Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What response are you expecting? This, or something like it, was inevitable the second Mitch McConnell realized he could get away with indefinitely blocking a SCOTUS nomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What if I've already taken the vaccine AND I want to eat horse paste?

Checkmate

https://twitter.com/thomas_violence/status/1431723304058982400

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/status/1431456942132711424

I spent my Friday nights in college getting absolutely blasted, but I guess this is cool too

this death cult isnt moving fast enough for me

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

hmmm the pissing on dallas part has me interested, perhaps the rest of the message is also compelling?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1433064030982311943

Yes good luck winning over those staunch Austin conservatives

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
actively torpedoing it

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/mcohanlon/status/1432717806303338515

Despite all the freaking out yesterday, the courts ruled how they always rule on this stuff and abortion will not be illegal in Texas starting at midnight.

zoux posted:

What response are you expecting? This, or something like it, was inevitable the second Mitch McConnell realized he could get away with indefinitely blocking a SCOTUS nomination.

?

?????????

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The inevitability happened before I thought it would.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Texas leads the nation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1433067010901090307

This thread explains why this one is different (jurisdiction fuckery) than the other 9 heartbeat bills currently enjoined by federal courts. Hopefully, there's a court ruling staying the order in the next few days.

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1433078616435351552

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1433080784907345928

That'd be good because statehouse republicans are real loving mad at dems, they've discovered they can act with impunity and suffer no consequences and the Dems have already used their nuclear option so I'm really dreading the hellmaps that they're going to try to draw next month.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 1, 2021

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

This thread explains why this one is different (jurisdiction fuckery) than the other 9 heartbeat bills currently enjoined by federal courts. Hopefully, there's a court ruling staying the order in the next few days.
Even if they do stay the order soon (and I suspect they will), a lot of damage is already done. Every provider in the region has been put on notice that the federal court system is happy to let abortion rights protections erode without ever explicitly overturning Roe. (Which is exactly the thing that left-leaning SCOTUSologists have been warning about for years now, it's just happening quicker and more overtly than expected.)

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

It's really the best of both worlds for right-wing politics: abortion is de facto illegal, but Roe hasn't officially been overturned, so fundamentalists can keep fundraising on it.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

this loving state

https://twitter.com/mattgertz/status/1433078051907198982?s=21

miscegenation laws live in the hearts of all the “concerned parents” out there

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I got a job offer today in Texas and I just don't know if I want to move back with how crazy it seems to be getting.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I got a job offer today in Texas and I just don't know if I want to move back with how crazy it seems to be getting.

I don't want to move because we have family here and that's what the Republicans want. But gently caress man, I wouldn't move here right now either. It is getting harder to stay. Today, they're voting to eliminate all worker protection ordinances, including LGBTQ anti-discrimination worker protections. Then MAAAYYYBBEEE they'll consider restoring the legislature's budget.

Folks need to realize that there's no end point where Republicans will be satisfied. Banning abortion won't even satisfy the Republicans. They have and will go after contraception. Right now, foster parents can deny teenagers access to birth control if it goes against their "sincerely held religious beliefs" - teenagers who have a high rate of pregnancy and child removal. You can't teach comprehensive sex ed as a school already. They already describe the goal of their lovely Alternatives to Abortion program as "promoting childbirth". Not healthy families, not even healthy babies - just physically giving birth.

Also, on that principal..."Critical Race Theory" fearmongering and legislation predictably became a ban on "teaching while black". All they had to do was have racist parents accuse him, and he was taken out.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 1, 2021

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Spacebump posted:

As someone who lives in that city and whose kid would be going to this school district next door: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/inside-southlake-texas-suburb-center-critical-race-theory-battle-looks-n1277748 if I was willing to let him catch COVID. Stay away, I don't see anything getting better here anytime soon. It's loving ridiculous here. I've been looking at ways to get my family out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We had a very mild summer. I don't think Houston hit 100 once. It would be truly the cruelest irony if one of the effects of climate change was making Texas weather more temperate.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Spacebump posted:

What part of Texas, it's a big state

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

lobster shirt posted:

We're all under the same crazy state government.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

waiting for this housing bubble to bust so I can get a house in the Dallas city limits at least

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

zoux posted:

We had a very mild summer. I don't think Houston hit 100 once. It would be truly the cruelest irony if one of the effects of climate change was making Texas weather more temperate.

Yeah the weather right now in Houston is beautiful...

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

dalstrs posted:

Yeah but the people you'll encounter in your day to day life in Midland will be different than if you move to a DFW exurb and that will be different than if you move to what passes for an urban core in Houston.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

lobster shirt posted:

Dallas

dalstrs posted:

lobster shirt posted:

Yeah but the people you'll encounter in your day to day life in Midland will be different than if you move to a DFW exurb and that will be different than if you move to what passes for an urban core in Houston.

The Republicans aren't going to stop until the state is absolutely ruined. I don't want to get stuck in Texas while this happens. In addition, I assume the pandemic is going to be worse at Christmas and I likely wouldn't be able to see my family for a long time after getting back to Texas as I wouldn't be traveling for a long time. Not that many vacation days combined with not wanting to fly is a terrible combination.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So what happens if you use your now legal sidearm and fire at a crazy pregnant woman in self defense murdering the baby but the mother to be doesn't die? Do you get sued because you performed an illegal abortion, or are you protected because you only fired in self-defense?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
No way I'd move to Texas ether.

Conservatives are just going to ratchet up the crazy, passing all sorts of crazy poo poo betting that SCOTUS oks it no matter how absurd it is.

