Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Chad Sexington posted:

This was definitely a crack but not a ping. I don't understand how you surrender to the virus. It's just baked in that 2% of people are going to die? Old people, the immunocompromised, the unvaccinated chuds... sorry you're going to get it no matter what gently caress you.

Hospital ICUs are collapsing under the strain and it's still summer... Come on ping, where are you?

the ping happened months ago you're just in quiet acceptance now imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Political, financial, whatever actors do not need to be engaged in a conspiracy to coordinate behavior in a way that benefits all of them.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Thinking about when I needed emergency surgery to save my life which was 1 day after diagnosis and how if it happened today I wouldn't have made it

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

This new normal sucks!

Calvin peeing on Alpha Delta Mu

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Coldrice posted:

I decided to work on a game to make people realize how easy it is to catch covid.

This game represents a factory of 250 people. This is full open'r up style with no protections.

They work from 8am-6pm, then they go home. Currently it starts with a single infected person.

each person is randomly generated by age, weight, gender, ethnicity, as dictated by 2020 census data.

A person requires 15 minutes of in game time contact to get infected. Severity of covid is random based on the CDC statistics of how infections progress. It is also modified by age/weight/ethnicity/gender/etc...

People who are "hospitalized" do not count towards the pool or infect others (since they'd be hospitalized)

I'd like to add a thing where you can hover over a person to see their stats, give them a mask, or vaccinate them. A slider for how fast times moves. Maybe add walls? I dunno. I just want people to see how fast it spreads

Color key:
white - nothing
green - mild symptoms
dark green - sick
Yellow - very sick/Hospitalized
Red - ICU
Purple - Dead

This is cool - well done

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Coldrice posted:

I decided to work on a game to make people realize how easy it is to catch covid.

This game represents a factory of 250 people. This is full open'r up style with no protections.

They work from 8am-6pm, then they go home. Currently it starts with a single infected person.

each person is randomly generated by age, weight, gender, ethnicity, as dictated by 2020 census data.

A person requires 15 minutes of in game time contact to get infected. Severity of covid is random based on the CDC statistics of how infections progress. It is also modified by age/weight/ethnicity/gender/etc...

People who are "hospitalized" do not count towards the pool or infect others (since they'd be hospitalized)

I'd like to add a thing where you can hover over a person to see their stats, give them a mask, or vaccinate them. A slider for how fast times moves. Maybe add walls? I dunno. I just want people to see how fast it spreads

Color key:
white - nothing
green - mild symptoms
dark green - sick
Yellow - very sick/Hospitalized
Red - ICU
Purple - Dead

To enter god mode enter IVMCRC

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Schnorkles posted:

Political, financial, whatever actors do not need to be engaged in a conspiracy to coordinate behavior in a way that benefits all of them.

Likewise, sometimes incredibly stupid and shortsighted decisions from those in power are just incredibly stupid and shortsighted decisions with no deeper, meaningful goals.

It's idiots all the way up. We're essentially being sacrificed due to a combination of greed and stupidity, with a lot of emphasis on the latter.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yes I know decisions are being made, my point was it does not have to be an agreement among them with a unified strategy. They have similar goals and will find reasons to open up schools or workplaces or whatever and some may not literally be trying to kill people, but their intent is irrelevant.

I agree there. It can just be from a direct lack of empathy and they're unwilling to expend political capital to have another year of home schooling. There doesn't need to be intent. Just an unwillingness to do anything. Which to me is not exactly the same thing, but close.

Intent is relevant because it will determine the extent of the damage and what happens when this inevitably comes again.

AceOfFlames posted:

But isn’t surplus labor a GOOD thing for capital? Don’t they know what happened after the Black Death?

Well that's the rub, isn't it? Capital wants to automate but they're not going to be able to automate that fast right now due to global supply chain issues. There's going to be a lag time between further automation and the jobs to fill them. But if you fully embrace automation you end up with a lot of surplus labor.

Schnorkles posted:

Also this. They tend to feel certain ways about the public at large.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 1, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lansdowne posted:

https://twitter.com/fstonenyc/status/1433089858931724294

just letting this poo poo rot on the shelves instead of doing any work at all to get them somewhere they can be used
lol gently caress this demon nation

quote:

this represents 0.2% of the total covid vaccine doses administered, just so we can all get our outrage calibrated properly

Libs gonna lib.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

College Rockout posted:

I was worried about other people's reactions at first when joining respirator krew but thankfully I'm in king county where nobody even gives it a second look. Unless you're in ivermectin country I don't think anybody really cares. And it's soooo nice wearing a respirator compared to even an N95. With an N95 on I'd still worry about my seal and passing chin diapers but now with a respirator I can walk through crowds of unmasked idgaf.

