Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Gotta love just how many WWII era weapons got turned into space guns in the 70's and 80's

Hell, Star Wars went back to pre-WWI with Han Solo's gun being a Mauser C96 (first produced in 1896) plus greebles. The Mandalorian is packing a si-fi'd up Bergmann 1894. I'm just surprised no one's used the Whitney Wolverine, give it looks like a Buck Rogers space pistol without any modification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

now i know that the steadicam armatures were not just to look cool but also practical :eng101:

also probably another reason Jenette Goldstein got her role, having been fresh off of pro gymnastics training.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

HiroProtagonist posted:

now i know that the steadicam armatures were not just to look cool but also practical :eng101:

also probably another reason Jenette Goldstein got her role, having been fresh off of pro gymnastics training.
Wait what

RE movie guns based off of real firearms: I like that modern firearms are starting to proliferate movies and how they're still tarted up.

Jack (Tom Cruise) is using a rifle based off the Remington ACR.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Jenette Goldstein (Vasquez) was a trained gymnast before she decided to pursue acting as a career instead, and when she auditioned for the role in Aliens in particular she was loving jacked. In her words "in the best shape of her entire life," so it makes sense she would be well suited to be toting around a heavy-rear end unwieldy prop gun. The armatures (those support arm things) for the smartguns were made from repurposed Steadicam rigs and harnesses.

I wasn't sure which part you found confusing so i just explained everything lol

e: oh just noticed your bolding. oh well, covered it!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

JG founded/runs a small chain of bra boutiques specifically for big-titty ladies, has an elite athletic background, donates a bunch to causes for girls in underserved communities, and was in three of the most iconic films of our generation as well as her whole filmography being poo poo you saw her in but didn't register at the time. She is the best kind of famous: not a household name superstar, but you would absolutely want to hang out with her for the stories alone. She completely owns

E: kinda beaten, whatever

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That's pretty cool Jenette was a gymnast. I wonder if she tried for the Olympic team.

I watched Near Dark a bit ago and I enjoyed the Aliens cast getting back together. :unsmith:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Having given it some time to sit, Alien 3 also annoys me because that xenomorph just shouldn't be on such a frenetic killspree. It's doing the "minimouth through the brainpan" kills more than anything, and is trying to speedrun Fury 161 kills. But it knows there are like 2 dozen people there total, Ripley even points out it's a lion staying close to the zebras, and it also knows there's an alien queen going to be born soon. An alien queen that is going to need some feeding up, sure, but which is mostly going to need cocooned victims for all those lovely fresh eggs about to be laid.

Leaving the humans alive, or just webbing them up ready for impregnation later, both make sense. I can't even accept that it's trying to kill all the dudes who might be a threat to the unborn queen as they've got no weapons are just running around screaming. Hell, capturing Ripley and taking her off somewhere to web up would make more sense if that was the instinct, make a nice hive themed birthing room up in the ducts.

In Alien, they cut the cocoon scenes, but as it doesn't show them dead you can easily just go ahead and assume they got stored away for later rather than just getting murked. But in Alien3 it's just frenziedly chomping through those guys and it just seems so... wasteful.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea it's a problem with most, if not all monster movies. They're always running around killing everything they lay their eyes on, which is (almost) never how actual animals behave.

I played an hour or so of Fireteam and it seems pretty fun, but I do wish the music was more like the intense martial drums and stuff in Aliens

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

etalian posted:

The smart guns were based off of the MG42 and the prop weapons were so heavy that they had numerous near miss accidents/Faceplants during the action scene shooting.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Something I didn't realize (but in retrospect is completely obvious) until I worked on some film sets a few years ago, is that SteadiCam operators tend to require a tripod set up for them at the end of their take, because while the armature and harness distributes the camera weight to their legs, it's still tremendously heavy. You'll see them do their heel-toe run to shoot the action, then immediately dump the camera onto a tripod so they can rest. I bet it was the same for Goldstein and Rolston; they make the guns look weightless on the harnesses but moving around with them must have been exhausting.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Mister Speaker posted:

Something I didn't realize (but in retrospect is completely obvious) until I worked on some film sets a few years ago, is that SteadiCam operators tend to require a tripod set up for them at the end of their take, because while the armature and harness distributes the camera weight to their legs, it's still tremendously heavy. You'll see them do their heel-toe run to shoot the action, then immediately dump the camera onto a tripod so they can rest. I bet it was the same for Goldstein and Rolston; they make the guns look weightless on the harnesses but moving around with them must have been exhausting.

