Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Childe could have the best weapon in the game and it wouldnt move the needle on his comps much. Like yeah that bow's great for him but it just isnt that important compared to having jade spear on Xiao for example.

What I've always dreamed about for him is a bow or artifact set that has an effect like "enemy gets -20% def for 1 second after being hit by a normal or charged attack".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

My very first pull this morning off of the refreshed glitter store wishes was a Raiden Shogun and the one after that pushed my Sucrose up to c5. I take back everything bad I said about this banner.

:same:

it was storming pretty bad here this morning and look what happened

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Heed my warning for the Anti-Raiden Shogun Training:

I must have done it over ten times, failing each time to survive being hit by the final attack and could not for the life of me figure out what was wrong. Each time I was nuking one of the pylons so I could clear a safe zone from the AoE but it kept failing me. I had plenty of time left after destroying a pylon and could have sworn I was safe and wasn’t getting hit by it, but still failed over and over.

…Klee’s bombs were lighting the grass on fire. Any tick of damage counts as a Fail, it doesn’t have to be from the actual Shogun attack.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Archonex posted:

Also, out of curiosity what level is Baal in that video? Trying to run some math here, since i'm bored and have some free time. Level is part of the calculation for damage when it comes to the defense mult, so it's impossible to know how much damage she's doing by comparison without knowing her level in relation to the level 93 NPC.

Level 90, she is missing some talent levels, artie upgrades and the catch but that's about it.

No Wave posted:

Ayaka C4 is so much better than Raiden C2 it's a joke. Idk why it's being singled out as some special thing.

It increases her ult damage by 42% which is definitely on the higher end of constellation damage improvements but its not like it enables her to do something she could not otherwise or changes her role in any way.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

does anyone want to share with the class the thoma leaks because im struggling to find the actual mechanical details past a video on youtube

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Mix. posted:

does anyone want to share with the class the thoma leaks because im struggling to find the actual mechanical details past a video on youtube

Chinese text:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact_Leaks/comments/pfw0ad/thomas_skills_ingame_only_in_chinese_credits_to/
Translation:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact_Leaks/comments/pfvz1z/thoma_skills_from_dimbreath_not_officially/

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

BabyRyoga posted:

So, I linked my (already established) account to psn so I could get Aloy, and it shows in the pc client that I am connected to a psn account. However, running the game on ps5 gives me the character creation cut scene. Is this supposed to happen?

edit: this probably happened because of Japanese ps5/PSN account and North American PC account -_- might be screwed out of cross play permanently. Good job, garbage game architecture

Yes you used the wrong region. For an NA genshin account you need to use a US PSN account. PS client can't select regions.

MHY can supposedly unlink accounts but it can take a week or so.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

also it looks like even though you can still equip/use the special bow from PS4 the buff is disabled completely on PC, so there's no point in using it off-PS4

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

C6 Oz should still chase electro reactions even if someone else is applying the electro, right? I wonder if there's a potential use case for running Raiden and Fischl together to enable more left clickers to use Oz the same way Sucrose and Ning do.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

AParadox posted:

Level 90, she is missing some talent levels, artie upgrades and the catch but that's about it.

It increases her ult damage by 42% which is definitely on the higher end of constellation damage improvements but its not like it enables her to do something she could not otherwise or changes her role in any way.

Right, so the damage is about on par with what I thought.

The other thing I just realized is that with the way defense works the more over leveled enemies are the more that defense and res debuffing/negation is going to come in handy. If at some point they don't give us a level cap increase for characters and keep stacking levels on enemies to up the difficulty stuff like that is going to be really useful.

Honkai Impact 3 already has something like this in the form of it's spiral abyss type weeklies. Sometimes the bosses and enemies have an ele buff (and I think with the new gear farming system they have a straight up physical defense buff) making def and res stacking one of the ways to get the top rank in your ladder if you don't have the P2W meta or can't brute force it.

It's especially exacerbated in the HI3 version of the spiral abyss since there's a competitive ranking system for some of the weekly events. Better results in comparison to the players you compete against means better primogem equivalent payouts.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 1, 2021

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I have to say that the post-boss fight plot dump where Yae Miko reveals that Scaramouche was originally built by the Raiden Shogun was... a bit out of left field. I was expecting that conversation to end with "it looks like a robot samurai and you've probably killed it a bunch for Kazuha's ascension mats".

