Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nobody look at other states' property tax rates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Moving to the PNW is appealing but I kind of feel like they are only liberal states in the same way a lot of folks have vaugly progressive opinions up until they become inconvenienced by them.

Like I'd move to Seattle and the next day my neighbors would be flying confederate flags and calling the cops on me everytime I mowed my yard.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Also with how the west is entirely on fire, what's the cost to rip out a boiler and put in central ac?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Sales tax (and any consumption tax) is regressive as all gently caress. Every state with a sales tax shifts the bulk of its tax burden onto the lowest income earners versus a progressive system that would tax the high earners more.

If you're making under $100k/yr you're better off in any state with an income tax versus any state with a sales tax. If you're making more than $1m/year, you're better off in a sales tax state versus an income tax state.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Theyre not going to stop at Roe, and theyre not going to stop at Texas.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Kirios posted:

Moving to the PNW was the best thing I've ever done - highly, highly encourage all y'all fellow Texans (Ex-Texans? I mean I was born and raised there for the first 28 years of my life I'm always going to be a Texan) to move up here if you can. There's already a ton of us here already! Bunch of Texan Democrats! It's like Austin without all the racism around you (It's just on the eastern side of the state please don't look over there).

This is not the selling point you think it is.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
The problem I have found is all the places that are better also cost a lot more as just a base of living. Will need a big bump in pay just to move there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Montana....one day

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

monterrey...one day

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1433146131337383939

Uh oh

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

:suspense:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Theyre not going to stop at Roe, and theyre not going to stop at Texas.

You're right. Looking at just Roe is shortsighted. For example, Thomas would throw out every case ever that has used due process incorporation of the 14th amendment which would kick the nation back to the 40s from a civil rights perspective let alone reproductive rights. A lot of places (like Texas) still have heinous laws on the books that would instantly become effective again if Thomas had his way.

They're doing everything they've said they want to do, and there's not much of anything we can do to stop them. Eat arbys.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I mean, I don't see much happening here. The DA dropped charges. West isn't going to publicly go on a crusade against police while trying to run for governor. DPD might give the officer a public slap on the wrist but ultimately won't even suspend her.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, I don't see much happening here. The DA dropped charges. West isn't going to publicly go on a crusade against police while trying to run for governor. DPD might give the officer a public slap on the wrist but ultimately won't even suspend her.

Yeah, everything here happened per policy. DPD pulled her over for driving while black, not driving while intoxicated.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Politico just published a new profile on our boy Beto, in which he is presented as the last shining hope of Texas Dems despite being doomed to lose, assuming he actually decides to run, which he's not really sure about and doesn't want to think about right now, what's the rush anyhow
https://twitter.com/ccadelago/status/1433136526066585603

quote:

“The pretty fair assumption that people are making” is that he will run, said Gilberto Hinojosa, chair of the Texas Democratic Party. Hinojosa said he has spoken with O’Rourke twice about the election, both times encouraging him to run.

“The problem for us,” he said, “is until he makes a decision, nobody else is going to do anything.”
[...]
O’Rourke, who will turn 49 this month, has been giving the same, brief response for months when asked if he will run for governor: He’s focused solely on voting rights, and will think about it later.
What's this "later" crap about, it's poo poo-or-get-off-the-pot time, bucko

quote:

Underlying all those expectations is a political question with ramifications not just for O’Rourke, but for the country: Could Texas really turn blue?
Does Betteridge's Law still apply to rhetorical questions if they're in the copy instead of the headline?

quote:

The reality today is that O’Rourke, if he runs for governor, will be starting from behind. A poll by The Dallas Morning News and University of Texas, Tyler, in June put Abbott’s approval rating at 50 percent, including 29 percent of Democrats and 37 percent of independents. O’Rourke was rated very or somewhat favorably by just 31 percent of voters, while 40 percent had an unfavorable view. O’Rourke’s favorability rating was, in fact, worse than Cruz’s. And in a head-to-head matchup against Abbott, he was losing 45 percent to 33 percent. A Quinnipiac University poll similarly had O’Rourke’s favorability rating in the 30s, while Abbott stood at 49 percent.

Many Democratic political professionals both inside and outside of Texas believe the prudent political choice for O’Rourke would be to sit the governor’s race out and wait to take on Cruz, a more polarizing figure than Abbott.
I don't think it's real useful to make relative measurements about "polarizingness" when your bechmark is the lizardperson called "Ted Cruz", but I submit that it would be a lot easier to label Abbott as a polarizing figure if a rival campaign ever bothered to show up and start beating him up for letting Texans freeze and siding with the virus in a pandemic.

quote:

If not O’Rourke, the question for Texas Democrats is, “Who?” Neither Julián nor Joaquin Castro is likely to run for governor next year. Julián Castro, the former San Antonio mayor and Housing and Urban Development secretary, also ran for president in 2020 and didn’t have much better luck than O’Rourke. This cycle, he said “it’s not likely that I’m going to run” for governor. “I feel like I just ran a marathon in the 2020 campaign,” he said in an interview, “and you know, just happy to support others right now and shine a light on issues that are important to the state and to the country, and then consider running in the future.” Hidalgo has said she is focused on running for re-election in her county-level seat. Rep. Joaquin Castro’s former district director, Cary Clack, wrote a column in the San Antonio Express-News last month headlined “O’Rourke needs to run for governor.” Seventy-seven percent of Texas Democrats want him to run, according Quinnipiac.
Huh, sure sounds like every Texas Dem wants Beto to run, except for Beto

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 1, 2021

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'm weighing starting to transition and it's getting harder to justify staying here. The only thing keeping me here is my stable job, but the thin guardrail I had is going to get nuked by SB 14 sooooooo.

