Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Lock posted:

Finally getting the first tomorrow. I’m just outside of the current local cutoff but thanks to teaching a class at the local college I can get vaccinated with their staff. Which is good because we’re having a bit of a flareup here. Though I guess that’s true of most of the country right now

Nice! Yeah. It's not great. Stay safe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Escape From Noise posted:

Nice! Yeah. It's not great. Stay safe!

You too man. And good luck with your brews!

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Y'all gonna finally hang out soon??? Yesss

Escape From Noise

Hopefully eventually! I do like Nagano. It's a neat prefecture.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Nagano owns!!! I love going to ruins, y'all know this, but the ruins in and around Chino are probably the most interesting in Japan, at least to me. Jomon era stuff is kinda my jam; there was kind of a "great leap" in tool usage and processing and there's all sorts of interesting textile impressions that were left behind even when the fibers themselves decayed, thanks to the unique soil makeup around Chino-shi.

Lock

Mormon Nailer posted:

Nagano owns!!! I love going to ruins, y'all know this, but the ruins in and around Chino are probably the most interesting in Japan, at least to me. Jomon era stuff is kinda my jam; there was kind of a "great leap" in tool usage and processing and there's all sorts of interesting textile impressions that were left behind even when the fibers themselves decayed, thanks to the unique soil makeup around Chino-shi.

Sounds like I need to be asking you for some awesome places to go exploring then

Hopefully eventually! I do like Nagano. It's a neat prefecture.

dude I found a local microbrewery that actually makes a really good sour beer, I will gladly show the place to anyone who wants

Escape From Noise

AJ Brewing?

Lock

Bacca Brewing is the name of the place. Which is pretty good when it comes to naming.

Escape From Noise

Lock posted:

Bacca Brewing is the name of the place. Which is pretty good when it comes to naming.

Ohhh! I've seen some of their stuff, not sours though.

Lock

yeh I dunno if it was a limited-time thing this summer, I sure as hell hope not, but it was drat good

Escape From Noise

Lock posted:

yeh I dunno if it was a limited-time thing this summer, I sure as hell hope not, but it was drat good

Like a kettle sour (Berliner weissen/goes) or a "true" sour (lambic, Flanders red, wild ale, etc.)?

Lock

Sadly I am not educated enough to be able to answer that. Is there any kinda hint in the flavor?

Escape From Noise

Lock posted:

Sadly I am not educated enough to be able to answer that. Is there any kinda hint in the flavor?

Hm... it's hard to explain with just words but I guess the way I'd say it is kettle sours like gose and Berliner weisses tend to be a lighter, more one dimensional sourness or tartness similar to lemon juice, a bit of fruityness, and are kind of... sparkling I guess, for lack of a better word (Napoleon called Berliner weisse "Champagne of the North"). Gose and Berliner weisse are similar, gose traditionally has coriander and salt and is traditionally a little higher in alcohol. They're called kettle sours because the lactobacillus is added to the kettle before the boil and allowed to propagate for a day or two before boiling the wort, thus killing it off and stopping it's growth. This means a traditional brewery that makes clean beer can make that without a significant risk of contamination, because if you get lactobacillus in your tanks, hoses, etc. it can't be cleaned out once it sets in and everything you make will become sour.

A "true" sour is either fermented with a wild yeast/bacteria culture (the main style being Belgian lambic such as Cantillion and Boon) or made with a mixed culture of both a clean ale yeast and a bacteria culture (the main style being Flanders red ale such as Rodenbach and Duchesse de Bourgogne) and usually fermented/aged in oak barrels and/or foeders for at least a year. Because the bacteria are allowed to fully propogate these beers usually have a deeper sour character not unlike a vinegar and/or tart wines. Flanders red is often described as having a taste similar to balsamic vinegar, for instance. Lambics are much lighter and tend to be a bit tannic. Most breweries that produce these styles tend to be dedicated sour ale breweries, or they have a separate sort of production area/facility in order to minimize risks of contamination, so everything after the boil/cool down (cold side) has to be separate: tanks, hoses, packaging equipment, etc.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 28, 2021

idiotsavant
afaik kettle sours also have a higher chance of going awry & smelling/tasting like baby barf and while a good gose/berlinerweisse is delicious, a salted cucumber baby barf is not. also lactobacillus contributes to "mouse" in natural wine, in conclusion: gently caress lactobacillus. it is a trash bacteria

Escape From Noise

idiotsavant posted:

afaik kettle sours also have a higher chance of going awry & smelling/tasting like baby barf and while a good gose/berlinerweisse is delicious, a salted cucumber baby barf is not. also lactobacillus contributes to "mouse" in natural wine, in conclusion: gently caress lactobacillus. it is a trash bacteria

That is more of an issue with sour mashing from what I've heard, most places use a lactobacillus culture in the wort, which significantly lowers the risk of developing butyric acid (which creates the baby barf off flavor, but I think it comes from the malt husk along with lactobacillus, not produced by it. Modern brewers combat this by lowering the pH of the wort by adding usually lactic acid, or sometimes citric acid to the wort prior to pitching the lactobacillus, the boil can also kill most varieties I think.

I really like lambics so I kind of love lactobacillus.

cruft

Welp. One of my people just put in her two weeks.

