Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It looks like a more interesting movie than the current cover, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Jabberwocky I like. What a filthy movie. There's a joke early on about a guy getting so scared his teeth turned white. In a lot of movies, the guy telling the joke would have filthy teeth but the main characters would look alright. Not in Jabberwocky. Everyone looks absolutely disgusting. The only thing in the movie that isn't gross is the princess who has an unnecessary nude scene. And even she, along with the rest of the spectators, get increasingly covered in blood during the jousting scene. The knights are fantastic, they are all in identical armor and the movie basically treats them like ragdolls, constantly getting knocked off horses or falling on to people or getting smashed to bits.

Jabberwocky, check it out!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Kamradeshaft is good. Very openly political and idealistic in a way that you don't see often nowadays. The disaster stuff holds up way better than I expected from a movie so old. Different scenes have different specific threats in the larger disaster and the effects are quite good. The PTSD flashback scene is really well done. My one criticism is that it spends a bit too long before the disaster happens. It's setting up the danger of mining and the national animus between the two countries, but that stuff is also well established after the disaster too, so it could've gotten too the action sooner. But that's a minor quibble.

I recommend Komradeshaft.

Started off a little shaky with Army of Shadows being such a bummer and not really vibing with Down by Law or Eating Raoul, but Hearts and Minds, Jabberwocky, and Komradeshaft have gotten my Criterion watching back on track. Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing as I finish up my sale purchases.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

Kamradeshaft is good. Very openly political and idealistic in a way that you don't see often nowadays. The disaster stuff holds up way better than I expected from a movie so old. Different scenes have different specific threats in the larger disaster and the effects are quite good. The PTSD flashback scene is really well done. My one criticism is that it spends a bit too long before the disaster happens. It's setting up the danger of mining and the national animus between the two countries, but that stuff is also well established after the disaster too, so it could've gotten too the action sooner. But that's a minor quibble.

Started off a little shaky with Army of Shadows being such a bummer and not really vibing with Down by Law or Eating Raoul, but Hearts and Minds, Jabberwocky, and Komradeshaft have gotten my Criterion watching back on track. Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing as I finish up my sale purchases.

Added this to my watchlist. It's easier to find under "Comradeship" or, spelled properly, "Kameradschaft".

I'm really enjoying your reviews, keep 'em coming.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Cloks posted:

Added this to my watchlist. It's easier to find under "Comradeship" or, spelled properly, "Kameradschaft".

I'm really enjoying your reviews, keep 'em coming.

I absolutely will, I think my reviews add an important viewpoint to the discussion. Other people are like , "this is such an amazing portrayal of emotion" and I'm like, did this movie have tits in it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

I absolutely will, I think my reviews add an important viewpoint to the discussion. Other people are like , "this is such an amazing portrayal of emotion" and I'm like, did this movie have tits in it.

The Ebert approach.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Don’t forget there’s now a boutique bluray trading thread if you wanna part with sone of the ones you found lackluster.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I watched the Parallax View. I liked it alright.

It's a very well put together movie visually, tons of shots of a guy in the middle distance standing in the middle of a place. I did a Google Image search and this is a very representative image from the movie, both in terms of shot construction and color of pants.

There's a pretty good barfight and a short but really good getaway scene, but overall it's a very dry movie. Not a lot of humor, no sex outside the montage. Just general tension and an air of menace from unseen sources.

I'm not sure if the Parallax Corporation thing worked for me. Like, this movie is clearly about actual assassinations, but it's at a remove that kinda made it feel a little unmoored. Like, the Kennedy brothers were killed by the CIA because they were threats to their power, MLK was killed by the FBI because he was a threat to white supremacy. The assassination targets in the movie get basically zero characterization and the Parallax Corporation is just an ominous thing. So it really is just about the vibe, unseen power is killing public figures with total impunity and investigating it just reveals how powerless you are while also making you a target. It's a very well done vibe, but I like a little more meat with that vibe. Don't leave politics out of political assassinations.

The famous montage is really good. Especially since this movie came out like three years after the invention of the music video, so it very well could have been the first time anybody had thought to cut together seemingly unrelated images to the beat of a song. Even if you don't want to sit though the full 100 minutes of brown pants, check out that montage, I'm sure it's on Youtube or somewhere.

Overall, I liked The Parallax View a medium amount.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Permindex.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had a fun weekend, watching "Body Heat" for the first time on the channel, then my own copies of "Man With Two Brains" and "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid."

For the latter, it was great to now have the background from the Columbia Noir series to catch all the stylistic references as well as some of the clips from those movies.

As for the former, it's pretty amazing to think that "Body Heat" was Kathleen Turner's first movie role, playing the modern noir femme fatale, and "Two Brains" was her second, where she immediately parodies it. Fun stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I watched Night Train to Munich

When it got to the concentration camp scene I had to look up when the movie was made. 1940. It's wild to see that even in this super anti-nazi movie, concentration camps are just depicted as unpleasant prisons. The progress of time kinda flattens history out, it was weird having a moment watching this movie where time was pulled out again and I thought about opposition to naziism in a world before the holocaust.

But as to the movie itself, it's mixed.

First off, the miniatures are fantastic. Really good stuff. The factory and concentration camp sets are so good I kept expecting Ultraseven to show up and save the day.

The characters are not so good. Our hero is such a perfectly witty British gentleman he's rather boring on screen. And you know how old movies will sometimes have the stock "pretty daughter of the important older man" character? Yeah that's our female lead and there's absolutely nothing more to her than that.

The exception to the weak characters is these two upper class British twits stuck in Germany at the beginning of the war. They are both great, and if the movie had been about them it probably would've been one of my favorites. As it is they only get a few scenes to strut their stuff.

So overall I'd say that any shot with miniatures and any scene with the two twits I really liked. Everything else was just OK.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

The exception to the weak characters is these two upper class British twits stuck in Germany at the beginning of the war. They are both great, and if the movie had been about them it probably would've been one of my favorites. As it is they only get a few scenes to strut their stuff.

So overall I'd say that any shot with miniatures and any scene with the two twits I really liked. Everything else was just OK.

check out the lady vanishes, it features the characters you like and it's a great movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Cloks posted:

check out the lady vanishes, it features the characters you like and it's a great movie

Holy poo poo there's a loving Cinematic Universe built around those two dudes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Chris Knight posted:

Had a fun weekend, watching "Body Heat" for the first time on the channel, then my own copies of "Man With Two Brains" and "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid."

For the latter, it was great to now have the background from the Columbia Noir series to catch all the stylistic references as well as some of the clips from those movies.

As for the former, it's pretty amazing to think that "Body Heat" was Kathleen Turner's first movie role, playing the modern noir femme fatale, and "Two Brains" was her second, where she immediately parodies it. Fun stuff.

Body Heat is fun as hell. I got to talk to William Hurt one time over the counter, and between occasional diversions into political chat I was able to bring up how much I loved Altered States and Body Heat and let me tell you that old man's face lit right the gently caress up as he talked about them. Another thing he mentioned that I found interesting was how much rehearsal Russell had them doing for Altered States, Hurt himself feeling that it was fundamentally necessary to rehearse extensively in order to avoid having the actors accidentally scar one another psychologically. He was walking out of a screening of Waves only halfway through because the emotions were too raw for him and he was worried for the young actors. :3:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Gripweed posted:

Holy poo poo there's a loving Cinematic Universe built around those two dudes

Sort of.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Crooks Tour is not worth watching but if anyone is so inclined, it's on The Lady Vanishes as a special feature.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Well that explains the weird golfing aside in Dead of Night.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Criterion Channel is getting Just Another Girl on the I.R.T. (1992) as a part of their new New York showcase in September. It's basically out of print and not available anywhere, so I highly recommend checking it out. One of the best indie films from the 90's, without question.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Looks like they pushed back the Uncut Gems release a month and made it a UHD release too.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Origami Dali posted:

Looks like they pushed back the Uncut Gems release a month and made it a UHD release too.