I don't think I can claim to even be one of those "I love Texas! But we could be better!" people anymore. State's poo poo.

Yeah Texas is a black hole of poo poo, rapidly growing shittier as its "freeeeedommmmmm!!!" marketing sucks in shitheads from all over the nation like Allen West. Even if I weren't enby I would want to leave, but as it is I'm straight up excited about getting the gently caress out.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Angela about to join Heidi in the club of Texas Republican wives quietly suffering public indignities that their shameless husbands can't talk about

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I’ve lived in Texas since 1990 and I’m leaving next month to the East Coast and if I can help it I’ll never live here again. There are things I will miss about Texas but I can’t see the political situation getting any better in the next decade. It has gotten significantly more hardline conservative since 2010 and its not showing any signs of changing that trajectory. It’s not a place I want to start or raise a family in, so here’s to getting out of this hellscape.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Blotto_Otter posted:

Huh, sure sounds like every Texas Dem wants Beto to run, except for Beto

Will losing to both Ted Cruz *and* Greg Abbott finally end that fucktard's career?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zoux posted:

Hmmm lotta non Texans posting in the Texpol thread it seems

I’ve been a Texan for all of my life except college and when I went to Colorado earlier in the pandemic to be able to be closer to family.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Texans should be used to a bunch of transplants infringing on their space.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We're sure used to being pissed off about it

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

This was an interesting break down with some of the issues I have with Texas cities, this particular example uses Houston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxykI30fS54

As someone who went from five years in Toronto, never needing to use a car to do, uh, much of anything, to back home where not having wheels is a death sentence, was a little jarring. gently caress, just walking around the city is a deathtrap with how poorly things were planned out.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
You're going to get a lot of rubbernecking when your state politics are a circus sideshow, also when they become important on the national stage like with the abortion bounty thing. :shrug:

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Jiro posted:

So what happens if you use your now legal sidearm and fire at a crazy pregnant woman in self defense murdering the baby but the mother to be doesn't die? Do you get sued because you performed an illegal abortion, or are you protected because you only fired in self-defense?

She gets thrown in prison for "having it coming to her", thus aborting her own baby.

Have we tried using "parental freedom" as a way to protect abortion? Republicans love that poo poo to protect literal child punchers. OR Austin could pretend to ban abortion, then the state has to do local preemption to "own the libs".

Numlock posted:

Yeah as long as your not in one of the out groups (Trans, poor, undocumented, etc) your fine, probably even thrive.

Stuff like blaming the winter storm on renewables and trying to stop investment in them that has me worried.

Every crisis that is going to come up is going to be met with a completely nonsensical reaction that will make the problem worse.

Wildfires? Arm firefighters and have them hunt for make belive antifa arsonists instead of fighting the fires. Defend any that are not volunteer departments too.

Another winter storm? Make solar illegal and pass a constitutional amendment requiring 100% of the states energy production to come from coal.

Water shortage? How about a law that makes all water property of the oil industry (needed for fracking).

Hurricanes flooding the coast? Lol gently caress you have a law making it child abuse to raise your kid woke or something.

It's easy to end up in one of the out groups though (in two of them myself). And it's getting worse because of local pre-emption.

But yes - there's no limit to how badly they'll make up some other poo poo to avoid doing absolutely anything at all about problems that are wrecking the state. If the winter storm and our hospitals overflowing with COVID-19 patients just gets them more into culture wars, then nothing will actually get them to do anything sensible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1433179055763959816

Utterly worthless.

But could Texas turn blue?????

https://twitter.com/by_jmiller/status/1433180452500693002

They aren't even trying.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 1, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Texas is ruled by scum trying to kill us all, but in fairness, they're very incompetent so it kinda evens out a lot of the time. It's livable. The government isn't really representative of most of the people you'll meet. If you don't have kids in school, there's only so much the state can do to gently caress with you. When I was a kid, I always thought I'd move away as soon as I could, but I don't really have any escape plan, and that's fine for now.

On a less depressing note, I've been thinking lately about seafood a lot, particularly some good stuff I had in the northeast, and it got me wondering a little. I've seen a lot of midwesterner-type people around here who "just don't like fish" because they're soulless abominations of being from regions that historically didn't have any access to fresh fish, and I was wondering if there's significantly more seafood culture closer to the coast or if those midwesterner types reach out straight to the coast. I feel like I don't hear much about Californians making a big deal over seafood either.

Granted, there's also sort of an outsized importance of fishing in the northeast, because fishermen have some kind of cultural importance like coalmining in the Appalachians.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

wolfs posted:

this loving state

https://twitter.com/mattgertz/status/1433078051907198982?s=21

miscegenation laws live in the hearts of all the concerned parents out there

that *is* dangerously horny

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
People are probably more scandalized by the idea of a principal having a tattoo.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
In that school district? Nah.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
no, its the racism

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Yeah I was not surprised at all it was a Dallas burb.

Dallas is where you go if Austin is too liberal but houston is too brown.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dallas and Houston are p much indistinguishable

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Except Houston has better food.

But Dallas has sidewalks…..

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sir Tonk posted:

that *is* dangerously horny

if you're Mormon or smth

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

that’s a standard wedding / anniversary/ boudoir kind of pose any photographer will direct a couple to do if they have nice side profiles for it

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

hawowanlawow posted:

What tha...

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

jokes posted:

Except Houston has better food.

But Dallas has sidewalks…..

Houston also has sidewalks (inside the loop)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online posted:

I do believe we'll be wetter overall but it should take the form of more flash flooding. I don't think I've ever seen Austin get such Houston like weather with the tropical seabreeze storms all summer

https://twitter.com/Burton_Spectrum/status/1433213542254223368

There you go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

:mods: