Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, Roger Dobkowitz was a long-time producer for The Price is Right. He has some additional insight/dirt on Richards, because gently caress Mike Richards:

quote:

One of the more serious issues brought up in the Hollywood Reporter article (that I am surprised they didn't make more of a deal with) was the fact that the staff and Mike Richards were allowed to buy prizes that weren't won.

For the 36 years that I was at CBS, it was strictly prohibited that anyone involved with the show could personally profit from it. Because of the Payola scandals of the 1950's, strict federal law was passed that made it a crime. We were under constant scrutiny by CBS program practices division to make sure we didn't receive gifts from companies that supplied us with prizes. As mentioned in the article, we could not officially even eat the chicken that was used as a part of a KFC plug.

"Buying" prizes that were not given away, suspiciously (and I am always suspicious!) looks like a way to circumvent the look of the staff receiving prizes as gifts. These questions arise; 1) who ordered the prize to be used on the show, 2) who decided to offer the prize up for sale to the staff, and 3) who decided on the price to sell it (did someone pay $45 for a pinball machine?).

These are serious questions and one that requires more investigation. Otherwise, this situation will get worse and we will be right back to the time when Payola was common practice.

EDIT: remember when i said earlier that no game show producer would risk a nickel in federal prison for helping somebody out? mike richards would be dumb enough to try it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

I guess James just doesn't bother me the way he does some people. He seems kinda like a harmless awkward, not good with people, smug instead of a Arthur chu insufferable "I enjoy people hating me" type of smug.

The 9-5 quote isn't really all that bad. He acknowledged his family is fortunate to have money for him to do that and gently caress if I did I'd peace out of my 9-5 too. I don't think he meant it as a "why aren't poors just better with money and quit?" type thing.

OTOH I never met him irl or anyone that has so it's just how his statements come off to me personally.

Nah the quote was bad. Saying "I can't imagine working a 9 to 5" insinuates it's a choice. If I had the freedom he's had in life I would never phrase it that way because I know most everyone hates the drudgery of work.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

wa27 posted:

Remember after James' 2nd or 3rd episode aired and someone set up a website that was basically a running list of his "victims" during his reign?

That definitely was a turn-off for people right away, especially because everyone figured he set it up himself.

HookShot posted:

It was actually up before his first game even aired!

It referred to the people he beat as "The Vanquished"
And it straight up called him King James Holzhauer of Jeopardy as well, and the people he beat his “vanquished subjects”.

Echoing Hookshot, know a bunch of people (probably the same people) on the FB contestant group who have interacted with him IRL and have nothing good to say about him. Arrogant and dismissive, but good at projecting a humble front on camera that got quite a lot of the viewership who aren’t extremely online or run in trivia circles charmed. Some of his snark at deserving targets doesn’t hurt, but he also goes after quite a few people who don’t deserve it, only not publicly.

Also, my mind is blown by the amount of people coming out of the woodwork to either ask why “we’re spending so much ink (digital and otherwise) on a television show host when the situations in Afghanistan and the hurricanes and Covid are more pressing” (ignoring that Jeopardy under Trebek was an institution that is now cratering it’s good will in this shitshow, and people watched it to unwind and celebrate knowledge to get away from this flaccid cyberpunk dystopia we call life) or calling Mike Richards the next victim of “cancel culture” and implying that no one can now meet the standards of the “woke Internet mobs”, completely downplaying his actions and comments. I had low expectations for Internet commentary (buffered by these last couple of years politically and especially the last 2 years or so with the election and Covid), but this blew right past them straight into the cesspit.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 1, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GhostStalker posted:

And it straight up called him King James Holzhauer of Jeopardy as well. Echoing Hookshot, know a bunch of people (probably the same people) on FB who have interacted with him IRL and have nothing good to say about him. Arrogant and dismissive, but good at projecting a humble front on camera that got quite a lot of the viewership who aren’t extremely online or run in trivia circles charmed. Some of his snark at deserving targets doesn’t hurt, but he also goes after quite a few people who don’t deserve it, only not publicly.

Also, my mind is blown by the amount of people coming out of the woodwork to either ask why “we’re spending so much ink (digital and otherwise) on a television show host when the situations in Afghanistan and the hurricanes and Covid are more pressing” (ignoring that Jeopardy under Trebek was an institution that is now cratering it’s good will in this shitshow, and people watched it to unwind and celebrate knowledge to get away from this flaccid cyberpunk dystopia we call life) or calling Mike Richards the next victim of “cancel culture” and implying that no one can now meet the standards of the “woke Internet mobs”, completely downplaying his actions and comments. I had low expectations for Internet commentary (buffered by these last couple of years politically and especially the last 2 years or so with the election and Covid), but this blew right past them straight into the cesspit.

I’m not sure if you got the memo, but we live in the hell zone timeline. Hence why Bialik is going to get the permanent host now that Richards is gone.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m not sure if you got the memo, but we live in the hell zone timeline. Hence why Bialik is going to get the permanent host now that Richards is gone.

I would say that it could always have been worse (like Sony deciding to keep Richards as host despite all the backlash or other things in the past two years), but I don’t want to tempt Murphy.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 2, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
At this point anyone who starts babbling about "cancel culture" is an entitled dipshit who's pissed off that they can't slap random women on the rear end, make homophobic comments, and use the n-word in public.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
If James is a jerk behind the scenes, I'm curious how much worse Richards has to be, because James sounds like he hates the guy.

https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1432878323709874177

Was Richards around for James' run or just the GOAT?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Iron Crowned posted:

He can't comprehend that the vast majority of people do not have the ability to opt out of a "9 to 5" and could never take a year off to practice for Jeopardy.

also most jeopardy contestants can't do that, period. I was on the show in 2015. I was called in mid July and taped my show in late August

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

RaspberrySea posted:

Was Richards around for James' run or just the GOAT?