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

It looks like Mihoyo forgot about Xinyan too (or else decided creating a new character was easier than fixing a dud). I'm kind of optimistic about him, hopefully we will hear more good things about him as the leaks come out.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Baal bad, Yoimiya good?

Baal Baal black sheep, are you any good?
Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full (of money)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Fishing is kind of fun but man it's going to take a good while to get the Catch, let alone R5 it. Fish respawn every 3 days and the fish you need for it are in specific pools but what spawns in each pool seems random so you might get 1-3 per pool or possibly none.

And some of them are likely to be the ornament versions which you can't cash in.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Raiden can't cook lmao

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Raiden can't cook lmao

She joins the ranks of Bennett and Amber.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Raiden can't cook lmao

Fun fact: It's a play on how she is in HI3, where everyone mooches off of her for the food that she cooks. It's to the point where she is literally the food buff providing chef in one zone, complete with her cooking up food items like in Genshin. Here she's reliant on mooching food off of you without giving anything back on that front like how everyone else does with her in HI3.

Edit: Actually, all around she's basically Bizzaro Raiden Mei. Kind of curious if the white haired woman in that cinematic is going to turn out to be the local Kiana/Sirin equivalent or if one of them is going to be the Tsarina or Paimon before she goes all Unknown Goddess like how they've been telegraphing the crap out of with all the Archon's being their equivalent Herrsher's but different in some way from HI3.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 1, 2021

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I mean if I were Raiden I would totally try to cook food by shooting lightning at it.

I still have the beginner banner up with Noelle. Should I throw some primos to get rid of it or just ignore it forever?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

I mean if I were Raiden I would totally try to cook food by shooting lightning at it.

Not everyone has Klee's talent in cooking and fishing

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Definitely. Ten pulls for eight wishes is a good value.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Got my first ever double 5* fishing for Sara constellations. The agony of C7 Keqing followed immediately by the ecstasy of C1 shogun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
just a reminder that raiden's C2 -60% defense applies to the defense calculation of dealing damage. This is not elemental resist reduction. You will not magically be doing massive damage to Electro Cicins or other enemies with Electro resist with raiden C2. You must still reduce this resistance with VV or other mechanics. This only affects the defense effects caused by enemy levels.

Theoretically, against enemies at your level or higher, you're looking at possibly a 35% damage increase with C2. Not bad at all. Smaller boost against lower level enemies, bigger boost against higher level enemies. Raiden is still going need gear to do respectable damage, though.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Lol another Pyro shielder. If his burst doesn't have ICD problems, though, he'll be a tasty Kokomi enabler.

RE: Raiden. She doesn't feel OP, but her energy generation is felt and appreciated. Open world, she can easily keep bursts topped up for every encounter, as long as you're not wasting her burst, which can happen if you kill things too fast. Her value should increase greatly in longer drawn out fights where you'll be bursting multiple times. I retried Azhdaha with her, XQ, Sucrose, and ZL and breezed through, even borrowing ZL's polearm and leaving him with a level 1 Deathmatch.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Incoherence posted:

I have to say that the post-boss fight plot dump where Yae Miko reveals that Scaramouche was originally built by the Raiden Shogun was... a bit out of left field. I was expecting that conversation to end with "it looks like a robot samurai and you've probably killed it a bunch for Kazuha's ascension mats".
story spoilers:
This has actually been predicted quite some time ago, so seeing the theory confirmed is very refreshing and cool.

Also, everyone's going to keep calling Raiden Shogun/Ei "Baal", aren't they... at least call her Raiden!

Kale
May 14, 2010

Archonex posted:

Fun fact: It's a play on how she is in HI3, where everyone mooches off of her for the food that she cooks. It's to the point where she is literally the food buff providing chef in one zone, complete with her cooking up food items like in Genshin. Here she's reliant on mooching food off of you without giving anything back on that front like how everyone else does with her in HI3.

Edit: Actually, all around she's basically Bizzaro Raiden Mei. Kind of curious if the white haired woman in that cinematic is going to turn out to be the local Kiana/Sirin equivalent or if one of them is going to be the Tsarina or Paimon before she goes all Unknown Goddess like how they've been telegraphing the crap out of with all the Archon's being their equivalent Herrsher's but different in some way from HI3.

Regarding Honkai stuff (at least from the manga) and The Archons they don't seem like they expressly want to wipe out humanity though at least as a unified goal and that while they've had their differences with humans at times are capable of living among them and developing a relationship with them even when they are at the height of their power. The Herscherr's just seem full on "kill all humans" as their deliberate goal at least in the manga to the point where Mei completely flips personalities from a protective good natured big sister type to just unbridled bloodlust and desire to kill and cause as much destruction as possible when she temporarily awakens as the Herscherr of Thunder. Like I've said HI really reminds me of a cross between Gunbuster, Evangelion, Bayonetta and Sailor Moon. Genshin's theme seems to be more sort of what is happening at the end of an era and major turning points throughout the history of these nations as they move on from kind of an age of gods and living in worship them as a constant sometimes oppressive presence in their lives and being in awe/fear of them to one of more self-determination and being on more equal terms with their human personas.

What does seem like a similar them though between Honkai and Genshin is that when humanity is on the rise there's a force that is kind of looking to smack them back down or just be rid of them entirely. In Honkai it seems to be literally the Honkai, whereas in Genshin it's the Unknown God and her apparent faction as well as some of the other gods of Celestia that are implied to be around but just not part of the 7 and don't want them challenging their authority either now or in the future. The story of what happened to Khaenri'ah also seems reminiscent of what happened to Kevin and Dr. Mei's civilization, just more sudden and over night rather than a long hopeless battle with a seemingly unbeatable foe.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 1, 2021

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's Ei, at least that was shown in the trailer.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Kale posted:

Regarding Honkai stuff (at least from the manga) and The Archons they don't seem like they expressly want to wipe out humanity though at least as a unified goal and that while they've had their differences with humans at times are capable of living among them and developing a relationship with them even when they are at the height of their power. The Herscherr's just seem full on "kill all humans" as their deliberate goal at least in the manga to the point where Mei completely flips personalities from a protective good natured big sister type to just unbridled bloodlust and desire to kill and cause as much destruction as possible. Like I've said HI really reminds me of a cross between Gunbuster, Evangelion, Bayonetta and Sailor Moon. Genshin's theme seems to be more sort of what is happening at the end of an era and major turning points throughout the history of these nations as they move on from kind of an age of gods and living in worship and awe of them to one of more self-determination and being on more equal terms with their human personas.

What does seem like a similar them though between Honkai and Genshin is that when humanity is on the rise there's a force that is kind of looking to smack them back down or just be rid of them entirely. In Honkai it seems to be literally the Honkai, whereas in Genshin it's the Unknown God and her apparent faction as well as some of the other gods of Celestia that are implied to be around but just not part of the 7 and don't want them challenging their authority either now or in the future. The story of what happened to Khaenri'ah also seems reminiscent of what happened to Kevin and Dr. Mei's civilization, just more sudden and over night rather than a long hopeless battle with a seemingly unbeatable foe.

The Archons and Celestia don't seem to be working -against- humanity, quite the opposite. I imagine what they're doing is a dual role of suppressing humanity, to avoid the Honkai from deciding humanity has progressed enough as a civilization to be tested (and thus destroyed), while simultaneously finding exceptional humans and granting them visions, with the understanding that these exceptional humans may ascend to Celestia themselves and serve as warriors for an eventual battle against the Honkai. That's my theory about Celestia's actions, at least. There's almost certainly something else going on here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Did my pulls and got Kequing finally. And then the next 10 gave me Raiden Shogun. Was I actually not at pity and just got lucky or what? I don't think it should work like that...

So I've paid 0 attention to any of these new artifacts, what's the set I should be giving Raiden and is that better for Xingqiu than Noblesse now? Also, I managed to get a Sara as well, should I try and get more constellations for her? I didn't look into any of the math for the new characters, I just liked their designs.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't think Tohma can realistically work with Kokomi. The shield fire triggers once per normal attack which means you'll be vaporizing tohma's hits rather than Kokomi's attacks (especially factoring in the jellyfish). His damage is low even when speccing for atk+ER, electro traveler level.