I think that they've collectively decided to make Texas some sort of last redoubt for "conservatism." And that (assuming they don't counter act this by driving progressives/liberals/non-whites out of the state) when demographics start threatening that even with massive disenfrancment that they will resort to violence to maintain power.

I'm kind of stuck here due to my career and family ties but I'd suggest you not do that to yourself.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Numlock posted:

No way I'd move to Texas ether.

Conservatives are just going to ratchet up the crazy, passing all sorts of crazy poo poo betting that SCOTUS oks it no matter how absurd it is.

I think that they've collectively decided to make Texas some sort of last redoubt for "conservatism." And that (assuming they don't counter act this by driving progressives/liberals/non-whites out of the state) when demographics start threatening that even with massive disenfrancment that they will resort to violence to maintain power.

I'm kind of stuck here due to my career and family ties but I'd suggest you not do that to yourself.

Same. Watching this poo poo go down here is kind of horrifying because I can't leave and live with myself.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

While the anti-abortion, anti-education, pro-gun, and voter suppression laws are bad, I don't think they're quite apocalyptic. It's livable, even though it's got some bad hands at the helm. You'll probably find a lot of like-minded people living here, even if they don't have much political voice.

The...uh...power grid failures though, that was life-threatening, killed a lot of people, and there's zero guarantees it's getting fixed. So that's probably the main thing to worry about when moving here.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Spacebump posted:

TBH i've lived here most of my life and even I'm heavily considering it. When your voice is repeatedly snuffed out to the point where the other party is doing so well that only the craziest of GOP lead the state for decades, you get burned out. There's a lot to love here, but you are seriously cutting yourself down on lots of things that most other states take for granted. I don't think a slightly cheaper cost of living and good tex-mex is enough to overlook the vast swath of bullshit you have to trek through to see the good.

White Light fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 1, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

saintonan posted:

It's really the best of both worlds for right-wing politics: abortion is de facto illegal, but Roe hasn't officially been overturned, so fundamentalists can keep fundraising on it.

Republican voters won't accept anything less than an overt and complete Roe overturn. If the SCOTUS hedges even a fraction of an inch when the Mississippi case comes up, there will probably be blood, and if there isn't blood there will at least be significant electoral consequences either in the form of voters staying home or even worse extremists finding primary support. The tiger is too far out of its cage now.

The only question is how much Gorsuch and Beer actually care about what they were put there to do now that they've got the power and no way to hold them accountable. Barrett is a cultist, Thomas is married to a cultist and doesn't give a poo poo about anything in life except hurting poor people, and Alito is a pretend scholar cosplaying Scalia looking at a statue of himself in his own brain and thinking how he'll be considered a luminary of conservative jurisprudence by the generations to come, there's no question how any of them will vote when the moment comes. Roberts will just whatever way the majority votes, or alternatively whatever way he thinks will make his personal legacy look better.

Well, that and what if anything the Dems in Congress are prepared to do about it once it happens.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I'm weighing starting to transition and it's getting harder to justify staying here. The only thing keeping me here is my stable job, but the thin guardrail I had is going to get nuked by SB 14 sooooooo.

I don't think I can claim to even be one of those "I love Texas! But we could be better!" people anymore. State's poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm lotta non Texans posting in the Texpol thread it seems

NOssir

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

But if a Proper Texan scorns Dallas, does that turn into a recommendation for out-of-texaners?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who can divine the mind of such? Not I.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

I do believe we'll be wetter overall but it should take the form of more flash flooding. I don't think I've ever seen Austin get such Houston like weather with the tropical seabreeze storms all summer

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Moving to the PNW was the best thing I've ever done - highly, highly encourage all y'all fellow Texans (Ex-Texans? I mean I was born and raised there for the first 28 years of my life I'm always going to be a Texan) to move up here if you can. There's already a ton of us here already! Bunch of Texan Democrats! It's like Austin without all the racism around you (It's just on the eastern side of the state please don't look over there).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

reminder oregon was White Settlement but an entire state

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kirios posted:

Moving to the PNW was the best thing I've ever done - highly, highly encourage all y'all fellow Texans (Ex-Texans? I mean I was born and raised there for the first 28 years of my life I'm always going to be a Texan) to move up here if you can. There's already a ton of us here already! Bunch of Texan Democrats! It's like Austin without all the racism around you (It's just on the eastern side of the state please don't look over there).

Y'all got a state income tax

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

SlothfulCobra posted:

While the anti-abortion, anti-education, pro-gun, and voter suppression laws are bad, I don't think they're quite apocalyptic. It's livable, even though it's got some bad hands at the helm. You'll probably find a lot of like-minded people living here, even if they don't have much political voice.

The...uh...power grid failures though, that was life-threatening, killed a lot of people, and there's zero guarantees it's getting fixed. So that's probably the main thing to worry about when moving here.

Yeah as long as your not in one of the out groups (Trans, poor, undocumented, etc) your fine, probably even thrive.

Stuff like blaming the winter storm on renewables and trying to stop investment in them that has me worried.

Every crisis that is going to come up is going to be met with a completely nonsensical reaction that will make the problem worse.

Wildfires? Arm firefighters and have them hunt for make belive antifa arsonists instead of fighting the fires. Defend any that are not volunteer departments too.

Another winter storm? Make solar illegal and pass a constitutional amendment requiring 100% of the states energy production to come from coal.

Water shortage? How about a law that makes all water property of the oil industry (needed for fracking).

Hurricanes flooding the coast? Lol gently caress you have a law making it child abuse to raise your kid woke or something.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So? We don't pay sales tax which owns extremely hard. Seeing the price of an item and it actually being the price? Worth all the state tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lib states charge income and sales taxes, that's why they're lib states.