Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spacemang_spliff posted:

did your parents make it though okay? aside from their house getting turbofucked?

their house seems to be fine, because it is raised on stilts. their cars are fine too afaik because they moved them to the highest ground possible and walked back home. my mom's gardens are probably the worst casualty, which sucks but it's par for the course. they're staying there because she has generators keeping her fishtanks alive and has to stay there to swap batteries and tend to them. they have enough supplies for a while, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my parents' brand new generator died yesterday

two whole days of juice lol

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Beekeeping and You posted:

ofc I can't directly say hey this will get you 500 bucks because oh god what if people get 500 bucks who don't need it?? :supaburn: sucks when people who didn't click the box at registration call in like hey :( i need that :( bc i can't change it after registration.

It's me. I'm apparently ineligible for assistance because my apartment luckily survived the storm unscathed, and there was no evacuation order for new orleans within the levee system. Apparently voluntary evacuation doesn't count. I guess my probably 100+ degree apartment with no power, water, or food is considered perfectly livable and I should just suffer in abject despair instead of try to find somewhere where I can find a hot meal, bathe, and sleep the night through without being soaked in sweat.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

There is a CSPAM jobs thread you should check: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977556

Business Gorilla was hiring WFH CSR reps out of that thread.

Thanks! I'll mention that to her. Also thanks Beekeeping and You. She's on the wrong side of the country for that to be feasible it sounds like, but I appreciate the response!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my parents' brand new generator died yesterday

two whole days of juice lol

How long did they let it sit not using it with gas still in it cause unused with old gas is lol good luck with that

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Beekeeping and You posted:

Not gonna lie you're probably SOL, you can't change it once you apply :( gently caress I wish I could but the software won't let you touch it. I got like 5 calls just today from people trying to add that.

I figured. IL have my sons mom apply for herself since we Evacuated together. Is it a checkbox or something? What should we look for. Could really use the cash. My sons been sick and we've been driving around to hotels trying to get him a test before we got to family. Finally got one today but man I'm spent and don't know when IL be back to home or work.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shifty Nipples posted:

How long did they let it sit not using it with gas still in it cause unused with old gas is lol good luck with that

i guess they didn't test it too much after it was wired into the house, but what failed was something with the oil pressure sensor

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i guess they didn't test it too much after it was wired into the house, but what failed was something with the oil pressure sensor

oh I was thinking a small gas generator

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Brake checking is a great way to get run off the road. If they don’t hit their brakes in time they have a lot more control over where you go than you do. Just saying

I don't actually hit the breaks I just step on the pedal enough to make the break lights come on

If they don't take the hint I just come off the accelerator and slow down until they get the mesaage and change lanes

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Looks like there's a tornado on ground in Annapolis MD.

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1433130139987189762?s=19

E. Oooh storm chaser saw it

https://twitter.com/RobbMDWxMedia/status/1433128930236641290?s=19

shirts and skins has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Sep 1, 2021

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

WoodrowSkillson posted:

we need the most dedicated people to work for the organization that does nothing

The secret is that when you actually do something, you make it as demanding and needlessly complicated as possible to make people think that your job is just that difficult. I learned that trick in undergrad!

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

we need the most dedicated people to work for the organization that does nothing

hey now they need the dedicated people because they're willing to get yelled at for the gov doing nothing and be a friendly face to take the heat :v:

Zig-Zag posted:

I figured. IL have my sons mom apply for herself since we Evacuated together. Is it a checkbox or something? What should we look for. Could really use the cash. My sons been sick and we've been driving around to hotels trying to get him a test before we got to family. Finally got one today but man I'm spent and don't know when IL be back to home or work.