I’d have to imagine that for scenes where they’re running around and you don’t get much of a close look at the weapon set-up, they had a lighter rig for them to run with; in the same way that any shots of Ripley carrying Newt where you can’t see Newt’s face they gave Sigourney Weaver a plastercast doll of Carrie Henn so she wasn’t running around carrying a child the whole time.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Parkingtigers posted:

The real crimes are in the opening act though. It's still impossible to get over the fact they killed off Hicks and Newt in the opening 6 minutes. For Ripley, the last time she woke up she was locked in a room with Newt and two facehuggers on LV-426. For her, that was yesterday. Today she wakes up and they're all dead. The next day (and I'm being generous in assuming it was actually the next day) she's all "eh, I'm over it" and decides to gently caress Charles Dance. That's a *wild* three days of character un-development for Ripley. Now Charles Dance is a great actor, but he's playing a very emotionally restrained dude here and it's just so baffling that she's horny for him (or anyone) at that point.

The attempted rape scene should not exist at all, and while the execution of it makes it worse, it being in the film at all is just creepy AF but not in a narrative way. Somehow it's made worse because they had Ripley jump Charles Dance's bones the day after(?) burying Hicks and Newt. Far too many scenes involve convicts talking about how they do want to have sex with her, how they don't want to have sex with her, how others shouldn't be tempted to have sex with her, one actually having sex with her, a group trying to rape her, and suddenly her being the only woman on a planet of men gets so much worse than just failing the Bechdel Test. It's almost good that there's an alien monster there so they have *anything* else to talk about than Ripley's perceived fuckability.

I take issue with a lot of this.

Ripley showing a more resigned and mature attitude toward tragedy after all she's been through is in fact quite the opposite of "character un-development" and it would have been a much greater disservice to Aliens had she been a weeping wreck. (It's not without precedent, either - Alien implied Dallas was her lover and she handled his death very stoically). We should probably remember that Ripley barely knew Hicks and Newt and I doubt she seriously thought they'd all become a family. Rather they were a revelation that she could still connect with people and their experience a way to exorcise her regret over the life she'd lost in her long hypersleep. Their deaths are deeply saddening and tragic but it's because of her experience in Aliens that she knows she need not feel guilty for it.

If we're really going to take the whole "Ripley is too good for Charles Dance" bit as seriously as a lot of folks seem to, I think it betrays a gross and frankly sexist attitude. Ripley can sleep with whoever the gently caress she pleases, thanks. She probably hasn't gotten laid in 57 years and I don't think it's odd at all she might be feeling lonely and seeking some form of intimacy after all she's been through. Dance's character has that stoic, cool-headed vibe Ripley seems to be attracted to and he's far and away her best option in her present surroundings. So she's settling in this instance, who cares?

I can respect and appreciate that the ubiquitous threat of rape in the movie is upsetting and perhaps not dealt with in the best of taste, but I object to the idea that it's inappropriate or simply exploitative. I think there's value in reminding the audience that Alien is only a slightly exaggerated microcosm of reality and that women live in a world run by men that takes for granted that men are lustful and violent so it's your fault if you're victimized, and that's all a bullshit excuse because unlike the xenomorph we see that men can choose not to be rapist penis-monsters, and too often they simply don't.

If I'm coming down too hard on you my apologies. I don't even like Alien3! I think it's dull and depressing. But I've seen a lot of folks treat that like some kind of objective or even moral failing and the narrow-mindedness honestly offends me a little.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Parkingtigers posted:

Having given it some time to sit, Alien 3 also annoys me because that xenomorph just shouldn't be on such a frenetic killspree.

There's a scene in Alien3 that suggests it's eating some of the humans... I think I prefer just having it kill people for no reason (or rather, spooky unknown reasons :iiam:)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yea it's a problem with most, if not all monster movies. They're always running around killing everything they lay their eyes on, which is (almost) never how actual animals behave.
The easy handwave is “it’s an extraterrestrial” but yeah I get your point.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Speaking of actual animals:

This appeared as a facebook ad for me today, sponsored by The Village Vegan:

Suck it vegans, I will never stop abducting rare animals, cocooning them to my walls,and watching as cute human babies burst through their ribcages.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Class Warcraft posted:

Suck it vegans, I will never stop abducting rare animals, cocooning them to my walls,and watching as cute human babies burst through their ribcages.

