Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

How are u posted:

We will build the best that we can and figure it out.

"the best we can"

well you're looking at it. now that we're here, what's your plan? the time has come to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

How are u posted:

We will build the best that we can and figure it out.

proceeding and acting like we can build when hospitals and morgues are overflowing early into this pandemic is why the pandemic is still going on.

delta did not need to ever exist. "we can live with it" is why it does.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm fine wearing a respirator every time I go outside for the rest of my life like I live in one of the Metro videogames

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pinecone Sample posted:

I'm not saying this to advocate for chicken pox parties or the like, but if it's endemic and exposure is inevitable, isn't it preferable - as far as we know now - that an exposure is sooner than later, less than 6 months after your vaccination, as compared to like the zeta variant after all social order has broken down?

You can get covid-19 more than once so it's best not to get it at all so far.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pinecone Sample posted:

I'm not saying this to advocate for chicken pox parties or the like, but if it's endemic and exposure is inevitable, isn't it preferable - as far as we know now - that an exposure is sooner than later, less than 6 months after your vaccination, as compared to like the zeta variant after all social order has broken down?

Or in terms of limited evidence that might exist to this question, has there been an ongoing study of hospital workers who made it to early 2021 without antibodies and what their outcomes are for post-vaccination post-delta exposures?
Even if we grant the dubious notion that we will all get infected at some point and should therefore do so in a controlled fashion, then it really depends where you live. A lot of places in the US, especially the southeast, Idaho, etc., are mega-hosed right now, and you probably won't be able to get the necessary healthcare if you happen to have a non-mild breakthrough case. People living in these places would honestly be wise to avoid doing anything that might land them in the hospital because the situation is so bleak. Like, I've heard of people living in those places who are taking a break from heavy weightlifting, simply because of the off-chance they'll get injured in a way that would require surgery.

We also really don't know that the hypothetical zeta variant will be worse. Maybe it will, but for now, delta keeps outcompeting every upstart variant simply because it's so infectious and so widespread already that other fancy features of other variants just don't matter. Like, there are a number of spike mutations that are known to strongly boost transmissibility and vaccine escape, such as N501Y and E484K. I just checked the main SARS-CoV-2 genome database (GISAID) yesterday, and while there are delta genomes that have both of those additional mutations, there really aren't that many compared to vanilla delta -- I'm talking on the order of not even 100 delta + N501Y + E484K database entries, as opposed to >800,000 entries for vanilla delta (out of ~3.2 million total entries in the database).

Doubly also, getting a 3rd shot of an mRNA vaccine and/or getting a future, variant-tailored booster might offer the best protection yet, no need to be infected at all.

So yeah, getting infected just to get infected seems like a bad idea. There's no guarantee at all that future variants will be worse, whereas we do know that vaccine breakthrough infections are more severe than we'd like a nontrivial amount of the time.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Pinecone Sample posted:

Made it 35 years without chickenpox so far so I guess I'll just plough on and hope that the same naive ignorance protects me here too

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nam Taf posted:

Made it 35 years without chickenpox so far so I guess I'll just plough on and hope that the same naive ignorance protects me here too

Edit: More accurate and up to date information below

Lolie posted:

Shingles only affects people who have had chickenpox. If you've never had chickenpox, you need the chickenpox vaccine. If you've ever had chickenpox, you need the shingles vaccine (get it as soon as you become eligible. I got shingles a couple of months ago and it's horrendous).

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 1, 2021

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
:nws: and I MEAN IT but lol:

:nws:https://www.reddit.com/r/ivermectin/:nws:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Barudak posted:

Theres a chickenpox vaccine although based on your age you should be getting Shingles vaccine.

Shingles only affects people who have had chickenpox. If you've never had chickenpox, you need the chickenpox vaccine. If you've ever had chickenpox, you need the shingles vaccine (get it as soon as you become eligible. I got shingles a couple of months ago and it's horrendous).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lolie posted:

Thank you for correcting me, I updated my post since its important.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Barudak posted:

Thank you for correcting me, I updated my post since its important.

