Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

MarcusSA posted:

He refutes those in his blog post and frankly it’s not as clear cut of a case as people are making out. This definitely belongs on the other thread though.

thats right. its a conspiracy by a bunch of people all lying about what happened for some reason, and his insane rant which mostly makes no sense or talks about completely irrelevant things is actually a refutation. lay off the juice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

thats right. its a conspiracy by a bunch of people all lying about what happened for some reason, and his insane rant which mostly makes no sense or talks about completely irrelevant things is actually a refutation. lay off the juice

It’s ok if you didn’t read it.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
man I have less than zero interest in defending Alexis Kennedy. I think he probably is a creep and a bad boss at best, plausibly even a sexual harasser who dodged legal consequences.

it's just that the combination of beliefs being put forward ITT ---

> anyone credibly accused of bad/sexist behavior is not allowed to defend themselves

> if they do defend themselves, their defense can be rejected, ignored and mocked a priori

> no evidence presented in defense can possibly outweigh the initial accusation.

> anybody who IS persuaded by such a defense is, themselves, now tainted, and should be shunned and boycotted as well

--- is deeply hosed.

Like, people have every right to be unswayed by Kennedy's defense of himself! But saying "also don't support this totally unrelated third party because he believed the defense," or describing that as "ardently defending an abuser," is a whole separate level.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's ok that you stand up for abusers.

Actually, no it's not ok.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I just keep saying he didn't commit a sexual assault / harassment he was acused of, how am I standing up for abusers? I just believing him over the victims. Guess SomethingAwful Games thread is just too political now, can't break free of the goon hivemind or you'll be torn apart.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Social media was a terrible mistake

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

lazorexplosion posted:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

lazorexplosion posted:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

lazorexplosion posted:

Something Awful was a terrible mistake

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did anyone pick up Monster Harvest?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363350/Monster_Harvest/

I saw some early reviews which seemed pretty favorable but the steam reviews are pretty harsh on it. It’s only $14.44 so it might be worth taking a gamble on if it’s going to be “fixed” with some patches.

A few reviews mentioned that the released game isn’t the same as the demo?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Occultatio posted:

man I have less than zero interest in defending Alexis Kennedy. I think he probably is a creep and a bad boss at best, plausibly even a sexual harasser who dodged legal consequences.

> anyone credibly accused of bad/sexist behavior is not allowed to defend themselves

> if they do defend themselves, their defense can be rejected, ignored and mocked a priori

> no evidence presented in defense can possibly outweigh the initial accusation.

> anybody who IS persuaded by such a defense is, themselves, now tainted, and should be shunned and boycotted as well

--- is deeply hosed.

Like, people have every right to be unswayed by Kennedy's defense of himself! But saying "also don't support this totally unrelated third party because he believed the defense," or describing that as "ardently defending an abuser," is a whole separate level.

yep thahts what everyone thinks, absolutely isnt that the defense is a rant that doesnt refute anything, spends an extreme amount of time talking about a companies legal situation to threaten them for daring to believe his accusers, and is transparently just casting out every possible piece of bait to see if anything bites. youve understood the situation perfecltly :D

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

MarcusSA posted:

Did anyone pick up Monster Harvest?

KatherineOfSky had a nice video about the new release, I didn't watch the whole thing carefully to see if she has any comments on differences from the demo but her videos are usually pretty helpful, even if she's usually sort of blanket positive about games.
Like, I watched enough of the video to know I don't want to play the game. Presumably she played up to the end of the demo before and this is a continuation, but it's only like 40 minutes more playtime, so there isn't information on whether the game just peters out without an endgame or w/e.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lazorexplosion posted:

The Internet was a terrible mistake

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Boba Pearl posted:

I just believing him over the victims.
"Believe women" is straight up a forum rule now. It's the title of a stickied thread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

zachol posted:

KatherineOfSky had a nice video about the new release, I didn't watch the whole thing carefully to see if she has any comments on differences from the demo but her videos are usually pretty helpful, even if she's usually sort of blanket positive about games.
Like, I watched enough of the video to know I don't want to play the game. Presumably she played up to the end of the demo before and this is a continuation, but it's only like 40 minutes more playtime, so there isn't information on whether the game just peters out without an endgame or w/e.

Thanks for this (I gave her a sub as well) and I think I might just pick it up it’s not like it’s going to break the bank and it looks like a different enough take on Star Dew for me to enjoy it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

wait I thought this came out already, are we in groundhog day

Orv
May 4, 2011

Occultatio posted:

--- is deeply hosed.

Alexis Kennedy's defense tics literally every box for "he did this and here's some lies about it but he's gonna weasel out of it because he's a semi-known white guy and no one with power is gonna call him on it." Anyone defending that defense is also a worthless shitbag.

This now also includes you, congratulations.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
My impression of (part of) Kennedy's defense was "the company backing up these accusations is Failbetter, whose games are in direct competition with my own, they have a financial incentive to discredit me and shouldn't be trusted."
Which, uh, might land at least a tiny bit better if it wasn't for the fact that most of the misbehavior was done in the context of his own targets being employees at Failbetter and Kennedy being their boss at that company. Like a much more obvious explanation for why Failbetter would be "trying to discredit their competitor" is that this all happened in the context of happening at Failbetter, the company he was kicked out of. Because he was a lovely predator.
I mean, allegedly. I guess.

edit: Like the other half is just him going "nuh-uh, I never did any of that."
So the explanation is that a bunch of his coworkers hatched a plot to force him out of his own company, and then continue to persecute him by attacking his later work, and that these women colluded on telling the same story of him being abusive? And that the rest of the people in charge of the company are going along with it?
I mean at least I think that's what his explanation of what's happening is, maybe he hasn't literally phrased it that way but I'm not sure what else would make sense if his defense was true.

zachol fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 2, 2021

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
gently caress me, what part of

Occultatio posted:

is in any way ambiguous?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probably cause you said that after you did did it anyway, even obliquely.