Heh I believe that is a John Bolton* painting.

:ninja: EDIT: found it.

*the British comics artist, not the former United States National Security Advisor.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I’d have to imagine that for scenes where they’re running around and you don’t get much of a close look at the weapon set-up, they had a lighter rig for them to run with; in the same way that any shots of Ripley carrying Newt where you can’t see Newt’s face they gave Sigourney Weaver a plastercast doll of Carrie Henn so she wasn’t running around carrying a child the whole time.

You can notice it when Hicks is running from the crashing dropship too. I can't unsee it, it looks like a piece of plastic.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I take issue with a lot of this.

If I'm coming down too hard on you my apologies. I don't even like Alien3! I think it's dull and depressing. But I've seen a lot of folks treat that like some kind of objective or even moral failing and the narrow-mindedness honestly offends me a little.

Hey, it's a discussion forum, and a thread to discuss the two good Aliens films. Nothing wrong with a bit of disagreement. I'm not super invested in my opinions on Alien 3, it took me 25 years to rewatch it and even then only because of this thread giving me that urge to go back in. Just throwing out my surface level reactions to the thing.

Charles Dance is a good looking dude, and I can fully understand the idea that someone has been having a rough time and just wants to get some. I've been there, done that, got some. It's just the timing that doesn't make it work for me. Yesterday she went through hell to rescue that kid, today woke up to hear she's dead, tomorrow all horned up. Charles Dance just feels like an odd choice because, sure stoic and steadfast is one thing, but one of their major points of interaction at this point was jointly conducting the autopsy of a six year old girl and... I just feel it's too many things that should be offputting, all happening at once, on a timeline that doesn't work. More time, or fewer issues, it'd be less odd feeling. If it works for others, enjoy away. But sharing a bed with the (handsome, nice) dude she just cut open a child cadaver with feels too far into "that wouldn't happen" land for me.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Dance does at least suggest that part of Ripley's motivation for banging him was to distract him from asking what she was looking for, he apparently finds it as surprising as the audience :haw:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Parkingtigers posted:

Hey, it's a discussion forum, and a thread to discuss the two good Aliens films. Nothing wrong with a bit of disagreement. I'm not super invested in my opinions on Alien 3, it took me 25 years to rewatch it and even then only because of this thread giving me that urge to go back in. Just throwing out my surface level reactions to the thing.

It's all good. I realized in the middle of typing I wasn't so much replying to you as I was the years of much more hyperbolic and angst-ridden fan rants I'd encountered.

Oddly I tend to find myself defending Alien3 and Alien Resurrection even though I don't particularly care for either!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Android Apocalypse posted:

*the British comics artist, not the former United States National Security Advisor.

Have YOU ever seen them in the same place at the same time? I know I haven’t! :tinfoil:

Next you’re going to tell me that the former Secretary of the Treasury produced Mad Max Fury Road, or that Newt Gingrich wrote a WWI alternate-history novel!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I’m in the cinema. In 2 minutes I’ll be watching Terminator 2 (while thinking about Aliens)

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Rubber prop guns are a thing partly for this reason. No need to have your actors lugging around heavy, expensive guns if they're not going to fire them.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Class Warcraft posted:

same, i love my hosed up alien son ❤

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

Rubber prop guns are a thing partly for this reason. No need to have your actors lugging around heavy, expensive guns if they're not going to fire them.

They did the same thing for the Lord of Rings films, for close up shots they made hero swords out of spring steel while making rubber/aluminum replicas for fight or stunt scenes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Prop guns also don't require special licenses to own and or operate. Break out the rubber ones when you have a bunch of mooks running about, then film your star firing the real one for 30 seconds later.

Hell, in Star Trek TNG, they had like two "hero" tricorders that had the blinking lights and poo poo, the rest of them were made of woodm

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I played Fireteam last night for just the first mission. It's not too bad. It put me with one player and one bot. The bot was near worthless but the other guy was a big help. He had experience playing the game and when the scores came up at the end I was just barely behind him. Like 2 kills, etc. So that's a good sign for me.

