Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

tenderjerk posted:

Wouldn't going with "full endemic let the plague wash over you" approach also make amounts of variants increase drastically

Yep eventually we'll select for a variant that's 100% fatal to unvaccinated people just like that chicken disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Chamale posted:

One injured, none dead. If they close the school for a few days because of this, that school shooter actually saved lives

school shooters, now a deterrent for covid waves? it's self-impeaching the problem

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I Think You Should Leave character who is absolutely terrified of covid but cloaks it in ironic over-security because he doesn't want his friends to think he's a libtard. "Oh, well maybe since HITLER wants me to be vaccinated, I'll get a vaccine every 2 months!!!"

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1432818825972617221

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

sonatinas posted:

can we start with the southern constellations first?

When you see the southern cross (variant) for the first time

You understand now why you came this way

Cause the truth you might be running from is so small

But it's as big as the promise

The promise of a coming day

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What do we do when there are more variants than stars in the sky?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

"What's your sign?" now means which covid variants have you been infected with most recently

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Got the booster, no need for fake names / "its my first dose". CVS only asked for old vax cards and if we were immunocompromised.

No appointment, just walked in and processed it as uninsured. If for some reason we get a bill in the mail in the future, who cares. Boosted up and ready to fly on 9/11, a week after labor day weekend!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They think that there's a population of "weak" people who society is better without.

Once they die off due to the disease, the disease goes away since it only affects the "weak" and everyone else benefits. The wonders of social darwinism!

I think they simply don't care and see any attempt to eradicate the virus as being either impossible because hard things are hard/chuds exist, or bad for Number; once you eliminate strategies that are hard/make neoliberals upset and strategies that scare Number, what you have left is mass death and wave after wave of sickness and just being ok with that general vibe.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I wonder if it was a student like usual or is it a disgruntled parent pissed about mask mandates coming in to blow off some steam this time?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Eric is a space nerd, time to cancel him.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Andromeda strain when

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Covok posted:

I think they're convinced it will "level out." Like the Ghoul Minister of the Unites Kingdom was saying that they can PRICE IN 50k deaths a year. What they don't get is that is never happening. It's never getting down to just 50k.

Someone calculated that 50k covid deaths a year in the UK would counteract population growth and gradually collapse British society within a few decades

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Labored breathing day weekend

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Lacrosse posted:

Look they told us that we have to learn to live with the virus now, and what that means is we have to get used to a new normal where modern medicine no longer exists so we need to find a local witch doctor to prescribe us herbal remedies going forward

or a veterinarian or tractor supply store

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Chamale posted:

You can pay $20 to the CDC and they name a variant after you.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Covok posted:

I think they're convinced it will "level out." Like the Ghoul Minister of the Unites Kingdom was saying that they can PRICE IN 50k deaths a year. What they don't get is that is never happening. It's never getting down to just 50k.

Boris said he'd be able to live with 50,000 dead per year from COVID in the UK without imposing new restrictions

The equivalent to that in America when comparing populations would be 250,000 dead per year

I wonder if they can get Biden on record saying he's cool with 250,000 dead Americans per year

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Chamale posted:

then we will cough our lungs up in the shade

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Crazypoops posted:

Labored breathing day weekend

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

go the other way and have your astrology signs be covid variants

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
lol time to bankrupt people

https://www.fox17online.com/news/coronavirus/covid-care-in-michigan-will-get-more-expensive-starting-at-the-end-of-next-month

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

looking forward to when we exhaust all the known stars and start scraping the bottom of the astronomer barrel to get the goofy ones like Mr. Hans' Favorite Star #1 420-69-69 Boners

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Chamale posted:

start naming stars after covid variants lol

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

mod sassinator posted:

looking forward to when we exhaust all the known stars and start scraping the bottom of the astronomer barrel to get the goofy ones like Mr. Hans' Favorite Star #1 420-69-69 Boners

I really doubt that we'll get more than like 150 variants before they stop bothering with names.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

McNugget Buddy posted:

Boris said he'd be able to live with 50,000 dead per year from COVID in the UK without imposing new restrictions

The equivalent to that in America when comparing populations would be 250,000 dead per year

I wonder if they can get Biden on record saying he's cool with 250,000 dead Americans per year

On a given day in the United States, you're looking at 7700-7800 deaths given a population of about 330m.

In 2019 they broke down like this, stolen from the CDC site:

Number of deaths: 2,854,838
Death rate: 869.7 deaths per 100,000 population

Heart disease: 659,041
Cancer: 599,601
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 173,040
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 156,979
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 150,005
Alzheimer’s disease: 121,499
Diabetes: 87,647
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 51,565
Influenza and Pneumonia: 49,783
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,511

Just giving up and saying "gimme 250k covid deaths a year, I don't give a gently caress" would make it, by far, the leading non-natural (not of internal origin) cause of death in the country.

I wouldn't be surprised if covid-19 tops cancer when all's said and done for 2021, since we're already over 350K.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Feldegast42 posted:

Someone calculated that 50k covid deaths a year in the UK would counteract population growth and gradually collapse British society within a few decades

Never said they weren't fuckheads.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

When you see the southern cross (variant) for the first time

You understand now why you came this way

Cause the truth you might be running from is so small

But it's as big as the promise

The promise of a coming day

this was on the radio the other day in the car and I found out that if you replace "the southern cross" with "your father's balls" it works out

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,511

aka posting in DND

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

lmao jesus christ

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Korean Boomhauer posted:

lmao jesus christ

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

This reminds me that Robotech is on funimation.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I mean I guess another path that may be a bit more likely is that we end up with a huge supply of banging antibodies and attached to every pharmacy is a covid clinic so when you inevitably test positivity you can just cram it in your veins

This would mean some coordinated testing approach but I’m sure that won’t be a problem

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Open Biden

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
DELTA WAVE SHOWS SIGNS OF POTENTIAL CRESTING

-headline from weekly consulting report at my company about covid

Subheads:

New cases & hospitalizations are showing signs of a possible peak
Daily hospital admissions growth has decelerated significantly
Stalling in activity due to Delta...travel areas showing modest slippage

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Sunny Side Up posted:

Subheads:

I mean I know it's eventually going to but I'd love to see it fake us out a few more times just for lols

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao on this for Pfizer booster shots while the CDC is waiting on the science !

Israeli study on booster shot effectiveness found a 9.5 - 14.5 decrease in risk after getting the 3rd Pfizer booster
shot in terms of reducing infections for Pfizer shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDx8nRWuC3Q

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sunny Side Up posted:

Subheads:

The delayed reporting strategies creating headlines every day that the surge is subsiding is pretty incredible.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1433127055047241732

The dearth of leadership or any real response to covid has led to everyone just choosing their own adventure around the virus based on their own personal pet peeves.

force everyone to buy $12.99 salads for lunch. sounds like a liberal dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

they are so desperate for the wave to peak lol everything is hanging by a thread lmao