Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Coredump posted:

It seemed from the press videos there was a model of the Toyota GR86 without the Subaru Eyesight system. My question is there a BRZ trim that doesn't have it either?

Eyesight is only available on the automatic twins. It’s not an option for the manual GR86/BRZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Coredump posted:

The scale on the torque graph make the torque dip look massive.

It seemed from the press videos there was a model of the Toyota GR86 without the Subaru Eyesight system. My question is there a BRZ trim that doesn't have it either?

Holy smokes that torque curve looks just as hosed as before. What causes that? And didn’t the aftermarket figure out how to fix it on the first gen?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
At least peak torque comes on sooner lol

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've been in boxer-engined cars before and they never felt like they had any sort of dip in power midway through the rev range. What the gently caress is going on with these cars?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've been in boxer-engined cars before and they never felt like they had any sort of dip in power midway through the rev range. What the gently caress is going on with these cars?

Switchover of the fuel injection methods I believe - There's a port as well as a direct fuel system. MCM did a video on it and how to tune the dip out.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I figure it’s some byproduct of tuning to hit some regulatory target, to pass some test cycle for emissions or what have you.

Edit: or that ^^^ makes way more sense

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Also that video does not feature a stock BRZ - its got an exhaust on it so I'd be somewhat hesitant to draw too much from it until we see a genuine bog stocker.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Holy smokes that torque curve looks just as hosed as before. What causes that? And didn’t the aftermarket figure out how to fix it on the first gen?

Oh my god yeah I thought they improved that

think solution aftermarket is to replace the exhaust headers/cat and tune it so assume that would still work here

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Ace header and tune completely removed the dip on my old BRZ.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coredump posted:

The scale on the torque graph make the torque dip look massive.

Dynapacks always look weird

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also that video does not feature a stock BRZ - its got an exhaust on it so I'd be somewhat hesitant to draw too much from it until we see a genuine bog stocker.

The video with the WRB BRZ has a stock exhaust. The white BRZ I posted earlier looks slightly modified though.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Gangringo posted:

On the new Maverick it's over $2k

Most cheaper cars won't outright charge you a bunch of money for it, they'll just make sure you have to go up a trim level to get it.

I bet cruise could be added for the cost of the steering wheel buttons and unlocking it with forscan.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I feel like if the dip was noticeable all the journos would be screaming about it on YouTube.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh my god yeah I thought they improved that

think solution aftermarket is to replace the exhaust headers/cat and tune it so assume that would still work here

So add another couple of grand to the initial price of the car just to get rid of the torque dip, lol.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I’m hoping with that torque peak early in the rev range there would be some flexibility left that with tuning you could smooth out the curve.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Russian Bear posted:

I feel like if the dip was noticeable all the journos would be screaming about it on YouTube.

Just going to echo this. Every bit of impressions about the car so far do not call attention to any dip (and in fact say it's gone from the previous car.) So, probably would be wise not to get too worked up yet.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
don't care still buying one

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Just going to echo this. Every bit of impressions about the car so far do not call attention to any dip (and in fact say it's gone from the previous car.) So, probably would be wise not to get too worked up yet.

Based on those dynos the new torque dip is still higher than the peak of the old car.

BraveUlysses posted:

hell yeah. Is your estimated delivery date still in Nov or did it get bumped up to Oct?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
October but no specific date known yet.

I recently got an email from the salesman indicating it had entered production.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

For sure, but it would be kinda lame if you felt like you had to fix a torque dip when it didn't have to have one to begin with for anything other than EPA reasons

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Still blows my mind Subaru prices the WRX cheaper than the BRZ.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Having owned both at the same time, the BRZ is the better car (at least compared to last gen WRX.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Applebees Appetizer posted:

For sure, but it would be kinda lame if you felt like you had to fix a torque dip when it didn't have to have one to begin with for anything other than EPA reasons

imo its good to regulate pollution

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Variable geometry headers when
(never)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Coredump posted:

Is anyone lining up to buy the WRX?

It's probably a pretty great option with a manual for an enthusiast car right now that still has some old school feel, but it seems I don't see it mentioned much.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Russian Bear posted:

It's probably a pretty great option with a manual for an enthusiast car right now that still has some old school feel, but it seems I don't see it mentioned much.

It's lovely because it's a sedan. Call me when they bring back the hatch.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
It hasn’t had much change in 6 years. The new one will be announced any day now and I’m sure it will make some waves.

Edit:

Nohearum posted:

:hmmyes:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Coredump posted:

I said this same thing ITT before and as was pointed out then, the WRX is basically just another car they already sell with some go-fast slapped onto it, so the cost to develop it is lower.

The BRZ -- sure they split the cost with Toyota -- is a lot more unique parts/R&D and is going to cost more just because of that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Coredump posted:

not surprising when the WRX is ugly as gently caress

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The frustrating thing is all the bits appear to be there already, they just aren't all available in one car.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BraveUlysses posted:

not surprising when the WRX is ugly as gently caress

In fact, they'd have to pay me to drive it!

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I figure it’s some byproduct of tuning to hit some regulatory target, to pass some test cycle for emissions or what have you.

Edit: or that ^^^ makes way more sense

Could easily be both.

Back at uni, I was with a Formula SAE racing team and we had the chance to go visit the Toyota USA Museum in Torrance just before it closed. There was a relatively high up public relations/exec/something?? guy in attendance and he gave a bunch of us that had wandered into the museum a tour, and when someone asked him that question that's the answer he gave. That the torque dip is to hit a emissions target, with their reasoning being people who care about it will tune it out anyways so they 'left it up to the aftermarket'. This was in 2017 or so IIRC so maybe things are different now.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

since the Hyundai Santa Cruz is a big boy… new Dodge Rampage when?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Nohearum posted:

When the WRX had a wagon, it was better. When it became a hatch is when the nameplate went off the rails. Went softer and that rear suspension ...... not enough gently caress you to whomever came up with that nearly impossible to dial in idea.

Symetrique posted:

The video with the WRB BRZ has a stock exhaust. .

Think I missed that one...?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

When the WRX had a wagon, it was better. When it became a hatch is when the nameplate went off the rails. Went softer and that rear suspension ...... not enough gently caress you to whomever came up with that nearly impossible to dial in idea.

Think I missed that one...?

This one:

kimcicle posted:

Another dyno video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H-gzIIGdiI
221.44 ps @ 6769 rpm at the rear hub. Promising numbers.

I'm sure we'll see more soon now that deliveries have started.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Russian Bear posted:

The reviews I’ve seen all say it is still there but much improved and better low down torque makes it even less noticeable.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

My impression of the current WRX is that it only really sells to Subaru loyalists. Anyone who had the money for a Golf R bought that instead, and everyone shopping in the price bracket that the WRX lives in decided that they could compromise on either the manual or AWD.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I said this same thing ITT before and as was pointed out then, the WRX is basically just another car they already sell with some go-fast slapped onto it, so the cost to develop it is lower.

The BRZ -- sure they split the cost with Toyota -- is a lot more unique parts/R&D and is going to cost more just because of that.

No way Subaru had money to spend on BRZ, pretty sure Toyota foot that whole bill so the answer to "why doesn't Subaru do x" is always "Toyota wanted y".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Symetrique posted:

This one:

I'm sure we'll see more soon now that deliveries have started.

Okay yeah that torque curve is messy but not like hugely noticable dips fro a drivers perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Okay yeah that torque curve is messy but not like hugely noticable dips fro a drivers perspective.

Yeah here's the dyno from the stock car vid if anyone's curious:

1 kgm = 7.233 lb-ft, so it loses about 18 ftlbs from 3500 rom to 4300. It looks like it loses 32.5 lbft from the torque peak of 26.5 kgm @ 3300 rpm to 22 kgm at 4300 rpm. TUNE TIME.