This is how I win.gif

Also loving right, I can’t imagine how good this is going to look. I’m so pumped. What a great year it’s been and will be for this hobby.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I'm curious, roughly how long after an initial blu ray release does a movie get the Criterion Collection version? I'm wondering if The Green Knight will get one and how long after it might take before it does.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DuhSal posted:

I'm curious, roughly how long after an initial blu ray release does a movie get the Criterion Collection version? I'm wondering if The Green Knight will get one and how long after it might take before it does.

There's no standard afaik

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I watched Quadrophenia

Great music, great scooters, cool fashion, full frontal male nudity, and a fantastic riot sequence. I couldn't understand a loving word anyone said.

I strongly recommend Quadrophenia.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

DuhSal posted:

completely depends on licensing, sometimes the Criterion release will be the first time a movie has shown up on blu, other times it could be years. Or in most cases, likely never!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Criterion put up the money for a directors cut of Tree of Life when it was theaters and it still didn't get released for 7 years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

gey muckle mowser posted:

completely depends on licensing, sometimes the Criterion release will be the first time a movie has shown up on blu, other times it could be years. Or in most cases, likely never!

Is uncut gems like one of the fastest turnarounds on a film being released and it getting a criterion release?

Guess The Lighthouse might be one of those “couple of years” or “never” movies, although I hope it eventually gets included if only because it feels like criterion’s become a proving ground for “legitimacy” or staying power with art films and I don’t want it to be a flash-in-the-pan.

Then again Punch Drunk Love is the only PTA work in the criterion collection and you’d be hard-pressed to find anybody, even anybody at criterion, who thinks it’s like his best work or “better” than like Magnolia or TWBB.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 1, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is uncut gems like one of the fastest turnarounds on a film being released and it getting a criterion release?

I feel like Parasite probably has it beat.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like Parasite probably has it beat.

Parasite had a regular bluray for awhile before the Criterion.

I'd guess the Irishman

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's def Benjamin Button.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i feel like blue is the warmest color was pretty quick

remember when there was supposed to be a second version of it?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
There's been a few movies where Criterion was the initial home video release. The Life Aquatic was one where Criterion did the only release. If I remember correctly, there were two versions - a one disc and a two disc version.

So it happens.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Ok Comboomer posted:

Then again Punch Drunk Love is the only PTA work in the criterion collection and you’d be hard-pressed to find anybody, even anybody at criterion, who thinks it’s like his best work or “better” than like Magnolia or TWBB.

There are actually a lot of people who think this. I think it's his 3rd best above either of those movies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
IMHO it's his best film by a decent margin.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DetoxP posted:

There are actually a lot of people who think this. I think it's his 3rd best above either of those movies.

Are the Master and Phantom Thread the best two?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched Mishima last night. This movie feels, stylistically, head and shoulders above just about any other biopic I can think of.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Cemetry Gator posted:

There's been a few movies where Criterion was the initial home video release.

Armageddon

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Criterion put up the money for a directors cut of Tree of Life when it was theaters and it still didn't get released for 7 years.

I had no idea they went for it so early on. It was worth the wait tho, the criterion cut loving rules

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Roth posted:

I watched Mishima last night. This movie feels, stylistically, head and shoulders above just about any other biopic I can think of.

yeah they’ve really come a long way with the TEKKEN cut scenes

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Ok Comboomer posted:

Are the Master and Phantom Thread the best two?

How... Do I know you? Yes.

(Yeah, I find people either really like Magnolia, Boogie Nights, and There Will be Blood as a block, or they're really into The Master, Phantom Thread, and PDL as a block)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DetoxP posted:

How... Do I know you? Yes.

(Yeah, I find people either really like Magnolia, Boogie Nights, and There Will be Blood as a block, or they're really into The Master, Phantom Thread, and PDL as a block)

people like Boogie Nights for the smut