Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Goblin Craft posted:

Solid presentation in this, it really drew me in. I don't often on a whim watch a half hour youtube video but thanks for sharing this.

Yeah I really enjoyed learning about Miyamoto's background in Shinto and the shrine in Kyoto. Also made me want to re-watch Princess Mononoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

After looking to see what someone was referring to as Terrible Fate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbMQfaG6lo8

For anyone else who didn't know, this is what I was referring to. Just... sublime.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

drat I didn't realize how good the amiibo for Skyward Sword was. Bought a lil card off amazon for 2 bucks and I can just even be in a dungeon and get to fly right out, go wherever I want, and when I feel like it use the amiibo to go right back to the dungeon. lol

I hate the idea of amiibos like that but whatever, love the NFC cards!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Barreft posted:

drat I didn't realize how good the amiibo for Skyward Sword was. Bought a lil card off amazon for 2 bucks and I can just even be in a dungeon and get to fly right out, go wherever I want, and when I feel like it use the amiibo to go right back to the dungeon. lol

I hate the idea of amiibos like that but whatever, love the NFC cards!

I started playing BotW again and just bought a bunch of amiibo cards from etsy, and they all have nice artwork and say what each amiibo will get me in the game. I remember trying to get the amiibos that got me things I wanted and it was impossible because they were all sold out and everything on Amazon was either a scam or too expensive. Now I can just spend like 25 bucks and I've got a portable collection of the zelda ones.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I started playing BotW again and just bought a bunch of amiibo cards from etsy, and they all have nice artwork and say what each amiibo will get me in the game. I remember trying to get the amiibos that got me things I wanted and it was impossible because they were all sold out and everything on Amazon was either a scam or too expensive. Now I can just spend like 25 bucks and I've got a portable collection of the zelda ones.

Yeah I bought the BOTW ones too awhile ago. Very nice QOL stuff. Just insane they tied it to real figures, of course the price would skyrocket.

e: also when I say teleports you right back to the dungeon, I mean literally the same spot. I wanted 2 health potions so I amiibo yeeted, flew to skyhome or w/e, bought and upgraded stuff, then amiibo'd right back to my same spot.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 28, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Is it just me or are there some enemies in Skyward that will just always parry you no matter what? I feel it most on the taser bokoblins because their parry damages you, but it seems like they'll just move in like 2 frames sometimes, the moment I flick the joystick from neutral. Am I doing something wrong?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I ran into the same issue. I found that if I delayed a half second longer before my next strike to let them set up their block, they'd be sort of locked into their new parry position and I could hit them. There might be some sort of pseudo-Ghirahim mechanic where you have to draw their attention by pointing your sword away but if that was the case I couldn't tell for certain.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Fifty Three posted:

I ran into the same issue. I found that if I delayed a half second longer before my next strike to let them set up their block, they'd be sort of locked into their new parry position and I could hit them. There might be some sort of pseudo-Ghirahim mechanic where you have to draw their attention by pointing your sword away but if that was the case I couldn't tell for certain.

God he pissed me off so much when I started

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fifty Three posted:

That is an explicit mechanic that Fi spells out for you

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Just a random shoutout as usual to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g3gWQ5XN30

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Easily one of the best tracks in the franchise

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

There might be some sort of pseudo-Ghirahim mechanic where you have to draw their attention by pointing your sword away but if that was the case I couldn't tell for certain.

I never felt like that did anything for bokoblins, at least it never made them visibly change their guard. Well, I was thinking of trying a 3-heart run after finishing and that's persuaded me out of it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

With the ones with the electric weapons I usually just wind up waiting for them to attack me and block with the sacred shield and can attack all I want.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cojawfee posted:

This is what I did after spending waaaay too much on Amiibos. 24 little cards in a tiny wallet.

Does the Skyward Sword-inspired amiibo for BotW also work in the new Skyward Sword? If so, what is the reward?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I went out for lunch today and I saw this:

I dont trust it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Did you try shooting it with an arrow?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did you try shooting it with an arrow?

I like the moon where it is so I didn't want to piss this thing off.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Just finished (normal mode, first run) Skyward Sword 100%. We'll see if I feel like doing hero mode soon, though I got enough of every treasure so I can upgrade each item whenever I want if I do start a run. This game is really good. I was not entirely happy with SS originally, though I did like it. But all the changes they made just made it so much better. It already had a great story, but now the gameplay keeps up with it. The linearity is a bit much (there were many points I deliberately went a certain way to explore, only to find out that was the only way I could have gone anyway), but that's the style I guess.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

After looking to see what someone was referring to as Terrible Fate I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyUcwsjyd8Q

which claims that Link was robbed of his childhood and basically dies at the end and becomes a stalfos/Dark Link.

Bitter 9021 y/o boy.

