ages board games on the complexity level of Monopoly (but not, obviously, Monopoly), Checkers, UNO, Sorry/Trouble, or Connect Four? Things that don't require more than 5 minutes explanation or setup, and yet don't [completely] suck? Apples and Oranges is out ("Want to play something just like Cards Against Humanity but even less funny?"), ditto Munchkin (I'd honestly rather play Monopoly), Battleship... Code Names and Galaxy Trucker were a little too complex. We liked Forbidden Island/Desert. Is there anything else out there?

https://cheapass.com/free-games/light-speed/ is my favorite filler of all time, even better now that you can get a super cheap laser line to go with it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Imagined posted:

What are some decent EXTREMELY light all-ages board games on the complexity level of Monopoly (but not, obviously, Monopoly), Checkers, UNO, Sorry/Trouble, or Connect Four? Things that don't require more than 5 minutes explanation or setup, and yet don't [completely] suck? Apples and Oranges is out ("Want to play something just like Cards Against Humanity but even less funny?"), ditto Munchkin (I'd honestly rather play Monopoly), Battleship... Code Names and Galaxy Trucker were a little too complex. We liked Forbidden Island/Desert. Is there anything else out there?

Does one night ultimate werewolf count?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kestral posted:

It's this.

There was - emphasis, was - a place in my region that was a hybrid game store / escape room / cafe, of all things. When it opened it devoted most of the store's floor space to long tables and shelves of board games, and you could take games from a curated selection and play them at the tables for a few bucks, plus the usual Magic tournaments and Adventurer's League stuff. It was run by some classic gatekeeping "alpha nerds" with terrible hygiene who actively resented their clientele, despite being reasonably successful. After about a year of being in operation, one of their competitors went out of business: a pure comic store with the traditional "all our floorspace is devoted to tables covered in comic longboxes and shelves of Marvel/DC memorabilia" setup. The escape room comic store cafe decided that the wisest business decision they could make would be to buy the entire inventory of the store that had just gone out of business and replace all but one small table with comics and overpriced statues which, demonstrably, no one wanted.

Unsurprisingly, they are no longer in business.

There was a game store in my area that tried to become multi-location over a very short span of time that did that same thing with each of its outlets. Each storefront was enormous (the original was formerly a speaker specialty store), and had just ridiculous amounts of both stock and table space. But of course it didn't really have a robust back catalog, because it was just pouring money into tons of new product. The second location was even kind of empty, I think because they were at least trying to slow down on just buying whatever to fill space. It looked really great for game tournaments, though.

Of course, it wasn't just overeager expenditures. There was some drama between storefront runners, and I think the original owner washed his hands of the whole operation, then the two managers of each store fought bitterly over the remains for a year or two. The store more local to me put up a wall and sold half its floorspace off as it floundered, which didn't help much. Before it finally went under around 2016 there were some pretty astounding political Facebook meltdowns from the owner, using the official store account to whine about how unfairly conservatives were being treated. I seem to recall the meltdown was bad enough it got a couple articles written about it on a couple D-tier nerd news sites like aintitcool or whatever.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 1, 2021

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Boba Pearl posted:

Does one night ultimate werewolf count?

I feel like in order to go ultra simple for kids or people who find complex games challenging you'd need to exclude almost all the fun roles. Then again, my group also got really into that gsme before the app was even a thing, and of course never wanted any generic villagers. Plus it's only explaining the game that's tricky once you've played a round or two and especially if you're slow to add gimmick characters it's not bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gatto Grigio posted:

Rich Fail-son really should be some kind of subclass in a game.

Noble is a class in WFRPG. And iirc one of the original suggestions for any adventurer backstory is junior/petty aristocrat who has the trappings and training but just enough money to explain their starting gear.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The guy who runs our FLGS is also an alderman for the City Council, in a strange turnaround. He's got some decent business sense and community outreach, even re-branding many years back to make the store more appealing to non-nerds. It's kinda weird to think about, but it's actually a pretty core part of our downtown area.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Can we change the thread title? Boba Pearl, who got it started, just had kind of a "oh god I've been so wrong" moment of clarity about their criticisms over in PYF and the thread title is basically twisting the knife just for sadistic glee now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Name idea: Netflix Presents: Lamentations of the Flame Princess

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Noble is a class in WFRPG. And iirc one of the original suggestions for any adventurer backstory is junior/petty aristocrat who has the trappings and training but just enough money to explain their starting gear.

Also their specific main ability in original 1e was 'they're lucky as hell, after all they got to be born a noble'.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plutonis posted:

this may be the best post you've ever made, i am serious i love it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Was it CR or TAZ where the GM tweeted an "oh man why people gotta be making fusses" thread during one of the last times the RPG community at large briefly remembered Mike Mearles and everyone around him are scum?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Splicer posted:

Was it CR or TAZ where the GM tweeted an "oh man why people gotta be making fusses" thread during one of the last times the RPG community at large briefly remembered Mike Mearles and everyone around him are scum?

Yeah, let's not change the title.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm only half joking but ban all talk of DND from Traditional Games. We can't be trusted.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Or maybe From Another Time, Another Land instead of Lamentations