Say you have disaster related emergency need for food medication, or gas. It's a checkbox. It's not false, you do have immediate need for those things.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

OK baizuo posted:

I don't actually hit the breaks I just step on the pedal enough to make the break lights come on

If they don't take the hint I just come off the accelerator and slow down until they get the mesaage and change lanes

90% of the time of someone’s tailgating you your windshield washers will arc high enough to hit their windshield. Just watch for them to turn on their wipers after 10 secs of sustained spraying.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This Tropical Storm looks like it already has an eye

https://twitter.com/ericburriswesh/status/1433118981288779785?s=21

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/WJACTV/status/1433111119271534592

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Soyface meme

https://twitter.com/MatthewCappucci/status/1433135388298813445?s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

:bisonyes: good bye Manhattan

Edit: hit cat 5 with king ghidorah in the middle.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s already on the verge of hurricane status after being an Invest yesterday

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
loving oof

https://twitter.com/jadelson/status/1433081148784136196

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Figure it's time to start watching wet-bulb temps in general so I went and used the OSHA wet-bulb calculator and right now it's estimating 36c/97f in the sun in NOLA. Still only 29C/84F in the shade, but if you're outside in the sun during the high today it's at or nearly at the upper physiological limit for human survival.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

that's fast

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheMightyBoops posted:

90% of the time of someone’s tailgating you your windshield washers will arc high enough to hit their windshield. Just watch for them to turn on their wipers after 10 secs of sustained spraying.

i want to do this but i dont want to get shot by a raging maniac that just had his car detailed

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Presto posted:

Good. I think it's cruel to keep rivers indoors.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Mr Hootington posted:

I think that was a Category Six hurricane that was also permanently electrified. Why yes I was very excited for that movie, how can you tell?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
A new Johnstown Flood? We really are playing the guilded age hits!

https://twitter.com/PMBreakingNews/status/1433126768181972995?s=19

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Mr Hootington posted:

lmao if we all breathed a sigh of relief at NOLA making it through this hurricane, only to see manhattan totally flooded again

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol if larry takes out bloombergs compound on bermuda and his townhouse on sutton place in the same week

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

A new Johnstown Flood? We really are playing the guilded age hits!

https://twitter.com/PMBreakingNews/status/1433126768181972995?s=19

glad I got to do the ghost town trail and Staple bend trail a bit north of that area before it all washed away

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

idgi, is larry really already forecast to make landfall in the nyc area

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

No people are looking at the forecast

And imagining a straight line to NY. But what always happens is they keep curling to the right as they get farther north. As long as the jet stream holds up everything will be fine.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

good ole reliable jet stream

*checks earpiece*

oh, what's this we're getting in,

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

mod sassinator posted:

lmao if we all breathed a sigh of relief at NOLA making it through this hurricane, only to see manhattan totally flooded again

It is my dream Manhattan sinks and we leave all new Yorkers in their glass towers in the middle of the ocean.

Really it just needs to hit DC, new york, or Boston.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

good ole reliable jet stream

*checks earpiece*

oh, what's this we're getting in,

Oh no. Oh noooo.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
so apparently because they never ordered a mandatory evacuation, nola insurance payouts will be limited

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

so apparently because they never ordered a mandatory evacuation, nola insurance payouts will be limited

if climate change makes these hurricanes come sliding in faster, it's a wrap.

so much for all these "we'll persevere and come back stronger' types i keep reading in /r/neworleans.

wait until there's a double whammy of multiple strong hurricanes attacking your city less than 15 years apart.

supposedly BP was/is paying billions into marshland renovations to keep the coastal areas from losing land every year, but i don't think they can do anything if the entire area is constantly flooded.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Wedge Regret

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The insurance industry had like 2 or 3 extra years trying anyways.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

No people are looking at the forecast

And imagining a straight line to NY. But what always happens is they keep curling to the right as they get farther north. As long as the jet stream holds up everything will be fine.
Yeah that isn't making it

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

cardedagain posted:

i went camping on the Grand Isle beach back in 2014.

now i wonder what happened to this fortified "camp"

edit: here it is in all it's glory on Google Maps

https://maps.app.goo.gl/7KGc6yPxEpuatX2o6

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ida/index.html#20/29.23760/-89.98503 Looks like it's still there. Somewhat battered, but sure looks like it's in better shape than the houses around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

:perfect: