Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

This might be useful if anyone is in Canada, or is interested in moving from their GT Omega wheelstand into a cockpit.

So I have the GT Omega Apex wheelstand, which is fantastic and recommended by the Dirty Discord Boys (join the discord) and genuinely a huge step up from desk-mounting your stuff. GT Omega themselves have a Canadian distribution/website so I didn't have to pay customs or anything, which is fantastic.

I recently started using VR for sim racing so I decided to figure out a way of having a dedicated cockpit/rig beside my PC desk so that I don't have to move anything when I want to hop in a session. I was happy to find out that GT Omega actually make an add-on piece that extends the wheelstand and allows a spot to mount a seat. This was out of stock in Canada and the GT Omega Canadian amazon page for the longest time but they came into stock a couple weeks ago and I picked it up with prime shipping, great.

I started to realize that the Gt Omega seats are super hard to come by, never in stock on amazon or their website. Using tools like camelcamelcamel to see historical pricing I noted that the seats basically hadn't been in stock for 6 months. I sent an email and they didn't really have any answers for me about when I could expect them. I started looking online for bucket seats that I could buy and adapt to the frame but actually ended up clicking on this listing for a "Minneer" seat and found that the few reviews mention that it bolts right up to the Apex seat base extension after you flip the L brackets on the seat, and it has a working seat slider and isn't a garish RACERBOY kinda thing.

I'll let you all know when it arrives (in early August) but thought I'd mention it for other Canadian people having to deal with customs, import fees, etc.

So I got this, it seems fine but the shoulder bolsters are *very* narrow for me which makes it not super comfortable. Going to try to return it and pick up the XL GT Omega seat if I can find a way of getting it into Canada.

Aside from the shoulder bolsters it seemed fine. I'm 6'2" 210lbs with (I thought) pretty normal/narrow shoulders so I'm surprised to have this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

VelociBacon posted:

So I got this, it seems fine but the shoulder bolsters are *very* narrow for me which makes it not super comfortable. Going to try to return it and pick up the XL GT Omega seat if I can find a way of getting it into Canada.

Aside from the shoulder bolsters it seemed fine. I'm 6'2" 210lbs with (I thought) pretty normal/narrow shoulders so I'm surprised to have this issue.

That's right about the same height/weight I am and I've run into this occasionally as well. As far as I can tell, a lot of racing drivers in general are a lot smaller than that, so a lot of the replica-type (or at least replica-inspired) seats tend to be for smaller people. I have a Playseat Sensation Pro and I fit in it snugly but not uncomfortably, and it's definitely going to be incentive to not gain any more weight over this pandemic or afterwards.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Having a racing seat is neat, but given that we don't have to deal with actual physical forces against us, swapping it out for a seat from a junkyard Civic or something is a worthwhile comfort upgrade.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shine posted:

Having a racing seat is neat, but given that we don't have to deal with actual physical forces against us, swapping it out for a seat from a junkyard Civic or something is a worthwhile comfort upgrade.

The difficulty that can be involved with mounting a real car seat that isn't a race car seat is a huge obstacle for people who don't have fabrication resources unfortunately.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VelociBacon posted:

The difficulty that can be involved with mounting a real car seat that isn't a race car seat is a huge obstacle for people who don't have fabrication resources unfortunately.

My prior sim rig used the passenger seat from a B14 Sentra. The seat itself was excellent: Comfortable, well-wearing, ergonomic and smooth adjustments, etc. But the damned thing is custom designed to bolt into a unibody bucket that isn’t level in any axis. All four attach bolts are at different angles in at least one plane, and one was also at a different height from the other three. It was a supreme pain in the rear end. The “racing” seat I used in my new build is designed to bolt to a flat(ish) floor, which makes it a ton easier to mount to a sim chassis.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
My racing seat is my couch. It works better than you might think, the only annoying thing is when you have to get up from the game or sit back down since the wheel is so far over the main couch area, basically pinning you down into the couch almost, that it can be super hard to claw your way out around it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone know what this sim rig setup is or what it’s called or who makes it? It’s showing up all over FB marketplace and eBay, meaning a factory in China is cranking them out en-masse.

For $79 I’m tempted to grab one just to see

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does anyone know what this sim rig setup is or what it’s called or who makes it? It’s showing up all over FB marketplace and eBay, meaning a factory in China is cranking them out en-masse.