Even if he applies pyro every hit, which seems unlikely given recent designs, it would only really work with cryo damage dealers. And even then every pairing seems a lot weaker than Diluc + Xingqiu (which isnt very strong to start with). If the text I saw was accurate it won't work with melt ganyu either as it only works on normal attacks, not charge attacks. A lot of stuff can change ofc.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Did my pulls and got Kequing finally. And then the next 10 gave me Raiden Shogun. Was I actually not at pity and just got lucky or what? I don't think it should work like that...

So I've paid 0 attention to any of these new artifacts, what's the set I should be giving Raiden and is that better for Xingqiu than Noblesse now? Also, I managed to get a Sara as well, should I try and get more constellations for her? I didn't look into any of the math for the new characters, I just liked their designs.

Getting Keqing reseted any pity you had so you just got lucky (aside from the part where your next 5* was guaranteed to be the banner one)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I still remember the month 2 poster who insisted that pity must be lower than 75 because he rolled all his 5 stars before 50.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Radical posted:

using raiden with eula feels way better than fishl. thats my trip report!

look at these nerds arguing and not hitting stuff with a serpent spine

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

RareAcumen posted:

Pity resets on any 5* so the next was just lucky of course.

Kale
May 14, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Lol another Pyro shielder. If his burst doesn't have ICD problems, though, he'll be a tasty Kokomi enabler.

RE: Raiden. She doesn't feel OP, but her energy generation is felt and appreciated. Open world, she can easily keep bursts topped up for every encounter, as long as you're not wasting her burst, which can happen if you kill things too fast. Her value should increase greatly in longer drawn out fights where you'll be bursting multiple times. I retried Azhdaha with her, XQ, Sucrose, and ZL and breezed through, even borrowing ZL's polearm and leaving him with a level 1 Deathmatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veuhxNzp6C8

It feels like it pays to experiment and try out various stuff and team combinations rather than just complain about one very specific thing when it comes to these characters and get totally hung up on it. For example as apparently atrociously terrible as Yoimiya is supposed to be I saw the above interesting video a few days ago of her doing a solo no damage fight with the Oceanid. While the guy clearly had a 5-star weapon and great five star artifacts that go well with her he also had no constellations, relied a fair bit on execution (doesn't work if the character doesn't have the tools to do something in the first place though), and it's just like I don't know, people could be creative and come up with strategies or come to realizations like hey couldn't this character be a particularly hard counter to this particular situation and then make a video like this guy did (complete with optimal pose strikes), or they could just complain about and repeat the same old stuff a hundred times on reddit about how her burst is in fact yes a single hit frontal AoE that doesn't have the widest range in the world and she's crap crap crap etc. and never do anything fun or kind of cool.

I'm kind of grateful there's some content makers out there like the guy that made that video. It's like an example of what Genshin Youtube COULD be but IMO rarely is and instead just walls of text exclaiming polarizing poo poo at you.

Hazdoc posted:

The Archons and Celestia don't seem to be working -against- humanity, quite the opposite. I imagine what they're doing is a dual role of suppressing humanity, to avoid the Honkai from deciding humanity has progressed enough as a civilization to be tested (and thus destroyed), while simultaneously finding exceptional humans and granting them visions, with the understanding that these exceptional humans may ascend to Celestia themselves and serve as warriors for an eventual battle against the Honkai. That's my theory about Celestia's actions, at least. There's almost certainly something else going on here.

Assuming it really is the same meta-universe perhaps. That would certainly be this massive bombshell to drop on Genshin's sizeable player base compared to Honkai's that they may now need to play that game or be familiar with it to understand things that are happening in Genshin in the future.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Kale posted:

Regarding Honkai stuff (at least from the manga) and The Archons they don't seem like they expressly want to wipe out humanity though at least as a unified goal and that while they've had their differences with humans at times are capable of living among them and developing a relationship with them even when they are at the height of their power. The Herscherr's just seem full on "kill all humans" as their deliberate goal at least in the manga to the point where Mei completely flips personalities from a protective good natured big sister type to just unbridled bloodlust and desire to kill and cause as much destruction as possible when she temporarily awakens as the Herscherr of Thunder. Like I've said HI really reminds me of a cross between Gunbuster, Evangelion, Bayonetta and Sailor Moon. Genshin's theme seems to be more sort of what is happening at the end of an era and major turning points throughout the history of these nations as they move on from kind of an age of gods and living in worship them as a constant sometimes oppressive presence in their lives and being in awe/fear of them to one of more self-determination and being on more equal terms with their human personas.