Shingles is so horrible that if you don't know whether or not you've ever had chickenpox it is worth getting a shingles vaccination.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you feel pain, burning, numbness, tingling, or sensitivity to touch on one side of your body, initially with no rash, run to a doctor and get antivirals for your shingles. They help a lot, and they work best if you get them early. Don’t wait for the rash.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Yeh I'm vaxxed up for tha pox these days. I'm unsure if I was as a kid, I can't remember, god knows where my records are, and there is some evidence that in some people immunity wanes. I ended up getting an antibody serology test for it back in 2018 because my boss came to work with shingles and i was like 'get the FUCKAWAYFROMME i've not had it before' and he absolutely couldn't believe I somehow hadn't been exposed. The test came back negative, so I got the vaccine for it.

So it was more like 32 years of my life naively avoiding it, but the point still stands.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 1, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Spaghett posted:

In summary, I read this thread for a bit of catharsis. It feels good to know that these thoughts and fears are shared. I don't feel alone. Once I lose some of that loneliness, I can go back into the world and find some joy.

Outside of pockets of the internet, it seems like in the outside world people pretend that either this pandemic isn't happening or that if it is, it's a mild nuisance at best. This poo poo sucks, almost every day is depressing and there's the looming threat of death (for other people and kids, me and everybody I know is vaxxed), I don't really want to go anywhere or do anything even if I'll probably survive even if I get the COVID. And yet I have to treat it like it's fine or normal, and everybody else has to put up this facade of normalcy and it kills me. I just want to look somebody in the eye and be like "this sucks, everything sucks right now, right?" and have them agree. It's good to know that things are, in fact, bad and that I'm not crazy for thinking that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tennessee figured out a better way to verify their covid hospital data and discovered that they'd been under-reporting their covid hospitalizations by roughly 20%

quote:

Tennessee underreported COVID-19 hospitalizations by about 5,100

The coronavirus hospitalized about 5,100 more Tennesseans than previously reported over the past 14 months — an increase of more than 20% over prior totals — according to newly backfilled data from the state department of health.

Hospitalizations were underreported by anywhere from one patient to dozens on nearly every day since the start of last summer, according to the new data. The largest share of the unreported hospitalizations occurred during the winter surge.

Tennessee's revised hospitalization total, including the backfilled data, is 29,694.

Sarah Tanksley, a spokesperson for the health department, said the unreported hospitalizations were now revealed because the agency incorporated a new data source from the Tennessee Hospital Association into its COVID-19 tracking efforts.
Former nursing home administrator Rick Lucas in an ICU bed battling COVID-19 on Aug. 10, the day a helicopter flew him from a Hendersonville hospital to TriStar Centennial in Nashville

The hospital association receives patient-level virus data from hospitals, which is more detailed than the facility-level data hospitals provide to the state government, Tanksley said. The health department only recently figured out how to combine the two sources of information, allowing for a more complete accounting of the virus' impact, she said.

Tanksley said a more complete picture of COVID-19 hospitalizations is "helpful in assessing disease severity, impact of vaccination status, demographics of hospitalized patients."

As of Tuesday, Tennessee was reporting an average of about 7,000 infections and 39 deaths from the virus per day. Nearly 3,300 people were hospitalized with the virus, including 79 children. The state is on pace to set a new record for hospitalizations by the end of the week.
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/health/2021/08/31/tennessee-underreported-covid-19-hospitalizations-5100/5670622001/

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Tennessee figured out a better way to verify their covid hospital data and discovered that they'd been under-reporting their covid hospitalizations by roughly 20%

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/health/2021/08/31/tennessee-underreported-covid-19-hospitalizations-5100/5670622001/

I for one am shocked that my backwoods shithole Republican state is under-reporting covid hospitalizations by so much

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Remind me again why we can't wait until kids are vaxxed to reopen schools?
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1433059147138748419?s=20

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
In what universe does "one in seven" mean "the numbers aren't huge"? That's basically a loving roll of a die. Yes, here, roll this die and if it lands on 1 then you'll have permanent health problems that will impact the entire rest of your life.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Platystemon posted:

If you feel pain, burning, numbness, tingling, or sensitivity to touch on one side of your body, initially with no rash, run to a doctor and get antivirals for your shingles. They help a lot, and they work best if you get them early. Don’t wait for the rash.

Or be like me and be mid-30s with an atypical presentation (it started on the palm of my hand) and get misdiagnosed despite telling the doctor straight up "I've had contact dermatitis and this ain't it chief" :negative: .

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

King Vidiot posted:

In what universe does "one in seven" mean "the numbers aren't huge"? That's basically a loving roll of a die. Yes, here, roll this die and if it lands on 1 then you'll have permanent health problems that will impact the entire rest of your life.
Yeah, and the vast majority of kids are going to be infected within a few months with the way things are going. loving great.