For $79 I’m tempted to grab one just to see

Looks like a rip-off of the ART cockpit by GT omega.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I have a clapped out Bride seat that a friend gave me out of his old drift car to set up my rig and it's definitely too tight for extended use, but it works for me for now. Definitely wanna upgrade it to something more comfortable (especially since it doesn't have any pads right now, I'm super deep in it)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know this is hyper specific but if any of you can get ahold of a Ford Focus ST seat, the rail mounts are basically flat, I think I had to shim one of the 4 with a couple washers to make it perfectly even. Makes mounting a breeze and you get an all-day comfort seat out of it

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

I was once like you. Same issues, although I didn't want VR since I hate wearing my headset for more than like 30 minutes.

It's a slippery slope is all I'll say.

(Work in progress as far as making it look nice, plus I still need to permamount my tablet for second dash as well as my button box)
This is in rally config at the moment, for GT3 I swap in the wheel you see way off on the left on the futon, although I leave the rally shifter/handbrake on because they're more trouble to remove than it's worth.

Maybe it's a sign from the universe:

Bought GameStop cockpit on sale from thread: 7/23
Shipped: 7/28 w/ expected arrival 8/2
Notice of delay on 7/31, expected arrival: 8/3
Tracking number reached the local distribution center for me: 8/4
Called about it being stalled for approaching 72 hours: 8/7 and an incident report was created to track it down

After almost 2 full business days (assuming Fedex has people at distribution places on Saturday), still nothing. Beginning to think a Fedex employee stole it or something and there's a 0% chance I'm buying it again not on sale for like $150 more than I paid if it just ends up refunded. Although GameStop literally has no support (just redirects to Fedex), so if it ends up refunded maybe Fedex will pay the full MSRP.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I see AC (base game) is on sale on Steam for $4--a "why not buy?" price point--and the OP (and watching Jimmy Broadbent) says AC has a lot of mod content.

I'm wondering: is the official DLC worth it (jumps to $32--steepish for a 7 year old game) or do the mods cover plenty of bases to not bother? Or, it looks like ultimate edition has gotten as low as $8-some on sale elsewhere so maybe just wait out that if the DLC is worthwhile.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The DLC is easily worth the Ultimate edition when it’s on sale, it roughly doubles the base content. Don’t buy it piecemeal at this point though.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Yep, wait for the UE to go on sale. It's essential for most online racing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Has anyone ever used a wheel to play motorcycle sims? I never thought of it before but all the sudden I realized that it actually makes a lot of sense, the hardest thing about these games is getting the turning angle right, it's just drat hard to do with a tiny little stick with limited sensitivity. I swear it's legitimately easier to turn a motorcycle correctly in real life than it is in a game. However if I could use my wheel to indicate the exact angle of the turn, making small adjustments as I go, that should be a lot easier and better. Also makes the shifter, brake and accelerator easier to use accurately.

No clue if they can even recognize wheels though, I guess that's another potential issue. Specific game I'm thinking of is RiMS Racing.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Play posted:

No clue if they can even recognize wheels though, I guess that's another potential issue. Specific game I'm thinking of is RiMS Racing.

Normally it shouldn't matter too much if it can recognize it, so long as it can bind the axis it shouldn't matter a ton as long as the wheel uses DirectInput. The bigger thing will be if it supports Force Feedback at all, which I have no idea how well that would work even if it did. It's an interesting thought, and I have been trying to watch a little more MotoGP this year, as have some other people I know, so maybe as it rises in popularity there will be more development towards that. Maybe it already works well, I stick to car sims.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Normally it shouldn't matter too much if it can recognize it, so long as it can bind the axis it shouldn't matter a ton as long as the wheel uses DirectInput. The bigger thing will be if it supports Force Feedback at all, which I have no idea how well that would work even if it did. It's an interesting thought, and I have been trying to watch a little more MotoGP this year, as have some other people I know, so maybe as it rises in popularity there will be more development towards that. Maybe it already works well, I stick to car sims.

Yeah I am also a relatively recent convert to MotoGP, started watching semi-regularly in 2019 and quickly realized that it is some of the best racing of any variety that you can possible watch. It's drat fun.

The games lag behind quite a bit behind normal racing games though, motorcycle games are kind of hard because it's even more difficult to get a corner right, getting the speed or lean angle wrong hurts even more than it does in a cart, and mistakes are punished harshly. Like I said before as someone who's ridden a bike around a track on a few occasions I swear it's easier to do in real life than it is in a video game which is kind of funny.

Anyways I guess I will give it a try and see if it works, I wouldn't expect any force feedback but just want to be able to set lean angle more precisely than a stick can do. It may feel very unintuitive though, I guess I'll see.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
So the threading on the female end of the desk clamp for my T300 is completely stripped from a couple years of torqueing and untorqueing. I still don't have the space for a permanent mount, and won't for the foreseeable future. I took off the bottom covering of the servo base and it looks very daunting to attempt to replace the metal plate the bolt threads into. I'm sort of at a loss here, any idea on how to anchor the base without a clamp? Or something I'm not thinking of to fix the stripped threads? Super sad my wheel seems donezo due to some stripped threads :( at least until I can permanently mount it to something, but that won't be for a long time, and I will die if I can't do any racing until then

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Mount it to a piece of wood then fix to desk with a couple of G clamps? That's what I did with my old G25 without a clamp.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Immolat1on posted:

So the threading on the female end of the desk clamp for my T300 is completely stripped from a couple years of torqueing and untorqueing. I still don't have the space for a permanent mount, and won't for the foreseeable future. I took off the bottom covering of the servo base and it looks very daunting to attempt to replace the metal plate the bolt threads into. I'm sort of at a loss here, any idea on how to anchor the base without a clamp? Or something I'm not thinking of to fix the stripped threads? Super sad my wheel seems donezo due to some stripped threads :( at least until I can permanently mount it to something, but that won't be for a long time, and I will die if I can't do any racing until then

I would:

Pick up a helicoil/wire thread kit like this, find which one threads best into your stripped out female thread. Take that insert to a hardware store and find an appropriate bolt for your clamp that threads into that insert. If you know the specification of the stripped thread (maybe m5?) try to get exactly that sized insert (the outer diameter) so it threads in like the original bolt is supposed to.

Use a metal-metal bonding product like JB Weld on that insert and thread it as best you can fully into the stripped threads, and let it cure for a couple days just to be safe. Be very careful not to get JB weld onto the INSIDE of the insert where you'll be threading your new bolt. You're essentially gluing that insert into place and the JB weld basically turns into weak sintered metal itself.

After that you should have a functioning desk mount where you can use your new (smaller diameter) bolt into that insert. I would be somewhat more careful on the torque. If you need to, use washers at the head of the new bolt to get it wide enough to work with the clamp. Good luck!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If it’s completely stripped, drill it out just slightly so the threads are gone.

Then go to the hardware store, get a nut that threads onto the bolt and some jbweld. Disassemble the wheelbase, schmootz the nut down onto the plate with the jbweld, thread the bolt into the nut and clamp it down disassembled. Try not to get jbweld in the threads.

Leave it clamped until the jbweld dries then you should be able to crank the bolt tight and be good.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Thanks for the quick suggestions, I think one of those will definitely work. Going to take it where I have access to more tools next weekend and see what I can manage.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I've been wanting to get back into simracing for the past few weeks or so but iRacing is too drat expensive for me to subscribe to for the time being. But it seems like ACC is the next best thing when it comes to regular online races. So I'm thinking I should check that out, but I'm not sure which platform to use in order to find scheduled races. There appears to be a tonne of them out there, all with varying levels of activity. Any particular one that is recommended around here? I've acome cross Simgrid, Low Fuel Motorsport and simracing.gp so far at least. Being able to play against real players without having to commit to some hardcore league would be ideal, since the ability to play whenever I feel like it was the best part of iRacing. Seems like Simgrid at least has some races every day that you can sign up for without any prerequisites but I'll probably get demolished since there is no skillbased matchmaking from what I can see. (Probably due to the significantly lower playercount)

Edit:

Seems like you can manually pick which split to be a part of on Simgrid at least so that's better than nothing.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 1, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

WRC 10 came out today. If you like rally games you owe it to yourself to try this one or number 9 which is fantastic itself. For me, rally is easily the most fun kind of racing you can simulate especially in single player. It's just you and the car against the stage and see how few mistakes you can make and how high your general pace can be.

Career mode in these games is solid especially if the difficulty is set correctly so it is very challenging. Only thing I didn't like about the previous career mode is that your AI opponents on the series would never DNF or get penalties, making it kind of unfair. Hopefully they fixed that but either way they've added some brand new rallies and cars and presumably a graphical upgrade. I'm in.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Have they added telemetry yet?

In career mode, do they still give you absolutely nonsensical goals like "don't use medium tires in this rally" in a rally that the only sensible choice is medium tires? I got so sick of those inane goals that I stopped career mode in WRC9 and went back to DR2.0. That and telemetry lacking, which makes my DDU/LEDs pointless, but someone eventually fixed that with some dll.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Have they added telemetry yet?

In career mode, do they still give you absolutely nonsensical goals like "don't use medium tires in this rally" in a rally that the only sensible choice is medium tires? I got so sick of those inane goals that I stopped career mode in WRC9 and went back to DR2.0. That and telemetry lacking, which makes my DDU/LEDs pointless, but someone eventually fixed that with some dll.

I don't have the game yet, and I don't use fancy telemetry. My wheel showed speed and gearing and that's it I believe. But like you said there are workarounds that do provide all telemetry for 9.

Also those goals are totally optional, I would always try to avoid that kind of goal where possible because yeah, 'don't use rain tires in two rallies' WELL IT"S loving RAINING BITCH WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?? But, in the end it doesn't matter at all, I easily maxed out my XP and money and manufacturer reputation within a few 'years' of rallies.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Play posted:

Also those goals are totally optional, I would always try to avoid that kind of goal where possible because yeah, 'don't use rain tires in two rallies' WELL IT"S loving RAINING BITCH WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?? But, in the end it doesn't matter at all, I easily maxed out my XP and money and manufacturer reputation within a few 'years' of rallies.

I seem to recall that if you skipped too many of them you started seeing significant issues with penalties, either lack of upgrade points or like you get dropped or something like that? I can't remember.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

I seem to recall that if you skipped too many of them you started seeing significant issues with penalties, either lack of upgrade points or like you get dropped or something like that? I can't remember.

It will lower your manufacturer reputation yeah, which I assume can lead to you being dropped. But there are bigger factors feeding into manufacturer reputation than those goals, like doing well in rallies and other events.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Play posted:

It will lower your manufacturer reputation yeah, which I assume can lead to you being dropped. But there are bigger factors feeding into manufacturer reputation than those goals, like doing well in rallies and other events.

You're probably right.

Also don't let my complaint about this discourage people from playing - WRC8 and 9 were both a ton of fun, and while I still prefer DR2.0, WRC series as of late does some things better, namely tarmac physics. The stages are also super fun and well designed and feel like they have fewer "gently caress you" corners than DR2.0 where either the call is wrong or there's a secret rock hidden just inside or outside or whatever.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I remember buying dirt rally pretty quick when it came out but I got absolutely wrecked by it. Turns out rally is hard.
Not having a proper handbrake made things a lot harder for me as well, I think at least. Since pressing a button on my steering wheel to apply it felt really unnatural. But maybe I just didn't stick with it for long enough.

Edit:

Gaben probed my mind, ACC and all dlc are on sale all of a sudden. Is any of the dlc a must have or should I stick with the base game for now?

Boar It fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 2, 2021

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
At this point its hard to find servers running DLC tracks (at least in eastern US times). GT4 is completely dead on public servers. So I'd skip the DLCs unless you're interested in league racing. Intercontinental had the best racks IMO, that one was well worth it when the tracks were popular.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'll counter by saying that while AI racing has its obvious limitations, the GT4 cars are extremely fun and Intercontinental and British tracks are incredibly fun. Donnington is probably my favorite current track, absolutely love it.

And rally absolutely is hard, but incredibly rewarding and fun. I'll admit I could never get used to handbrake on a button and ended up buying a couple Thrustmaster Sparco handbrake/shifters for use as sequential shifter and handbrake.

I'll slightly self-promote here (I am not monetized and the videos are only posted for my rally club to watch, I'm not actually promoting or pretending to make content) and say that fast runs are a ton of fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r-yLGfHyx4

ssb fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 2, 2021

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Immolat1on posted:

At this point its hard to find servers running DLC tracks (at least in eastern US times). GT4 is completely dead on public servers. So I'd skip the DLCs unless you're interested in league racing. Intercontinental had the best racks IMO, that one was well worth it when the tracks were popular.

Less money to spend. Sounds good to me. :v:

Idea is to get good enough to sign up for the casual races provided on stuff like simracing.gp/simgrid and similar platforms. But not really going for a proper league so I guess I'll pick up the base game for now and see where that takes me.

shortspecialbus posted:

I'll counter by saying that while AI racing has its obvious limitations, the GT4 cars are extremely fun and Intercontinental and British tracks are incredibly fun. Donnington is probably my favorite current track, absolutely love it.

Yeah the content on offer seems quite good, if people are playing it a lot online in my region (EU) I'll consider getting them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Play posted:

WRC 10 came out today. If you like rally games you owe it to yourself to try this one or number 9 which is fantastic itself. For me, rally is easily the most fun kind of racing you can simulate especially in single player. It's just you and the car against the stage and see how few mistakes you can make and how high your general pace can be.

Career mode in these games is solid especially if the difficulty is set correctly so it is very challenging. Only thing I didn't like about the previous career mode is that your AI opponents on the series would never DNF or get penalties, making it kind of unfair. Hopefully they fixed that but either way they've added some brand new rallies and cars and presumably a graphical upgrade. I'm in.

Does it have VR support?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Does it have VR support?

It seems "maybe" but not native support and it may not work well.

On a different note, I decided to throw in the towel on trying to figure out how to mount my button box on my rig, so I grabbed the mounting plate and went to the local hardware store in a nearby small town and some 16 year old kid of an employee was the first one to greet me and offer to help find something. I explained the problem to him and he got pumped up as gently caress because he apparently loves sim racing, had me describe my rig and everything, and then he came up with an awesome mounting solution that worked absolutely perfectly given the constraints I had to work with.

After I got home and made sure it worked as well as we hoped, I called the store and said really good things about him (and to let him know it worked) so hopefully dude gets a raise. I'm seriously happy to finally have a button box again, it's been since I got triples back in April that I last had it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Lack of VR support is what keeps me playing dirt rally 2 instead.

I own like wrc 8 or 9 and I rarely play it as a result, dirt rally just seems better. But I want to like it, they really need to support VR.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Lack of VR support is what keeps me playing dirt rally 2 instead.

I own like wrc 8 or 9 and I rarely play it as a result, dirt rally just seems better. But I want to like it, they really need to support VR.

I have a 9900k and 2080ti and I've been trying to find playable settings for DR2 in VR and I'm pretty much failing. What settings do you use?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What sort of GPU do you need to run to play on a 27 inch 1440p monitor? Is a 1080ti sufficient?

I'll probably play some of the Arcady stuff that's not in this thread and looking at f12021 and maybe Asseto Corser as according to the OP that's the go to?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

What sort of GPU do you need to run to play on a 27 inch 1440p monitor? Is a 1080ti sufficient?

I'll probably play some of the Arcady stuff that's not in this thread and looking at f12021 and maybe Asseto Corser as according to the OP that's the go to?

You can adjust settings right so any game can be played on any monitor. A 1080ti is more than sufficient for 1440p (screen size is irrevalent).

If you want to actually race other people or race a variety of cars and have some kind real racing experience there is no competitor to iRacing. If you want to play The F1 Game then there's only one place to go for now and the Assetto Corsa + DLC also means you can download infinite content from online too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

I have a 1070 with ryzen 3600, 1440p 144hz it runs most stuff at 1440 without issue. Like Horizon 4 runs at ultra (I cap at 72fps) at about 80% if I uncap I can get around 90ish FPS with full GPU utilization.
AC is running at 90FPS (setting limited) with 60-70% GPU utilization- 4x Anti filtering 2x AA, Medium World and Low shadow resolution in the basic settings - Test was done not driving I didn't have my wheel set up
If you want I can run F1 2020 later and see what I get if you want.

Man would I love to get a 3070 but welp

Speaking of AC..
Is there some known fuckery with the Controller profiles being saved. I save them but it seems like I have to remap everything even if I load my saved setup after re-launching.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 3, 2021