She was managing a work package with an inter-governmental agency that was a pretty big deal for us, but involved nothing more than going to meetings and shooting the breeze about the possibility of work 20 years down the road, to address problems that needed solutions 10 years ago. I don't blame her for leaving, seeing as how we hired her to do Unix cloud engineering.

Now we have to find some other fool to pick this up.

Which sucks because we're now down one person who can manage this package, and also one Unix systems programmer. When we could have probably kept her if they'd have let her out of this bullshit work package that has nothing to do with her skillset.

Lock

really interesting stuff

I’d put my yen on a kettle sour then, but I honestly couldn’t say with any amount of confidence.

xcheopis

My coworker who is out with Covid may be starting to improve, although there's still shortness of breath. Here's hoping for a swift and complete recovery!

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Ass-penny

xcheopis posted:

My coworker who is out with Covid may be starting to improve, although there's still shortness of breath. Here's hoping for a swift and complete recovery!

:peanut:

cruft good luck trying to replace her. losing talented people is rough.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Decon

Thursday's my last day at my current job which I haven't liked or cared much about for the past two years. :unsmith:

Ass-penny

Decon posted:

Thursday's my last day at my current job which I haven't liked or cared much about for the past two years. :unsmith:

He'll yeah. You got another gig lined up or are you planning on coasting for a little while?

Escape From Noise

Decon posted:

Gratz! Nothing like leaving a crap job!

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Decon posted:

Congrats! :yotj:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Decon posted:

Grats, gtfo and take all of the sticky notes with you.

Found my ideal job title:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Zil

How much can I get for a few repressed memories?

Thanks to Dumb Sex-Parrot for the Christmas citrusy sig!

more falafel please posted:

just turn that impostor syndrome into "I'm Poster" syndrome

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Selling the NFT for my job related menty b that's about to go off.

xcheopis

Decon posted:

hooray!

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Lock

Decon posted:

Awesome! Here’s to hope the next isn’t quite as crap.

Escape From Noise

As I predicted, my former boss is trying to ratfuck me on cleanup fees (in Japan you tend to get a bill after moving out, as opposed to repairs being deducted from a deposit.) It's supposed to be an itemized bill, but the one I got just has one line for something like "redecoration"/"repairs" and it's for just under 30k JPY. I was kind of tempted to just pay it and get it over with because it's a pain in the rear end but not a huge amount, but my friend said I should contest it. As much as I want to just be done with this jerk, I shouldn't let him get away with this.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

As I predicted, my former boss is trying to ratfuck me on cleanup fees (in Japan you tend to get a bill after moving out, as opposed to repairs being deducted from a deposit.) It's supposed to be an itemized bill, but the one I got just has one line for something like "redecoration"/"repairs" and it's for just under 30k JPY. I was kind of tempted to just pay it and get it over with because it's a pain in the rear end but not a huge amount, but my friend said I should contest it. As much as I want to just be done with this jerk, I shouldn't let him get away with this.

Absolutely don't. Make them give you an itemized bill.

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

Absolutely don't. Make them give you an itemized bill.

That's the plan.

more falafel please

forums poster

there's a fire on my new project and it turns out the guy i'm replacing and another guy who i used to manage both kinda hosed up the implementation of a thing and now it's My Problem

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Zil

there's a fire on my new project and it turns out the guy i'm replacing and another guy who i used to manage both kinda hosed up the implementation of a thing and now it's My Problem

The curse of being good at your job

Thanks to Dumb Sex-Parrot for the Christmas citrusy sig!

just turn that impostor syndrome into "I'm Poster" syndrome

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Have you tried putting actual fire on it

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
LOL at the multiple phone calls from irate and extremely dumb family members thinking both of these scenarios took place simultaneously:

A) We dug up their relative and moved them to another grave
B) We buried someone over their relative at the original grave

Neither of which happened but we're getting blown up on the answering machine by people who "don't wanna have to come up there!"

gently caress offfff

Escape From Noise

Even if that were true (I know it isn't) how on earth are they going to prove that? Show up with a loving shovel and dig up the grave?

cruft

Even if that were true (I know it isn't) how on earth are they going to prove that? Show up with a loving shovel and dig up the grave?

This actually got me to wondering, since this scenario seems to play out all the fuckin' time, how you actually deal with this. Like, surely there's a formula for it by now, because I have no doubt ol Hattie Johnson was pulling the same poo poo back in 1885.

Escape From Noise

I'm guessing there's an actual legal route that would involve using sonar or something but you'd probably have to have some actual evidence. But I dunno. I'm guessing this stuff is pretty loving regulated.

cruft

I was more thinking there was a customer service formula that had been ironed out over the centuries. Like, yeah, my inclination would be to say "okay wise guy, here's your shovel, go get busy collecting evidence." But I'm guessing these accusations come from a person being startled that the dear memory of their loved one has faded to the point that they have forgotten where the grave was, and they need someone to yell at to save face. So probably there's a more compassionate way to deal with it that like 75% of the time gets them to go away and deal with the moving on process without involving the staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Geophys and it's expensive and it's literally my first job that I did on digs. But lol if they want to spend $1500+ per hour with an 8 hour minimum and piss off hundreds of other families in the process, let them bring in geophys.