I live in a large city in Texas. I wore my respirator and safety goggles out for the first time Monday to get a free covid antibodies test as part of a research study. I think people were actively looking away from me, including masked and unmasked people. I overheard a little kid ask "Why is she wearing that?" and her mother responded "Why not? She's being careful."

I am nervous about wearing it to work once we're required to report back to the office, especially since people seemed to have a hard time understanding me with the respirator compared to when I go out with my vogmask. I'm aware of the Honeywell respirator with a speech valve, but I'm not convinced the speech valve sufficiently protects others from my aerosols--I put my hand under the valve and I feel my breathe flow right out! Covering the valve on the other hand would probably muffle my voice, defeating the purpose. My office is apparently planning on doing the pointless "mask off at your desk if you're vaccinated*, masks on everywhere else" as if our cubicles have aerosol-blocking properties...

* and of course, we're relying on the honors system to determine who's vaccinated or not..

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chad Sexington posted:

This was definitely a crack but not a ping. I don't understand how you surrender to the virus. It's just baked in that 2% of people are going to die? Old people, the immunocompromised, the unvaccinated chuds... sorry you're going to get it no matter what gently caress you.

Hospital ICUs are collapsing under the strain and it's still summer... Come on ping, where are you?

the ping is that everything is going according to plan

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
https://www.mlive.com/news/2021/08/texas-anti-mask-freedom-defender-dies-of-covid-at-age-30.html

this guy was 30

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheTomGeorge/status/1432895534210060292?t=Eikcsxule9qUHIgPR_xKOA&s=19

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I didn't need to click the link to know what it was going to say

quote:

“He didn’t want to see a doctor, because he didn’t want to be part of the statistics with COVID tests,” she said.

He then tried unproven ivermectin — a livestock dewormer that has been denounced by the FDA — high doses of vitamin C, zinc aspirin and an inhaler, the Standard-Times reported.

Jessica Wallace told the newspaper she didn’t always share her husband’s views and that she wears a mask.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

just dropped kid off at elementary school
first day of school
so many loving kids
most had good masks on though
time to pace all loving day
will get zero work done
gently caress joe biden
gently caress everything
:theroni:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Caseman posted:

This has been posted before but this feels like the opposite of a crack ping, I kinda feel like my entire brain structure has collapsed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhRb5hnTseU
Dr. John has been a primary source for me this entire pandemic. I believe I found him from CSPAM COVID thread one. I tend to believe he has a good idea what the medical consensus is and a pretty good idea of where we're heading.

So we've just given up? If the current situation in hospitals and schools is us giving a poo poo about this virus, what the gently caress is giving up going to do?
They're going to stop doing free public testing. The number doesn't matter anymore because everyone is going to get it. Everyone. The number of cases will eventually just be the number of people. This is the bleakest this has seemed to me since it began.
Herd Immunity is impossible, it is never coming. This virus is just going to mutate and re-spread through the entire population over and over again until what?

Is public health really completely incompatible with our culture, economy, and government? COVID just wins because we're all so loving stupid? After all the goddamn insane poo poo humanity has managed to survive, this is the thing that's going to actually turn us into a scene from Children of Men.

Yes. Now apply this to climate change.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fwiw that guy absolutely would have lived had he gone to a doctor immediately. Instead he sat at home and used a nebulizer to shoot horse paste and zinc into his lungs, which absolutely accelerated his demise. gg.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tzen posted:

first day of school
so many loving kids
will get zero work done
gently caress joe biden
gently caress everything

welcome to my last 3 weeks friendo

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

but that does not imply that the system was created with that purpose in mind initially.

Anger generally originates in the gap between what we think ought to be and what really is. For example, we get angry when we think we should be treated a certain way and we in reality are not treated that way.

