Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

ewiley posted:

How do you slap someone while holding their wrists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ewiley posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW8LvUvTZhA

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

I dunno who that dude is but you have to be pretty dumb to try and throw hands with an angel.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Frank Frank posted:

I dunno who that dude is but you have to be pretty dumb to try and throw hands with an angel.

I mean Jacob did wrestle with God and sort of got him to a stalemate

Angels can't be any stronger than that

Edit: actually relooking at that pic it is Jacob wrestling with God lol

Seth Pecksniff has a new favorite as of 15:56 on Sep 1, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

This was pretty much what I had in mind to that question which makes it doubly accurate because it's generally the behavior of bullies anyway

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's Jacob, and he would have won that fight if the angel hadn't played dirty

quote:

The same night he arose and took his two wives, his two female servants, and his eleven children, and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. He took them and sent them across the stream, and everything else that he had. And Jacob was left alone. And a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day. When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob's hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. Then he said, "Let me go, for the day has broken." But Jacob said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” And he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, "Jacob." Then he said, "Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed."
I like that at no point is his reason for fighting or even how he met the angel ever explained

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Yeah it's kinda hilarious that Jacob was about to win and the angels like "aw hell naw" and dislocates his hip and also gives him a new name out of the blue?

"I just made you limp. You're also Israel now. Bye!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

low key sex master posted:

the angels like "aw hell naw" and dislocates his hip and also gives him a new name out of the blue?

"Hey YO, are you that angel? I heard you attacked my boy Jacob and he whooped you! lololol"
"Jacob? Why no, I don't know anyone by that name..."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This image would be improved a thousand times if they hadn't misspelled "lo".

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Tiggum posted:

Butt low, so what?

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Tiggum posted:

truly the end is nye for high quality memes

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yellow Yoshi posted:

the end is nye

If he doesn't say this on his deathbed I am going to be extremely disappointed.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

flavor.flv posted:

I like that at no point is his reason for fighting or even how he met the angel ever explained

Any time you get a weird story like that in Genesis, which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense in terms of narrative or theology, the reason is often that it's an adaption of an older legend intended to explain the origin of something (usually a name or a geographical feature). In this story, it appears to be trying to explain the origin of the name of the stream ("Jabbock" sounds like the Hebrew word 'abaq, translated here as "wrestle") and the origin of the name Israel (a combination of sara - here translated as "striven" - and El - one of the old Hebrew words for "God").

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I remember once conservatives were trying to like, cancel Bill Maher, you know, to own the libs. And everyone was like, "Oh no, please no. Don't take Bill Maher from us." :effort:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

ewiley posted:

That's his point - you can't hold both of a woman's arms while also striking her face and therefore we should genocide the Palestinians.

Cleretic posted:

Does Bill Maher even... have positive qualities?
Nah, he's a solid brass oval office.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cocaine Bear posted:

He's talented at looking like this

while making an asinine comment about something topical then missing the point entirely

A rare skillset indeed.

Oh, plus he hates women, brown people, progressives, people who understand science, people who say you shouldn't gently caress children, etc.

https://twitter.com/AdamFriedland/status/871050675383410688

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
unrelated to bill maher or slaps

https://twitter.com/HumansNoContext/status/1432871859566137344

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

I have no idea what this format is or why it exists, but it did make me laugh.

AH

AH

AH

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

flavor.flv posted:

So if I understand this, Jacob and his people were fording a river and while he was watching his family safely cross, some dude just showed up and they wrestled until dawn? Hmm.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/budrykzack/status/1433104492732555273?s=21

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Way better joke starter than knock knoc

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Frank Frank posted:

So if I understand this, Jacob and his people were fording a river and while he was watching his family safely cross, some dude just showed up and they wrestled until dawn? Hmm.

Wrestled so hard he put his hip out. I wish "uh I was fighting with an angel" was still a plausible excuse for stuff.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Blurred posted:

Any time you get a weird story like that in Genesis, which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense in terms of narrative or theology, the reason is often that it's an adaption of an older legend intended to explain the origin of something (usually a name or a geographical feature). In this story, it appears to be trying to explain the origin of the name of the stream ("Jabbock" sounds like the Hebrew word 'abaq, translated here as "wrestle") and the origin of the name Israel (a combination of sara - here translated as "striven" - and El - one of the old Hebrew words for "God").

Thank you so much!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Mmmm that’s some good wrestlin’

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blurred posted:

Please do not let this explanation distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer’s table.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Just going about my business and having some random guy appear to try to kick my rear end is a pretty common occurence for me, so the story doesnt seem all that odd

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Danaru posted:

Just going about my business and having some random guy appear to try to kick my rear end is a pretty common occurence for me, so the story doesnt seem all that odd

Are you fight man of r/relationship fame?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Platystemon posted:

Please do not let this explanation distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer’s table.

And on that day, by God, a man was broken in half.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Blurred posted:

I love this forum so much

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/toriflee/status/1432857794370314240

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hahhahah holy gently caress

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Blurred posted:

i like this explanation, but i can't just believe everything i read on the internet.

Frank Frank posted:

nah, i think this is it. dude was traveling with his people, met a fellow, told his people to cross the river without him. wrasslin' time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Platystemon posted:

:bahgawd:
Bah God it's... well, God!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Skwirl posted:

I hate posting an IGN link, but loving hell this thread.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1432794806598737923?s=20

Show yourself, goon

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1432799778669215745?s=20

E: oh nevermind, I guess that's a 4chan meme. I always thought it was a small bart thing

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wouldn't real-life Archer just look like his voice acto---- oh god why did i look it up

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lobok posted:

Wouldn't real-life Archer just look like his voice acto---- oh god why did i look it up

H Jon Benjamin has talked about how so many fans have basically this exact reaction when meeting him lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

H Jon Benjamin has talked about how so many fans have basically this exact reaction when meeting him lol

I thought it too. It's because most of the rest of the cast look at least similar to their characters, but a show about a suave spy doesn't work if he looks like H John Benjamin.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Skwirl posted:

I thought it too. It's because most of the rest of the cast look at least similar to their characters, but a show about a suave spy doesn't work if he looks like H John Benjamin.
on the other hand, he could easily pass for Coach McGuirk and/or Bob

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Skwirl posted:

There's a great extra on youtube where Archer wakes up in Season 2 looking like H Jon Benjamin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

on the other hand, he could easily pass for Coach McGuirk and/or Bob

I mean, maybe with a wig.