I know the FDA is hyperconcerned about safety in general, including/especially re: giving an EUA for the vaccines under 12, but holy gently caress the vaccines would need to be rather unsafe for kids in order for the vaxx risk to outweigh the risk from being shoved into the covid mines.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah, and the vast majority of kids are going to be infected within a few months with the way things are going. loving great.

I know the FDA is hyperconcerned about safety in general, including/especially re: giving an EUA for the vaccines under 12, but holy gently caress the vaccines would need to be rather unsafe for kids in order for the vaxx risk to outweigh the risk from being shoved into the covid mines.

It's not just safety, it's the efficacy of the new doses. They're much much lower than the adult doses (in the case of the under 5 dose it's a third of the lowest dose tested in the phase 1 trials for under 5s, which does potentially hint they might have seen something spooky in the phase 1s at normal doses), and you can't just assume kids will have the same effect/side effects of you adjust for body weight with vaccines.

But again it's been known for months there would be no vaccine for kids by the start of school and the schools/government should have been adjusting accordingly. It's not like it was some sort of last minute surprise.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 1, 2021

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zugzwang posted:

Remind me again why we can't wait until kids are vaxxed to reopen schools?
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1433059147138748419?s=20

the one guy who could explain it got threadbanned unfortunately

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I had the numbness on one side of my body years ago..... but that ended up being Multiple Sclerosis instead. :shrug:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

ben shapino posted:

spoiler alert: we're not going to build a new normal that is great

BUILD

BACK

BETTER

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zugzwang posted:

It seems there's something going on that they're not making known to the wider public yet, the director and deputy director of the Office of Vaccines Research and Review at FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research just announced they were stepping down: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/31/health/fda-vaccine-officials-step-down/index.html

It was pretty sudden and caught the department off guard, they're scrambling to replace them: https://endpts.com/breaking-in-a-major-blow-to-vaccine-efforts-senior-fda-leaders-stepping-down-report/
That article cites schisms between the FDA and the CDC & White House as a factor but it's light on details

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

the one guy who could explain it got threadbanned unfortunately

"explaining it" is extremely generous. it was rather more "pinching one off into the thread"

pretty sure the explanation was basically a while loop of:

• no study shows we should shut down, and this one economist said we shouldn't shut it down, so let er' rip
  • my wife is an icu nurse and she isn't seeing kids die, so it's cool, let er' rip
  • i hate my children and don't want to deal with them

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's not just safety, it's the efficacy of the new doses. They're much much lower than the adult doses (in the case of the under 5 dose it's a third of the lowest dose tested in the phase 1 trials for under 5s, which does potentially hint they might have seen something spooky in the phase 1s at normal doses), and you can't just assume kids will have the same effect/side effects of you adjust for body weight with vaccines.

But again it's been known for months there would be no vaccine for kids by the start of school and the schools/government should have been adjusting accordingly. It's not like it was some sort of last minute surprise.
Were they were testing multiple doses for each age range, not just one? Because uh, time is of the essence.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It seems there's something going on that they're not making known to the wider public yet, the director and deputy director of the Office of Vaccines Research and Review at FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research just announced they were stepping down: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/31/health/fda-vaccine-officials-step-down/index.html

It was pretty sudden and caught the department off guard, they're scrambling to replace them: https://endpts.com/breaking-in-a-major-blow-to-vaccine-efforts-senior-fda-leaders-stepping-down-report/
That article cites schisms between the FDA and the CDC & White House as a factor but it's light on details
Yeah, things here aren't looking awesome.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

NecroBob posted:

"explaining it" is extremely generous. it was rather more "pinching one off into the thread"

pretty sure the explanation was basically a while loop of:

• no study shows we should shut down, and this one economist said we shouldn't shut it down, so let er' rip
  • my wife is an icu nurse and she isn't seeing kids die, so it's cool, let er' rip
  • i hate my children and don't want to deal with them

seems awfully small minded of you not to consider that a good explanation just because it doesn't make any sense

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I'm from Alabama, and I say kill 'em all!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think i already used that one

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

ben shapino posted:

All the people from Alabama? I'm on it boss!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Zugzwang posted:

Were they were testing multiple doses for each age range, not just one? Because uh, time is of the essence.

In phase 1 back in March-May yeah, but that's one of the main points of phase 1.