Guilt by association is not a magic wand that the metoo movement made up. If you do think that about Kennedy then you should not defend people that think Kennedy is clean.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Occultatio posted:

gently caress me, what part of

is in any way ambiguous?

The problem is, I think - as someone who just caught up on this thread - that a person defending someone alleged of being a predator is not credibly helpful because predators are very good at only showing their predatory behavior to their targets and tend to cultivate supportive allies that they virtue signal as a woke, great person to, specifically so that those people will back them up if they are ever accused of anything.

Character witnesses aren't helpful when the part of someone's character that's on trial is something that they explicitly only show to a specific subset of people.

You can make a valid argument that that is in itself problematic because if someone is unfairly accused then how can they be defended? But when it comes to sex pests these days, no one is being put in the spotlight for a single allegation, they're being put in the spotlight for a trending history of that behavior that was experienced by multiple individuals.

Like, if a close friend of mine was accused, someone that I've known forever, the most I would say in their defense is "I have never personally witnessed them doing that" because that is the only thing that I can know for sure and speak truthfully about, I don't know what they do in the time when I'm not around them, any kind of "they would never do something like that" is irrelevant and naive because they would never do something like that to me, I would have zero ways of knowing about it. So it would be stipulated with "I am not able to judge their guilt or innocence personally and I would encourage you to listen to the words of the accusers in good faith"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 2, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

look i loved The Sea Will Claim Everything, but Jonas sucks for that defense. he sucks and that's just how it is

maybe he will rethink how he sees things in the future but. he had the option to just not say anything and he chose to actively dismiss the stories of many women who came forward

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Occultatio posted:

--- is deeply hosed.

thanks for the cancel culture rant

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:gas:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/r_rdein/status/1432739491547078663

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

legit surprised there isn't some indie game called Cancel Culture yet in the vein of Hatred.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hwurmp posted:

now his ability to post is cancelled :bustem:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Occultatio posted:

--- is deeply hosed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

What an awful loving probe.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'd like to cancel this whole thread if I'm honest!!!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
what's wrong with the probe

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Mordja posted:

What an awful loving probe.

yep. shoudl be free to draw up a list of weird beliefs and assign them to people disagreeing with a specific example. honestly its cancel culture gone mad.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Relax Or DIE posted:

what's wrong with the probe

Nothing, because probes are nothing of consequence, really, which is why probing for causes and solidarity is a thing. Other people commenting on probes being cool or dumb, when it's about something like this, is an indication of what kind of person that is.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Man it would be nice if *just once* someone could say "hey heads up the creator of this game willfully supported this abuser" and it not immediately be followed by people playing internet detective and solving the case themselves.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

graventy posted:

Man it would be nice if *just once* someone could say "hey heads up the creator of this game willfully supported this abuser" and it not immediately be followed by people playing internet detective and solving the case themselves.

I can try ready:

"The creator of this Steam willfully supported abusing steel" because Gabe did forging and likes knives get it

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Occultatio posted:

This'd be fair if Alexis Kennedy wasn't extremely obviously guilty or the post that started this wasn't phrased as a "just so you're aware before purchasing this" caveat lmao

I probably will buy Hand of Merlin when it's out of EA, personally, but that's because I'm willing to give a complete dipshit money if the worst thing he's known for is tweeting "I bought in to the paper thin defense of a creep and now I'm gonna yell about it" :shrug: Like the reality you're requesting is pretty much just already the reality we're in, you're just assuming a pretty mild caveat is an aggressive stance trying to ruin somebody when most people are gonna read it as a pretty mild caveat.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
My favorite part of the Kennedy post is when he claims that the accusations were timed to ruin his daughter's birthday, even though they were part of a large-scale callout of abusive games industry people in general. The ego is just incredible.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Occultatio posted:

Hey just to provide literally any context for this gross little guilt-by-association smear:

https://twitter.com/JonasKyratzes/status/1419606834407690249

I'm late to the party, but I scrolled to the end of this thread and found this wonderful defense of someone accused of using their professional position to groom young women:

https://twitter.com/JonasKyratzes/status/1419606842821517313

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

God, this thread sucks when it's not about games on steam.

Speaking of God and games on steam, El Shaddai ASCENSION OF THE METATRON has just been released.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1581040/El_Shaddai_ASCENSION_OF_THE_METATRON/

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Flimf posted:

Speaking of God and games on steam, El Shaddai ASCENSION OF THE METATRON has just been released.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1581040/El_Shaddai_ASCENSION_OF_THE_METATRON/

I'm both glad and really confused that it got a port after all this time, but I don't think most people will really care about this game all of a sudden.

Also, not supporting keyboard + mouse is usually a sign that the port is going to be pretty lackluster option wise.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Flimf posted:

Ah yes the suck of calling people out for defending abusers instead of letting it continue to normalize and fester like it is in the rest of the gaming sphere. gently caress off.