Yeah, I love this video. It does a great job of explaining (to me) why I love OoT so much, beyond nostalgia.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Has anyone played the Relics of the Past BotW mod? They changed an absolute ton of stuff it looks like and I'd really like a difficulty boost (already beat master mode) but from the clips I've seen it also seems like they took a page out of the Kaizo book but instead of chain chomps everywhere it's Guardians

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

did they also remove the dumb mechanics from master mode or is it strictly an increase in difficulty

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

b_d posted:

did they also remove the dumb mechanics from master mode or is it strictly an increase in difficulty

From what I gather the game was designed around normal mode, but you could do master mode if you wanted. The game also has its own NG+ mode which sort of functions similarly, where it upgrades all enemies to their highest tier but you keep all your stuff.

Otherwise it's an increase in difficulty but not from numbers, but because they seem to have totally rehauled most of the game and redid tons of enemy placements. Saw one zone on the plateau where there was like three of those little mini-guardins that shoot baby lazers at you, and after you kill them you can do a new custom magnesis puzzle to climb to the top and get a really good hammer

but again, kind of wondering if anyone else has tried it because "there's guardians there now" seems to be a recurring theme

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i haven't but if you wanted a difficulty increase i'd recommend hyrule rebalance (which i have played)

that goes the opposite direction of leaving the world alone and just tweaking all the numbers, including stuff like making armor generally suck more, reducing how OP the two-handed spin attack is, etc. some of the changes feel a bit like they're just taking the fun parts out of the game but overall i think it's a decent experience and does force you to engage with mechanics you could generally ignore in the original game a lot more.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Skyward Sword thoughts currently:

Sand Sea and Sandship was *so* much fun and now,

Volcano Summit and Fire Sanctuary I want to kill myself.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The Sand Sea was legit one of my favorite areas of the entire franchise, possibly of all games in general

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

What did you guys like about the Sand Sea? I liked the big ship but all the stuff in the little boat just reminded me that I wasn't playing wind waker and felt like more padding.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Muscle Tracer posted:

What did you guys like about the Sand Sea? I liked the big ship but all the stuff in the little boat just reminded me that I wasn't playing wind waker and felt like more padding.

It was a cute visual gimmick in an otherwise really bad game, but the gameplay was kinda meh.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Muscle Tracer posted:

I was expecting more sand traps and instead got a cool water/sand change thing along with some rollercoaster rides, clawshotting up high in the air, and a haunted type boat along with a mecha pirate and a squid attack.

What wasn't there to like?

e: I never played the wii version

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Lanayru gets all the best content in Skyward Sword. Ancient Cistern is the one major exception.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wasn’t there an Iwata Asks about SS that said that each area was done by a different team? Would explain why they’re so disjointed and of such varying quality

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Muscle Tracer posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if you dug down deep enough into Skyward Sword's code you'd find that boat is fundamentally just the King of Red Lions with the cannon enabled and aiming bound to motion controls.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if you dug down deep enough into Skyward Sword's code you'd find that boat is fundamentally just the King of Red Lions with the cannon enabled and aiming bound to motion controls.

It's a bokoblin wearing the boat as a hat and it runs around.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Barreft posted:

I was expecting more sand traps and instead got a cool water/sand change thing along with some rollercoaster rides, clawshotting up high in the air, and a haunted type boat along with a mecha pirate and a squid attack.

What wasn't there to like?

e: I never played the wii version
the idea is great but then it turns out there's absolutely nothing at all in the entirety of the sandsea except for the two specific areas you disembark at, so what was even the point

it's like the exact same problem as the sky where it's a huge hub area that might as well have been a level select screen

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Just popping in to say we're still enjoying Age of Calamity and we even had the King join our party recently. I forget his name. The fairies can go gently caress themselves.

EDIT: How's the DLC?

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 1, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Just popping in to say we're still enjoying Age of Calamity and we even had the King join our party recently. I forget his name. The fairies can go gently caress themselves.

EDIT: How's the DLC?

Really good, worth the money. Very challenging, high-level missions and a skill tree plus a new character and a couple cool new weapons.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Amppelix posted:

the idea is great but then it turns out there's absolutely nothing at all in the entirety of the sandsea except for the two specific areas you disembark at, so what was even the point

it's like the exact same problem as the sky where it's a huge hub area that might as well have been a level select screen

Echoing this. It's not that I disliked the dungeon parts, it just felt too padded out. The minecart thing was fun, but happens once and lasts for about one minute and the end result is "nothing here!" If THAT had been how you navigated the zone it would have at least felt meaningful.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Amppelix posted:

Yeah, I had repeated deja vu of the first time I played this game where I'd try to access something that was clearly meant to be interacted with but too early. Both times I spent a while trying to get to where the ship is eventually parked after you finish the dungeon.

In the aftermath I got Cadence of Hyrule and I know it's not a fair comparison but I'm having way more fun playing it than SS.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I'm playing Breath of the Wild for the first time and I'm getting my butt kicked basically as soon as I got off the plateau. Is this normal?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

kinda

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OPAONI posted:

I'm playing Breath of the Wild for the first time and I'm getting my butt kicked basically as soon as I got off the plateau. Is this normal?

Yes. Learn to run away from or sneak round fights until you get better gear.

Ed: or chuck bombs at them till they die. Also a valid choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if you're going in the direction of the main quest marker (seek out impa, specifically), you shouldn't be getting owned *that* hard

if you aren't though, all bets are off