When we create systems, we try to give them a telos, but we fail. We create a given system for a particular purpose we decided on before we created it. But it’s actual purpose is what it does. That gap, that’s contradiction.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Should have gotten the Fizer shot

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Koirhor posted:

welcome to my last 3 weeks friendo
fuuuuuck. will :justpost: through it

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I just crack pinged over the very obvious fact that I had failed to process until now. People are paying to get fake vaccine cards when the actual vaccine is completely free, and probably easier to get.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1433101922114973703 couldn't think of a better place to move my game!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Caseman posted:

This has been posted before but this feels like the opposite of a crack ping, I kinda feel like my entire brain structure has collapsed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhRb5hnTseU
Dr. John has been a primary source for me this entire pandemic. I believe I found him from CSPAM COVID thread one. I tend to believe he has a good idea what the medical consensus is and a pretty good idea of where we're heading.

So we've just given up? If the current situation in hospitals and schools is us giving a poo poo about this virus, what the gently caress is giving up going to do?
They're going to stop doing free public testing. The number doesn't matter anymore because everyone is going to get it. Everyone. The number of cases will eventually just be the number of people. This is the bleakest this has seemed to me since it began.
Herd Immunity is impossible, it is never coming. This virus is just going to mutate and re-spread through the entire population over and over again until what?

Is public health really completely incompatible with our culture, economy, and government? COVID just wins because we're all so loving stupid? After all the goddamn insane poo poo humanity has managed to survive, this is the thing that's going to actually turn us into a scene from Children of Men.

:hai:

acems
May 8, 2019

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I just crack pinged over the very obvious fact that I had failed to process until now. People are paying to get fake vaccine cards when the actual vaccine is completely free, and probably easier to get.

but also you cant suck and gently caress for 6 weeks after your first shot so its faster

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

synapse posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1433101922114973703 couldn't think of a better place to move my game!

another season of New Orleans on the road all year?

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

lmao CNN

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Hearing anecdotes of PCR false negatives in vaxxed, unhospitalized individuals from a doctor relative.

PCR works by binding to a short sequence of DNA complementary to RNA. I'm not sure if they’ve been using the same sequence since march 2020 or if they’ve changed the primers. If one of Delta's ~12 mutations affects the primers binding to this sequence then a PCR test would not detect viral loads. This seems like a relatively easy fix according to him.

Anecdotally, he knows of two people in the past 2 weeks who are obviously positive (loss of taste and smell) who have reported negative PCR tests. My sister had an indeterminate PCR test while her partner had very low CT values (high viral load) yet they both had breakthrough symptoms with neuro involvement.

This raises questions about 1. the current utility of PCR testing and 2. the association between viral load and symptom severity. The latter is probably an artifact of the former.

number go up

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Tzen posted:

first day of school
so many loving kids
will get zero work done
gently caress joe biden
gently caress everything

our iPad won't let us log in to Teams so we are playing in the back yard. it's also frustrating but in a way more bougie and secondary manner than yours.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.
Belichick is crack pinging:

quote:

""No. Look, you guys keep talking about that," Belichick told reporters Wednesday morning.

I would just point out that I don't know what the number is, but the number of players, coaches and staff members that have been infected by COVID in this training camp -- who have been vaccinated -- is a pretty high number. So I wouldn't lose sight of that."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

See also: Apple flavored horse paste

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

skewetoo posted:

Thinking about when I needed emergency surgery to save my life which was 1 day after diagnosis and how if it happened today I wouldn't have made it

I'm imagining dying when my appendix burst.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 368 days!

Only one of these options won't put a tracking device in my body tho

Sent from my iPhone

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

apparently with smallpox there was a whole cottage industry around manufacturing fake vaccination records even though every government around the world was trying to get everyone to get vaccinated. public health officials were resigned to never eliminating the disease because they couldn't get people to do the simplest thing

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
school dashboard update is 4 minutes late. assuming it's because everyone has covid now

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Okay so just to summarize the news from this week (its wednesday) vaccines 0% effective after 5 months, tests don't work, virus is mutating faster now, more kids getting sicker than ever before, 1 in 7 kids getting long covid, 75% of kids getting infected in the next month or two and Dr John is saying open er' up.

Hm.. going to take me a few weeks to unpack and process this, hope nothing else bad happens during that time.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Testvan posted:

lmao CNN

what an improbable and unexpected turn of events

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Good soup! posted:

Should have gotten the Fizer shot

Or the James + Johnson shot

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

when under-21s try to sneak into a bar now, they'll need both a fake ID and a fake vaccination card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
0 new cases for 3 days, looks like Louisiana beat covid :smug: