Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Wait how many fingers.does Arudak have on each hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Looks like he has 5 on his left and 4 on his right. Maybe those hot dogs are his fingers.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

This is more facebook witch level poo poo Mookie. "Names have power, what would you name me? Post in the comments below".

Shouldn't Arudak have come up with a name for her by now?

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
If I believed Mookie ever read books, I'd think he was poorly ripping off Earthsea's concept of the power contained in names.

In reality, Mookie probably just watched Goblin Slayer and thought it was cool everyone was strictly their role (the cast is literally named Goblin Slayer, Elf Archer, etc.).

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Yes let's appoint the master name giver position to the guy who named himself "Snout".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

his name is clearly 'deaf'

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
snout and IW's profiles look pretty similar

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
It's weird that the only female characters in this story
A) require Snout to pick a name
B) naked cuddle with Snout at the drop of a hat

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I resent every second I've spent seeing just how bad this could get.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The jrpg name entry prompt has finally appeared

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
If she's such a big deal, surely Redactor already had at least one name that could have been used to refer to her.

I think I genuinely love how everything in this comic exists to fix a prior mistake. Just a rolling salvage job right from the start.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Choosing a name is a sacred thing, and that is why we gather here today to celebrate your decision to name yourself in dealing with other people, gokunaruto420

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I dub thee "Thiefles ManipuLiar."

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I...

Ok I must have missed something. Why can't she give herself a nickname, since her "true" name is the one she has to keep secret? Is that everyone she meets has to come up with a name for her? If that's the case what happens if someone uses the name someone else makes up? If that's not the case, again why does she not have a nickname already

Why is this so needlessly complicated

Emrikol posted:

I think I genuinely love how everything in this comic exists to fix a prior mistake. Just a rolling salvage job right from the start.

If I recall correctly, this starts happening in the original Deegan comic the closer we get to the end because Mookie gets burnt out and super lazy

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
God, literally at no point did it occur to Snout to ask what her name was but she sure had no problem asking him to giver her a name :downs:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Ink Witch society is being entirely shaped by Mookie not being able to think of a name for one of his main characters. Funnily enough, he’s kinda stumbled into the theme of a character from late-stage Bleach, I can’t imagine he’s directly ripping it off since Bleach is after his time.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
"Name me, daddy"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Roman Reigns posted:

I...

Ok I must have missed something. Why can't she give herself a nickname, since her "true" name is the one she has to keep secret? Is that everyone she meets has to come up with a name for her? If that's the case what happens if someone uses the name someone else makes up? If that's not the case, again why does she not have a nickname already

Why is this so needlessly complicated

Ink Witch gossip has to be the weirdest thing ever.

"Oh my God, can you believe what Stacey did?"
"You mean Mabel?"
"No, that's Emily. I think Stacey is Carmen?"
"No, you are Carmen!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
"Oh no, Homewrecker blew up another house."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
It is very important to Ink Witches that people be unable to consistently identify them to other people.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Roman Reigns posted:

I...

Having a secret private name that is never shared or only shared with the most intimate of family and friends or, if it's not as big a deal, members of the culture/in-group, while having a 'nickname' of sorts that is used for interactions with foreigners is typically - in fact I think universally? - how it is done in fantasy and sci-fi stories where there are cultures that place that sort of importance upon personal names. Like I believe that's how the Hanar do it in Mass Effect - which we know Mookie played as I recall? - where they have a private name they reserve for family and close friends, and then a throwaway name they use for outsiders, and even then only refer to themselves by impersonal pronouns when dealing with outsiders.

I mean it's a trope that's universally done that way for simple reasons of basic obvious common sense. Even if it's just a descriptor, a consistent outward-facing name is kind of necessary for any sort of meaningful social interactions.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Beelzebufo posted:

This is more facebook witch level poo poo Mookie. "Names have power, what would you name me? Post in the comments below".

Shouldn't Arudak have come up with a name for her by now?
[uses SNES controller]

> MCBUTTS

"MCBUTTS". Is that correct [y/n]?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

To be fair, names having power is an old folkloric thing, particularly with fairies. You don't give a fairy your name, because that will give it power over you. In return, a fairy is unlikely to give you its true name either. Fairies in old folklore are weird, powerful, and potentially very dangerous. They steal babies, after all, and make binding bargains with unexpected costs ("your hardship and poverty will end, and in return I ask for the thing you have at home that you don't know you have" and then the dude goes home to discover his wife is pregnant and he just bargained away his unborn child), and kidnap people away to trick them into servitude at the fairy court, so names are part of the rules that are supposed to protect you from them.

Probably the best known example in current culture is Rumplestiltskin, but that's not the only story about someone getting out of a bad bargain with a fairy by learning their true name, rather than an alias.

That said, I don't expect Mookie to go into any sort of concrete reason for why ink witches care about this.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It's annoying because there are some very obvious reasons a school of magic based on the written word might be careful with their true names which could go to some interesting places and instead we've got this throwaway bullshit.

Unless the Ink Witch is blatantly lying to Snout but this isn't that kind of story.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The idea that true names are imbued with mystical power was already old when rabbis of the Second Temple period decided everyone should start saying "adonai" ("Lord") instead of pronouncing יהוה‎ and every single one of the thousands of pages of talmudic argument about when and how and in what form to use the name of god that have been written in the centuries since are all roughly a billion times more fascinating than whatever is happening--and I think we have to stretch the definition of "happening" to say anything is happening--in Legacy at the moment.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I love the idea that no see, give ME a name and then I gain the power of insight of another angle of myself! What name you choose for me will teach me so much about myself and how you see me! I guess it gives you the power of... if they name you Dingus, now you know they think you look like a Dingus I guess?

This feels so sloppy and the pacing in this is so absolutely random from page to page. It's like every other page is part of a different arc and it keeps switching back and forth.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

RoboRodent posted:

To be fair, names having power is an old folkloric thing, particularly with fairies. You don't give a fairy your name, because that will give it power over you. In return, a fairy is unlikely to give you its true name either. Fairies in old folklore are weird, powerful, and potentially very dangerous. They steal babies, after all, and make binding bargains with unexpected costs ("your hardship and poverty will end, and in return I ask for the thing you have at home that you don't know you have" and then the dude goes home to discover his wife is pregnant and he just bargained away his unborn child), and kidnap people away to trick them into servitude at the fairy court, so names are part of the rules that are supposed to protect you from them.

Probably the best known example in current culture is Rumplestiltskin, but that's not the only story about someone getting out of a bad bargain with a fairy by learning their true name, rather than an alias.

That said, I don't expect Mookie to go into any sort of concrete reason for why ink witches care about this.

As others have said, this is a particularly poor implementation of the symbolic power of names. But what gets me is the Facebook-witchy nature of Mookie's formulation. I have nothing against Tumblr witches, but one thing I see a lot is them defining magic in a way that they think is poetic, but really comes off as fake and saccharine. You can turn someone's frown into a smile, that's transmutation! It's stuff like that, at least a certain subset of New Age witchy spiritualism is. And some of it actually ends up being almost harmful in the way that they conceive of things.

And that is what is Mookie is doing here. She says that names have power, but the power that she ascribes to it is actually incredibly trite when you think about. Yes what other people label you as does in fact confer some information about how they see you. It's pretty slim pickings as mystical revelations go, and is actually a pretty messed up moral when you take it out of this very specific context of a close friend giving you a magic nickname.

For instance

FlocksOfMice posted:

I love the idea that no see, give ME a name and then I gain the power of insight of another angle of myself! What name you choose for me will teach me so much about myself and how you see me! I guess it gives you the power of... if they name you Dingus, now you know they think you look like a Dingus I guess?

This feels so sloppy and the pacing in this is so absolutely random from page to page. It's like every other page is part of a different arc and it keeps switching back and forth.

The only thing that you can take what the ink witch says is that the ink witches value the input of bullies and bigots as providing them insight into who they are. It doesn't make any thematic sense, in terms of plot relevance is meaningless. It's really reflective of the type of writing that characterize later Deegan, where events happen in quick succession to have no thematic rhyme or reason. I think someone described in this thread as anti-plot and that that is really what it is

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Mookie's reference choices are pretty shallow. "Truenamer" and the idea of true names giving power over something is also a class in a 3.5 D&D sourcebook.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I want you, the person named Snout, to give me a name. What's that? Okay, I am now known as Floppy Tits!

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Nobra Bedhair

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Mummy #1

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

When someone else gives you a name it tells you something about how you're perceived. This is my friend, named after a woman the comic artist met briefly decades ago in college but didn't really know.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He just couldn't stop thinking about her tits unique name.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Chapter 22: The Oracle Hunter [Part 2]

So we start this section of the arc with some more Primo Mary-sue bullshit from Dominic. Dominic instantly knows what he's dealing with and just need to consult his books to confirm the one specific thing this could be. I also hate that now spells apparently can leave incidental residues that Dominic can magically analyse like h's some sort of mystical spectrometer. Every time we see him using his oracular powers, he gets more powerful, needing less input to come to his conclusions.

In fact, in this case the only incorrect part of the information is the part that's provided by the book. Barnett is not part of the blinders, and is actually just doing it all to gently caress with Dominic. Mookie thinks this is a clever twist, where after providing the readers with a statement that the perpetrator can only be a member of this group, expectations are subverted by saying that "naw, she was just doing it for no reason at all!".

Gross. And I'm as sex -positive as anyone else, but stuff like this just seems juvenile to me. I'm sorry, but having your male characters in particular brag about bringing their partners to orgasm is sad and desperate.

I mean the whole conversation has a gross dudebros in the locker room air to it, but I'm also struck by the fact that Donovan thinks dating murder cultists is okay, because they believe in something? Not to think too much into it but isn't the appeal of piety the idea of innocence and purity? Apparently for Donovan, the appeal lies in bloodthirsty zealotry. A new spin on the Manson family motivations to say the least.

"Why did you help this dude murder all those people?"

"What can i say, I find pious dudes hot!"

This strip exists entirely to misdirect the readers in the most obvious way. And to set up the cliffhanger...

For a pretty funny sequence. From the looks of it she just sort of mildly tossed the knife, and it just skewered Dominic straight through. I guess she could have thrust forward while holding Bumper and then pulled back. If that's what she did the motion is not conveyed very well.

For once Dominic may be facing a real threat! This is a weapons specifically designed to target people like him, so he'll be at a disadvantage....

Rights Mookie...?

Right?

Well of course not.

The physical danger is instantly solved offscreen. And the all-powerful archmage who has repeatedly solved everyone's problems with magibabble literally walks in with a pun about being a deus ex machina. It's not clever if that's actually what the character is Mookie! Though it's going to turn out that Miranda doesn't even need to be there because the virus spell is actually no threat.

Again, maybe waiting more than one strip to dissipate all the tension and switch back to comedy would be good if you're trying to have the story have meaningful stakes. We instead find out that Dominic is indeed such a powerful seer that weapons specifically designed to take him out aresomething that he is going to go have a brain battle with, and win.

And I say brain battle because it's not like previous fights where Dominic was dominant in a psychoplane, but in this case it really does appear to be Dominic actually projecting into his own brain to physically beat the pathogens with his walking stick. There is no mind over matter here, it's literally just punching and kicking

See, we have no understanding of what exactly Dominic's mental power , in this case even his quick wit and clever retorts taken away in favour of violence. Cool meaningfull display the power of knowledge and preparation Mookie! You know that thing that was the direct point of the previous arc?

Once again the Deegans proved to be mistrustful monsters with no sense of personal boundaries, this time with Miranda digging into her husband's personal life without bothering to consult him or ask him whether he would be okay with it, whether he might know something, or anything at all.

Again, maybe asking Donovan if he has any ideas would be better than doing what Miranda does here, which is becoming suspicious of her husband after violating his privacy. This also starts another horrible part of this arc, which is Szark losing his attraction to Dominic because he's a prissy gay man who can't stand mess and bodily fluids!

It does appear the virus spell is literally taking little chunks out of Dominic's cerebellum.

Now, answer me this friends. What is this even supposed to represent? Everyone understands a little bit of poetic license when it comes to drawing magic and psychic things in the story. But only Mookie would stress that poetic license to the point of breaking by having a character fighting in his own "mind" literally exit through the front of his forehead as a tiny version of himself. It would almost be a parody or satire of traditional stories with psychic powers in them, if Mookie was a better author. As it is, a really models the whole story and this emphasizes the growing feeling that nothing that happens matters or has any rhyme or reason.

This strip is mostly pointless, but I do love Luna's logic in that first set of four panels. Dominic is exhibiting extremely strange and erratic symptoms, we should probably not tell anyone because we want him to keep his "dignity". Good thing those symptoms wouldn't imply that he was suffering brain damage. Oh wait! That's exactly what they were! If not for Dominic's insane gambit, he might actually have suffered permanent brain problems because of it.

A tender moment with no stakes. Also I find it funny, given what is it going to come out of the Miranda/Donovan story here, that when a man suspects a woman of infidelity, the narrative bends over to justify the fear and justifies his anger and outrage, but when a woman suspect infidelity, is going to be revealed to be irrationally jealous and you just have trusted her husband keeping secrets. Like yes Miranda should not have pried, but after she does pry it is funny that Mookie in no way validates her further, unlike what he did with Milov.

I know it's not one-to-one, but it's just another instance of the pattern of female versus male sexuality and sexual agency in DD.

Mookie suddenly decides to have Dominic dress up like He-man. I mean the costume is a lot more simplistic than he man's and is less barbarian than go-go dancer twink. Don't worry though, Mookie does especially call it out as Dominic being inspired by his "action books"

Again, what exactly is being represented here, with that final punch, as different from all the other punches? Why is he barfing out the virus spell if he already pulled it out of him? What did any of the last several strips even mean????

The answer is nothing. Also I do love that jar that Luna summoned now appears to be a glass container with a lid, when Dominic barfed directly into it without removing the lid or anything in the previous trip. It just he suddenly has a lid. It really show that Mookie is ad-libbing his way through.

Like I said, the comic is going to make Miranda out to be irrational.

These two strips really made me wonder if this was the point of all this, as a way of getting the love triangle diffused without Dominic or Luna being a bad person. Szark's whole inclusion in the story is entirely superfluous when you think about it, especially after that initial scene.

just like we've seen several times in legacy, Mookie's lack of planning when it comes to the metaphysics of his magic really messes up the story and our ability to understand what's going on. This virus spell that he introduced here is pretty unprecedented in the scope of the comic, having a physical manifestation that looks to be alive and possibly intelligent. What does that mean? Previously spells a bit like a bolt of lightning, summing that is inherently impermanent and lacking its own reality and being. Now that we see that spells persistence way, it opens up a whole host of possibilities. None of these will be explored because the point of all that was just to keep the guessing gamg egoingt. Just like the brother line, it's not really interesting because there's no real thought behind it.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 2, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ok, I remember from the last thread that someone compared that 'close-up profile' panel of Deegan jumping out his head or whatever to a later comic that showed a similar scene and how his art actually REGRESSED.

That was one thing that stuck with me over this whole... madness.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Its weird to see some of these closeups that have considerably better drawn facial profiles than the usual right-angle situation

Like if he had just scaled that down to the normal profile shots everything would have looked so much better. Tbh I gotta say that in places I kind of like this classic Deegan art better than Legacy

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Sure is weird none of the other seers went inside their own brains to fight the virus like Dominic did, guess they're just not as smart as him. Or maybe they did try it and failed, because they're just not as strong as him. Either way, Dominic is the best ever at something.

Remember this next to last panel, because as Samovar just mentioned, Mookie uses it again in the final arc of the comic. He's apparently especially proud of it. It is, at least, better than all his other art, because it makes Dominic look like a human being and not a pointy nosed anime with a sidemouth.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I think Mookie was losing his loving mind throughout that chapter.

Seriously, just skim through the panels and see how drastically batshit it gets compared to previous chapters.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
On some level you gotta admire Mookie's commitment to doing whatever he wants. Most creators would realize throwing in this goofy cartoon bullshit would be jarring, maybe even alienate the audience, but Mookie does it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

On some level you gotta admire Mookie's commitment to doing whatever he wants. Most creators would realize throwing in this goofy cartoon bullshit would be jarring, maybe even alienate the audience, but Mookie does it anyways.

There's a dril tweet for that...