Oh hey, lore chat. I've posted extensively about this particular topic in the past. The big difference between the two that people have been able to put together is The archons are literally Genshin's versions of Honkai's E.L.F'S similar to Paimon, only evolved. Each and every Archon we know of so far appears to have come from a similar fairy-like being. A cinematic showed in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment that Venti used to be a similar being as Paimon, Zhongli confirmed he was one at one point if you chose certain dialogue options, and the lore mentions Seelies (Literally another word for fairies.) having been an ancient civilization that were intended to guide and help humanity at one point or something like that.

Incidentally, that is roughly the plot of that one manga-only version of HI3's universe where the E.L.F's were the main fighting force to defend Earth. Only it failed when the Herrsher of Earth/gravity showed up after Honkai adapted and evolved to the newer/higher standard of power that the E.L.F'S provided and proceeded to hit Earth so hard that it turned into a black hole/got meteored to doom barring one tiny pocket dimension containing a bunch of humans (that later starved) and some E.L.F'S that were transferred out of that reality.*

Only here, it seems like the goal of the Archons is to constrain humanity (hence why the hints of Honkai are there, but only limited. Since it evolves alongside humanity.) instead of destroying it.

Of course the more we get a peak into ancient history the more this seems to fly out the window. Constraint seems to apply only so long as these Archons and Celestia get their way. The second they don't Celestia throws a fit and starts genociding entire nations. Or the Archons start putting byzantine plots into play to burn the old world (As is the case for the Cyro Archon) away. Which due to that abuse of power lead to the Abyss (also in Honkai, though under a slightly different name) being used by a certain ancient nation. Which lead to hordes of monsters as said nation basically took the high fantasy/fantasy-punk version of "Better to burn out than fade away." to a near apocalyptic conclusion.

It honestly looks like one of the darker/more grim pre-Herrsher of the Void/End post GGZ era Project's that were set up to preserve humanity is in place on Teyvat. IE: One of the one's that was considered so horrible for humanity in the long run (IE: Stunting it's growth and keeping them primitive. And one look outside the main cities tells you how hosed that is for humanity. Ditto for all the crippled or sick people screwed over.) that trying to betray and murder the guy who put it on the table was considered a better option. Or that this is a world where the Sirin/Kiana in GGZ got her way in loving over humanity/recreated the world to be their own personal paradise. Or a similar situation.

Honestly, it's too early to tell whether or not they're going for that route. But Scaramouche's remarks about the sky along with all the other deep lore stuff has really gotten a bunch of folks wondering if it isn't essentially a stealth sequel or altquel to HI3.

Which is interesting, given that the twins are literally rocking the whole Project Ark motif so hard (Their flight patterns are the same as Project Ark's, the wings they have in the intro are literally the flag/emblem of the organization that made Project Ark, and weirdly enough even the gacha is duping the flight patterns of the twins/Ark perfectly as seen in the manga. Couple this with their mission to travel the worlds and it looks like they're the interdimensional equivalent of Project Ark after it suddenly vanished when it hit the edge of the solar system.) that it would genuinely be surprising if it turned out that they weren't basically artificial humans/whatever the Ark duo was meant to do to use their "genetic library" to rebuild humanity off world.

But yeah, you're right that Honkai is heavily based off of Evangelion and other anime. The lead dev is a huge fan of it and basically said that one of the reasons why they moved on from the plot of GGZ to making it HI3's prequel history was because he wanted to make a proper game that was like Evangelion. It kind of looks like the same thing is happening here, with the same caveats that it's a different alternate reality from the GGZ one. Which itself was a different alternate reality from HI3's where humanity didn't find a way to survive and a lot of the stuff regarding Celestia/Honkai/the spiral abyss/the moon/all that jazz got explored more in depth. But all were linked and took place in the same multiverse, in the end. :shrug:

Edit: I forgot as I was posting this that Genshin has a book where the writer straight up looks into Honkai's reality and describes it to a tee alongside two hitherto unseen one's. That entire set of books is trippy as gently caress.

* Incidentally, this is also the manga that shows the chess game between Su and some higher Gnosticism-esque celestial being. Chess motifs are a big thing with the Archon's. What this means no one knows, so far.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 1, 2021

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Got Sara and Raiden, c1 Sucrose and c6 Xiangling, and a Skyward Spine fell out of the Standard banner. Good day.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Archonex posted:

Oh hey, lore chat. I've posted extensively about this particular topic in the past. The big difference between the two that people have been able to put together is The archons are literally Genshin's versions of Honkai's E.L.F'S similar to Paimon, only evolved. Each and every Archon we know of so far appears to have come from a similar fairy-like being. A cinematic showed in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment that Venti used to be a similar being as Paimon, Zhongli confirmed he was one at one point if you chose certain dialogue options, and the lore mentions Seelies (Literally another word for fairies.) having been an ancient civilization that were intended to guide and help humanity at one point or something like that.

Incidentally, that is roughly the plot of that one manga-only version of HI3's universe where the E.L.F's were the main fighting force to defend Earth. Only it failed when the Herrsher of Earth/gravity showed up after Honkai adapted and evolved to the newer/higher standard of power that the E.L.F'S provided and proceeded to hit Earth so hard that it turned into a black hole/got meteored to doom barring one tiny pocket dimension containing a bunch of humans (that later starved) and some E.L.F'S that was transferred out of that reality.

Only here, it seems like the goal of the Archons is to constrain humanity (hence why the hints of Honkai are there, but only limited. Since it evolves alongside humanity.) instead of destroying it.

Of course the more we get a peak into ancient history the more this seems to fly out the window. Constraint seems to apply only so long as these Archons and Celestia get their way. The second they don't Celestia throws a fit and starts genociding entire nations. Or the Archons start putting byzantine plots into play to burn the old world (As is the case for the Cyro Archon) away. Which due to that abuse of power lead to the Abyss (also in Honkai, though under a slightly different name) being used by a certain ancient nation. Which lead to hordes of monsters as said nation basically took the high fantasy/fantasy-punk version of "Better to burn out than fade away." to a near apocalyptic conclusion.

It honestly looks like one of the darker/more grim pre-Herrsher of the Void/End post GGZ era Project's that were set up to preserve humanity is in place on Teyvat. IE: One of the one's that was considered so horrible for humanity in the long run (IE: Stunting it's growth and keeping them primitive. And one look outside the main cities tells you how hosed that is for humanity. Ditto for all the crippled or sick people screwed over.) that trying to betray and murder the guy who put it on the table was considered a better option. Or that this is a world where the Sirin/Kiana in GGZ got her way in loving over humanity/recreated the world to be their own personal paradise. Or a similar situation.

Honestly, it's too early to tell whether or not they're going for that route. But Scaramouche's remarks about the sky along with all the other deep lore stuff has really gotten a bunch of folks wondering if it isn't essentially a stealth sequel or altquel to HI3.

Which is interesting, given that the twins are literally rocking the whole Project Ark motif so hard (Their flight patterns are the same as Project Ark's, the wings they have in the intro are literally the flag/emblem of the organization that made Project Ark, and weirdly enough even the gacha is duping the flight patterns of the twins/Ark perfectly as seen in the manga. Couple this with their mission to travel the worlds and it looks like they're the interdimensional equivalent of Project Ark after it suddenly vanished when it hit the edge of the solar system.) that it would genuinely be surprising if it turned out that they weren't basically artificial humans/whatever the Ark duo was meant to do to use their "genetic library" to rebuild humanity off world.