Holzhauer's initial run was April to June 2019. Mike Richards was selected to be EP for Jeopardy in August 2019 but didn't officially start the job until the 2020 season, so the only interactions would have been the GOAT and maybe the Tournament of Champions, depending on filming dates and if you assume Richards did some work behind the scenes during the transition.

EDIT: Looking at the article, I just now realized that Mike Richards is also the rear end in a top hat producer from the Price is Right documentary "Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much" who fired Rob Dobkowitz and had Ted Slauson banned for life for being too good at the game. He's like the secret villain behind the entire game show industry.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 1, 2021

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Man, gently caress Mike Richards

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

EDIT: Looking at the article, I just now realized that Mike Richards is also the rear end in a top hat producer from the Price is Right documentary "Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much" who fired Rob Dobkowitz and had Ted Slauson banned for life for being too good at the game. He's like the secret villain behind the entire game show industry.

Really funny when it turned out the guy Slauson beat the game for lied to the media about how he did it.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spokes posted:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spokes posted:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spokes posted:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spokes posted:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Spokes posted:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Spokes posted:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
gently caress, man, Mike Richards.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
michael richards, fuckman

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Actually, I like Mike Richards

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Yoshi Wins posted:

Get the gently caress outta here, Mike Richards!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yoshi Wins posted:

Moooooooooods

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Mike "the gently caress" Richards.

Man? Monster? Or Myth?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Mike Richards, man; gently caress!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 2, 2021

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
gently caress Ted Faro Mike Richards

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Spokes posted:

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Remember when they finally canned his rear end from Jeopardy and their note was like, "we thought this would blow over by now, but you bitches are STILL WHINING, so I guess we have to let him go. UGH."

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

So, Roger Dobkowitz was a long-time producer for The Price is Right. He has some additional insight/dirt on Richards, because gently caress Mike Richards
it should be noted that Dobkowitz also sucks
https://twitter.com/rogerdobkowitz/status/1263576991732654081?s=21

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I think the lesson that I'm learning from the J! thread is that everyone is awful and everything sucks and will forever.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

So, Roger Dobkowitz was a long-time producer for The Price is Right. He has some additional insight/dirt on Richards, because gently caress Mike Richards:

EDIT: remember when i said earlier that no game show producer would risk a nickel in federal prison for helping somebody out? mike richards would be dumb enough to try it.
Related to that, this is also from that same article:

quote:

Richards also clashed with the prize department, asking to make changes that sources say didn’t align with Price‘s key middle-class demographics. Multiple sources say Richards asked the prize department to buy such name-brand items that included Ralph Lauren, Tiffany and Christian Louboutin. When luxury brands declined to provide products to Price in exchange for airtime (which remains standard practice), Richards allegedly had the prizing staff find such items at outlet stores. “We started getting cease and desist letters from those companies. We were getting those left and right. Our department didn’t want to do that but this was his directive,” says one member of the prize department who was let go under Richards after 12 years on the show. Contestants, this source recalls, were upset that they were having to pay full retail price taxes on winnings for shoes that didn’t come directly from brands themselves and were sometimes the wrong size.
Not only is that hilarious, it makes me wonder if part of the reason for doing that was so that the favored staffers could buy up some luxury items at a discount on the show's budget.

I remember there was that Hollywood rumor sheet a couple days ago that mentioned that Sony was aware of two additional stories that were about to drop on Mike Richards. I'm guessing the Hollywood Reporter was one of them, I wonder if we'll see the second soon.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm going to laugh so loving hard if Mike Richards wanted to cheat his way into the J! hosting job so bad he cheats his way right into Club Fed instead.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I think the lesson that I'm learning from the J! thread is that everyone is awful and everything sucks and will forever.

This is correct , and don’t worry, the world will make sure you never forget it.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Spokes posted:

Fuckboy Mike Richards

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What is Fuckboy Mike Richards

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

At this point anyone who starts babbling about "cancel culture" is an entitled dipshit who's pissed off that they can't slap random women on the rear end, make homophobic comments, and use the n-word in public.

I’ve come to expect certain types of people blabbering about it and decrying the “hypocrisy” of the critics probably not being perfect themselves and holding others to “impossible standards”. Crying about “lives ruined” (as if Richards isn’t going to get himself a Golden Parachute on his exit) due to “old comments” being “dug up” (made less than a decade ago when he was already in a position of power at The Price is Right, on a podcast I assume he expected to want to have an audience hear, not exactly when he was a clueless college student or even younger, and done by a reporter who literally wrote a book on Jeopardy so this is her expected beat, and showing that Sony didn’t due their due diligence when they both hired and promoted him). Lots of faux “I’ve been a liberal/Democrat voter all my life and this is going too far” outrage.

I expected it in the Jeopardy FB peanut gallery and on Twitter, which is why I’ve avoided those venues. Didn’t expect to see so many in the NYT comments section of articles covering this. Don’t know why I expected better. Absolutely sick of it, glad it’s not in my usual Jeopardy discussion places.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

After watching most of the guest hosts, I’m really sad the Fred Willard passed. He would’ve been fantastic.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

AndyElusive posted:

What's Fuckboy Mike Richards

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bird in a Blender posted:

After watching most of the guest hosts, I’m really sad the Fred Willard passed. He would’ve been fantastic.

And to be honest, his getting caught spankin' it in a movie theatre seems kinda quaint these days.

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPGDuQ5lmsw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

HookShot posted:

You’re ok.