They tested 30mg (the adult dose), 20mg, and 10mg back in phase 1 for under 12s and when they moved on to phase 2/3 they went with 10mg for 5-11 and 3mg for under 5s.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 1, 2021

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Platystemon posted:

I have a patch of scars on my shoulderblade from what was probably shingles (I never got it diagnosed because I didn't think of it at the time. I figured it was a heat rash or eczema or something until it bubbled up and started scarring). It sucks. Don't get shingles.

I had chicken pox really badly as a kid (pre-vaccine). I had them on my tonsils. I had them inside my eyelids. I had them on my eardrums. The doctor was like "wow". So I am probably chock full of dormant pox viruses ready to shingle :v:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ben shapino posted:

Statistically speaking it's likely with enough waves.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I never had chicken pox as a kid (or adult), but have had shingles once. I wonder if my immune system fought off chicken pox as a kid (non-symptomatic), but I still had the dormant virus waiting to pop up again.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Tagra posted:

I have a patch of scars on my shoulderblade from what was probably shingles (I never got it diagnosed because I didn't think of it at the time. I figured it was a heat rash or eczema or something until it bubbled up and started scarring). It sucks. Don't get shingles.

I had chicken pox really badly as a kid (pre-vaccine). I had them on my tonsils. I had them inside my eyelids. I had them on my eardrums. The doctor was like "wow". So I am probably chock full of dormant pox viruses ready to shingle :v:

Wow. That is horrifying!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

I never had chicken pox as a kid (or adult), but have had shingles once. I wonder if my immune system fought off chicken pox as a kid (non-symptomatic), but I still had the dormant virus waiting to pop up again.

I had a full-body itchy rash in my teens that I knew couldn't be measles or chicken pox, as I'd had both, and it turned out to be an allergic reaction to some random virus that was otherwise not affecting me. Immune systems, man.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

King Vidiot posted:

Outside of pockets of the internet, it seems like in the outside world people pretend that either this pandemic isn't happening or that if it is, it's a mild nuisance at best. This poo poo sucks, almost every day is depressing and there's the looming threat of death (for other people and kids, me and everybody I know is vaxxed), I don't really want to go anywhere or do anything even if I'll probably survive even if I get the COVID. And yet I have to treat it like it's fine or normal, and everybody else has to put up this facade of normalcy and it kills me. I just want to look somebody in the eye and be like "this sucks, everything sucks right now, right?" and have them agree. It's good to know that things are, in fact, bad and that I'm not crazy for thinking that.

I'm right there with you, fam. Everything does suck. I hope you can find a way to still find something that genuinely makes you happy, though. There's ways, I promise.

RE: shingles, i got them at 21. I was living in a lovely apartment complex and went to school full time so it's 100% something i contracted at one of the two places. They suck and I was thinking about getting the small patch of scars (on upper left abdomen for some reason) fixed up by a dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon. It's not like it makes me feel disgusting or anything, but it's something i want to remove. Has anyone had a surgery/procedure to do that?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
LOL

https://twitter.com/TheTomGeorge/status/1432895534210060292

On a more serious note, the Manhattan District Attorney's office just busted up a fake vaxx card conspiracy where they were selling the cards online for $200 but actually entering the details into the state immunization database so if anyone checked they'd show as genuine

quote:

NEW YORK -- Fifteen people were charged Tuesday in what the Manhattan District Attorney's office called a fake vaccine card conspiracy.

Among those charged is a woman who allegedly sold 250 fake cards on Instagram, believed to be among the first alleged seller of phony vaccine cards charged in the country.

Officials say 31-year-old Jasmine Clifford sold the forged cards over social media and worked with 27-year-old Nadayza Barkley to fraudulently enter at least 10 people into the New York State Immunization Information System database.

Thirteen people who purchased the cards -- all of whom are believed to work in frontline and essential-employee settings, including hospitals and nursing homes - were also charged.

According to court documents, Clifford, a self-described entrepreneur with several online businesses, advertised the fake vaccination cards through her Instagram account, @AntiVaxMomma, starting in May 2021. She allegedly charged $200 for the fake cards and accepted payments through CashApp or Zelle.
https://abc7chicago.com/fake-vaccine-card-fraud-scam-conspiracy/10991423/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

entering the details into the state immunization database

Please tell me they’re being charged with all the cybercrime laws I normally complain are overly broad.