But yeah, you're right that Honkai is heavily based off of Evangelion and other anime. The lead dev is a huge fan of it and basically said that one of the reasons why they moved on from the plot of GGZ to making it HI3's prequel history was because he wanted to make a proper game that was like Evangelion. It kind of looks like the same thing is happening here, with the same caveats that it's a different alternate reality from the GGZ one. Which itself was a different alternate reality from HI3's where humanity didn't find a way to survive and a lot of the stuff regarding Celestia/Honkai/the spiral abyss/the moon/all that jazz got explored more in depth. But all were linked and took place in the same multiverse, in the end. :shrug:

Edit: I forgot as I was posting this that Genshin has a book where the writer straight up looks into Honkai's reality and describes it to a tee alongside two hitherto unseen one's. That entire set of books is trippy as gently caress.

That's lots to unpack there. Always love me some good lore speculation poo poo. Also apparently Sara and Aloy have become another pair of characters that can kill all the Timmie pigeons before they fly away. Ironic that the nature loving character and the one with the strongest bird motif to date are the ones most viable for killing and harvesting them for ingredients. :D

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pct9FNn8tEU found the vid. Sorry if this was already posted

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Also, as an addendum to all that Childe's real name comes from a myth that is confirmed to have occurred on Earth in setting. Meaning Teyvat is probably not the first time humanity existed unless they're going to retcon the legend of Ajax into the game in a new way. So unless they retcon that by writing their way out of that particular hole it seems like Earth exists in the Teyvat version of the setting.

Teyvat also means "Ark" in Hebrew. Further lending speculation to people wondering if it isn't yet another Project Ark that got cast into the multiverse or something like that. Meaning that the Unknown Goddess might be their local version of Kiana/the Herrsher of Void who somehow managed to track the thing down to finish loving with humanity. And the Twin's are either locals that forgot what they really were and are the real rulers/creators of Teyvat or are their own version of the Ark looking for a place to jumpstart their version of humanity. There's so many hints there that no one is sure why there's two sets of different colored Ark's in the game, aside from the possibility that there's some multiversal shenanigans going on. :shrug:

Edit: I forgot that much like how HI3 was made to be their own personal version of Evangelion/a post-modern sci-fi setting the lead dev mentioned that Genshin partially exists is because HI3 just can't handle open world mechanics as well due to the limitations of the time period it was originally developed in. According to that old interview Genshin is basically what they wanted to do with HI3 gameplay wise for a long time, as far as the open world system goes.

So yeah, it's probable there's going to be some links. Though it's highly doubtful you need to play the prior games to get the full story. Mihoyo is good about introducing setting specific takes on the metaplot.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 1, 2021

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Sara seems like she's ultra clunky to properly buff other people with but I wonder if her numbers are good enough to just be a selfish DPS? Nothing in her kit says she can't benefit from her own ATK buff, she has AoE on both her skill & her burst which is a concern other recent archers had... Probably not worth it in the end since her skill cooldown is a bit high and she's stuck on Electro but she looks too cool to just let sit on the bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Archonex posted:

Also, as an addendum to all that Childe's real name comes from a myth that is confirmed to have occurred on Earth in setting. Meaning Teyvat is probably not the first time humanity existed, unless they're going to retcon the legend of Ajax into the game in a new way. So unless they retcon that by writing their way out of that particular hole it seems like Earth exists in the Teyvat version of the setting.

Teyvat also means "Ark" in Hebrew. Further lending speculation to people wondering if it isn't yet another Project Ark that got cast into the multiverse or something like that. Meaning that the Unknown Goddess is their local version of Kiana/the Herrsher of Void who somehow managed to track the thing down to finish loving with humanity and the Twin's are either locals that forgot what they really were or are their own version of the Ark looking for a place to jumpstart their version of humanity. There's so many hints there that no one is sure why there's two set of Ark's in the game, aside from the possibility that there's some multiversal shenanigans going on. :shrug:

Gets me thinking now that what if (Spoilers for some 80's anime like Megazone 23) Scaramouche's "the skies and stars are false" laughing mad speech could turn out to be that they are on a Macross/Megazone 23 size colony ship that is just projecting a false reality around to make everyone think they are on a regular planet. The sibling also seems to indicate that when they completed their journey that they witnessed something that was just so shocking/enlightening that it lead them to abandon their old belief system and to work towards the unraveling of the current world order in Teyvat because he/she now sees it as harmful somehow. Almost makes me wonder if that was the case that Celestia could be actually be like some sort of control center for such a colony ship.