This should be a fun goon game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Are you playing on Steam?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yes. I think most people probably are.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yes. I think most people probably are.

What’s your steam ID?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

What’s your steam ID?

Steam ID: 76561198045154250

Is that it? Otherwise I have 2 names. Pennywise the Frown and DeviantCelt

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

When you try to add a friend it provides you with a “friend code” that you can share as well, I think.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Which is the real Xenomrph???
:nws:https://i.imgur.com/BcI5LWS.png:nws:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Android Apocalypse posted:

Wait what

RE movie guns based off of real firearms: I like that modern firearms are starting to proliferate movies and how they're still tarted up.

Jack (Tom Cruise) is using a rifle based off the Remington ACR.

I really liked that gun, it had a nice clean look to it instead of being greebled to all hell.

Also yeah thanks for jumping into that Fireteams game, Hiro! I've been slammed with work for the past week but I'll try and put together another game where we're all in voice next time lol

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

Which is the real Xenomrph???
:nws:https://i.imgur.com/BcI5LWS.png:nws:
:captainpop:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
So the latest Alien comic came out and it showed the best view of the Alien humanoid queen yet. Think Sil from Species which is only appropriate as you know who created her look. Also Prometheus is cannon as a panel shows the containers on the planet and the big alien mural as seen in the movie. Also a cat survives out of no where, yay! Also it's infected, boo. Oh and apparently synths have reached the "more human than human" phase. One was even in a relationship with a human, not that he knew and she didn't care about him in the end.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I played Fireteam last night for just the first mission. It's not too bad. It put me with one player and one bot. The bot was near worthless but the other guy was a big help. He had experience playing the game and when the scores came up at the end I was just barely behind him. Like 2 kills, etc. So that's a good sign for me.

This should be a fun goon game.

I had an entire Saturday afternoon to myself last weekend so I bought it. It's a fun shooter. The aliens are fast and fluid. the weapon/class/attachment variety makes replaying fun. Closest thing yet to the colonial marine video game I dreamed about in 1995.

Don't play with me though I suck, at least until I get my controller settings dialed in.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

old beast lunatic posted:

I had an entire Saturday afternoon to myself last weekend so I bought it. It's a fun shooter. The aliens are fast and fluid. the weapon/class/attachment variety makes replaying fun. Closest thing yet to the colonial marine video game I dreamed about in 1995.

Don't play with me though I suck, at least until I get my controller settings dialed in.

My fav campaign was probably the Hive one especially the jump scares of getting attacked by Prowler that blended perfectly into the hive background.

Hopefully the game doesn't end in the "on-going support" graveyard in terms of not adding in new campaigns and other content over time.

etalian fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 1, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Looks like DLC is planned for November, so we'll find out then :shrug:

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

The Last Call posted:

So the latest Alien comic came out and it showed the best view of the Alien humanoid queen yet. Think Sil from Species which is only appropriate as you know who created her look. Also Prometheus is cannon as a panel shows the containers on the planet and the big alien mural as seen in the movie. Also a cat survives out of no where, yay! Also it's infected, boo. Oh and apparently synths have reached the "more human than human" phase. One was even in a relationship with a human, not that he knew and she didn't care about him in the end.

it's the dumbest thing ever. It's the plot of Mass Effect, but Aliens. Where did the advanced tech extraterrestrials go? "They got suckered in by the black goo and xeno-worship and it will happen to humanity! OOOOOooooh!" The Giger-lady doesn't actually exist, but is "A VISION OF THE FUTURE! OOOOoooh!" The whole independent android thing got brought up practically out of nowhere and was only found out because Bishop (not knowing she was an android) breaks her loving neck "on instinct." The independent synth is apparently part of a larger, previously unheard of organization whose plan is: 1. Acquire aliens/pathogen. 2. Turn humanity into xenophiles. 3. ?????? 4. Synthetic freedom!

Re: The cat. That's bullshit. It's long been held that xeno reproduction requires a particular size/mass to the host to infect. Also it's a cute cat and probably the only decently drawn thing.

I hope Marvel gives up on any future stand-alone Alien comics, because this comic, as a whole, is trash.

Mutant Headcrab fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

When you try to add a friend it provides you with a “friend code” that you can share as well, I think.

Ah ok, it's 84888522.